Start by marking “Lies My Girlfriend Told Me” as Want to Read:
Lies My Girlfriend Told Me

Lies My Girlfriend Told Me

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  3,939 Ratings  ·  470 Reviews
When Alix's charismatic girlfriend, Swanee, dies from sudden cardiac arrest, Alix is overcome with despair. As she searches Swanee's room for mementos of their relationship, she finds Swanee's cell phone, pinging with dozens of texts sent from a mysterious contact, L.T. The most recent text reads: "Please tell me what I did. Please, Swan. Te amo. I love you."

Shocked and be
Published June 10th 2014 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Lies My Girlfriend Told Me, please sign up.
Nicole I have no idea if there is going to be a paperback edition to this. I haven't heard anything about it. Hopefully one will come out eventually.

mg
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review of ARC received at PLA, 2014:
Readers: please take note of this turning point in teen lit!

I loved this book. Mostly for what it is and what it represents than for the content itself. But what it represents in the broader context is so big, and so wonderful, it trumps any minor quibbles I may have with the plot and/or the writing.

The plot: A seventeen-year-old girl, Alix, is woken one morning by her parents telling her that her girlfriend, Swanee, has suddenly passed away. In the midst of h
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another book that I read completely on a whim and ended up loving! I just want to read all the F/F YA romances I can get my hands on tbh
Journey
i love this SO MUCH that i cannot read any of the one or two star reviews because i know i will end up vehemently arguing with people.

julie anne peters is important to me. when i was in high school, i kept keeping you a secret under my pillow and i think it's the book that made me finally visualize myself as a lesbian, with another girl. and i think she continues that here.

i gave this four stars because no, it's not a literary masterpiece or anything. the plot is solid, but fairly predictable. b
Elise (TheBookishActress)
This book is straight-up fluff of the best kind. Despite the dark inital plot, this book is about two people healing together and learning to accept another’s death, along with her bad characteristics.

Alix and Liana have such a sweet relationship. Yes, their relationship is nothing particularly special, but tell me their banter and development isn’t a ton of fun. The idea of two girls getting together after their girlfriend dies is amazing, and was absolutely executed to my satisfaction.

Alix is
just here for desi sapphics
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to just here for desi sapphics by: Elise (TheBookishActress)
Shelves: lgbtqiap-plus, meh
ahh this is so cute and beautiful I love it 6/10 would recommend if you want something short and sweet
Michael
Perusing reviews of Lies My Girlfriends Told Me, it appears the books is a bit polarizing among readers. There are some who call is "ground breaking" while others are quick to dismiss it as your standard teen angst novel.

My thoughts on the subject are that yes, the novel is full of teen relationship angst and that it's not necessarily as ground breaking as some reviewers would have you believe.

When Alix's girlfriend Swanee passes away of cardiac arrest during a run, Alix's entire world is shat
Natasha
Okay! So It's been a good 8 months since I read this book. I gave it a short little review expressing how much I didn't like it. But here's the thing, it's that book you hate that doesn't leave you and you can't stop thinking about your seething hatred.

This book is... awful. From the first page I didn't like the writing. It was extremely basic and I'm a genuinely sorry, but her name is Alix? Really? Was the author just trying to make her seem unique?

This book has a lot of problems to it, even
Alissa Haley
Review is now up on Diva Reads!
Sabrina Grafenberger
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, favorites
This book is awesome! Of all the contemporary lgbt romance fiction I've read until now, this one is by far the best.

It has everything I want from a young adult novel and more. The story is intersting and never gets boring, the characters are realisticly written and likeable and the writing style is enjoyable.

I don't want to reveal too much about the plot or what happens, because I think you're better off if I tell you nothing about this book. Just buy your copy and start reading it!
Melinda
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: lesbian, young-adult
— A little predictable, but fast-paced and easy to read
— Unlike Julie Anne Peters's Rage, this novel offers a much more subtle — and realistic — portrayal of an abusive relationship: verbal abuse, lies, manipulation, coercion
— While also portraying the importance and elements of a healthy relationship (and family dynamic) without coming off as didactic
— A lesbian young adult novel that isn't a coming out story — all of the characters have already come out, and it's OK
— It's also totally OK to no
Layla
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt-fiction, ya
Julie Anne Peters’s latest – and last, it seems – novel, Lies My Girlfriend Told Me really made me think about what I want from LGBTQ YA. (It also made me want to check out Julie Anne Peters’s book Luna, which Wendy has read and reviewed.)

To begin: there are lots of things to like about this novel: it avoids the coming-out narrative and surrounding conflict that is common in LGBTQ YA; the queer protagonist isn’t destined to a life of solitude and unending misery; the prose is good (and there are
Rossy
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, so emotional. I really don't know how to review it without spoilers, but I do recommend it, I loved it!
I definitely felt LOTS OF THINGS T___T while reading this book.

Lin
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it

I think I already said that, but I am going to repeat myself, this month is my diverse read month . I am picking only books with diverse characters without even realizing it. LOL and you know what??

Резултат с изображение за and i dont mind it gif

Резултат с изображение за i love it gif

So having this in mind, expect a lot of diverse book reviews coming your way ^^

Uhmm.... I am like 60% sure that this is the first time that I picked F/F character based book, but don't quote me on that it might be a wrong guess. Anyway, let me jump right into the review part.

This one was a totally
Dylan
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

AHHGHHHHHBHBDHSBDSHDBSHDBS THIS WAS SO GOOD!

Diverse, emotional, amazing.

I know I'm in the minority for this, but I just loved it SO much.

Critically, it's probably more of a 3.5-4, but I couldn't help but rate it up because I enjoyed reading it so much!!!
Lies My Girlfriend Told Me is an intense read. It’s a f/f YA novel, which I naively assumed to be fluffy and fun, and I did get that to a certain extent – but I also got a book with complex family drama, morally ambiguous characters, and the struggles of growing up.

There were moments I really loved Lies my Girlfriend Told Me and then there were other moments where I severely disliked it. Like I said – it’s a complex novel, especially for a YA.

Alix was an engrossing character: she had just lost w
Em
May 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
I managed to pick up an ARC of this book at TBF 2014! Which I was really excited to start reading it right away. With that being said the book was okay. The story line and the idea was a great idea. But I think the author is relying on the topic too much. I think the author realized that because this book has to do with lesbians that it would draw people no matter what. I have not read anything else by this author but my understanding is that their other stuff was better than this. The reason I ...more
Đurđica
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: standalone
Everyone would say that Swan is a mean girl, even though she died. But it's not everything about her. I think author wanted to show her readers that everyone deals with grief in their own way. Ups and downs in this book are so intense, and I like stories like that. Special thing about the whole story is that this is no ordinary love triangle. Go on and see yourself :)
Jana
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful story! As I'm not a lesbian, I can't really say, but I feel like it was great LGBT representation and a beautiful story. The main character Alix did start off pretty frustrating, but it got a lot better.
Mike
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I first came across Julie Anne Peters when I was thirteen. One of my friends - the first queer person my age that I'd ever met - told me that Luna was one of the only books with a trans character, and that it was really good. I did read it, a few months later, and at the time, I mildly enjoyed it. I read a couple more of her books when I was thirteen, and I enjoyed those as well. But then I turned fourteen, and suddenly, I didn't like any of her novels anymore. I've read three of her novels sin ...more
Latanya (CraftyScribbles)
"We want you know we forgive you and we thank you for bringing us together."

Julie Anne Peters' Lies My Girlfriend Told Me offers fresh blood into YA. Not only does it focus on positive lesbian representation, but it's honest, sweet, and realistic. No one's buried (aka dies). No one suffers for their love. No one becomes this super representation of what being a lesbian precludes by becoming a caricature.

What this story does do is set a tone about grieving and finding friendship and love as res
Sarika Patkotwar
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Actual rating- 3.5

The main reason I was looking forward to Lies My Girlfriend Told Me is because it's a LGBT book. I had no idea what to expect from the book, but what is clear by the end of it is that it was- slightly if not overly- beyond my expectations. I haven't read any Julie Anne Peters book before, and now I can't wait to try more of the author's books. I am absolutely astounded and thrilled by the mystery surrounding this book. Lies My Girlfriend Told Me begins with the death of Alix's
Jen • Just One More Page

This review is also posted on my blog.

(view spoiler)
Crystal ✬ Lost in Storyland
Lies My Girlfriend Told Me is a likable story with likable characters.

Following the death of their girlfriend Swanee, Alix and Liana discover each other and the double life that Swanee has been living. Both have been emotionally abused by Swanee and have a lot of pent up sadness and anger. As the only ones who understand what the other is going through, they find themselves drawn to each other. Initially, it's hard to connect with them as they alternately withdrawing and lashing out at the world
Naoms
Originally reviewed at: Confessions of an Opinionated Book Geek

Alix loves Swanee. Everyone knows it. Love is the reason she abandoned her best friend. Love is the reason she breaks rules and is in a rocky relationship with her parents. Their love is real. It doesn’t matter what anyone says. It’s forever. Well, it was supposed to be forever and then Swanee died.

Swanee’s death does a lot to Alix, because suddenly she’s alone. No clubs, no after school activities and no friends. Swanee was everyth
Kelsey
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, e-book

This is my second book by Julie Anne Peters and it certainly won't be my last. Lies My Girlfriend Told Me dealt with a lot of heavy subjects, but it never felt like an "issues book" to me, something that I was very happy about. For example, there was no need to make a big deal about the sexuality of the main characters, they were who they were and that was that. Family, death, and love were just a few of the topics explored in this latest offering from Peters and I would recommend it to any fan
Ashleigh
Jul 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Lies My Girlfriend Told Me is a YA Lesbian… I’m tempted to say ‘coming of age’ story. The story focuses on Alix as she comes to terms with the sudden death of Swanee (Yes, those names) her first love and first girlfriend.

I read this completely on a whim, I’m currently reading Game of Thrones and just finished the Daughter of smoke and bone and fancied something light and fun…. Why I picked this I don’t know. It was definitely a fast read and in that essence light but fun - it was not.

Swanee, w
Teagan (TEAZ)
So, I don't know how I've done it, me, someone who suffers terribly from reading slumps, has finished two books in less than 24 hours. Who knew I had it in me.

Anyway, to the review.

I loved this book - I saw that the reviews weren't the highest, and it made me hesitant, but I've had this book on my iPad forever, and then I saw the physical copy in the library - I just had to borrow it.

I went into this book knowing nothing about it, like, at all. At first, I felt like this was going to have some
Kara
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. So great to see a book with strong LGBT themes that has nothing to do with the struggles of coming out or facing raging homophobia. Obviously those are important but they aren't the only things that LGBT teens experience.
I loved the portrayal of grief.
One question I had was about Ethan. Alix is clearly 16/17 while he is ~1. This significant age gap is never mentioned. Especially since there seemed to be some significant health issues I thought it would turn out that he was ad
Anna W
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Very easy read. It was great to see another LGBT novel on the library shelves. However, the plot and characters were lacking. I felt they were all the same: unlikable. The book was listed as a mystery but there was nothing that needed to be solved and the characters relationships were very unrealistic. Overall: meh.
Emily
Jun 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get into it. I didn't enjoy the writing style, the plot was all over the place, it was quite unbelievable how naive the main character was, and just.... wow. Really offended that this girl would rebound after a tragedy and the author would encourage that and call it love. Don't even know what to do with this book other than give it a 1 star and try to forget I read it.
Goodreads YA—Ask Julie Anne Peters a question! 2 34 May 21, 2014 11:53AM
  • Frenemy of the People
  • Not Otherwise Specified
  • Gravel Queen
  • Dating Sarah Cooper
  • Under the Lights (Daylight Falls, #2)
  • Our Own Private Universe
  • One Man Guy
  • Fat Angie
  • Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out
Julie Anne Peters was born in Jamestown, New York. When she was five, her family moved to the Denver suburbs in Colorado. Her parents divorced when she was in high school. She has three siblings: a brother, John, and two younger sisters, Jeanne and Susan.

Her books for young adults include Define "Normal" (2000), Keeping You a Secret (2003), Luna (2004), Far from Xanadu (2005), Between Mom and Jo (
More about Julie Anne Peters

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Most of all I’m mad at Swanee for dying and taking from me the most precious thing I ever owned. I didn’t own her, but she was mine. Mine, Liana. Do you hear me?” 0 likes