Start by marking “The Ghosts of Aquinnah” as Want to Read:
The Ghosts of Aquinnah

The Ghosts of Aquinnah

A brilliant flash of light transcends through time.

Another freezes a cloaked figure within a frame of salty mist as waves crash against a rocky shore. Her harrowing expression shadows the beacon to a pinprick.

By the next blaze, she is gone. Only the lighthouse remains.

Hannah’s eyes blink in step with each heartbeat. Images of her deceased parents and Martha’s Vineyard e
Published December 5th 2013 by Ink Smith Publishing (first published December 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghosts of Aquinnah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghosts of Aquinnah

Start your review of The Ghosts of Aquinnah
Lisa Regan
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I know a book is great when I keep thinking about it long after I've put it down. That was the case with Julie Flanders' second novel, Ghosts of Aquinnah. I really wanted to devour this book all in one sitting, but life kind of got in the way. When I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it and wondering what was going to happen next! As always, Flanders' writing is wonderful in this book--smooth, elegant, and effortless. She deftly switches back and forth between a present-day story involving ...more
Debbie Christiana
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Ghost of Aquinnah isn’t scary or spooky, she’s a ghost who needs help in righting a wrong and enlists the assistance of Hannah, a freelance writer, who is researching lighthouses. The ghost captures Hannah’s attention via a webcam and Hannah immediately feels the need to find out who the lonely, sad woman is on her computer screen each night.

As soon as Hannah arrives on Martha’s Vineyard, strange clues are left in her hotel room. As she digs into the history of a certain lighthouse we travel
T.B. Markinson
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-book, mystery
Hannah is trying to write a book on New England lighthouses. But she has writer’s block. Not only that, her boyfriend is not supportive and to be blunt, he’s an ass. Hannah desperately wants to find a hook to get her creative juices flowing and to give her book the edge it needs.

One night, while watching one of the lighthouse's webcams in the comfort of her Boston apartment, Hannah spies a woman dressed in old-fashioned clothes. Hannah is intrigued. Then on a different occasion the mysterious w
Annalisa Crawford
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A deftly and delicately woven ghost story, this novel gripped me from the start. I was immersed into 19th century Martha's Vineyard and the present day, as Hannah strives to learn about the strangely dressed woman she sees on her webcam. It's a tragic and unsettling tale which doesn't sink into sentimentality, even though there's a love story at the heart. Plus, it has one of the best one-upmanship-over-an-ex scenes I've read for a while. A brilliant read, and highly recommended.
Susan Swiderski
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Okay, so this really isn't a "spooky" story in the traditional sense. No creepy "Who stole my golden arm?" moans in the middle of the night, no eerie sounds of chains rattling, no blood-curdling yells. Yes, there IS a ghost named Stella in the story, but she isn't at all scary. She's forlorn.

Free-lance writer Hannah's curiosity is immediately aroused when she spots sad Stella on a lighthouse webcam. Not only is it bizarre to see a young woman wandering around the lighthouse after dark, but it's
Cherie
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
A woman on a mission, Hannah seeks the mysterious woman who haunts a lighthouse in Aquinnah in Julie Flanders’ The Ghosts of Aquinnah.

This novel jumps between current time (2013) and historical Martha’s Vineyard (1884). The mysterious woman Hannah sees upon a webcam one night pulls the reader into the tale of Christopher, a shipwrecked young Irishman, and Stella, a young woman married to a man she doesn’t love. My heart ached for Christopher and Stella and the conflict of their budding feelings
Christine Rains
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Researching a story on Martha's Vineyard, Hannah spots a strangely dressed woman out alone at night one of the of the lighthouse webcams. She sees this apparition more than once and cannot resist the call. Hannah travels to discover who this mystery woman is and why she's reaching out to her. Yet she hasn't been back to Martha's Vineyard since her parents' deaths. What will Hannah find when she digs into the past? Something much more than an unsolved murder awaits her.

A marvelously written story
Cathrina Constantine
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Julie Flanders is a remarkable and talented writer. While reading The Ghosts of Aquinnah I was transported to the year 1884. Julie writes with clarity and feeling and you sympathize, or despise her characters with real emotion. Unlike her debut novel, Polar Night, which was way creepier (I mean that in a good way)and has me believing in Vampires, Ghosts of Aquinnah has a warmer ghostly feel.(If you understand that) I love the historical aspects of the book, and you want to scream at the injustic ...more
Susan Oloier
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hannah Forrester is researching a book about lighthouses when a discovery on the Aquinnah lighthouse webcam leads her down a new path—one that takes her to Martha’s Vineyard. It’s a place that holds many bittersweet memories for Hannah. Through her research, Hannah becomes deeply involved in the story of Stella and Christopher who lived on the island in 1884.

The Ghosts of Aquinnah brilliantly alternates between the present and the past. The story unfolds in vivid and rich details, painting a li
Cindy
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's actually a good thing I was snowed in this weekend because from the first few pages I knew I wouldn't be able to put this book down until I finished it. It's such an easy yet captivating read, and the transitions back and forth from 1884 to the present day are seamless. I was writing a review for another book recently that I didn't care for that much, and I explained that a great book to me is one where I don't even notice the words on the page. They just fly by your eyes as you are swept a ...more
Yolanda Renee
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There’s a mystery to be solved, and I love a good mystery, under the direction of a ghost though? Don’t scoff, it works, and works well in The Ghosts of Aquinnah by Julie Flanders.

Stuck in a rut, not to mention writer's block the antagonist Hannah Forrester, travels to Martha’s Vineyard to find answers. She’s just not quite sure what the questions are, but persistence pays off, and she finds the right questions and with the proper research, uncovers a wrong that needs to be made right. Did I men
JoJo
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book had a lot more adventure and romance than I originally expected. There are two story lines in this book: Hannah's and Stella's. Hannah lives presently in the Boston area and Stella who exists presently in her afterlife, but lived in 1884. Hannah is about 32 in the book, stuck in a relationship with a jerk of a man. Stella is about 20 in the story of her life in 1884, stuck in an awful marriage to a man twice her age who physically and mentally abuses her.

Both of these women connect, a
Nick Wilford
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Ghosts of Aquinnah is a really involving, satisfying ghost story which follows the lives of two women - Hannah, a present day writer, and Stella, a young woman in 1884 who is trapped in a loveless marriage and has a message she wants to impart. The two connect in an otherworldly way via a webcam, and Hannah has to find out who this ghostly figure is and becomes deeply drawn into her tragic life.

I really liked the interplay between the first hand accounts of the historical drama - with all it
~ Rose ~ ☯Desert Rose❀

4 Roses

A not-so-spookey ghost story.

In a wonderful murder mystery fashion, the ghost in this book isn't what it seems to be, at first. For Hannah, she's the first pebble in an avalanche of danger, secrets, love and redemption.

I haven't been to New England personally (yet), and a story set there sounded wonderful. After experiencing the wonderful descriptions in this story, I feel as though I've been there. It was a perfect setting for such a rich, sad love story.

I enjoyed the characters introduced, an
Sherry Ellis
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While doing research for a book, Hannah, an aspiring writer, sees a mysterious woman dressed in period clothes on a webcam. Curious, she investigates, and finds herself pulled into a tragic love story and murder that occurred more than one hundred years ago in New England's, Martha's Vineyard.

The story alternates between Hannah's current time (2013) and the ghost, Stella's time (1884). The majority of the book covers Stella's story. Readers will learn who Stella is and how her tragedy involved C
Melissa Ann Goodwin
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I enjoy stories that intermingle past and present - especially where the person in the present is unraveling a mystery about the past. I was most engrossed by the love story between our ghosts, and simply could not put the book down until I knew what had become of them. Their story is real, and beautiful and tragic. And Hannah, the present day heroine is changed by what she learns about them and about herself as she commits herself to righting a long-past wrong. Lov ...more
Melissa Maygrove
This type of book is not my usual literary fare. I'm not really into ghosts and I prefer HEAs. That said, I enjoyed this story. The author made me care for the characters and want to see them find happiness. I liked the way she alternated chapters from the present with those from the past. I also liked the forensic details.

If you're looking for a mysterious, romantic ghost story to savor on a lazy day by the beach or the fire, and you don't mind a tale of star-crossed lovers, give The Ghosts of
Angela Brown
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sometimes, you want to be a part of something...more. That's just what Hannah gets to do in this story. True, there is love, mystery and a murder. But there's a sense of redemption so strongly sought for that as I read this, my heart thumped with great expectation as I turned one page after another.

It's a wonderful love story and a wonderful read.
Noreen Hutchinson
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book grab me from the start of it and didn't want to put it down at all. Love every thing about this book . I read one of her books and didn't know if it was going to be for me. But I love it so please pick it up and have a read for it is the best book I read last year. And had re read it a few time now and still love it.
Luanne Smith
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another great novel by Julie Flanders. I really enjoyed this story and seeing how the two timelines intertwined. Julie has a subtle storytelling style that draws you in and makes you curious about what's going to happen next. Really enjoyed the characters, especially Hannah. Good, satisfying read.
Susan Walker
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. I love the story that jumps between present day and 1884. It keeps you interested until the end. The Author did a great job writing this book. Would recommend it highly!
Carol Stanley-Snow
Sorry...my mistake...did'nt read.
Charlotte
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing, suspenseful. Rich characters...
MSJLibrary
Nov 13, 2014
Jackie
Jan 18, 2014
Travis
rated it did not like it
Feb 06, 2015
Sah Jau
Oct 03, 2013
I am a librarian and writer in Cincinnati, Ohio. I am also a Game of Thrones addict and a slightly obsessive Ohio State Buckeye fan. In addition, I am an animal lover and a rescue advocate and I share my home with my rescued dog and cat.

My debut children's book, Baby Moo's Great Escape, was published in 2016 and its sequel, Baby Moo Goes to Hollywood, will be released in 2018. My novels include t