Start by marking “Pat and Dick: The Nixons, an Intimate Portrait of a Marriage” as Want to Read:
Pat and Dick: The Nixons, an Intimate Portrait of a Marriage

Pat and Dick: The Nixons, an Intimate Portrait of a Marriage

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Shortlisted for the 2015 Plutarch Award for Best Biography, “the most humanizing portrait of the Nixons we’re likely to have” (Douglas Brinkley) is a sweeping depiction of the turbulent fifty-three-year marriage of Richard and Pat Nixon.

When Americans remember the controversial Nixons, they usually focus on the political triumphs, the turbulent White House years, and the h
Published August 5th 2014 by Threshold Editions (first published January 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Pat and Dick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pat and Dick

Kate Buford
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was brought up as a Diaper Nixon Hater. My grandfather rang doorbells for Helen Gahagan Douglas, who ran against Nixon for the U.S. Senate in 1950 in California in the famous "pink sheet" campaign. Then came Watergate. However, while not trying to rehabilitate Nixon (impossible, in my opinion), Swift here finds the humanity in the man through looking at his marriage to Pat. Who knew?

Full disclosure: Swift and I are members of the same biographers group in NYC and I read this book in manuscript
David
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have read on President and Mrs. Nixon - while I have always admired Mrs. Nixon and felt she never got the credit she deserved for all she did in multiple arena's, I was never a fan of the President. However, after reading Dr. Swift's book, I have a clear understanding of both the President and the First Lady.

Dr. Swift drastically changed my perception of President Nixon for the better and greatly added my appreciation for his remarkable wife.

I hope this book will help ch
John Farrell
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The amazing story of two hard-luck kids who fell in love, set out to change the world, climbed the highest peak and lost it all.
Liza
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a therapist and biographer, Will Swift is uniquely qualified to delve into the fascinating story of Richard and Pat Nixon’s 50-year marriage. Swift does a superb job, detailing the couple’s unexpectedly romantic courtship, times of darkness and distance between them, and a touching period of late-life reconnection.

I’m fascinated by the unique challenges faced by presidential couples. Whether it’s the Washingtons, Trumans, or Obamas, the intense scrutiny and house-of-mirrors nature of the offi
Judy
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are many other books about and by Richard Nixon, but in my mind one of the things that really made him interesting (and successful, for that matter) was his stalwart, supportive, intelligent, and charming wife. This book shows a side of Dick that most people never saw, one that is quite likable. I was surprised by Dick's reliance on Pat. From the very beginning, she helped him to keep going in the face of strong opposition and to confront the many demons in his life. Pat was often the vict ...more
Clint
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well done portrait of the Nixon marriage, from its rocky courtship to its ups and downs during the couple's public career to its warm, closer final nearly 20 years. Fairly written, not like the many biographies of the 37th president that are penned beginning with a particular political slant. Don't read this expecting a political biography; it covers their lives but from the point of their relationship.
Barbara
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book--I found it compelling reading. I learned a lot about a tumultuous period and found it fascinating to view the Nixons through the prism of their relationship. Pat emerges as a more sympathetic figure than I could ever have imagined. A wonderfully interesting work of biography and American history.
Jkhickel
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Contemporary pundits and commentators called Pat and Richard Nixon's marriage "loveless," and referred to her as "Plastic Pat." This book proves what most of us already know: Pundits and commentators are idiots.

Whatever opinion you may have of Richard Nixon, I think everyone can agree that he was a tightly controlled person who seldom revealed his emotions during most of his public life. So one of the most dramatic moments in Nixon's highly dramatic life was during Pat's 1993 funeral, where he s
Harley
This book tells the fascinating love story of Richard and Pat Nixon and how their relationship survived the tumultuous world of politics. Without the emotional support, guidance and love of Pat, Nixon would never have become President. She was the force that kept him pushing him. When people tried to force him to resign as the Republican Vice-Presidential candidate in 1952, Pat was the one who kept him going. She said:

"You can't thing of resigning. If you do, Eisenhower will lose. You will carry
Diana
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alyssa
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides insights into the 53 year marriage of a very controversial and complex couple. The author does an excellent job humanizing both Richard and Pat Nixon. I came away with an understanding of their public and private relationship.
Jenna
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't feel like this book gives you a better understanding of Nixon; if anything, I feel more conflicted than when I began reading. He clearly loved his wife, but he was also clearly an asshole.

Either way, it's an interesting look at Nixon and his wife.
Annie Booker
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent insight into a misunderstood yet ultimately happy marriage during the years leading up to one of the US"s most dramatic and turbulent political crises and beyond.
Marianne
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for those of us who lived thru those years...others might not find the sgory as interesting. Personal lives and political lives retold.
Jim Blessing
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I have read probably 25 books about Richard Nixon. This one was a little different being about the Nixon marriage. It was a good read.
Jeana Fors
Apr 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I wanted to understand the time when Nixon was our president. I was a small child but remember him on the news. This allowed me some insight without all the political garbage.
Renee Harrison
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insight to a complicated relationship.
Helen
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An insightful look into the personal relationship of Richard and Pat Nixon.
Reid S Holsen