Start by marking “Pat of Silver Bush (Pat of Silver Bush, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pat of Silver Bush (Pat of Silver Bush, #1)

Pat of Silver Bush

(Pat of Silver Bush #1)

From the beloved author of Anne of Green Gables comes another lively heroine with great imagination

Patricia Gardiner loved Silver Bush more than anything else in the world. She was born and raised in the beautiful old-fashioned house on Prince Edward Island. From her first day at school to the arrival of her new own first romance, Pat shares her experiences with her belove
Published March 4th 2014 by Sourcebooks Fire (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Pat of Silver Bush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pat of Silver Bush

Gray Cox
This is such a sweet innocent book about growing up and friendship! <3
Zane Jones
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main thing I want to say about this is that Jingle's name is not Hilary. Hilary is a dreadful name for a boy and he will always be Jingle to me. Thank you and goodnight.
Sarah Sammis
Jan 01, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: released
When I was entering my teens I fell in love with L. M. Montgomery's heroines. I started with Emily of New Moon and then moved on to Anne of Green Gables. While those two series still hold special places in my heart, I must say that I am baffled by Pat of Silver Bush.

Most of Montgomery's stories are about young women, usually pre-teen through late twenties, tacking adverse situations with grace and brains. Pat, though, comes from a fairly well to do family. She has a comfortable life and wants t
Natalie
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I relate to Pat very much. <3 This story is a gem.
Katri
Sep 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l-m-montgomery
Unlike many other LMM novels, I read this one for the first time in adulthood. I was apprehensive about how I would take it, not having fond childhood memories connected to it, but I turned out to love it quite a bit. It's probably not going to be one of my favourite LMM novels, because Pat as a heroine is a bit too passive, her main characteristic being resistance to change and so every conflict in the story being the result of outside forces. It's not as interesting as heroines who have a powe ...more
Margaret
Although I like almost everything L.M. Montgomery ever wrote, I have to admit that the Pat books are not my favorites. Pat Gardiner lives with her family at Silver Bush, an old house and farm on Prince Edward Island. Unlike Montgomery's other heroines, Pat has no ambitions other than to stay at home forever, taking care of the home and family she loves.

There's a feeling of domesticity and hominess which pervades the books, and I appreciate that more than I used to, but Pat is so neurotically at
Alisha
Sep 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I just reread this, probably for the first time since being a teenager, or at least in my early 20s. I was curious what I'd think of it now...

I still get a cozy feeling from it. Part of that is because of the strong ties you get to a book when you read it in the impressionable mid teen years! And part of it was the beautiful descriptive writing. Yes, I still find it lovely. Though perhaps I'm more aware of its sadness than before.

I do now see a few shortcomings too, though. Pat and Judy Plum, an
Kelsey Bryant
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me about a quarter of this book to really get into it, because at first I didn't particularly care for Judy Plum, Pat herself wasn't very interesting, and the rest of the family seemed to be glossed over. The main interesting part of the narrative was Judy Plum's stories, but I wasn't sure how much I cared for them. But as soon as Hilary Gordon, "Jingle," entered the book, I fell in love with it just like the rest of Montgomery's novels. He made Pat into a real and interesting person, an ...more
Paula Vince
I've chosen this as my Children's Classic in the 2018 Back to the Classics Challenge, and I'm lucky enough to own a very old edition, although I've no idea where it originally came from. But the publication date is 1934, and since the story was first published in 1933, it must be one of the earliest versions possible. Maybe my mum had it when she was a girl. It's a delight to read something so old.

If you're a fan of Lucy Maud Montgomery, you'd have to be living under a rock not to know that seve
Tarissa
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Montgomery book down! I apologize in advance for this lengthy review...

General Thoughts:
To start, here's a little bio I put together of Pat, based on my musings of her type of character: As mentioned in the book, she has “French-English-Scotch-Irish-Quaker blood” (what a combo!). Most importantly, probably the first thing you should know, I believe, is that Pat loves things. Specifically she loves Silver Bush and anything connected to it. She loves many things found in nature. She loves
Jenna St Hilaire
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Pat books were written within about ten years of Montgomery's death, in a time when her writing had become—whether due to fashion or to her own life difficulties—rather episodic and a little more prone to mistakes, as well as somewhat given to a dreamlike overuse of ellipses. Considering the hardships she suffered through her own depression and her husband's, the wonder is that there aren't more oddities in her novels of that last decade (which novels include Anne of Windy Poplars and Anne o ...more
Emily
Mar 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every female.
For some reason, I really resonated with the Pat of Silverbush books. They were realistic to me, and Pat has such a love of home and the familiar, and then there are so many unexpected twists and turns in the plot, like real life, that it was endearing.

Strangely enough, I really liked the part where she has a frightening fever and loses all of her hair. And then when it grows back in curly and a darker color, well, I was just fascinated by that to no end.

There's just something so resonating in
Eliza Crewe
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No Anne or Emily, but damn do I love some L.M.
Anne Osterlund
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pat loves her home of Silver Bush: the kittens that are forever infesting the barnyard, the secret field she discovered with her brother, the trees that have stories to tell, and--of course--her family.

She hates change. But change is forever coming. In the form of a baby sister, an aunt's wedding, a strange boy from next door who rescues Pat from being utterly lost at night. It's funny, how change can ultimately become part of life and part of home. All ultimately part of Silver Bush.

Even Pat is
Marissa
Sep 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Pat of Silver Bush! Most of the "big" stories and series by L. M. Montgomery, I've grown up with, but Marigold, Jane, and Pat were somehow passed by in my girlhood reading lists. :) It's a delight to find that Maud's books are as enchanting to discover at nearly 20 as they were at 8.

This one was brimming with folklore in a way that gave it a slightly different feel from the others I've read. There was perhaps more of an old-time or backwoods feel--especially in the character of Judy Plum
Katherine P
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, children-ya
The first 115 pages can be summed up in 3 sentences - Pat hates change. Pat loves Silver Bush. Both of these are portrayed to the extreme. After that the story gets moving better as Pat gets older and her world expands a little. Pat is Anne at her worst with all talk of poetry and wonder and feeling everything deeply without Anne's humor and intelligence. The story also lacks a wide breadth of characters to take some of the focus off Pat's more annoying traits. Her siblings and parents are names ...more
Zoe Race
A bit slow, but very insightful on people's feelings. I love how Pat loves everything, including her great friend Jingle.
Danielle
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Definitely not my favorite book by LM Montgomery. I enjoy descriptive prose as much as the next person, but this story had WAY too much. The first serveral chapters are little more than descriptions of the house, the trees, the fields, the people, etc. I get it, Silver Bush is pretty! The story starts picking up around chapter 9. I really enjoy a couple of the characters, but I found Pat herself to be somewhat annoying. In particular the fact that she is obsessed with her house to the point of n ...more
Sanja_Sanjalica
4.5 The beginning of the book was a bit slow, but it improved with every page. Such a delightful book to read, so lifelike and so Montgomery. A book to hug.
Rikke
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I've fallen in love with Montgomery's books all over again. Montgomery's fictional world is beautiful, her heroines are so endearing and Montgomery's places vibrates with love and life. No one can build a home as wonderful as Montgomery's home, made of words.

And "Pat of Silver Bush" is a novel about a home. About belonging to a place, loving a place and holding on to a place as the main source to one's identity. Pat does not only think of Silver Bush as her home, to her it is the entire world.
Pa
Vicky Guthrie
Pat does not like change. That’s what this book is all about - a girl who fiercely loves her family and her home exactly the way it is. And any speck of change results in an end of the world crisis. For myself, never having had a home for more than a few years in a row, made this a little hard to relate to. And Pat’s emotional displays got a little over the top and annoying. But the supporting characters offer a lot the the story. Judy has to be my ultimate favourite old maid servant L.M. has ev ...more
Lesley
Jul 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was afraid to start this novel at first, even though I'm a great admirer of L.M. Montgomery's work. As a teen I had read all the Anne books, and I've reread a few in the series a few times since then. I have read Emily of New Moon, The Blue Castle, and Kilmeny of the Orchard. I did not enjoy Kilmeny at all, and whenever I read an L.M.M. novel that I've never read before I get a little scared that it's going to be like Kilmeny.

My first observation upon getting into the novel was the lack of dep
LOL_BOOKS
WHAT'S UP WITH PAT OF THE BUSH? IS IT BAD?

NOT BAD, BUT THE CHARACTER IS STUBBORN AND ANNOYING. SHE HATES CHANGE SO SHE LIVES WITH HER FAMILY UNTIL SHE'S LIKE 30 AND HER HOUSE BURNS DOWN.

I REREAD PAT OF SILVER BUSH AND MISTRESS PAT EVERY FEW YEARS BECAUSE I LIKE SOME OF THE SUPPORTING CHARACTERS, BUT PAT IS A CAILURE WEIRDO AND THE LOLMANCE IS NOT GRATE.

I DIDN'T LIKE IT. PAT IS BASICALLY ME SO I LOATHE HER.

I KNOW I READ IT BUT I HAVE NO MEMORY OF WHAT HAPPENED AT ALL.

IMFL PAT OF SILVER BUSH BECAU
Motherhouse
Pat is my favorite LM heroine and these are my new favorite LM books. Pat loves everything about her home Silver Bush from her family, house, chicken coop, to each tree and cat on the place. As Judy the Irish voice of wisdom and humor in the books says, Pat had the gift of loving. Her intense love for so much of what other people didn't even notice brought her a lot of joy and also exquisite pain; yet I think Pat was happier than other people and other people were revitalized by associating with ...more
Beth
Sep 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! It's a laugh-out-loud funny and very charming story. My favorite characters are the hilarious housekeeper Judy and the darling orphaned neighbor boy, Jingle. Montgomery does her best work when writing about childhood. She does a wonderful job showing how magical it can be. And every time I read one of her books, I am reminded to be more aware of a grateful for the beautiful world around me.

I have to say a word about the book's sequel, however. Mistress Pat is an excruciating n
Jenn Estepp
for a little while, this book had me quite worried, because i thought i was going to have to give lucy maude a one or two star review, which simply seems sacrilegious. in the end - like, literally, the last fifty to seventy-five pages or so - it got better and i actually sort of liked it, but goodness gracious. getting there was sort of excruciating. pat is just a really difficult character, in the sense that i was incredibly annoyed at how insipid and twee she was for most of the book. everythi ...more
Mireille Duval
Not LMM's best either - it takes quite some time to get into it. (Although going to Silver Bush before reading it does help with the long descriptions at the beginning.) I'm not the biggest fan of Pat, especially in the beginning - she's frankly quite unreasonable! It gets better when she meets Jingle, and Bets, and when she grows up a bit. The second half is definitely better.

It is interesting to read in light of the info I got while reading Magic Island: The Fictions of L.M. Montgomery, though
nimrodiel
I discovered Pat, after finding Anne, and Emily, and while she isn't my most favorite of Montgomery's girl heroines, I have read this book several times now...

Pat, like many of Montgomery's girls is a nature lover, is imaginative (though not as much as Anne Shirley), and unlike the others is very much a homebody. This clannishness is something that is a little odd to understand now, when families are spread so very far apart.

Though, we do see Pat grow, and change her opinions in the eleven year
Story_Girl
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always find Pat of Silver Bush a little hard to get into at first. The first few chapters miss that sparkle L.M. Montgomery manages to put into all her books, but is well worth finishing because the further into the story you get the better it becomes until you are left wanting more at the end.
Pat is a true home-body. She is absolutely devoted to her home and to her family and lives in fear of change. But change can not be stopped and as it begins to invade Pat's little world, she learns that

• Heaven to Betsy / Betsy in Spite of Herself (Betsy-Tacy #5-6)
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery: The Gift of Wings
  • The Story Girl Earns Her Name (Road to Avonlea, #2)
  • Jack and Jill
  • Traveling Shoes (Shoes, #11)
  • Clover
  • The Anne of Green Gables Treasury
  • Flambards Divided (Flambards, #4)
  • Cherry Ames, Student Nurse (Cherry Ames, #1)
  • A White Bird Flying
  • Looking for Anne of Green Gables: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and Her Literary Classic
  • Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery
  • The Wouldbegoods (Bastable Children #2)
  • No Coins, Please
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911

Pat of Silver Bush (2 books)
  • Mistress Pat (Pat, #2)
“You've all been so sure that life is good that I've never been able to disbelieve it. Never will be able to.” 5 likes
“Don't be fretting...about me marrying. Marrying's a trouble and not marrying's a trouble and I sticks to the trouble I knows.” 4 likes