Start by marking “Forrest Gump (Forrest Gump, #1)” as Want to Read:
Forrest Gump (Forrest Gump, #1)

Forrest Gump

(Forrest Gump #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  60,597 ratings  ·  2,475 reviews
At 6'6" and 240lbs, Forrest Gump is difficult to ignore. This satire follows him from the football dynasties of Bear Bryant to Vietnam, and from encounters with Presidents Johnson and Nixon to pow-wows with Chairman Mao. It also takes in Harvard University, a Hollywood set, and a NASA mission.

"Forrest Gump is line bred out of Voltaire and Huck Finn; its humour is wild and
Published October 1st 2002 by Washington Square Press (first published December 31st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Forrest Gump, please sign up.
Ken Stampe Not only does he not describe his friendship with Jenny using the classic line from the film, his mother doesn't describe life like a box of chocolate…moreNot only does he not describe his friendship with Jenny using the classic line from the film, his mother doesn't describe life like a box of chocolates. The paper version of Forrest differs wildly from the cellulose version but is still an iconic figure.(less)

·  60,597 ratings  ·  2,475 reviews

Start your review of Forrest Gump (Forrest Gump, #1)
Alejandro
I love the film, but hate this dang book!

RUN, READER, RUN!

There are very few books that I really hate, and definitely this is one of those few books that I truly hate and even I regret the time invested to read it.

There are several books that I didn't enjoy to read them or I thought that they could be better, etc...

However to reach the level of hating the book that's something that it's not usual for me.

So, you're being warned! Run, reader, run!

PLAYING DEVIL'S ADVOCATE

Maybe (juuuuuu
Ahmad Sharabiani
Forrest Gump, Winston Groom

Forrest Gump is a 1986 novel by Winston Groom. The title character retells adventures ranging from shrimp boating and ping pong championships, to thinking about his childhood love, as he bumbles his way through American history, with everything from the Vietnam War to college football becoming part of the story.

Forrest Gump, named after General Nathan Bedford Forrest, narrates the story of his life.

Miss Henderson, with whom Forrest is infatuated, gives him reading less
Jason
Dec 31, 2011 rated it did not like it
I loved the movie. Don't get me wrong, the film adaption is one of my favorite movies of all time- that's precisely why I wanted to give the book a try, because the book's always better than the movie, right? Well, this was the exception. Because 'Forrest Gump' is manipulative, outrageous, poorly characterized, and awkwardly written. I read an article once that said that the only reason there wasn't a film sequel to 'Forrest Gump' was because the author didn't get enough credit for writing the b ...more
Matthew
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matthew by: Horace Derwent
This one is tough to rate. Forrest Gump is a favorite movie of mine that has contributed a lot to pop culture for the past almost three decades. Pretty much everyone knows and has used quotes from this movie. Often the mantra is "read the book first" or "the book is better than the movie". But, with this one I went in feeling that the movie had way too much control of my impressions so I spent most of the time trying to ask myself, "what would I think of this book if the movie didn't exist at al ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
This is one of those cases where the movie is better than the book. It happens.

I bought this book, which inspired the Forrest Gump movie, because my hubby and I loved the movie so much. Public Service Alert: The book's plot has almost nothing to do with the movie's plot, except on the most basic level of being a story about an autistic savant who finds himself in the middle of crucial, often world-changing events.

The book is a satire, while the movie really isn't. Forrest's personality in the b
Supratim
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
I had heard so many fantastic things about the movie, but I didn’t know that it was based on a book. I was pleasantly surprised when I came across the book during one of my book hunts.

The story is narrated by the eponymous protagonist of the book, who introduces himself as an idiot but also says that he is probably a lot brighter than what people think. The introduction was pretty good.

The world might regard Forrest as an idiot, but let me tell you he is exceptionally talented with the harmonica
Tyler J Gray
Casual sexism, homophobia, ableism, racism, rape that is apparently ok, even hiring a molester because why the fuck not? Reducing women to bitches with tits at times, fuck everything else.

Is there good in this book? Sure. At times I loved Forrest's POV and it has some little gems here and there, a good message or two. But mostly all I found was garbage that didn't need to be in the story, it served no purpose. I'd find myself liking something only to then see some unnessary crap and be taken rig
Dave
Aug 27, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Rarely do I go to a movie and say that the movie was definitely better than the book, but this was one time that was true. I really liked the movie with the great soundtrack setting the scenes throughout the 60's and 70's, and of course, Tom Hanks played a GREAT Forrest. I did enjoy how the book portrayed Forrest landing in even more incredible situations, such as being an astronaut, almost being cannibals lunch, and even rescuing Raquel Welch. I would give the movie 4 out of 5 stars, but I can ...more
Frank Anderson
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In a way it's a real shame that this book will forever be connected (and usurped in the minds of most) by the iconic Tom Hanks movie. I found this book on my father's shelf and the cover- featuring a mongoloid-looking face- grabbed me almost instantly. When I started to read, I wasn't disappointed.

The big reason I think you are seeing so many low ratings for this book is simple- This is a much darker book than the movie is.

Forrest Gump is about how we people have to overcome all the bad things
David
May 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
Forrest Gump

(This review is as much a criticism of the movie as it is of the book, possibly more so, in that the book was not quite the crock of mawkish drivel that the movie was)

Gosh, where to begin?

For starters, our boy Forrest has an I.Q. of 75. Played - apparently not much of a stretch - by Tom Hanks, on a natural stop along the career arc that took him from the simpering idiocy of Bosom Buddies to the affront to the intelligence that is The DaVinci Code.

You might reasonably ask what type
Perry
Saw the movie several times. Loved it.

Here's to placing decency over dishonor, to rising up to stand up for our daughters and mothers and sisters, and saying #METOO, #I2STAND4U

Congratulations, Alabama's new senator-elect Doug Jones:

Oh, my JUBILATION and huge sigh of relief that my state of Alabama did NOT elect the backwards pederast Roy Moore as United States senator.
Theresa
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I never watched the movie, but from what I've heard and seen in other reviews the book and movie are two entirely separate things only joined by a title. That being said, I loved this book so much that I probably will never watch the movie.

Forrest Gump is an idiot, but an idiot who has had more adventures than I could dream of. He has gone to college on a football scholarship, fought in Vietnam, and went on to start his own business. He did manage to get into a few scrapes along the way, but alw
I recently vacationed in Savannah, Georgia and happened to walk by the famous Forest Gump bench. It didn’t mean a whole lot to me since I’ve never seen the movie, but ever since I outed myself of this fact, all my friends and family are insisting I watch it. Of course, I’m reading first! ...and plan to watch sometime this summer. I really don’t enjoy reading accents so I opted for the audiobook which I thought was well-done with an appropriately Southern accented narrator. I found this story sho ...more
Ron Wallace
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-shelf
I read this book after watching the movie, and learned how vastly different it was from the cinematic version. Despite the differences and the fact I enjoyed the movie a great deal, I discovered the old adage remained true: the book was indeed better. It led me to the sequel and a couple of Groom's other books. His Southern flair is a lot of fun. I'd recommend this book to fans of the movie and most literature fans despite the differences. Both have their own charms. Very readable stuff if you a ...more
Julie
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Forrest Gump is one of those books that I've always wanted to read but worried that I'd seen the movie too many times to approach the story with fresh eyes.

But, I walked by it at the library yesterday, decided to check it out, and finished it today. It turns out, the book has very little in common with the movie, and it really stands on its own as a unique story.

I loved the movie, but, after reading the book, I see now that the author, Winston Groom, was going for more of a modern retelling of G
Diane Barnes
Oct 23, 2020 rated it liked it
The jacket blurb explains that this book was the inspiration for the iconic movie starting Tom Hanks. Inspiration is the key word here, because that's about all they have in common. Character's names and a few key scenes from his football and military experiences, but other than that, it's total farce. Funny in places, but a little over the top for my taste.
Having said that, there is a lot of humor here, with the author poking fun at certain sacred cows in American society. A lot of people don't
W
Apr 25, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: seen-as-movies
So,this movie too was based on a book ! I am not a fan of the movie,I disliked it. The humour was crude and I was very surprised when it won four Oscars,best picture,best actor,best director,best screenplay.

And to think that some of the great performers of the screen never won an Oscar.I'm not too enamoured of the Academy's choices,anyway.And if a movie like this wins so big,then they make some poor choices.

I like Tom Hanks,but I didn't like him in this role.Seems there were some changes from th
Israt Zaman Disha
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5*
I have very mixed feelings about this one. I heard the movie is very good. Before watching the movie I decided to read the book like I always do. And when I started it, it was magical. Plain, simple description but it grabbed me from the beginning. But at some point, it got really unrealistic and after that the magic kind of died. But overall it’s a good story. Sometimes it gave a poke deep down my mind with some lines.

Jim
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the movie with Tom Hanks, so thought the book would be excellent. It was good, but quite different. The movie certainly held true to the overall theme, but did it better, IMO. The first third of the book was fantastic. The middle third wasn't very good, but the last third picked back up & the ending was fantastic. Still, this was well worth reading. It was quick, thoughtful, & had me laughing out load several times.

If you're easily offended, this book isn't for you since this is written
Brendan
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll get something off my chest before reviewing this one. I was super annoyed to see all the negative reviews that the book wasn't the movie. Is this such a shock? In my opinion the shining was a better movie compared to the book but that's only because they couldn't really commit to some of the outlandish set pieces. Forrest Gump the movie is excellent and a very entertaining film, it should not have beat Pulp Fiction for best picture but that's another story. The book has some funny moments a ...more
Misty's Book Space
This was another book that I found at a library sale that I never knew was a book. I have watched the movie several times and really liked it so once again I went into this book expecting it to be very similar to the movie.

While the book and movie had many similarities with some slight differences there was some things that started happening about halfway through the book that were just weird and made no sense whatsoever to me.

The way Forrest is portrayed in the book could come off as very offen
Chantal
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook-en, audiobook
So I was really surprised that the book was nothing like the movie. I love that Forrest Gump movie, watch it about 2 times a year. I really had to get used to it being something totally different and when I got used to it, I started liking the book. However the space shuttle thing and later on the cannibals.. it was really over the top. The book never seemed to stop after that. All I can say is that I am glad I have read it, but that is that.
Aishu Rehman
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Packed full of laughs, poor Forest just can't do anything right. Quite different from the film, which in this rare instance IS, in my opinion, better than the book. The storyline in the film flows a lot better, but the book is still worth a read. The only thing which I had to become accustomed to, is slowing my reading speed so that the phonetically written dialogue had an authentic slow drawl. ...more
Barbara
Aug 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Social satire. Parts are clever and parts hit you over the head with the world's largest plot mallet. ...more
Shelby Hallenbeck
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Alright. Before I say anything about the book, I have to tell you that I never saw the movie. Never. In fact, before my boyfriend lent me this book I was simply under the impression that this book is about a southern man who likes ping pong and thinks that life is like a box of chocolates. So, no comparisons to the movie here.

To sum things up, this book follows the life of Forrest Gump, a lovable idiot with a few remarkable skills. A bunch of crazy stuff happens, including Forrest becoming a Vie
Linda
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Tatevik
Long time ago I saw the movie. The only thing I remembered was the deep slow voice of Forrest narrating. I don't even remember if I liked the film or not.
The book...
description
It was going so slow, and I was losing the thread of thoughts at times. The first part was good, I was really affected when he was telling about war. Then he was put in the spaceship, and that was it. The same experience was while reading The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared. Some made-up story line
Blake Roche
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Don't understand all the bad reviews for this book. Sure, the movie is one of the greatest, but that doesn't mean you have to bash what it's based on. This is an entirely different experience than the movie. You can pick out the occasional event, but the movie is only a skeleton if the book's plot. Just a few small difference - Forrest never mentions leg braces, only plays one year of college football, goes on to be an astronaut, cohabitant of cannibal cotton-farmers, creature from the black lag ...more
David Carraturo
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
A very rare case where the screenplay adaption provided a richer, better story than the novel. Gump started out familiar and ended that way as well. However, the middle portion was almost unreadable as I do like a grain of believably even with this type of story. There were times where I thought Winston Groom was going through the motions and seeing how far-fetched he could make the storyline. If I were not already comparing vs the movie - which I loved - then I probably would have put the book ...more
Eslam Abdelghany
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
The usual crash between the book& the movie...
Tom Hanks of course wins,,, Forrest&Jenny relationship was, somewhat, to me ,inspiring, and so true, real, authentic,,,
I quite impressed & touched by the content of the work, seeting aside some inquiries concerning the development of the characters &plot progression,,,
After all, Sentiment prevails :)

• A Beautiful Mind
  • The Pursuit of Happyness
  • Braveheart
  • Good Will Hunting
  • Dead Poets Society
  • A Beautiful Mind: The Shooting Script
  • Dances with Wolves (Dances with Wolves, #1)
  • The Shawshank Redemption: The Shooting Script
  • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in His Adventure on Earth
  • James Cameron's Titanic
  • Million Dollar Baby: Stories from the Corner
  • Steel Magnolias
Winston Francis Groom Jr. was an American novelist and non-fiction writer, best known for his book Forrest Gump, which was adapted into a film in 1994. Groom was born in Washington, D.C., but grew up in Mobile, Alabama where he attended University Military School (now known as UMS-Wright Preparatory School). He attended the University of Alabama, where he was a member of Delta Tau Delta and the Ar ...more

Forrest Gump (2 books)
  • Gump and Co. (Forrest Gump, #2)