Start by marking “This Day in June” as Want to Read:
This Day in June

This Day in June

Named one of the Top 11 Most Challenged Books of 2018 by American Library Association (joined by Two Boys Kissing by David Leviathan, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Judy Sherman Alexie, Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner, This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki, Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey, A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo by Jill ...more
Published May 5th 2014 by Magination Press (first published October 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about This Day in June, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Day in June

Start your review of This Day in June
Calista
Bursting with color and energy, this book captures some of the flair of a pride parade. It is a simple story about a pride parade and all the lovely people you meet there. There is a great resource guide at the back for parents wanting to talk about these issues with their children. I like the page "Clad in leather perfect weather". Even better is the page, "All Invited All excited". My niece and nephew are still at the age they think it's funny when they see a boy or girl dressing like the oppo ...more
Elisabeth
Party in the front, information in the back! Lots to celebrate.
Moira
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's a picture book about Pride: something I hadn't realized we needed, but now know that we do. This Day in June is a winner, and I'm glad that I bought a copy (a hardcover, no less). I am not going to complain about gay kid-lit, because I'm glad it exists, but I will say that this book is so lively and energetic and refreshing, and it's also SO GAY and even SO QUEER.

The narrative part of the book is a series of couplets, for example: "Clad in Leather/Perfect weather" and "Artists painting/Sis
Shawn Thrasher
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's a long but successful road from Heather Has Two Mommies and Daddy's Roommate, which are both groundbreaking and daring books. But also sort of pleasantly amenable picture books at their hearts; they try their best not to offend. This Day in June is anything but offensive (except maybe to haters), but it's also in your face with leather daddies, drag queens, Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, and all the other cast of fabulous characters one may find in a 21st Century Gay Pride parade. The road runs directly betw ...more
Mehsi
It is Banned Books Week, and I am reading Challenged/Banned books. This is the second book for this week.

This book was challenged due to it being about gay, about being pride and proud.

It was quite a fun read, and it was fun to read about how Pride Parade/Celebration are done in the US. And that is what the book is about, nothing more and nothing less, it is all about a Pride Parade/Celebration. What goes on in them, what you can expect (or well what one can expect from one kind of Pride Parad
Dayna Derichs
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rationale: Once again, we are offered a unique view of a “typical American”. So often we judge all americans the same. We assume that we know everything about them because of the way they look. In this story, we encounter vibrant illustrations of a “typical American pride parade”. Each page presents stereotypes of LGBT people. Each page includes a phrase that could describe any American parade. However, these phrases are referenced in the back of the book as symbolic of major events in the fight ...more
Kirah Marshall
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1. This is a poetry book that depicts the Gay Pride Parades. Its pages are filled with wonderful, colorful illustrations of the LGBT community and supporters of LGBT. The end of the book has a reading guide that explains each verse, and each verse relates to some part of LGBT history. The end of the book also includes a guide to talking with children about LGBT issues and topics.
2. This book is appropriate for grades k-3.
3. This book is a great way to include LGBT history and culture into
Scott
Apr 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Well-illustrated, colorful, and incredibly diverse, I still don't really get what this is trying to do. The text in this book consists of little rhyming couplets, which a) are a bit too trendy at the moment, and b) don't do anything to create a narrative.

The groups this book introduces -- ERC, Dykes on Bikes, Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, etc. -- are shown, but they're not identified except in a reader's guide for adults in the back. And their ideologies are a little too lofty for
Emily
A picture book about Pride that *feels* PROUD, with dazzling, festive illustrations and a simple rhyming text:

This day in June
Parade starts soon!
Rainbow arches
Joyful Marches
Motors roaring
Spirits soaring...
Clad in leather
Perfect weather (etc.)

The one reference that might be obscure to a good number of readers is "Artists painting / Sisters sainting" (there's a reading guide in the back that explains each couplet--these sisters are the Sisters
Bonnie
Aug 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Social justice--lgbtq.

I feel as if I will be berated for giving this book a poor review simply because it attempts to tackle a controversial issue, but I really could leave this book. I don't think it gives a fair portrayal of the issues faced by the lgbtq community or represent them fairly. This book gives off the idea that you can "tell" if someone identifies as gay, etc. simply by their radical hairstyle, skimpy clothing, and rainbow accents.
Amy
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is so cool! At first, I was hoping that there would be more of a plot/storyline, but then there was SO much information in the back to help give a more rounded look at the whole Pride Parade and LGBT community. I definitely learned a lot of new information! A parent can use this for preschool age and up and go into as much detail or as little detail as they want with this book.
Rebecca
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful children's book about LGBTQ Pride :-D
Chance Lee
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Warm and welcoming book about gay pride parades, with educational back matter for parents on how to talk to children and teens of all ages about LGBT issues. The text of the book itself is a little basic, but I'll overlook for how important it is.
Barbara
This much-needed picture book fills a hole in today's classroom curriculum since it introduces Pride Day, the day in June in which the LGBT community comes together to celebrate. Short rhyming verses appear on each double-page spread as the author walks readers through some of the happenings at a Pride celebration. Although the colorful illustrations, enhanced digitally, aren't my favorite part of the book because of their almost cartoonish appearance, they are filled with motion and plenty of d ...more
Emma Davis
This is an excellent book to end the school year with! it celebrates diversity and serves as a great lesson to end a history section on the Stonewall Riots. The book This Day in June by Gayle E. Pitman illustrated by Kristyna Litten is a picture book that talks about the LGBT community in a fun and exciting way from the beginning the book there is a lot of different colors and people on the cover. The cover has all types of people dressed in colorful clothing, one person has a beach ball while a ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
My rating should be 3 1/2 stars. This book is aimed at preschool through 2nd or 3rd grade, so the text is very simple--two rhyming lines per 2-page spread, describing a Gay Pride parade. What young children who can't read will like most are the colorful pictures and the joyous, celebratory tone of the book, but they may have questions about some of the people depicted, such as mean dressed as women, and two women kissing. They won't clue in to what the parade is rally about because they can't re ...more
Kaley
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece
This book is beyond amazing! The images are so bright and vivid that are sure to captivate your students attention. I love how all the people they have are extremely diverse! From drag queens, to same sex couples, to lgbt children they have it all. Which is very important to note because this will enable students to see all kinds of different sexual orientations, and diversity within people. One of my favorite things is that they make it so fun and celebratory in the first part of the book and i ...more
Samantha
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Set at a pride festival, this book introduces readers to the sights and sounds of a pride parade in rhyming couplets.

The back matter is indispensable in terms of its its usefulness. A reading guide offers commentary on each two page spread of the story, explaining symbolism and inspiring interest in further research.

A note to parents and caregivers includes talking points for different age ranges. Highly recommended for both readers familiar and unfamiliar with the LGBT+ community.
Juli Anna
So sweet! Beautiful, celebratory illustrations and sweet couplets. There is also much educational material in the back to explain the history of Pride. The only thing barring five stars for me is that sometimes the couplets don't seem to refer to the illustrations, and there are some that seem almost random (the "tummy aching" line comes to mind). If the poetry had been more seamless, this would have been a five-star book for sure.
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Vibrant colors and active pictures really capture the feel of a Pride parade in this picture book for children. Rhyming text never mentions anything about same sex relationships but the signs people are holding do. There is only one page with same sex kissing but there's lots of hugging, dancing, and hand holding throughout. Great way to help kids understand the joy of this event with some text at the back explaining how to talk with kids of various ages about LGBT issues.
Bookishrealm
This book ! I loveddd it and the information in the back. It definitely teaches a whole lot about Pride Rally's without making it too complicated. This is a great resource for parents who are interested in making sure their children are aware of the diverse world they live and what to do when they begin to ask questions about someone else's sexuality or even their own.
Roberta
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I went to a Pride Parade for the first time this year, so when I heard about this picture book, I read it right away.

The illustrations really painted a true-to-life image of my experience. Lots of joy and exuberance.

I really liked the pages at the end of the book explaining the different LGBTQ terms and concepts. It seems like they would be useful when discussing the book with a child.
Earl
What's great about this picture book that recently won the Stonewall Book Award is neither the text in verse that flows smoothly or the the illustrations full of details and color, but the back matter that talks about the significance of each page. Additional tips on how to talk to kids of various ages about this subject are also included.
Scott Robins
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, picture-books
A truly positive and celebratory depiction of the LGBT community. Great back matter expands on the imagery throughout the book highlighting queer history, imagery, different communities and culture. Well done!
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
The rhymes were okay. I really liked the illustrations and the very helpful guide in the back of the book. This book will be an excellent resource for talking to children about LGBT history and Gay Pride.
Pam  Page
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story shares a celebration of a parade for LGBT pride. Colorful illustrations and simple text are followed at the end by a note to parents and caregivers of ways to have conversations on LGBT with different age groups of children.
Lupine
Fun and adorable illustrations, rhyming text with additional resources facts and talking points about Gay Pride parade that would work with toddlers, preschoolers or even older AND would work in story time? Yes please!
Jacqueline
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads, queer-lit
I teared up on PAGE 2. This is such a simple and positive book!! The guide in the back points out the story behind each page and gives some pointers for parents looking to normalize LGBT people for their children. If you want your heart to swell I recommend this book.
Garren
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
meg
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
heartwarming (and includes some great in-depth backmatter)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Morris Micklewhite and the Tangerine Dress
  • Stella Brings the Family
  • Families, Families, Families!
  • 10,000 Dresses
  • What Makes a Baby
  • Be Who You Are
  • Harriet Gets Carried Away
  • A Tale of Two Daddies
Gayle E. Pitman, Ph.D. is a professor of psychology at Sacramento City College. Her writing, research, and teaching focuses on issues of gender and sexual orientation. She lives in Northern California.