Start by marking “Coffee & Orange Blossoms: 7 Years & 15 Days in Tyre, Lebanon” as Want to Read:
Coffee & Orange Blossoms: 7 Years & 15 Days in Tyre, Lebanon

Coffee & Orange Blossoms: 7 Years & 15 Days in Tyre, Lebanon

When he moved to Lebanon to live in a Shia Muslim neighborhood, Nate Scholz knew he was in for an adventure. The aroma of orange blossoms wafting over the countryside was as inviting as the people he met. To avoid offending his Arab hosts, Nate learned to enjoy drinking bitter coffee. By the time the bombs started falling seven years later, Nate had married the woman of hi ...more
Published September 18th 2013 by Phoenician Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about Coffee & Orange Blossoms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coffee & Orange Blossoms

Start your review of Coffee & Orange Blossoms: 7 Years & 15 Days in Tyre, Lebanon
Nate
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote
So far this is the best book I ever wrote. Ha!
Melinda
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I received a free copy through Goodreads.
---
I would give this 3.5 stars.

This was an interesting read. Mind you I skimmed through the parts that talk about religions, although I did enjoy learning about Lebanon and the different cultures of people. Parts of the story that talked about war, racism and differences were fascinating. It really puts a different perspective to what we mistakenly lead to believe about people of certain backgrounds.

I enjoyed the format of the book. Each chapter focuses o
Kelly Hovey
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Coffee and Orange Blossoms is a gift to its reader, offering a look in the life of its author. Nate's honesty and insight, as well as his skill in telling a story, make this book encouraging, challenging, and enjoyable to read.
Elaine
Nov 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
I found the book interesting and yea he did say upfront he could only put so much into the book. It was interesting how he used the email after each chapter that brings you to the present.
But is lightweight book.
Joshua
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy reading the biographies of people who have allowed Jesus to define their lives. The combination of one man's faith journey with a significant current event made this one especially compelling.
Carol
Jan 21, 2016 added it
This was a delightful read!
Angie
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing and beautifully written story. The journey was fascinating. Thank you for sharing.
Chione
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
An easy read, this book covers the author's experience living in Lebanon from 1999 through 2006, including the 33 Day War between Lebanon and Hezbollah forces and Israel. Splitting the bulk of the story with individual emails sent to update family and friends during the short war, this was an easy ... if thought provoking book. The short chapters also made it easy to pick up and put down as I had time to read. That being said, I finished it in just over two days. =)

While I probably won't re-rea
Richard Coombs
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, history
Very interesting book of living in Lebanon through the 2006-07 war with Israel. I was there just before and at the end of the war. Interesting to read of many places I've visited in the country.
Anna Ahlbrecht
Oct 01, 2013
Victoria
Mar 14, 2014
Pam Small
rated it did not like it
Feb 14, 2016

• A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams
  • Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life
  • The Life of Charlotte Brontë, Volume 1
  • The Life of Charlotte Bronte, Volume 2
  • In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying
  • The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
  • The Guilty (Will Robie, #4)
  • No Turning Back: Life, Loss, and Hope in Wartime Syria
  • Elevation
  • Absolutely on Music: Conversations with Seiji Ozawa
  • River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze
While studying at Lutheran Bible Institute, Nate discovered a fascination and love for Middle-Eastern culture, which led him to teaching English in the biblical city of Tyre in south Lebanon for seven years.

Since returning to the States, Nate has enjoyed coaching others who are preparing to live cross-culturally, and has helped form communities of people who are inclined to warmly engage the Musli

News & Interviews