Start by marking “The Pearliad” as Want to Read:
The Pearliad

The Pearliad

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  11 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Even us simple folk know how the world works. Each person has an arca, which is set on the earth at the same time as they are and leaves when they depart. Most people don't see their own arca in their lifetime - they just know that it's out there somewhere, their biggest vulnerability, the key that unlocks the door to death. Because that one little item - which could be an ...more
Published April 15th 2014 by Limehouse Books (first published February 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Pearliad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pearliad

Clemie Decaudaveine
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book turned a rather dismal flight into an adventure! I loved the way in which the reader was slowly guided into a world so different and at the same time so similar to the one we know, and how credible the characters are. The ease and beauty of quite a few sentences made me stop and start scrabbling for a pen! I can barely wait for the next two to be in my grasp.
Ally
Feb 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Solid debut. At times I felt it was a bit rushed, I wanted to dwell in the places Effie visited longer to get a more nuanced feel for the environment, especially through direct experience rather than narrative, but the story is a strong point, fast-paced and compelling. Saying all this I'm not usually a fan of YA so that I'm waiting for the next one is a positive sign!
Daniel Brooks
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great and thrilling read from start to finish - a real page turner. Not only is the story engaging but the book is also really well written. The story is really unique and full of suspense, adventure, mystery and myth. Can't wait for the next one!!
Sofia
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's a very original story, and, having met the author, I can appreciate how it arose and the amount of thought that went into it. The ending was so good! It's such a cliffhanger, and I cried when... spoilers.... But honestly, I can't wait for the second instalment!
Beverley Hoe
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've been meaning to read this for ages. it was,recommended to me by a friend, whose daughter knew the author at Oxford. a tenuous link really but enough to make me decide to give it a go. I really enjoyed it, a mystical adventure with plenty to keep me guessing, a real shock at one point and a desire at the end to read the next book immediately - a problem as its not published yet!
Neringa
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was really surprised by this book and can't wait to read parts 2 and 3. It's very strong and engaging story, not another cheap YA novel. Thought I thought some places are a bit rushed and could have been a bit longer - to endure the reading pleasure. The style is not boring and the world created is catchy.
Matt Connell
Emily Haggerty
Jenna Blake Morris
Mar 19, 2014
Rosie
Apr 02, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
added it
is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2018
Emma
Jul 14, 2018
Rosie Pugh is a young British author. After four magical years among the dreaming spires of Oxford she was awarded a degree in Classics and English from Jesus College in 2015. She is currently studying for an MPhil in Medieval Studies at the University of Bristol.
When she isn't getting nerdily excited about medieval manuscripts, Rosie can normally be found in her writing hut at home in Malvern, W
More about Rosie Pugh
“... all sorts of wonderful things got washed up on the beach – crates of clothes and cutlery and children’s toys, boxes of engine parts and television screens and electrical wires like tangled snakes in the water. I found them fascinating, like relics from a distant time, even though I knew it was us who lived in the past.” 0 likes