Start by marking “The Intel Trinity: How Robert Noyce, Gordon Moore, and Andy Grove Built the World's Most Important Company” as Want to Read:

Based on unprecedented access to the corporation’s archives, The Intel Trinity is the first full history of Intel Corporation—the essential company of the digital age— told through the lives of the three most important figures in the company’s history: Robert Noyce, Gordon Moore, and Andy Grove.

Often hailed the “most important company in the world,” Intel remains, more tha
Published July 15th 2014 by Harper Business

To ask other readers questions about The Intel Trinity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Intel Trinity

Start your review of The Intel Trinity: How Robert Noyce, Gordon Moore, and Andy Grove Built the World's Most Important Company
Brad Feld
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
As of today The Intel Trinity,The: How Robert Noyce, Gordon Moore, and Andy Grove Built the World's Most Important Company wins my award for best business book of 2015.

I got an Apple ][ for my bar mitzvah in 1978. Ever since then I've been fascinated with computers and the computer industry. I obviously missed the 1950s and 1960s, but the history of that time period has deeply informed my perspective, especially the definition of Moore's law by Gordon Moore in 1965.

I work with many first time an
Bobbi
Jun 12, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was sent to me free by the Goodreads First Reads program.

If you're interested in how Silicon Valley technology developed this is an interesting book. The author begins with the three who ended up being the founders of the behemoth company, Intel. Each had different skills, giving the company the exact people to make it successful. I wish Malone had given Andy Grove a bit more space, however. I read a biography of him, an immigrant from Hungary, which was fascinating and helped explain
Steven Kaminski
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
So let me name some companies: Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google, Intel, Oracle. All of these companies have something in common...they all were helped and created or assisted by a small group of engineers who would go on to inspire most of Silicon Valley. Those engineers all worked for the same company: Fairchild Semiconductor.
And led by Robert Noyce (who would go to found Intel) most of your access to the Internet in other words how we all communicate with each other...came from their innovatio
Mhd
Aug 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
It is my policy to only rate books that I finish. However, when my issues are not content related and are extreme, then I think a rating is still justified. First incredibly irritating problem: 4 of the 14 photos in the book are not labeled as to who is who, and another one is very confusingly labeled. Maybe it's just my poor facial recognition, but I can't keep these men straight over multiple decades and different poses. One of the author's repeated laments is how these 3 men have been so forg ...more
Peter (Pete) Mcloughlin
Before Larry Ellison, Before Mark Zuckerberg, Before even Woz and Jobs there was the intel and the trio of strong and conflicting characters who made silicon valley what it was from the end of world war II and into the 2000s. The three men composed a trinity of Bob Noyce as Popular Father, Andy Grove as the truculent son and Gordon more as the virtuoso holy spirit. These men who had very different and conflicting personalities made the computer industry first at Fairchild Semiconductor and then ...more
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
thanks to goodreads first reads and the author for giving me this chance to read this book.i found this book to be very interesting as t o how this company came about.and the stuggles and all the challenges faced.this book will inspire people ot know that they can take risks and to overcome those risk and bring a company to light.i really did like this book and i think you will too...
Dean
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Great history of Intel and Silicon Valley. Love what the founder Bob Noyce and studies confirm that central to entrepreneurs personality is having control over their own fates, even if they fail.
Tech Historian
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
The good news: Five stars for a serviceable and needed popular story of one the most iconic companies and business teams in the history of Silicon Valley. The bios of Noyce, Moore and Grove side-by-side make a great story. The interpersonal dynamics of the founding team was fascinating. The Fairchild-to-Intel-to-memory business-to microprocessor story is well told.

The bad news: Two stars as Malone has very little insight into the damage Andy Grove and his successors did to microprocessor innovat
Mike Slawdog
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read
Disclosure: I received this book for free through Goodreads' First Read Program.

The Intel Trinity is a book about Intel and its founders that can be catoegorized as a business book, but also one about microchips and related technology as well. By discussing the people, the business, and the products, Malone details the lives of both the Noyce, Moore, and Grove trinity as well as Intel itself.

This book starts off with the beginnings of Silicon Valley and tended to focus more on the beginnings an
Liam
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Long after everyone else in the Silicon Valley story is forgotten -- Terman and Hewlett and Packard, Noyce, Zuckerberg, Brin, and Page, even Steve Jobs -- Gordon Moore will still be remembered. Not for his career in high tech, though it is all but unequaled, but for his law -- which future historians will point to as defining the greatest period of human innovation and wealth creation in history." (99)

"For mainframe computer memory engineers, this familiarity of failure [in DRAM and magnetic co
BCS
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
This well-researched history of the Intel corporation tells its story by concentrating on Intel’s three key figures: Robert Noyce, Gordon Moore and Andrew Grove. The author has based the work on both previously published information and access to the Intel archives.

The prominent use of the Intel archives might possibly have had an effect of introducing a positive spin to the storytelling and creating an impression upon the reader that Intel has rarely done anything wrong.

However, this can’t be c
Nitin Jagtap
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Anyone even remotely connected with the semiconductor industry should read this definitive guide of how Intel Corp becomes the most important company of the digital age, silicon valley and its impact on humanity.
A combination of three unlikely technocrats who came together from Fair child Semiconductor and then founded Intel...the trinity of Bob Noyce know for his vision and jaw dropping risk taking ability, Gordon Moore , the soft spoken technological genius ( founder of the Moore's law ) and A
David López
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Intel is a huge part of our lives today that I think most of us barely stop to think of it as something different than a giant corporation that is everywhere. Now, after reading this book I realized that when I was born Intel was barely a mid-size company and that it become the giant it is today during the days of my childhood.
I could barely imagine that one day Intel was struggling to survive doing memory chips and even less I would imagine that his most prominent CEO was an Holocaust survivor
Michael
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, us-history
Many books about the history of technology focus on the creativity and ah-hah moments involved in building the tools and infrastructure that many of us take for granted today. "The Intel Trinity" gives you a bit of that, but also focuses on the history of the company which is nearly synonymous with the underpinnings of the modern personal computer: Intel.

The "trinity" referred to in the title are the founders of the company around whom the narrative focuses: Robert Noyce, Gordon Moore, and Andy
David Glad
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While I won this book as part of a goodreads giveaway, I still thoroughly enjoyed it to the point where I bought a bunch of Michael Malone's other books and intend to read them. So, needless to say, winning it opened up a world to how impressive he was.

Among the most useful features was the appendix explaining a lot of the concepts. (Even if you think you know, probably should read it anyway.) I would highly recommend watching the PBS American Experience documentary on Silicon Valley, which I di
Rohit Menon
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I began reading this book on a whim having already been familiar with the backgrounds of the three founders - Robert Noyce, Gordon Moore and Andy Grove. Michael Malone chronicles the birth of Intel to its present state methodically and brilliantly. During the course of the narrative, the book beautifully digresses to give the reader a detailed look into the early lives of the three founders starting with Noyce, Moore and finally Grove.

The book acknowledges that it borrows from the individual bi
Jestin Joy
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: technology
Intel trinity explores the life and times of big three in Intel; Gordon Moore, Andy Grove and Robert Noyce with putiing Noyce in the front. For someone who studied engineering this will give a look at how worlds big semiconductor company works from the start (From the time of Fairchild semiconductor). Books provide lots of new information like how the name came into being, about the "Intel Inside" tagline, how it became the most successful startup, relation with AMD, patent claims with TI....

Dow
Bruce
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A grudging 4 stars. The good: engagingly written corporate history and mini-biographies of the big 3, which shows the importance of the interplay between venture capital, technology, marketing, and management; along the way, the book provides a nice look into the Valley and its 60's culture. The bad: 1) the spray of superlatives (everything and everybody associated with Intel is/was the greatest and most important in business history) was both very annoying and smacks of bias, 2) the endless and ...more
John Strohm
Aug 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Written in an extreme form of Silicon Valley douchebaggery, this book is only one that popped collar brogrammers could appreciate. Plenty of in-jokes are poorly or never explained. There is little evidence that Intel is the most important company in the world -- if Intel didn't do it, plenty of competitors were hot on their heels.

And perhaps most egregiously, Malone does his best to ignore or minimize the efforts of companies who dared to be outside of the Bay area. Usually he can totally ignor
Katie
It has taken me quite some time to work my way through this book, because it's so packed with information, but that is decidedly not a drawback. In the course of reading it, I have supplemented it with presentations and discussion panels curated by the Computer History Museum, and other interesting materials I found through an anthropology class on museums and heritage. As a result, I've learned so much, and truly come to appreciate how amazing the development of technology has been (even just w ...more
Susan
Feb 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoy reading about the history of computing and looked forward to reading this. It is a complete history of Intel and there is a treasure trove of information here, not only about Intel but also a few tidbits about Apple, AMD and other Silicon Valley companies. That being said, Malone is no Steven Levy; I didn't find the book to be a page turner. Good read to find out the details of the founding of Intel, but don't expect to be captivated.
Scott Nichols
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a former Intel employee during the end of the Andy Grove years, this was a great review of what made Intel one of the most vibrant and exciting places to work.

This book covers the beginning of the semiconductor industry and how Intel grew from a small upstart to what it is today. It also covers the Intel culture during the Grove years - a blunt, confrontational, demanding environment that required thoroughness and tenacity in order to survive.
Andi
Dec 22, 2014 added it
I really liked this book. Not being in High Tech myself, this book helped me understand the impact of the chip on just about everything in the world. Having begun my career in business about the time that much of this impact was just beginning (working on the IBM XT for instance), it was fun to follow the world from the vantage point of the burgeoning semi-conductor world. I'm also a fan of books that reveal how leaders succeed (and fail) and what makes them tick.
Patrick Pilz
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is not only a biography of three geniuses, it also tells the story of Silicon Valley from the perspective of the computer chip industry. The story is interesting told. At the end, the author seems to struggle to find a proper conclusion. I think part of the challenge is, that the story is still ongoing.

I also consider this a management book. It illustrates extremely well what it means to innovate at the right pace, and what happens to those that either progress too fast or too slow.
Vidhul Dev
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book will remain in my heart for quite a lot of reasons. It talks about the entrepreneurial culture, what human effort can achieve, how technology changes every 2 years. Book gives abundant insights into how Intel came to being and describes the personalities and working styles of 3 legends of Semi conductor technology.
The book might seem slow in bits and pieces but you will derive a lot out of it.
Kursad Albayraktaroglu
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A comprehensive, and excellent history of Intel. I am a current Intel employee, and was fascinated to learn about some seminal events in the history of the company that are part of the corporate lore here.

I also highly recommend Tim Jackson's "Inside Intel" if you would like to get a more complete picture of Intel's struggles in its early years.
Kamil
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Great read. Really gives a lot of insight about a great company and its amazing leaders. Extremely readable even if you don't know much about the industry. Though one does get the feeling that the author was totally in awe of Bob Noyce and not a great fan of Andy Grove which at times is disappointing.
Len Welter
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Okay(ish). Too repetitive for my taste. Could have been shorter by cutting out all the fluff around Moore's Law (it is an important bit but it seems as if the author has to repeat how important it is every time it comes up) and the fact that Intel almost blew up (seems like every year...).

But still an interesting read that makes me what to read the biography of the three.

deleted d
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
great glimpse into the giant's success
- work with the best, don't work alone
- have no ego, think about the goal not your ego
Great success is defined by great people. With Intel, success was based on the partnership among three men, whose distinct personalities and strong desire to succeed were unmatched.
Koki
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Intel Trinity was a very inspirational book with what Intel's struggles and successes were. I was able to deeply understand the history of Intel and how it is one of the most important companies in the world. This book taught me that even if you are struggling a lot, you can achieve anything if you want something badly.

• Behind the Cloud: The Untold Story of How Salesforce.com Went from Idea to Billion-Dollar Company-And Revolutionized an Industry
  • Only the Paranoid Survive. Lessons from the CEO of INTEL Corporation
  • The Idea Factory: Bell Labs and the Great Age of American Innovation
  • The Innovators: How a Group of  Hackers, Geniuses and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution
  • Hatching Twitter: A True Story of Money, Power, Friendship, and Betrayal
  • Losing the Signal: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of BlackBerry
  • Revolution in The Valley: The Insanely Great Story of How the Mac Was Made
  • Without Their Permission: How the 21st Century Will Be Made, Not Managed
  • The HP Way: How Bill Hewlett And I Built Our Company
  • The Man Behind the Microchip: Robert Noyce and the Invention of Silicon Valley
  • The Man Who Solved the Market: How Jim Simons Launched the Quant Revolution
  • Chaos Monkeys: Obscene Fortune and Random Failure in Silicon Valley
  • That Will Never Work: The Birth of Netflix and the Amazing Life of an Idea
  • The Dark Net: Inside the Digital Underworld
  • The Age of Living Machines: How Biology Will Build the Next Technology Revolution
  • Spam Nation: The Inside Story of Organized Cybercrime — from Global Epidemic to Your Front Door
  • Hard Drive: Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire
  • No Filter: The Inside Story of Instagram
Michael S. Malone is a journalist and author who has been nominated for the Pulitzer price twice for his investigative journalism contributions. He has a regular column Silicon Dreams in Forbes (previosuly Silicon Insider for ABC)

Wikipedia entry