Start by marking “Dying for a Date (Laurel McKay Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dying for a Date (Laurel McKay Mysteries, #1)

Dying for a Date

(Laurel McKay Mysteries #1)

WOULD DATING BE THE DEATH OF HER?

Unsure if she is looking for Mr. Right, or Mr. Every Other Saturday Night, divorced mother of two, Laurel McKay reluctantly joins THE LOVE CLUB, a popular local dating service. Dressed to kill, she meets bachelor number one at a trendy restaurant. But the date is a bust, literally, when the guy decides Laurel is dessert, and she breaks his
Published September 25th 2013 by CreateSpace (first published June 6th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dying for a Date, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dying for a Date

Start your review of Dying for a Date (Laurel McKay Mysteries, #1)
Sa
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This author has what I hope to have if I ever write a book:a smoothly flowing story and a great sense of humour.The humour is so natural without being tasteless or trying too hard.
DelAnne Frazee
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dying For A Date
Author: Cindy Sample

(Synnopsis)

What do a CPA Tax Accountant, A Doctor and A Insurance Underwriter have in common. Why the Love Club, of course.

Laurel McKay, 39, is a recently divorced mother of two looking to get back into the dating scene. Unsure of how to go about it she is talked into joining The Love Club. Her first date is with Garrett Lindstrom, a handsome, self absorbed and successful CPA. Following an altercation with her date where she escapes his persistant
Pamela
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Darling!

I'm going to admit I wouldn't have picked up this book if I hadn't chatted with the author on FB as well as in person. But when she put it on sale - I couldn't resist.

Good move on her part and good move on my part! I'm now addicted to this clever, very funny series and look forward to reading more books in this series and more books by this author.

Job well done Ms. Sample!
Sabine
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I had this on my kindle for a looong time...and that's exactly when I should have read it. A great mystery and lots of humour combined in this awesome story. Some laugh out loud situations and some very good chuckles. #2 in this series is already downloaded and I'll start it right away.
Very much enjoyed this!
Sandee
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ereader
Over the top in story and humour but I really enjoyed it. Laurel is back in the dating world but her dates keep dying. Circumstances are too leading to keep Laurel from being anything but a suspect so she and her gang decide to help the investigation along. The author keeps us from figuring out the culprit rather well, until the last part of the book. I think the situations were a bit forced at times, especially at the end but I couldn't put it down.
Jennifer Walker
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy mystery lovers
Laurel McKay isn't exactly what many men consider an ideal date. She's divorced, the mother of two kids, and her dates keep showing up dead. When she is, quite naturally, considered to be the only suspect in the two cases that otherwise seem to have no connection, Laurel decides that she is her own best shot at proving her innocence by solving the murders herself.

Cindy Sample's debut novel is a hilarious romp, dragging the reader along with Laurel from humiliation at her kid's soccer game to a
Victoria
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've often wondered if I were to write a book, what could I possibly write about because working in the mortgage industry isn't too glamorous or exciting. How wrong I was! I can't express enough how tickled-pink I was to read this book and felt like I was 'at home' reading about loans, underwriters, real estate agents & appraisers. Yes, I can see your eyes rolling now. I loved the author's writing style of mystery and comedy. This book is a lite read that you can't take too seriously. Her ...more
Susan Griscom
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I absolutely adored this book, a romantic murder mystery set in my hometown! What a treat! I will never look at Salmon Falls or any of the other places Ms. Sample mentions in her book, the same way again. I will however, in my fantasy world, be looking out for Detective Hunk. Ms. Sample is amazingly witty. Her character, Laurel McKay, is charming and so relatable to me, having been a single-looking-for-love-in-all-the-wrong-places-soccer/hockey mom at one time. I had the pleasure of meeting ...more
Charlene Intriago
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2015
A divorced mother of two, Laurel McKay joins a local dating service called The Love Club. First date doesn't end up too well. Second one doesn't either. Next thing she knows she's looking like a possible murder suspect and thinks with a little sleuthing on her own she can clear her name.

It's cute. It's light. It's a murder mystery along with some romance. And it's got some funny parts. What's not to like!
L.D. Markham
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of meeting Cindy Sample at a promotional event. I don't normally read humorous mysteries or cozies. I found this to be delightful read and laughed out loud several times. The story is concise and a fast read. I couldn't put it down! Her protagonist is very relatable and has a self-deprecating humor that was also easy to relate to. I also loved that it took place in my hometown. I can't wait to read Dying for a Dance.
Suzy
Aug 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
So boring to me, couldn't get past page 86. I was just reading dialogue.
Judy Sheluk
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fans of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum will love Laurel McKay, a 39-year-old divorced mother of a teenaged daughter and twin boys, who thinks she may be ready to try the dating scene by joining the Love Club. Unfortunately, things don't go well for Laurel, especially when her Love Club dates end up getting murdered.
The writing is flawlessly fast-paced and liberally laced with humor that at times made me laugh out loud, but there's also clever storytelling at work here, a hint or three of
Pam
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great mystery but funny and fun as well. I love this series of books.
Yvonna
Engrossing mystery

Wacky exploits of the main character and her detecting cohorts highlight this delightful mystery. At times, I was laughing so hard I was crying. Loved the characters, loved the story, and I hope I love the rest of the series. I can't wait!
Christy
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laurel McKay, a recently divorced soccer mom who works as a mortgage loan underwriter, signs up for a six-month membership with a dating service called The Love Club. Her first date ends abruptly after she breaks her date’s nose when he gets too frisky. Laurel’s ready to give it up but can’t justify losing her money, so decides to try once more. But before that occurs, she finds herself the number one suspect when her first date’s body is found in his car with his head bashed in. If that isn’t ...more
Sue Cullins
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful cozy mystery romantic story

I loved this book. It is a wonderful romantic comedy. It keeps you guessing who the killer is. It has just enough humor to keep it light. I loved the way Laurel and her mother interacted. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading a good clean fun cozy mystery. It is great.
Magiccats
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I found this book laugh out loud funny and would highly recommend it to anyone that appreciates a humorous mystery. It was a nice light read and I found it absolutely hilarious.

I know I have found a good book when I find myself laughing out loud. Great story. Kudos to the author. I will be reading your entire series.
Ron Chicaferro
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laurel McKay is a lovable mom and a hard worker at the office. In her spare time she's out trying to solve a triple murder before she's arrested for the crimes! I never thought I would love a soccer mom, but you can't help falling for this funny, quirky, wonderful woman as she trys to deal with these crimes. The writing is crisp, smart and quick moving - - this is a book you'll love to read!
Bob
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent character development, and a plot which keeps you interested through the entire book. "Dying for a Date" was hard to put down. Enough romance to satisfy anyone, but clean enough to lend to your family or friends without being embarassed. Great combination. Thank you Ms. Sample! I really enjoyed your book!
Lynn Lerch
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun mystery that takes place in Placerville and El Dorado Hills. A mortgage banker decides to start dating and goes to a dating club. One after another of her dates are killed. Who is killing them and why?
Lane Stone
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First line is: 'If I'd known my clothes would be covered in blood by the end of the evening, I probably wouldn't have agonized over my wardrobe selection.' Sets the tone perfectly for this fun book. The style is easy, never forced, and the protagonist is someone you want to spend time with.
Amber Garza
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! My book club read this book last year and Cindy was gracious enough to attend our book club meeting. We loved her and her hilarious mystery so much, we invited her again when the sequel came out! Now we're anxiously awaiting her third one.
Megan
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was hilarious. It had lots of one-liners and was pretty clean. I recommended the book to my mom. For the past few days I have heard her laughing as she reads it. I can't wait to read the sequel.
Jeannette
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, entertaining, interesting characters make an excellent read.
Christine Page
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, was funny, cute and well written.
Rivkah
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
What a great book; a little Evanovich mixed with Cruisie. I'll be back for more!
Bonnie Phelps
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A funny, sassy page-turner.
Diana Hershberger
I am hooked

Give me more. Loved all the characters. Plot is not c.onfusing in its complexity, but does ' nt Give the ending away
Tere Fredericks
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Title is Perfect

When your husband leaves you for younger woman, and you have two kids and a demanding job, how do you find a date?

Some women join a dating agency. Some women actually get a date that way. Laurel does. Twice. Sadly, both dates turn up dead before the night is over. Number one suspect is the person who saw them last. Laurel.

Fully aware of the sheriff's department detectives having her squarely in their sight as number one suspect, what can Laurel do but ignore the experts and
Kat Taylor
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No More Dieing!!!

Laurel is thirty-nine divorcey working as an under writer of bank lowns. Laurel is going out on her first date since her divorce and she is so nervous, she meets her date at the restaurant things seem to be going fine until lieveing Laurel finds she has locked her car keys and sell phone in her car and thats not the wores of it every thing goes down hill from there. What do you do when your date is found dead the next morning. An excellent array of caracters humour between
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: # 96 - Dying for a Date 1 2 Apr 26, 2016 01:52PM

• A Tough Case to Crack (Nuts About Nuts Mystery #1)
  • Gunpowder Chowder (Hooked & Cooked #1)
  • A Devilish Punishment (Devil Springs Cozy Mysteries, #1)
  • Maggie and the Black-Tie Affair (Carita Cove #1)
  • Fit to Be French Fried (Felicia's Food Truck One Hour Cozies Book 1)
  • Friends and Foes (A Read Wine Bookstore Cozy Mystery Prequel)
  • Cozy Mystery Starter Set - Six Books
  • Killer Cocktail: Patricia Fisher Mysteries 2.5 (A Humorous Cruise Ship Cozy Mystery)
  • Miz Scarlet and the Vanishing Visitor
  • Hound on the Sound
  • Sleeping Dogs Don't Lie (Albertus Eagle Detective Beagle #0.5)
  • Involuntary Turnover (Kat Voyzey Mysteries, #1)
  • Death of a Cantankerous Old Coot
  • Miz Scarlet and the Holiday Houseguests (A Scarlet Wilson Mystery, #3)
  • A Deadly Delivery (A Psychic Cafe Mystery, #1)
  • The Art & Craft of Murder (Whistler's Cove #1)
  • Out of Options (Century Cottage Cozy Mysteries, #0,5)
  • Murder in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #1)
Cindy Sample is a former corporate CEO who decided plotting murder was more fun than plodding through paperwork. After one too many mergers,she retired to write her national bestselling and award-winning humorous mystery series set in the gold country of California. Her experiences as a single Mom with on-line dating sites and dating agencies fueled the concept for DYING FOR A DATE. Ballroom dance ...more

Laurel McKay Mysteries (6 books)
  • Dying for a Dance (Laurel McKay Mysteries, #2)
  • Dying for a Daiquiri (Laurel McKay Mysteries, #3)
  • Dying for a Dude (Laurel McKay Mysteries, #4)
  • Dying for a Donut (Laurel McKay Mysteries, #5)
  • Dying for a Diamond (Laurel McKay Mysteries, #6)
“for at least one high-octane cup of caffeine.” 0 likes