Start by marking “Away Is a Strange Place to Be” as Want to Read:
Away Is a Strange Place to Be

Away Is a Strange Place to Be

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
When she is kidnapped from the Earth in 2349 to serve as slave labor on an artificial world under construction, twelve-year-old Abby must cooperate with her fellow prisoner Bryan, a spoiled rich boy, in order to plan an escape.
Published January 30th 1990 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Away Is a Strange Place to Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Away Is a Strange Place to Be

Lisa
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
A few months ago, a friend told me about a corporation that is considering creating a reality show focused on colonists to Mars. Being the thoughtful and slightly obnoxious recent law school graduate that I am, my mind immediately went to societal regulation. "So wait," I said, "A private company would create and run the colony?"

"Yep," said my friend.

"Not a national government?"

"Nope," said my friend.

National governments are not perfect, but at least some of them contain checks and balances, str
AE Michels
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As is usual with Ms. Hoover, a sterling story!

Abby, a capable young lady, finds herself kidnapped to an under-construction space station and used as slave labor. Her efforts to survive and escape are complicated by her relationship with the boy kidnapped with her--an oblivious, spoiled, rich brat that she can't quite bring herself to abandon. How do you run away when you're stuck in space?

A heroine of color; a primary character who is blatantly less than perfect; a vivid story with great chara
Anna Hepworth
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: before-2013
I love Hoover's stuff - consistently good SF for the primary aged reader - and this book has given me no reason to change my beliefs. The story follows Abby and Bryan, two highly privileged kids who get accidentally shipped off to a 'special' school, that basically involves the kind of grunt work of building a space station that can't be left to machines. It is a story about learning how the other half lives, about learning to see how good your life really is, and about growing through adversity ...more
Benjamin Bookman
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my favorite Helen Mary Hoover book. Its ridiculous, but in the best possible way. I loved it.
Elissa
Jun 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2010
For a short book, it was surprisingly good. Of course, I would have loved more details - especially of the INN and the HABITAT.
Shanshad Whelan
Jan 29, 2009
Joei Robertson
rated it did not like it
Jan 23, 2012