Start by marking “Say Her Name” as Want to Read:
Say Her Name

Say Her Name

Roberta 'Bobbie' Rowe is not the kind of person who believes in ghosts. A Halloween dare at her ridiculously spooky boarding school is no big deal, especially when her best friend Naya and cute local boy Caine agree to join in too. They are ordered to summon the legendary ghost of 'Bloody Mary': say her name five times in front of a candlelit mirror, and she shall appear.. ...more
Published June 5th 2014 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about Say Her Name, please sign up.
Montgomery1213 I would say that you would be like, cool and then realize the bone-chilling sadness of what happened through the whole story. It's definitely my new…moreI would say that you would be like, cool and then realize the bone-chilling sadness of what happened through the whole story. It's definitely my new favorite novel twist and turns and on top of all that it an epic love story.
So there's the ghost in the mirror with a traumatic past life, the awesome boarding school with secret passageways, insane people, epic friendships AND an epic love story with a twist
honestly what more could you be asking for?(less)
Montgomery1213 I've been asking the same question...
I've been asking the same question...
James/Juno does have some other books including horror stories I'm going to try them my hope is they will amount to the wonders this one has(less)

Start your review of Say Her Name
Kirsty-Marie Jones
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, creepy, 2014, june

No, no, no, no. The Supernatural episode scarred me for life.

----

I love horror, but I don't usually find it scary. I've read Anna Dressed in Blood, and while I do love it, I admit, I didn't find it that scary. Say Her Name beats it for the scare factor. Give me blood, gore, serial killers hacking off body pieces and It doesn't faze me at all, but give me psychological stuff like this and I'm screwed. Say Her Name is my kind of Horror, one that actually scares me.

The Urban Legend of Bloody Mary is o
Cora Tea Party Princess
North East Teenage Book Awards Nominee 2014

WINNER

5 Words: Horror, boarding-school, British, Bloody Mary.

Ok, so that was terrifying.

Let's start with the cover. Look at it. Feel a shiver of fear. Now show it to your younger sister who is living alone and easily scared and duck when she throws things at you because "I bloody live alone and that's terrifying and now I'll have nightmares!".

Say Her Name was a very British horror. It's one that makes you think, it's subtle and builds slowly, the litt"I/>5/>
Pang
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: WHO WANT HORROR READ!
Awesome retelling of 'Bloody Marry'! This was I want for YA horror! It's scary, made me goose bumps. and a little gothic, though I think. ( I felt that way which I like ) Not only it's gore, it also have romance yes! The story is also touching at some part. I LOVE love, love this!
Maddie
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stand-alones, ukya
Genuinely scary with a spooky vibe throughout. Is there anything better than a cursed boarding school and multiple disappearances?
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
I didnt put this book down until it was complete...gripping....haunting....and the ending was to "BLEED FOR"
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: A peaceful good night's sleeper
Two things I learned from this book
1 Never trust a ghost. There's no such thing as a 'good ghost'.
2 Even if there is, it gives you enough heebee-jeebees before you horribly bleed to death.
Good ghosts give you a lot less painful death, but death is what comes to you, rest assured of that!

description

Remember that scene from The Conjuring- the one with the music box chiming "Happy birthday to you" slowly until the dreaded figure appears in the mirror on the inner side of the lid? That's what I have been hearing
Veronica Morfi
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 5/5

Say Her Name is the story of Bloody Mary, or better yet what happens when you call her. In the boarding school were Bobbie and Naya go to, the legend of Bloody Mary comes to life when, in a Halloween dare, they decide to say her name, along with a local boy. What follows is pure mayhem as they realize that Bloody Mary is actually a real ghost that will come for their lives after five days. In the mean time they all experience parts of Mary's lives. Seeing glimpses of her l
Laurie –A Court of Books–
Welcome to my October project – Book 5

As Halloween just is around the corner, I decided to only read books that make me think about this day one way or another during this month of October. I’ve actually been preparing this project for quite some time now, at least a few months, watching youtube recommendation videos, reading articles about the subject and dissect Goodreads for book ideas. I wanted this list to mostly fit my TBR which need to grow smaller, but I’m open as I also want to go out of my comfor
Vanessa
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Vanessa by: Jean BookishThoughts autumnal reads
Well, fucking Goodreads just ate my review and I’d rather chant Bloody Mary in a mirror than type it out again. Or maybe Bloody Mary ate my review? Bish.

So—

This book in a nutshell:

The Ring - Samara + Bloody Mary + British boarding school

I wasn’t sure if I’d keep going when I started but I barreled through since I had bought it, and the great ending took me by surprise and bumped this effortlessly from 2.5 to 3 stars.

If you are a horror aficionado, go int/>The
Ellen Gail
Dec 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, forgettable
3.5 stars.

Bloody Mary has been scaring the shit out of me since my cousin's 10th birthday party. I refused to go into the bathroom with the older girls and chant. Eight year old Ellen Gail knew better. Of course, she also got all her underwear frozen for being a "scaredy cat." But it remains one of my favorite urban legends.

So, did Say Her Name live up to its bloody urban legend roots?

Not really. It's a fine ghost story, very reminiscent of The Ring, but it's light on
Rachel
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The single most terrifying book I've ever read. I kid you not, I'm pretty hard to scare but this one did it! I'm still too terrified to look in a mirror. James Dawson is brilliant! The most addictive book of 2014, It may only be January but it's going to be a tough one to beat...you will not be disappointed. *hides book in freezer for safety*
Melissa Chung
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Well.... I've been spoiled rotten by reading Mary: Summoning by Hillary Monahan because that duology was an exceptional take on the Bloody Mary story. This story, 'Say Her Name', was a good book. It was more of a slow burn though. There wasn't a lot of action. The story itself was a 3.75 star rating and I did like the ending.

Say Her Name takes place at a boarding school on the cliffs of a small town outside Oxsley, England. The school, Piper's Hall School is an all girls school. Our
Jay G
May 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

2.5/5 Stars

Bobbie and her friends Naya attend a prestigious boarding school. On Halloween Night, they are dared to summon the ghost of Bloody Mary by saying her name 5 times into a mirror. Bobbie, Naya and a boy named Caine agree to the game, as they have never believed in ghosts. After they perform the summoning, strange things begin to happen and they realize that the legend of Bloody Mary may be true after all.

T
Vanessa
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
If I was doing half stars, this would probably be more of a 3.5/5.

I've been saving Say Her Name as a Halloween read for god knows how many years, and I finally got around to it! Needless to say, I zoomed through this YA horror in a couple of sittings, and surprisingly it did get to me a bit!

I've always found the myth of Bloody Mary (and anything to do with bloodthirsty ghosts in mirrors) to be quite unnerving - I was terrified of going into my bathroom alone when I was in P4 (age 7-8)
This was an okay story, but I can’t really say that it was scary.

Bobbie was an okay character, although I didn’t think that Bobbie and her friends were particularly bright. Saying ‘Bloody Mary’ five times in front of the mirror is just stupid. Even if it’s not true, why tempt fate?

The storyline in this was okay, but it wasn’t scary, in fact in places I was pretty bored. There were a couple of interesting moments, but for most of the story I was bored, and the pace was way
Kelly-Marie
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
4.5 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel I really liked the main character and her friends. It was a good take on Bloody Mary and it was creepy. Would recommend it highly.
Lauren
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read my full review (with GIFs and pretty book photography!) on Lauren Reads YA.

Say Her Name is the best YA horror I’ve read in a long time. I love urban legends and ghost stories (even though I don’t believe in ghosts) so this was perfect for me. And yes, it is as creepy as promised!

It’s a good thing reading this didn’t take me more than 2 days, because I think I would explode if I had to walk around afraid of each and every reflection for any longer.

I may or may n
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: standalones, ukya
Everyone knows I love a good boarding school! Add horror/the supernatural and it's even better! (see: Monster by C. J. Skuse) Everyone in UK primary schools knows about Bloody Mary, so I thought this whole concept was a fantastic idea, but there were so many layers that I wasn't expecting that somehow turned this into a four star read! I really enjoyed the count down elements and thought the whole thing was paced well, I liked the characters and how the story builds - it was all around really we ...more
K.
Trigger warnings: blood, disappearance of a friend, death, mental health, (view spoiler)

3.5 stars.

I was pleasantly surprised by this! It's a Bloody Mary story, so I pretty much knew what to expect going in. What I *wasn't* expecting was for it to be set in England - for some reason, I anticipated it would be set in the US.

Sure, elements of the story were
Mary
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
this was genuinely entertaining and well written and spooky - so fast paced and easy to read
bless
Yvonne (bookishpanda)

I'm not sure if I'm happy that I finished this or not. I could've read at least a few pages more but on the other hand it's good that I'm done! I tried reading this yesterday night and oh my god. It didn't work! Melissa can tell you how freaked out I was - although it was probably super funny for her - it was all dark, shortly before midnight and I sat with my back to the door, only a tiny, little light was on ... and then I read a creepy scene. It was horrible!

I wasn't so sure of James Dawson's writing at first .
Hillary
Apr 13, 2014 rated it liked it

Not bad! That last part was really good!
And the bath scene with Naya really freaked me out. That was so well done omg.
This is not a properly scary book, I think, but it's really well written. Even if I'm not an easy to scare person, some scenes shocked me.
My advice is to read it in the evening or at night, because your perception of the events in the book changes a lot!
Btw Caine... He's so cute!
rachel ☾
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was quite pleasantly surprised by Say Her Name. It was probably the most plausible horror book I've ever read, and it had such a wonderful cast of characters. I've never been a huge fan of horror books because they are often ridiculously cheesy or have rather stupid protagonists. Say Her Name managed to defeated both of those stereotypes, however, and rewrote the Bloody Mary legend in a entertaining fashion.

The first thing I want to say is that the characters were amazing and there was a lot of diversity so
Liz Barnsley
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
A little while ago I read “Cruel Summer” from this author and adored it, the best fun I’ve had with a book in ages, being a horror movie geek of the highest order and never before being able to get that same feeling from a novel. Now I’ve read “Say her Name” I am admittedly a little bit of a James Dawson fangirl. Yes yes ok I’m middle aged and supposed to be all grown up and stuff but really, who needs that kind of stress in their lives? Far better to remain young at heart and in action.
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
I went into Say Her Name with some reluctance. Firstly, Bloody Mary scares me. I've never managed to fully say her name in front of the mirror (how could anyone?), I covered all my mirrors for a week after I saw the Supernatural episode 'Bloody Mary'. Secondly, I'm not a fan of horrors, generally. You can see my reservations, but I was pleasantly surprised by Say Her Name, even if we got off to a bit of a bumpy start.

Bobbie and her friends are at an all-girls boarding school, it's Halloween, the gi
Abbie
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beware the curse of Bloody Mary. She'll drag you off and steal your soul...

Well, I don't think I'll get any sleep tonight. I made the mistake of reading this book at night, alone, during a rain storm, in front of my glass book case. At first it wasn't scary, I was mildly interested. Four boarding school teens take on an urban legend dare only to find themselves taken one by one by a vengeful demonic ghost. Not scary at all.

Ah, but then the author starts giving out descriptions about
Abbie
Jun 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Say Her Name wasn't a scary read at all.

Bobbie was an okay character, but she had some annoying moments - Especially at the beginning.
Her friends were worse though, and i couldn't bring myself to like them, or care about them really.

For a Horror, you would think there would actually be some scary bits, but there wasn't. There was one part where i thought "OMG i'd freak" but that only lasted for about two seconds.
One of the chapters was quite good, but i couldn't see why they star
Mônica
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
this book is creepy (i mean, bloody mary you guys) with nice settings and cute characters but i was ready to give it 2,5 stars until the last chapter because y e s!!! (view spoiler) (rating: 3,5)
Eliza
Feelings: Disappointed.
Recommended for: people who generally aren't into horror who want something creepy
Liked: The mystery/thriller aspect, Mary's story, no love triangle
Disliked: well....

(Special Snowflake) Bobbie Rowe is a boarding student at Piper's Hall School for Girls where she, along with her best friend Naya (the Hot Rebellious One) and a local boy Caine (Swimmer's Body) participate in an ill-fated dare: Stand in front of a candlelit mirror and say Bloody M

• Othergirl
  • Locked (Locked, #1)
  • The Haunting of Tabitha Grey
  • The Seeing
  • Legend of Witchtrot Road (Spirit Guide, #3)
  • American Savage (The Savages, #2)
  • Angel Dust
  • Birdy
  • This is Not Forgiveness
  • Vowed (The Blackhart Legacy, #2)
  • How to Keep a Boy as a Pet (Circe Shaw, #1)
  • Heart-Shaped Bruise
  • India Dark
  • Tyme's End
  • The Curious Tale of the Lady Caraboo
  • Stray (Stray, #1)
  • A Kiss in the Dark
  • Mister Creecher
Previously wrote under the name James Dawson

Queen of Teen 2014 Juno Dawson is the multi award-winning author of six novels for young adults. In 2016, she authored the best-selling World Book Day title: SPOT THE DIFFERENCE.

Her next novel is the beautiful and emotive MARGOT & ME (Jan 2017) which will be followed by her adult debut, the memoir THE GENDER GAMES (Jul 17).

“Some people just shine a bit brighter than others and it's got nothing to do with what they look like.” 17 likes
“Bobbie wondered if that's how long you truly live for - until the last person who remembers you, until the final bouquet on your grave.” 13 likes