Start by marking “47 Ronin” as Want to Read:
47 Ronin

47 Ronin

(47 Ronin #1-5)

Japan’s enduring national legend comes to comics! The tale of the 47 Ronin and their epic mission to avenge their wronged master epitomizes the samurai code of honor, and creators Mike Richardson and Stan Sakai have done justice to their story! Meticulously researched and beautifully illustrated, this collection of the acclaimed miniseries recounts this sweeping saga of ...more
Published March 12th 2014 by Dark Horse Comics (first published March 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about 47 Ronin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 47 Ronin

Start your review of 47 Ronin
Sam Quixote
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Set in feudal Japan, 1701, Lord Asano is sent to the court of the Shogun where he lets his temper get the better of him and draws his blade against Kira, an insidious court advisor - a forbidden act within the Shogun’s palace. Though clearly tricked by Kira, honour demands that Asano pay for his crime with his life. Learning of his lord’s death, Asano’s chief retainer, Oishi, leads a small group of loyal followers who make it their mission to see Kira dead - they are the 47 ronin.

Mike
Afro Madonna
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not bad at all . It's a quick read and a very touching story of loyalty .
Lara
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lara by: Madkropotkin
I liked this telling of the 47 Ronin story a lot. I've heard that there are a number of different versions; this seems to be based on the only version I've heard, so it was all already familiar to me. But I thought Richardson did a really good job of telling it, and Stan Sakai's art is great--inspired by Ogata Gekko's woodblock prints, and it shows. I think I'd still like to read (or watch?) a version in which the characters feel a little more real to me, but that's always the trouble I have ...more
Morgan
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I only got this for the art to be honest. I love Stan Sakai's art. I'm use to him just drawing anthropomorphic animals, so this one was a little weird for me...humans? LOL. This comic is worth getting if you like Sakai's art. He draws beautiful landscapes I think.

Now let's talk about the writing. This book reads quickly. In someways that is good and others it's not that great. I'm still a little confused about the event. This book is historical fiction, but it needs a little more meat within the
Jon Nakapalau
Read the hardcover just for the additional features...what a fantastic GN!
47Time
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So many 47's! I love it! The cartoony artwork is simplistic and might be seen as unfitting for the seriousness of the story, but still manages to be expressive and violent when need be. As far as I can tell, the swordplay is authentic, so there are no useless flashy moves here, and the clothing and architecture are spot on as well.

The respected role of samurai has fallen on dark times. Individuals who were viewed as examples to be followed are now corrupt. When a daimyo is provoked into an act
Quentin Wallace
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one. I was actually unfamiliar with the tale of the 47 Ronin, which is a well known story in Japan. When an honorable feudal lord is unfairly forced to commit seppiku and lose his lands and status, his loyal samurai hatch and elaborate plot for revenge and to restore honor to his name. While not exactly a happy ending, it is a very powerful tale of loyalty. The art from Stan Sakai of Yosagi Ujimbo fame fits the story perfectly.

If you have any interest in graphic novels of feudal
Gieliza
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

I really liked the art in this tho I wish there is more variation with the faces. Oftentimes, I couldn't distinguish one character from another. The background and movement work is great tho. The story is easy to follow albeit choppy is some places, but this is a minor issue for me given the page limitations for this medium. Overall, I think this is a good intro to the Japanese legend. Recommended!
Vikas
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
My first introduction to 47 Ronin by the way of the film produced by Keanu Reeves. I haven't watched the movie yet but this was certainly a better to get acquainted with the story of Japan, as they say "To know this story is to know Japan". 47 Ronin is the story from Japan of 1700s and is a saga of Samurais and Shoguns.

As the basis it's a story of taking revenge to restore the honor of their master but this is a story of a way of life, which tells us that honor is above everything else and you
Dimitris
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a sad story.

My girlfriend got this for me as a gift and I've been meaning to read it for sometime now, and finally got to. Really liked it.

This may be the 3rd or 4th different adaptation of the 47 Ronin story I'm reading. A great one too. Thanks mostly to Stan Sakai which I love, his artwork is amazing.

It's about 47 Samurai and their faith to their master. About Bushido and their patience and devotion to get revenge for their master's death.

Really great pace, and an easy read. Wonderful
Stan Pedzick
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
The great are of Stan Sakai used to tell one of the greatest stories in the world.
David Schaafsma
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-history
Richardson, from Dark Horse comics tells the story, in words, a labor of love after more than 30 years since he had initially heard the story; Stan Sakai, who is known for his Dark Horse samurai rabbit series, Usagi Yojimbo, draws the story, and classic historical manga storyteller Kazuo Koike (Lone Wolf and Cub, with Goseki Kojima) consulted on the story. This is one of an endless number of versions of a classic historical Japanese story focusing on the code of Bushido.

“To know this story is to
Skye Kilaen
A head of household betrayed in the Imperial Court. Loyal servants who must avenge their master, but how? And how much are they willing to sacrifice to fulfill that duty?

My heart absolutely broke for the leader of the 47 ronin as he lost his lord and began his journey, and then broke again at several points through and after that journey. Richardson did a great job making this legendary story about people. Sakai is best known for Usagi Yojimbo, so we were quite impressed that Sakai knocks it out
Julie
I'd never read the whole story of the 47 ronin before. Seeing that Stan Sakai was the illustrator was enough to make me pick this graphic novel up by itself, but I was also glad to finally get to read this story.

I can't exactly say that I enjoyed it, because it's a fairly depressing story; however, it's very representative of the mindset and culture in feudal Japan. It's interesting, but I still wish it could have turned out differently.

Stan Sakai's artwork is solid. It's funny seeing him draw
Kenny
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Richardson, Koike and Sakai.
Perfect glimpse into the meaning of bushido.
Ming Wei
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent graphic novel, high quality hard back cover, really impressed with this book
Václav
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This take on well known Japan "samurai" legend (based on historical events) is excellent, with typical Sakai's style of art, which works very well for it. Unlike Sakai's regular Usagi books, the is coloured and more complex (especially in backgrounds), but still simple and fresh. The story have more legend than historical approach- simplified, good/evil difference is amplified. But although this is excellent comics book.
Jillyn
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, requested
47 Ronin is a true national story from Japan of a group of samurai that avenge the death of their leader, using extreme examples of bravery, courage, and loyalty.

I'm not going to lie to you, I was unfamiliar with this story until I saw the movie version in theaters. When I found out, during the course of the film, that it is in fact a well known legend, I did a bit of research to learn a bit more information. And then I logged onto Netgalley, saw this graphic novel interpretation, and knew that
Samantha Tai
This graphic novel is a retelling of the famous Japanese legend and based on real events that occurred in the early 18th century. I was not familiar with this legend.

Forty-seven warriors avenge the death of their wronged master. Lord Asano has been invited to the shogun's palace as part of the welcoming committee to greet the emperor's emissaries. He is being instructed in proper court etiquette by court official Kira Yoshinaka. When Asano refuses to pay Kira's bribe, Kira makes Asano's life at
Malak
My interest in this comic sparked when I saw that Keanu Reeves starred in a new movie with the same title. I was intrigued to see what was the story and how a comic carried it.

The comic had all the element that I expected from it considering it was about an ancient era in Japan. There was samurais, fights, loyalty, honer, wisdom and cherry trees. Mix all of that with a unique art and you get a great comic.
The story was great. It had a well written plot and the arrangement of the comic added to
Stewart Tame
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very nice! Possibly the best version of this classic tale I've ever seen, though I'll confess I've not seen many as yet. As stated in the afterword, while based on a true story, it's become quite encrusted with legend over the years. In this, as in all the versions with which I'm familiar, it's a moving tale of honor, revenge, justice, nobility and sacrifice. Stan Sakai was an excellent choice of artist for this project, bringing a perfect blend of realism and cartoon-y to the story. It's rare ...more
Cale
May 19, 2014 rated it liked it
First off, this is not related in any direct manner to the movie. This is a retelling of the classic tale that the movie apparently takes some liberties from. It's a story very seeped in its culture, as a single slight of status leads to years of scheming and a number of deaths. The story is well told, fairly direct, without getting too detailed on any of the characters. It's very much plot focused. The art is similarly functional, with Sakai's style working very well for the story. It's not a ...more
Sylvester
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
A well-illustrated and clear version of the old tale. For some reason I wasn't thrilled by it. The story itself, I mean. Not in the mood for warriors? All the talk about honor brought up some thoughts. Anyway, not for me so much, probably fantastic for anyone else.
Sharon
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Streamlined, somewhat cleaned retelling of the classic story. Blood and backstory are kept to a minimum; the focus is on honor, not revenge. Beautifully illustrated by Stan Sakai, who has a lot of experience with samurai (albeit rabbits, usually.) Very well done.
Thomas Maluck
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So good that I had to stop reading for the day. Simple, pure, powerful.
Heather Layne
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
Good art style, the layout was easy to follow, the lettering was nice. All things that let me enjoy a graphic novel. Of course the story has been told many times, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Cade
The missing stars are for the art and portrayal of the characters rather than the story itself. The tale of the 47 loyal retainers is a classic and nothing additional can be said about it. I did not necessarily agree with some of the artistic decisions Stan Sakai made with the characters, especially the facial expressions (seeming a little too slapstick at times for the serious subject matter) and some of the background detail seemed excessively busy (especially the streets and interior walls of ...more
Bellatrix of Hoshido
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like feudal Japan, samurai, and/or bushido
Katya Kazbek
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's kind of daft that the first time I get my hands on the 47 Ronin is this version—not like I'm a stranger to Japanese cinema, at all, but by pure coincidence I've never seen these particular Misoguchi or Mifune films. But I do think that the story fits the medium of a graphic novel quite well. There is just enough context shared with the reader, the story moves along quickly, and I'm sure it's a great adaptation for the times. I also liked the twist which establishes the narrator in the story ...more
Callum Shephard
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
For those who’ve only heard of this though the recent film, no this has nothing to do with Keanu Reeves. It has no supernatural elements and no dragons. What an unfortunate number of people in cinemas don’t realise is that this is not some version of the Hobbit with samurai but a famous Japanese folk tale.

The story is famous for its involvement of bushido, symbolising the themes of loyalty and the importance of honour within feudal Japan. While there are many versions and variations of this
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
2015 Hub Reading ...: 47 Ronin 2 9 Jun 17, 2015 10:34AM

• Ronin
  • Usagi Yojimbo: Yokai  (Usagi Yojimbo)
  • B.P.R.D.: Vampire
  • Hellboy: The Complete Short Stories Volume 2
  • UBIK
  • The Return of the Thin White Duke
  • Once in a Blue Moon (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • New Lone Wolf and Cub, Volume 3
  • New Lone Wolf and Cub, Volume 4
  • Bibliomanías
  • New Lone Wolf and Cub, Volume 1
  • New Lone Wolf and Cub, Volume 2
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 2: Samurai (Usagi Yojimbo, #2)
  • Persephone's Garden
  • Infidel
  • African Samurai: The True Story of Yasuke, a Legendary Black Warrior in Feudal Japan
  • Outer Darkness, Vol. 1: Each Other's Throats