Start by marking “The Last Best Kiss” as Want to Read:
The Last Best Kiss

The Last Best Kiss

Anna Eliot is tired of worrying about what other people think. After all, that was how she lost the only guy she ever really liked, Finn Westbrook.

Now, three years after she broke his heart, the one who got away is back in her life.

All Anna wants is a chance to relive their last kiss again (and again and again). But Finn obviously hasn’t forgotten how she treated him, and
Published April 22nd 2014 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Last Best Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Best Kiss

Start your review of The Last Best Kiss
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Reading this book was like eating a big slice of blueberry cheese cake in the most literal sense. It's sweet, it's comforting, it's enjoyable and there is nothing in it not to like. It's a generally pleasant feeling and I mean that for both reading the book and eating the cake. I also finished it in one quick sweep. It's a laid-back YA romance you can put in your to read list when fictional events and characters emotionally burden you too much. ;)
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Review originally posted at Mostly YA Lit

I love Austen retellings - I've read and reviewed a few Persuasion ones on this blog, and I would say that The Last Best Kiss is the probably the most realistic one that I've read - in both good and bad ways. It's a contemp that really feels like a slice of life - it is incredibly realistic in voice and character, and it occasionally gets a little bit boring, like real life does sometimes.

If you've read Persuasion, you'll recognize the story and its
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

I know that anyone in their right mind will immediately notice the flaws in The Last Best Kiss. I see them too. Yet I still give this 3 stars because Claire LaZebnik does a fantastic job at creating a cute love story about a girl who made some pretty bad decisions two years ago, and wants to get a second chance even though she well and truly knows that she does not deserve it.
I’ll explode with relief and joy. Because I still miss him, and I want a second
Rachel E. Carter
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-paperback
"You were either a coward or a hypocrite... I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out which one."

A+++. Claire's best Jane Austen retelling (a mon avis). Even though I was not a fan of Persuasion this book beat out Claire's Pride & Prejudice (Epic Fail). I loved how the tension carried out throughout the pages from start to finish & Finn was absolutely adorkable from the first page. Anna, while doing something terrible, manages to steal your heart & pity along the way. You
Nasty Lady MJ
May 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
1.5 if I'm being really generous. To see full review click on one of the below links:

My blog

Booklikes

Jane Austen did not write harlequin romances. I know that might be a startling fact to some of you. You have probably seen half a dozen YA, NA, and adult Austen retellings where Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy (all played by the endearing Colin Firth-because let’s face it half of the authors were fantasizing over him when writing said retelling) have torrid sex at Pemberley.

That didn’t exactly happen in
Muse-ic ♬
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow I really enjoyed that :D
I absolutely love the personality of our protagonist! Anna wasn't over-the-top in any way. She had the perfect amount of sass, smartness, artist, party girl, and maturity. Actually it's a little unrealistic because, from what I've observed she basically has no flaws, save for the mistake she made in her freshman year of high school. But that's freshman year of high school.
I loved her anyways. Her POV was wonderful and relaxing. Not too frustrating most of the time,
Jess
Persuasion is probably the Austen that I'm pickiest about with adaptations, mostly because it's my favorite but also because I think it tells the most human story. I was a little apprehensive about the high school setting despite my fondness for the other works, because Persuasion is such an adult story of second chances and I wasn't sure how that would translate.

As it turns out, I shouldn't have worried.

And really, if you're going to retell the story, high school is a GREAT place to do it,
~Tina~
When you like someone, it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks about him right? That was Anna Elliot's first mistake. She cared to much. Liking Finn Westbrook was easy to Anna. They had an instant connection in 9th grade carpooling to school and eventually they started to date, but Anna wasn't quite ready to share him with her friends yet since he wasn't on the social radar and would be defined as your typical nerd, so Anna kept him her little secret, that is till the dance where she ...more
Katy
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've always really like LaZebnik's works, mainly because of her "signature wit and expertly authentic teen voice," and this one is another that I can add to that pile.

At first glimpse, you may think it's another one of those those plots that have been overdone, and in a way, maybe it is. But I liked how LaZebnik didn't try to make it more than what it was.

Anna is a down-to-earth person who just wants to fit in, and as a somewhat nerdy awkward teen, you don't always know where that is. I liked
Katie
So this made for uncomfortable reading at times. I knew what I was getting myself into, but the way the initial relationship fell apart hurt and . . . to still from a different Austen, my good opinion once lost is lost forever. I don't know if I particularly like that about myself, but the relevance here is it can make reunion stories really hard for me. I guess sometimes I have a hard time both forgiving and being forgiven.

So with that particular prejudice in mind, the romantic relationship
Rahmi
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Omg it was so cute, even after finishing this book I'm still smiling
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Persuaded By Peer Pressure and Fear of Social Suicide

TYPE OF NOVEL: Persuasion Modern Adaptation, Young Adult

SETTING: Los Angeles, Present-Day

SYNOPSIS: When she was a freshman, Anna Eliot was secretly dating her short and nerdy carpool friend, Finn Westbrook. That is until he wanted to dance with her at the semi-formal and she rejected him in front of everyone. Even though her actions filled her with regret, Anna was never able to make it right because Finn’s family soon moved away and he
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

For more reviews, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

At this point, it’s seeming as though my love of LaZebnik’s The Trouble with Flirting may have been a fluke. The difference between her Mansfield Park retelling and the other two (Pride and Prejudice in Epic Fail and Persuasion in The Last Best Kiss) is that I didn’t care and in fact thought it was awesome that she made alterations to Mansfield Park. That book is a mess and changes only improve it. Not so
Jaime Arkin
Remember back to the days when all you were worried about was fitting in and not making a fool of yourself and making sure your friends accepted you?

Lezebnik takes you back to those days with The Last Best Kiss. We first meet Anna Eliot as a freshman… not completely sure of herself and worried about doing the wrong thing, the thing that will make her an outcast amongst her friends, and so she tries not to stand out. But she meets Finn Westbrook when her sister offers him a ride to school in the
Emma
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-wishlist-ya
utterly brilliant 're-imagining of Persuasion. captures the themes perfectly while making them more relatable to teens today. read in 1 sitting :)

Where to start, where to start – firstly this is a read in one sitting book so be warned you won’t want to put it down until that last page is turned. I cannot tell you how much I love this book – Claire LaZebnik manages to capture the themes from the original classic while presenting it in such a refreshing way as to make it more attainable to today’s
Fiona
The Last Best Kissis one of those novels that you’ll want to stay up past your bedtime to finish; I certainly stayed up late because I just couldn’t wait to see what happened next! Claire LaZebnik has done an admirable job recreating high school in all of its drama-filled, angsty glory. Teenagers will love Anna and all of her friends; they are sure to see themselves in here somewhere. And even if we all have an idea of what the end of this book will be like, readers will enjoy every page of the ...more
Debbie Narh
*Stopped at 20%

I really tried with this one and that's saying a lot because I didn't even want to read it in the first place. It sounds so full of clichés and annoying stupidity that I would not like anything about it yet I ventured on just to realize that I was right. Nothing in this story is compelling or sweet or cute. It's boring and simple. I don't care for it at all and the fact that all the characters are pretty whinny and one sided did not help this books case. I'm sorry but I cannot put
Andrea
Feb 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Lauren
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book will be reviewed on my blog Love is not a triangle closer to the release date.

I'm a big fan of modern takes on classic stories, especially those inspired by the works of Jane Austen. But inevitably, I always feel like they miss their mark in some way. There's just no way to perfectly recreate the magic from the original story. Persuasion is one of my favorite books, though I haven't read a lot of adaptations of it. I was really excited to discover that Clare LaZebnik was going to
Look for this review and more at my blog, Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews.

Anyone who reads my blog on a regular basis knows that Persuasion is my favorite Jane Austen novel. There is just something about the slow reveal of the main characters' previous relationship and the rediscovery of their feelings that always connected with me. I also enjoy creative retellings (especially of Austen stories), but, unfortunately, there just aren't as many contemporary versions of Persuasion. That is why I was so
Ornella (Nyx)
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

I'm going to be honest here and say I have never read Persuasion or any book by Jane Austen. Shocker I know, but well I have just never gotten around to it. So I can't say if this LaZebnik's latest retelling stayed true to the original. What I can say is I enjoyed it. It fit the cute and fluffy mood I was in.

Even though this was a cute book overall, there was quite a lot of it that was plain heartbreaking. First I felt so bad for Finn. His affection was genuine and he was 100% true to
Giselle
An Electronic Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss for review. Quotes have been pulled from an ARC and may be subject to change.

I didn't realize this was a Persuasion retelling until I saw the first line from Tiff @ Mostly YA Lit's review. I've been meaning to read that for so long and I can tell this would be a modern retelling.

I don't even know how to explain what I read. Other than the fact that we know what will happen because it's very predictable. Boy and girl
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Even though I own a couple of her books this is my very first official LaZebnick novel and I have to admit, I really enjoyed it. So much so that all those others just sitting there in my TBR pile are certainly going to get a dusting off and finally have their spins cracked open.

This was such a cute story. It has Jane Austen written all over it, woven into the very pages and storyline itself without have to be labeled a retelling or remake. It is very much it's own story.

Even though I am very
Abby Obis
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, re-read
My second book from Claire LaZebnik! ;)

This book is amaaaaaaziiiing. Very realistic in a way that it depicts the life of a lot of kids nowadays. We all so want to "fit in" that we end up hurting and leaving people. We'll end up facing the consequence of trying to fit inand that is being unhappy.

I also had a realization that we don't like people judging us for what we want to do yet we do it to others too. I guess it's human nature to be judgmental pricks? Lol.

This book was well written, for me
Perks Of Being A Fangirl
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, awesome-covers
Finn was the weird scrawny kid that everybody dismissed. However he had a special place is Anna's heart but he moved away..

And now he's back. Looking as hot as ever.

I first read Epic Fail a while ago and clearly remember I didn't like it, I didn't know why but it was one those unexplainable things however I wanted to give the author another chance so I picked up 'The trouble with flirting' and I really liked it. So I really hoped that this book wasn't like Epic Fail and I was proved right. I
Kas
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
The prologue to this story was SO good. So when I started reading the rest of the book I expected that there'd be some time spent on Anna's life around her girlfriends, and then at least by a quarter of the book through she'd be working towards getting Finn back. Nope. It was painful to read about her being jealous of Lily and doing nothing about it except self-loathing.
Stephanie
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars. I didn't really care for this one. The characters were unlikable, spoiled, and shallow. I didn't like the casual drug use or how the clothing of EVERY character was described in EVERY scene. There were a few cute moments, though, and a few of the parallels to Persuasion were well done enough to keep me reading.
Vem Night
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked how it started until in the middle. The ending was kinda abrupt and the conflict was oddly resolved.
Mary
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think "Modern YA Retellings of Jane Austen Books That I Can Read In A Single Sitting" is probably my favourite genre.
Manda
Nov 11, 2013 added it
Read an ARC from work and really enjoyed it! Will rate closer to publication
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Ask Again Later
  • Biggest Flirts (Superlatives, #1)
  • Don't Call Me Baby
  • The Art of Lainey (The Art of Lainey, #1)
  • Playing the Player
  • 17 First Kisses
  • Not in the Script (If Only . . . , #3)
  • Bright Before Sunrise
  • Finding Perfect (Finding Perfect #1)
  • The Chapel Wars
  • The Boyfriend App (App, #1)
  • The Game Can't Love You Back
  • Eyes on Me
  • The Boyfriend League
  • Better off Friends
  • Whatever Life Throws at You
  • Maybe This Time
  • The Stand-In Boyfriend (Grove Valley High, #1)
Please check out THINGS I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN, now available in bookstores and online.

"LaZebnik hits it out of the park with her story about pretty, popular Chloe and her loving relationship with her older, autistic sister, Ivy." BOOKLIST (starred review)

"Writing with honesty and wit, LaZebnik offers a thought-provoking portrayal of how people can come together despite, or perhaps because of, their
“But I know how this romantic stuff works: one girl's perfect guy is another girl's reject. And right now I'm glad of it.” 4 likes
“Hilary says to her sister, “You can’t eat only pie for lunch.”
“Just watch me.” Lily plucks her ukulele out of the tote bag at her feet and strums it, singing, “Pie is fine. It’s very nice/ Especially with lots of spice/ Like cinnamon and ginger too/ My sis would like it, but she’s a poo.”
“Oh, well, that’s brilliant,” Hilary says. “Taylor Swift must be looking over her shoulder.”
2 likes