Start by marking “Think Better: An Innovator's Guide to Productive Thinking” as Want to Read:
Think Better: An Innovator's Guide to Productive Thinking

Think Better: An Innovator's Guide to Productive Thinking

There are thousands of books about thinking. But there are very few books that provide clear how-to information that can actually help you think better.

Think Better is about Productive Thinking -- why it's important, how it works, and how to use it at work, at home, and at play. Productive Thinking is a game changer -- a practical, easy-to-learn, repeatable process that helps people/>Think
Published January 10th 2012 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published September 26th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Think Better, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Think Better

Start your review of Think Better: An Innovator's Guide to Productive Thinking
Richard Gombert
Aug 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books24x7, audio, 2015
Pretty bad. Lots of mumbo jumbo, pseudo science and wishful thinking. Nothing of much of value, more pseudo processes to give the illusion of control and planning.
There were a few good observations scattered about.
The most insightful one: "Training, as practiced in much of corporate America, is an astonishing waste of resources."
Mr. Hurson goes on to explain that a hour, or a day training on a new process, a new skill, etc. With out the ability to use such knowledge once back i
Heather Larcombe
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Good processes for getting better ideas out of groups. Not certain it will work as well with individuals, but I'll certainly at least play with it a bit before deciding.
Robert
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Hurson explains that the premise of this book "is that success in our business, professional, and personal lives is less a matter of what we know than of how we think. If we can develop the thinking skills to generate more options and then evaluate those options more effectively, we can all live richer, fuller lives - and so can the people around us." The focus of the this book is on the thinkx Productive Thinking Model (PTM), developed by Hurson and his colleagues after rigorously evaluating a ...more
E
Mar 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Practical tool for improving creativity

Tim Hurson begins with a simple premise: Anyone can learn to “think better” – in other words, more creatively and productively. He says that by applying his methods, anyone can reliably come up with fresh ideas and solutions. If you’ve dipped into the fields of creativity, innovation or brainstorming before, you may find yourself nodding along, since his initial ideas are not surprising. Similarly, some of the techniques Hurson offers and the ex
Ko Matsuo
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book about active thinking. My takeaways:

1. Only by correctly framing problems do we unleash the power to find true solutions. We must fight the temptation to chase after the obvious, ie., no money, time or resources.
2. Early ideas aren't really ideas but regurgitations of patterns that we already have. If we stop at the first 10 ideas, we haven't gotten past the regurgitation.
3. The danger of plans is that they give us an illusion of control. The power of plans is
Marcio
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audio book version. It offers good insight into techniques to produce valuable and innovative ideas and solutions. In general I found it good to help bringing us out of the box and stop going with the "same old, same old" type of thinking. But as any book of this kind, it is filled with a considerable amount of self-help-like filler and motivational stories. Some of the cases are quite interesting and fun to try to find a solution, though. For example, the story about a telecom ...more
Bibhu Ashish
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great book which gives a great framework to understand the complex problems and find a suitable solution to the problem. The best takeaway from the book is the suggestion to be with the problem for a longer time rather than jumping to the solution. The more time that is spent in identifying the problem, the better the effect the solution would be. This book also provides some great tools to use for problem solving.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has interest in problem solvin
Barnabas
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
A very solid book that describes a framework how to think productively.
From the articulated methods of understanding the real problems, through the creative process of generating solutions, and how to incubate them to improve them, then finally how to align resources to tackle them, the book leads the reader through the full thinking process.
In general, a great advice for me was the deliberate separation of creative and critical processes, and K enjoyed the good acronyms for the various thinki
Darrell Rubel
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone, but especially for college students and those during their first 10 years on the job.
One of the most practical books I've ever read. So impressed that I bought copies for all of our team members at work! Wish I would have read this when I first started working.

We all want to find answers. The problem is, we don't find the right answers until we ask the right questions. Hurson does a brilliant job of laying out key questions and ways to approach problem solving in constructive ways. By simply applying some of these key questions, the quality of the think tank process takes a hug
Gayle
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Gayle by: Rich DeVerre
Shelves: non-fiction
I chose to read this book for a learning requirement at work. Little did I know how intriguing it would become once I started reading it. Hurson is a talented writer. And his ideas are easy to grasp. I enjoyed the book quite a lot. Will I use any of the techniques or concepts in the book? Perhaps. Using his Productive Thinking Model to the fullest would take quite a commitment in the organization. The key for me is determining which of the concepts I could apply.
Muhammad  Shalaby
A very good book, with regard to the concept and tools. It is somewhat business-wise especially when he speaks about planning and assigning resources.
It is very verbose when telling examples and this was somewhat lengthy and distracting.
The naming of the tools and steps was somewhat fabricated to match English words.
Erika
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not helpful for me because it focuses primarily on creative problem solving in a (corporate) work environment. It's possible it would be helpful for people looking for that sort of guidance, though it seemed to me not particularly original. But I was looking for guidance on creativity, and I chose this book without reading closely.
Derek
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Has some good methods on how to generate new ideas (the usual brainstorming information where you generate ideas without judging them until later) and how to evaluate them. I didn't find much new material in here though, most of it seemed familiar, so I wouldn't say this broke any new ground.
Brandon Carlson
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Some good tools in here for improving your thinking processes, breaking out of the grip of Confirmation Bias, etc. Many of these techniques are described in other books and have essentially been organized into a "system".
Mark Dykeman
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent in terms of, as it says, productive thinking. Excellent for business professionals (virtually every type of professional, actually) and it makes a great companion to Scott Belsky's book Making Ideas Happen.

Must read.
James Calderon
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The ideas in the book are solid in theory. I'm going to work on applying them and update from there.
João Teixeira
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good tips to keep your mind alive..
Eric
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended - best business book I have read on how to think outside of the box to see problems in a deeper light. Real world hands on application. I have used it with great success
Kiersten
Jun 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME book! Bought a copy for my dad
Mark Fallon
Sep 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a very good book on taking brainstorming to the next level.
Bill Frank
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read on this subject. The careful analysis of the steps needed to expand one's thinking is great. Very practical ideas. I strongly recommend this book.
Harold Taylor
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Harold by: Anu Garg
First noted in Anu Garg's A Word A Day E-mail it lives up to it's title. Creative thinking is cool.
Catrina
Nov 21, 2008 marked it as to-read
Looking forward to reading this one.. Its on my shelf :)
Bram Veenhof
Oct 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
Repeats others not original
Shrihari Chakrapani
Apr 14, 2011 rated it liked it
The first few chapters is really very good. Later chapters are more for reference and should be unused as a checklist to think better.
Andrzej Kaczmarczyk
Feb 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Almost a year in progress, I couldn't stand it anymore.
Imagine your future ...how you come to perfect work and how you spend the time on evening ...
The pots are sold with less shovels.
Rachel
Jan 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved his illustrations.
Abner Huertas
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gives a lot of good ideas about how to improve our thinking skills. I think that this book could be a little more shorter and direct to the point.
Andrew Wright
Oct 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Good, especially for those in management, but can apply to many different situations as well.
Nick Woodall
Good book to help you organize your thinking skills! Also, a good book to help you think differently. I love "thinking/idea" books and this was a good one.

• How to Mind Map: The Ultimate Thinking Tool That Will Change Your Life
  • Failing Forward: Turning Mistakes Into Stepping Stones for Success
  • A Whack on the Side of the Head: How You Can Be More Creative
  • Sparks of Genius: The Thirteen Thinking Tools of the World's Most Creative People
  • How to Get Ideas
  • Dynamic People Skills: Developing Relationships That Develop Success
  • The Click Moment: Seizing Opportunity in an Unpredictable World
  • Positive Intelligence: Why Only 20% of Teams and Individuals Achieve Their True Potential and How You Can Achieve Yours
  • Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice
  • Awakening Compassion at Work: The Quiet Power That Elevates People and Organizations
  • Planning Your Novel: Ideas and Structure (Foundations of Fiction #1)
  • Leverage Leadership: A Practical Guide to Building Exceptional Schools
  • The Gifts of Imperfect Parenting: Raising Children with Courage, Compassion, and Connection
  • Mystics, Mavericks, and Merrymakers: An Intimate Journey Among Hasidic Girls
  • Men, Women, and Worthiness: The Experience of Shame and the Power of Being Enough
  • Don't Bite the Hook: Finding Freedom from Anger, Resentment, and Other Destructive Emotions
  • Shifting the Monkey: The Art of Protecting Good from Liars, Criers, and Other Slackers
  • Refinery29 Money Diaries: Everything You've Ever Wanted To Know About Your Finances... And Everyone Else's
“In his book How the Mind Works, the linguist Steven Pinker gives a wonderful example of this. Pinker tells a simple three-sentence story: “Janie heard the jingling of the ice cream truck. She ran upstairs to get her piggy bank. She shook it till some money came out.”2 By themselves these three sentences don’t tell you much. But because of your patterns, without consciously thinking about it, you construct a meaning for the story that makes sense. You probably have some idea of how old Janie is. It’s unlikely that you picture her as someone in her thirties; you probably assume she’s 9 or 10. It’s unlikely you think bills came out when she shook her piggy bank; you probably heard coins. And you certainly don’t assume that she wanted the money to invest in Enron. None of this meaning is contained in the original three sentences, but because of your patterns, you impose meaning—your meaning—on the story.” 0 likes
“Ironically, the urge to know may be one of the most challenging obstacles to productive thinking. People who “know” can tell you all the things that can’t be done and why. People who “know” don’t need to learn because they already have the answers. People who “know” are complete—or perhaps just finished. More often than not, people who “know” are also people who “no.” But knowingness is not the same as knowledge. Knowingness is sealed; nothing can get in. Knowledge is open. Knowingness sees challenge as threat. Knowledge sees challenge as opportunity.” 0 likes