Start by marking “Infinite Sky (Infinite Sky, #1)” as Want to Read:
Infinite Sky (Infinite Sky, #1)

Infinite Sky (Infinite Sky #1)

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  1,272 Ratings  ·  246 Reviews
A truly beautiful book about the summer that changed one girl's life, as her mum leaves home, travellers set up camp in the family's field, her older brother goes off the rails, and she falls in love for the very first time. Opening with a funeral, Iris is mourning the boy in the casket - but who is it? Sam, her tearaway brother, or Trick, her tentative boyfriend? Over one ...more
Hardcover, US, 256 pages
Published May 20th 2014 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published February 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Infinite Sky, please sign up.

Catriona I was 14 when I read this and I believe it would be suitable for people from around 12ish up. There aren't any taboo-like topics (unless you count the…moreI was 14 when I read this and I believe it would be suitable for people from around 12ish up. There aren't any taboo-like topics (unless you count the family issues surrounding Iris') and there's a little 'first-love' type of romance so it's up to you and your judgement based on this answer what the age group this book is for. Hope this helps!(less)

Reynje
"And all the time the same question flails around my head, like a hawkmoth round a light-bulb: Is it possible to keep loving somebody when they kill someone you love?”

C.J. Flood’s debut, Infinite Sky, is a novel that is at once both understated and emotionally devastating; a story that unfolds gradually with a quietness that belies the impending tragedy.

The prologue hangs like a shadow over the following pages of the novel. It is made clear from the start that this is a story marked by death,
Isamlq
Feb 10, 2013 Isamlq rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I'm still crying. This despite knowing early on that something sad was going to happen (the very first chapter prepares us for it, but not really.. not at all!) Reading this one and feeling all the things that it has me feeling, has me wanting to reevaluate what type of book gets a four or five star rating from me nowadays, because honestly, if it's about the emotion, Infinite Skies deserves all my 4-5 star emotion based ratings ( and then some, because I'm still crying here)

I am certain that an
Irshad
Nov 08, 2015 Irshad rated it really liked it
Infinite Sky by C.J Flood is a 4/5 star for me.

I picked this book out just based on the synopsis that some betrayal was about to take place. I wanted to indulge myself in a bittersweet novel and this definitely filled that pothole for me.

The story starts out slow with background information being delivered. This included the location of the protagonist, her surroundings, her family members and also the gypsy boy. This was crucial in the development of the story. And to top that, a map of Iris's
L. Lim
Jun 28, 2013 L. Lim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cat InTheNet
Muiiito perto das 4 estrelas. Acho que o que me fez gostar menos foi o facto de ter demorado muitoo tempo a lê-lo, mas estas últimas páginas deram cabo de mim. Tive de parar várias vezes para ver se não me esvaí-a em lágrimas. Tive muito perto de deitar umas quantas. Chocked on feelings deve ser a expressão que mais define. Dos melhores YA's que tenho lido ultimamente.
Martinxo
May 23, 2013 Martinxo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Martinxo by: Tracy Hager
Shelves: fiction, 2013
This excellent book comes under the category of 'young adult' but don't let that put you off. It's a great story and I shed a little tear at the end. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Ever since her mum left Iris's family has been falling apart, her dad has been drinking too much and her brother Sam has become angry and withdrawn. Iris is only 13 years old but she is the one who is trying to hold them together, she does her best to take care of the house and cook for them all but it isn't easy and she's left feeling sad and alone. The day a family of travellers move onto their land changes everything, her father and Sam are both angry and want the travellers gone but
Becky
Jun 09, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-review
Infinite Sky is a beautifully written story of first love and loss. It’s a bittersweet read which squeezes the heart and fills you with a longing for something that’s just out of reach.

From the very first page, the most striking thing about this book is the quality of the writing. It has a beautiful simple sound to it. It reads as if the author considered every beat, every single word, every simile. It doesn’t come across as flowery language or particularly poetic. It’s more an earthy, honesty i
Kit Grindstaff
Jan 06, 2013 Kit Grindstaff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. As a Brit expat, its Englishness gave me a sweet longing for those slow, lazy summers that Flood describes so well here. But don’t be fooled by sunny fields and cornfield hideouts: they’re woven through with the very gritty stuff of abandonment and loss, judgment and prejudice, in a compelling and heartfelt story told through the understanding eyes of its main character, Iris.

Left by their mum, Iris and Sam face summer with their dad, who's busy drowning his sorrows. Sam, par
Lucy Powrie
You can read more of my reviews at Queen of Contemporary

In this deep and heartfelt novel, Flood appeals to the readers emotions and sends them on a whirlwind journey of discovery.
When a family of travellers move into the paddock behind Iris Dancy’s farmhouse, she is immediately transfixed. Who are these people, and why does her dad hate them so much?

This book deals with tough subjects such as prejudice and discrimination and I think those subjects were dealt with in a very good manner. The hosti
Soumi
An exceptionally good coming of age story of a thirteen years old girl Iris, which broke my heart and mended it at the same time.
The book was told from POV of Iris, narrating in a voice which was pretty unusual yet believing. It felt like I saw her world through her eyes.

Living in a broken family and dealing with her own teenage problems was pretty hard for Iris, until a new gypsy family moved to her father's land and she quickly developed a friendship with their boy Trick Deran. Her father tol
Neil (or bleed)
My detachment with this book is so high that even the later parts should be deftly sad and moving, I wasn't moved and felt sad. At all. I don't exactly know why but I just can't connect with Iris (the mc) and the other characters involved in this story.

Infinite Sky is not a bad book. It's not even boring, too, but when I'm not emotionally invested with the characters and even with the story, it tends to topple on the boring direction even it wasn't.

Infinite Sky is a family story. Iris is trying
Heather
Nov 30, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(This review can also be found on my blog (The (Mis)Adventures of a Twenty-Something Year Old Girl).

When I first heard of Infinite Sky by C.J. Flood, I knew it was a book that I was going to have to read as soon as possible. Firstly, because I have a thing for Irish travellers. I find them fascinating. Secondly, it sounded like a really good read. I must say that I fell in love with this story.

Infinite Sky is a coming of age story told by thirteen year old Iris. Iris' mother has left her, her br
Kristine
Mar 26, 2014 Kristine rated it it was amazing
Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

I received an advanced readers copy of this book from Atheneum Books for Young Readers via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

I am writing this review minutes after putting the book down and I will warn you that my eyes are puffy and my emotions are raw. This book did not just give me that awful lump in my throat but tears that ran down my cheeks.

It is evident from the prologue that something terr
Matisse
Jul 09, 2015 Matisse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been months since I read a book as touching and heart-achingly beautiful as Flood's 'Infinite Sky'.

The novel opens simply enough. We meet Iris, the thirteen-but-not-yet-fourteen-year-old protagonist. There is her broken family, the gypsy caravan that has taken residence in her farm, and Trick, the cute traveler boy who lives with them. It's all set up to be a cute little boy-meets-girl story. Not until the fifty-page mark or so do we realize that 'Infinite Sky' wants to transcend YA conven
Jodie (Books for Company)
www.booksforcompany.com
In Short
- Infinite Sky is a unique read which tackles difficult 'subjects'.
- I loved both the main characters and felt they were developed well.
- I like how C.J. let the reader make their mind up about Trick and his character.
- The storyline kept my attention throughout the book.

In Long
I haven’t ever read a story like Infinite Sky before and I was excited to start reading it. I was intrigued by the storyline and wanted to get to know Trick’s character and see how C.J. had
Siew Ee
May 19, 2013 Siew Ee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With these words in the prologue, “Is it possible to keep loving somebody when they kill somebody you love?“, I asked myself whether I should go on. After all, the author has prepared the reader for the worst. I did read on because of two main reasons : 1) to find out who was the killer and the victim, both of whom were close to her heart; and 2) What happened? Ahem … that basically meant reading the whole book.

There’s Iris, a thirteen-year-old girl weathering a difficult teenage phase followin
ReadingToTheStarsAndBack
Originally reviewed at: ReadingToTheStarsAndBack

Infinite Sky was so emotional, I actually teared up towards the end.

Some reviewers have pointed out that it can be a little vague in places, but I think that’s how it’s meant to come across.

There was an innocence to Iris that was refreshing after reading YA novels that are about older teens.

In some ways it reminded me of The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Not just because it contains death, but there was a spark in this novel similar to TFiOS.

T
Kirsty (overflowing library)
Infinite sky is a beautiful book which will make you smile and break your heart at the same time. I enjoyed it thoroughly and whizzed through it in one sitting because I literally couldn't put it down.

For me this book was really about the relationships you form with people and the challenges those relationships can face. The story follows Iris a teenage girl who makes friends with the gypsy boy who are camped up on her father's land. Her father is very prejudice against the gypsy family from th
Iffath
Aug 15, 2012 Iffath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-ya, read-in-2012
I started INFINITE SKY with the expectation of something pretty, something that would take my mind off things. It was, and it did.

The novel is about 13-year-old Iris, who befriends a mysterious gypsy boy, whose family has taken up residence near her home. Gypsy travellers are seen in a very negative manner in the story, Iris' father even forbidding her to talk to any of them. But her eyes are not prejudiced, and so begins a heart-warming relationship with the boy, Trick.

I really liked Iris' char
Nicole McInnes
Jul 24, 2013 Nicole McInnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though I know Chelsey through our mutual author group The Lucky 13s, that has no bearing on the fact that INFINITE SKY is one of the most gorgeous YA novels I have ever read.

The story of young teen Iris simultaneously dealing with her mother's essential abandonment and her own curiosity about the gypsy-like boy and his family who have set up camp nearby is unusual and compelling. Characters are explored so beautifully through their actions and dialogue that I often marveled at the author's abil
Amber (Books of Amber)
I was expecting Infinite Sky to be a beautiful and captivating read, but unfortunately it didn't live up to those expectations. It was pretty dull. Despite being bored for most of the book, I did get kicked right in the feels towards the end.

Full review: http://www.booksofamber.com/2013/01/i...
Amanda Sun
Oct 21, 2012 Amanda Sun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an astonishing book. Lyrical and beautiful, Flood finds deep meaning in the smallest of things, each feeling familiar and at the same time, a wonder. I saw myself in Iris, trying to make sense of the complex adult world that we must live in, even as a child. This is a stunning debut by an incredible talent. Infinite Sky is an absolute delight, and Flood is an author to watch.
Emma Pass
Feb 06, 2012 Emma Pass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is gorgeous, and utterly heartbreaking. I read it a few weeks ago and I still can't stop thinking about it. You will need several boxes of tissues for this one!
Dajana J.
Nov 25, 2012 Dajana J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I tried really hard to like this book but it just wasn't for me. *sigh*
Review to come. Probably.
Julianna Helms
Aug 16, 2012 Julianna Helms marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bam-covers
What a beautiful cover.
Rachel Lightwood
Oct 17, 2013 Rachel Lightwood rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: Stephen Diaz
I have always been wary of the contemporary genre. I have previously tried to avoid it for I always thought of it as plain fiction, as in the boring, dull, nothing-interesting-happens sort of plain. This year though I am trying to delve into the genre a bit more and try and find something that suits me. I have found that I much prefer the light-hearted romance with funny characters - such as Anna and the French Kiss or This Is What Happy Looks Like - to the sad and purposefully emotional books s ...more
Richa
Originally posted at City of Books - http://ecstatic-for-books.blogspot.com/

Infinite Sky was a little different from what I expected. Mainly because the main characters were so young – thirteen, to be exact. But despite that, their wisdom is incredible. I loved the genuine feel of this book. It’s the kind of book that really speaks to you – something you can easily believe and maybe even relate to in some ways. There’s a sort of innocence to this book, while at the same time you can see the unde
Kai (Amaterasu Reads)
Review posted at Amaterasu Reads

"Is it possible to keep loving somebody when they kill someone you love?"

I should've known. When I've read that line, I should've known that this is going to be one of those reads that gets in your skin and leaves you overwhelmed with emotion when it's all over.

Iris' is a good kid. A little bit lost and lonely, with her mother leaving them, but she's there to discover what life is like for herself with all the things changing around her, and with Trick's family ca
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
This review was originally published at Fluttering Butterflies

Sometimes a book comes along and fills a hole in your heart that you never knew existed. For me most recently, that book was Infinite Sky by CJ Flood, which I was lucky enough to read well in advance of its publication date. I was really attracted to the cover of the book and was expecting to read a cute story of a girl finding love over the course of a summer.

But, happily, when I started reading Infinite Sky, it turned out to be so
  • Friday Brown
  • Life Was Cool Until You Got Popular
  • Leap of Faith
  • The Reece Malcolm List
  • Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains)
  • Fault Line
  • Nobody But Us
  • Anthem for Jackson Dawes
  • Sunny Sweet Is So Not Sorry
  • Absent
  • Emma Hearts LA (Hearts Series, #2)
Hi, I'm Chelsey. I grew up in Derby, and now live in Bristol. I like fire and the sea and trees.
More about C.J. Flood...

Infinite Sky (2 books)
  • Untitled (Infinite Sky, #2)

“There was nothing I wished I'd said to him. There was nothing I wished I hadn't said.” 10 likes
“For some reasonthen, I remember how Sam hated to be laughed at, and all of the times I did it anyway, because I wanted him to feel stupid, and I wonder how anybody can be cruel to someone they love. How can anyone do anything but love each other and be kind when at the end of it all, waiting quietly, sure as the dark at the end of the loveliest day, is only this?” 7 likes