Start by marking “Free to Fall” as Want to Read:
Free to Fall

Free to Fall

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  5,347 Ratings  ·  829 Reviews

What if you never had to fail or make a wrong choice?

What if you never had to fall?

Fast-forward to a time when Apple and Google have been replaced by Gnosis, a monolith corporation that
Published May 13th 2014 by HarperTeen

Emily May
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Emily May by: Keertana

What makes a good dystopian sci-fi novel?

...a fast-paced plot?
Personally, though I can appreciate the attraction of slow-moving dystopian fiction that gradually uses subtle language and events to paint a portrait of the world in peril, I much prefer the kind that drags me in, makes me immediately aware of the danger and forces me to sit on the edge of my seat, freaking out over whether the main characters will ever get through this. Free to Fall does that. I spent the entire novel needi
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Review also posted at Young Adult Hollywood.

Free to Fall is my first Lauren Miller book and I honestly didn’t have any idea what to expect. The first forty pages were rough for me but once I get through those I was sold and I just fell in love with Miller’s intelligent novel.

Steysha Kravits
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Have you ever had a problem with making a decision? A small one, like what to wear today? Or a big one, like which college to choose? Have you ever thought that it would be a lot easier if someone else was making those decisions for you?

Well then, this book should be in your to-read list!

The MC lives in the society where all decisions are made by an app. It literally knows everything about you and, therefore, what is better for you. It says what you should drink, which way to go, what you shoul
Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Buy this book HERE for CHEAP with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING

I received this book from HarperCollins and Lauren Miller's agency for free in exchange for an honest review and read-along with BookBusters. All opinions are my own.

4 of 5 stars. One question still lingers in my head as I'm writing this review. "What if you never had to fall?" (From Free to Fall's synopsis.) Wouldn't I love to live in Free to Fall's world, where everything is somewhat easy, and you have an app to decide everything for
Wendy Darling
After being disappointed or so-so on so many YA scifi novels, I enjoyed this so much more than I thought I would. This is a high concept story that really works, with well thought-out technology, nuanced characters, and an engaging plot. And a standalone! And a book with something to say, but doesn't hammer you over the head with it!

Review to come. But definitely put this on your list if you enjoy dystopian thrillers.
Danielle (Love at First Page)
4.5-5 stars

Hands down, Free to Fall is one of my favorite books so far this year, and I don’t see that changing by the time December 31, 2014 rolls around. There’s so much to love about it – a plot that epitomizes the proverbial onion, with layer after layer gradually being peeled back; normal, everyday characters with memorable personalities; a subtle, swoon-worthy romance that doesn’t overtake the plot but more than enhances it; and a clear message that in lesser hands would come across as che
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
What a crazy ride this book took me on.. Part sci-fi, part mystery I had no idea what was going on most times. It started off as a boarding school, secret society book but then it warped into something else. Where humans are so dependent on a decision-making app. There were so many similarities to our world today that I couldn't help but cringe. I liked that the pacing was pretty much perfect and even though it was long, the plot kept me intrigued, I was never bored!
Katerina Kondrenko
7 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
Deborah Harry – Free To Fall
Three Doors Down – The Real Life
Lab's Cloud – Fibonacci Progression

Genre: dystopia, YA
Stuff: smart app, secret society
Fail: HP vibes, teenish stuff
WOW: dystopian standalone is a rare thing
POV: 1st person, female
Love-Geometry: seeming

Quote-Co
Aya Hamza
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is just an interesting dystopia! BUT WHY TOOOO MUCH TECHNOLOGY!!
 photo 7d3782ece7e35f10855bedd8469d3ab6_zpsl72y8du5.jpg
Will our world be like the one in this novel about 15 years from now?
I can imagine that, but I hope not!!!

“What if there was an app that told you what song to listen to, what coffee to order, who to date, even what to do with your life—an app that could ensure your complete and utter happiness? What if you never had to fail or make a wrong choice?
What if you never had to fall?”

Yes. Free to Fall is about an app named "L
Alexandra
Review in russian: http://www.livelib.ru/review/531766

1-2 (SOMETHING IN BETWEEN) STARS!

I don’t even know what to say about this book, guys.
The beginning was really boring and predictable.
The middle part was not really boring but still very predictable.
And the end was (view spoiler)
Who wants to read a book where you can predict not even every second, but every third or fourth step?

photo brdbrt_zpsxxbp5gdm.gif

Definitely not me!
The main character - Rory (Rory,
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always

"Don't exchange the truth for a lie."

When I started this book, I was expecting a huge amount of flailage, feels and fangirl squealing to come as I read. While that didn't go as planned, Free to Fall still did leave me going "What the fuck is happening?" a load of times throughout the course of the book. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't possibly mark this one as a DNF because I needed to know how it ends!

Free to Fall had its fair share of ups and downs for me. The heroine, Rory, is an example of
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Of all the dystopias I've ever read, I'm really surprised to say a standalone that I almost donated has been one of my favorites. I'm surprised Free To Fall didn't get more hype, given how tightly plotted and intriguing it is. So here I am, with yet another "this-was-underrated-now-enjoy-it" review.

I have to say, this isn't necessarily a character-driven book. There are no memorable, can't-get-it-off-your-mind characters. Yes, but man, if this wasn't one of the most exhilarating books I've ever
Keertana
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: swoooon
I flew through Free to Fall in the space of an afternoon. Its beginning may take awhile to find its footing, but once Miller hits her stride this sophomore novel is a chore to set down. I've always believed that the best dystopians were the ones whose worlds were eerily similar to our own--and that's exactly what Free to Fall is: familiar. Unlike the societies of The Hunger Games or Divergent, Miller has molded a futuristic world much like our own, complete with large technological corporations ...more
Kseniia
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Что, если бы существовало приложение, указывающее тебе, какие песни слушать, какое кофе заказывать, с кем встречаться, даже что тебе делать со своей жизнью – приложение, обеспечивающее тебе полное счастье? Что, если бы тебе никогда не доводилось терпеть провалы или делать неправильный выбор? Что, если бы ты никогда не ошибался?

О, Боже. Мне не верится, что я прочитала ее. Я заприметила эту книгу, когда увидела к ней трейлер. Который мне очень понравился. Потом позже вышла книга, и я не удержалась
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
This is why reading among your backlist is so awesome. You never know what gems are hidden among your shelves! I thought I was done with dystopian novels, but I think that mostly applies to dystopian stories with a post-apocalyptic skew. Or, at the very least, that I'm still a fan of dystopian novels that read like thrillers with conspiracy theory plots.

Also, the ones that I like best are those that seem like they could really come to pass. People glued to their handheld devices? Check. Connecte
Debby
Oct 11, 2013 marked it as to-read

I LOVE THIS CONCEPT.

Another great sci-chic idea! *grabby hands* I want you in my life, book.
Ezgi Tülü
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aplikasyon’u ilk gördüğümde, arka kapak yazısının tamamını okumamış, sadece “Ya kiminle arkadaşlık edeceğini, hangi şarkıyı dinleyeceğini, kahveni nasıl içmen gerektiğini, kısacası nasıl bir hayat süreceğini söyleyen ve mutluluk garantili bir aplikasyon olsaydı?” cümlesine bakarak kitabı, Yabancı Yayınları’ndan çıkan Parazit’e benzetmiştim. Bu benzerlik de hoşuma gitmediğinden o dönem Aplikasyon’u okumaya başlamadım.

Kitabı yeniden ele almam dün oldu ve bu sefer kitabın tam açıklamasını okudum.
Maggie ☘ (Reader in Wonderland)
2.75/5 stars*

Great idea behing the story, but didn't work for me. The beginning was way too slow, the second half, on the other hand, was way too fast. While I did like the twists, I guessed most of them in the first half already, except for maybe one. I felt like for a sci-fi book, it didn't have enough of world building. And the book overall was basically only plot centered. One of the reasons for that is the fact that it's only a standalone. The storyline would've worked better in a duology.
Allison
You know how in Harry Potter J.K. Rowling gives you all of that extra time with Harry, Ron, and Hermione where they're just walking around, talking, and doing normal things? She gives you the opportunity to REALLY get to know her characters so much that you feel like they're close friends or family members? Everything they do makes sense because they're your pals. Why did Harry do that? Because he's Harry and that's what he does!

This book is the opposite of that.

While reading it, I was vaguely
Audrey
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
OMG OMG OMG OMG. This book was craaaaaaazy!
I had so many theories and I thought I predicted what was gonna happen and then another twist happened, and then another, and then another.
I need the second book, ASAP
Definitely one of the best books this 2014! Bravo, Ms. Lauren Miller!
Irene Sim
Though I read this book in two days, I think there's something missing to make it perfect and totally memorable. And that something is the lack of character development. The plot is brilliantly thought out in large and detail scale (to make it believable) but the characters are shallow and I didn’t manage to be related to them. At least not the way Susan Collins made me for Katniss or Veronica Roth for Tris.
I believe that Lauren Miller is an excellent writer who totally knows how to tell a story
ALEXA
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ALEXA by: Andi (Andi's ABCs)
Shelves: read-in-2018
I honestly wouldn't have had this book on my radar, were it not for my friend Andi. I'm so glad that I read it on her recommendation! I ended up really enjoying this story. FREE TO FALL is a bit of mystery, a bit of contemporary boarding school story, and a bit of science fiction - and the combo really worked for me. It was well-paced, the setting and the mystery were set up pretty well and I thought it ended on a satisfying note. My one little reservation is that I personally couldn't really fe ...more
Anorielt
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zuerst einmal, wer denkt das hier sei ein typisches Fantasy Academy Buch, der irrt sich gewaltig. Keine Fantasy und absolut kein typisches Academy Buch. Am Anfang ist das Buch interessant, danach hat es einen kleinen Hänger - wirklich nur klein - und danach wirds von Seite zu Seite spannender. Ich konnte das Buch nach dem kleinen Hänger echt nicht mehr aus der Hand legen, sondern hab stur durchgelesen, weswegen ich jetzt auch Kopfschmerzen habe, aber das war es mir wert.
Esther
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wauw, wat is dit een heerlijk young adult leesboek. Goed geschreven, boeiende personages en een heerlijk verhaal.
Ashley
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nose Graze — Book reviews & blogging tips

Holy mother conspiracy! Free to Fall was riddled with secrets, societies, plots, world domination! It was INSANE! Every time we uncovered one layer of the plot, we learned about something else—a totally new layer. It just kept building and building and building until it was this crazy, gigantic, epic web of lies and conspiracies! O_O

On a random note, Free to Fall made me really wish I was the kind of girl who hung out at a coffee shop every day. I f
Fernanda Granzotto
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a very difficult book for me to give a rating.
When I started to read I was liking it, it was not the best book I would read but it was nice, so I got in the middle of the book and things started to get really bad, the story was losing focus, several important points were just being throw in the book without any explanation, the romance was suddenly in the background, everything got a mess.
So we came to the last 200 pages where most of these things revealed were completely pred
Stacee
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent story. It did have a bit of a slow start, but the build up was interesting and kept me captivated.

Loved the plot, loved Rory and North, loved the ending.
Tina
May 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Wouldn't dream of it
So, I might usually not write rants or enjoy tearing a book apart. Except if it deserves it. And ‘Free To Fall’ is basically begging for it. So here goes.

‘Free to Fall’ is a dystopian novel set in the near future. People’s lives are dominated by technology, the usual blah blah, and recently a decision-making app has emerged. Enter our MC who gets accepted into a prestigious college prep school and falls in love with a boy who makes her question her lifestyle. From that point on, it’s all about
  • Expiration Day
  • End Times
  • Hungry
  • Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)
  • Plus One
  • Falls the Shadow (Falls the Shadow #1)
  • The Wicked We Have Done (Chaos Theory, #1)
  • Nil (Nil, #1)
  • (Don't You) Forget About Me
  • After the End (After the End, #1)
  • Minders
  • Renegade (MILA 2.0, #2)
  • Extraction (Extraction, #1)
  • Now That You're Here (Duplexity #1)
  • Dissonance (Dissonance, #1)
  • The Secrets of Lily Graves
  • Salvage
  • Elusion (Elusion, #1)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
    $9.74 $1.99
  • I Am Not a Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • I Capture the Castle
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
  • Saving Zoë
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Knowing that the voice wouldn’t scream to be heard, they made sure that the world stayed loud with music and movies and 24/7 news and incessant online chatter. If they couldn’t silence the whisper, they’d bombard people with other voices. Infinite choices.” 20 likes
“Even without Lux, I never would've ordered this," I pointed out. "I hate two of the four ingredients."
"Ah, but there are seven ingredients. And so what if you hate two of them? The fact that I hate Russian dressing doesn't diminish my enjoument of a good Reuben sandwich. Ours is amazing, by the way.”
3 likes