Start by marking “I Stopped Time” as Want to Read:
I Stopped Time

I Stopped Time

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  200 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
“Can you think of a really good memory? Perhaps you can see it when you close your eyes. Now, imagine you could take it out and look at it whenever you wanted to!” Turn of the century Brighton. A spark is ignited when wide-eyed Lottie Pye enters Mr Parker’s photographic studio and discovers the new medium that will shape her life, becoming a passion.

2009: Disgraced politic
Paperback, Alternate Cover edition, 398 pages
Published May 28th 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about I Stopped Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Stopped Time

Sheri
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Stopped Time(Jane Davis)

2009 Sir James Hastings finds that his estranged mother has passed away at 108 years old. She left him and his father when he was a baby he felt nothing but contempt for her. Then he teams up with is friend Jenny and they start gathering some facts of her life.

Lottie Pye (James mother) was a modern liberated woman for her time, not the average home-maker/mother. When she passes she has left her prized possession her cherished photography collection, over six decades wor
Lorraine Devon Wilke
I’m not typically drawn to historical fiction, but after reading and thoroughly enjoying a more contemporary novel by author Jane Davis (These Fragile Things), I wanted to dig deeper into her catalogue and see what else she had. Given my own interest in photography and its power to “stop time” and tell stories, the premise of this one intrigued me, and I was very well served.

Spanning different eras and places – early twentieth century Brighton through the war years, and up to contemporary life i
Barbara
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: manteca-readers
Interesting information about photography and good descriptions made the images easy to visualize but felt the characters needed much more development.
Margarita Morris
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written portrait of a young woman finding herself through photography. The characters were all well-rounded and the story is full of historical details that bring it to life.
Melanie Edmonds
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
IN A NUTSHELL

I Stopped Time is the story of Lottie and her son James. As a young woman, Lottie left her husband and baby son, and James never knew his mother. After Lottie dies at the ripe old age of 108, she leaves James her photography collection, which documents her life. Through these photographs, James has the chance to find out who his mother really was and why she left him.

PLOT

I’m not going to give too much away here, except to say that the book is nicely paced and carries you along right
Becky Condit
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Compulsion Reads
When Sir James Hastings receives a truckload of mysterious boxes, he is displeased to discover they hold the entirety of his mother’s life in photographs, letters and other mementos. Sir James grew up in the void of his mother’s voluntary absence and never forgave her for it. When he reluctantly agrees to allow a young college student, Jenny, to review the materials for a class project, the two slowly piece together the life of an extraordinary woman.

I Stopped Time is a beautiful and lush novel
Debbie Young
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
From its intriguing title to its perfect closing line (don't cheat and read it first!), this is a compelling story cleverly skipping between two time frames, primarily the story of the mother of a retired MP, but also weaving in the impact her choices made upon his whole life, though he barely knew her.

Things I liked best about this novel:

- fabulous title and cover
- well-developed characters, not just the two key roles but lots of bit parts too
- feisty heroine
- affectionate and evocative descrip
Amelia Elizabeth
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I think this book would be perfect for you Downton Abbey fans. While not set in the same kind of atmosphere, the story does party take place in the early 1900s. I Stopped Time is the story of Lottie and told from two different points of view, in two different eras. The first is from her own point of view in Edwardian England. Lottie's life is changed when she enters the photography studio of Mr. Parker.

In present day, Sir James Hastings has received boxes from his late mother's estate. Boxes of
Jemma Bastable
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best books are the ones that leave you feeling as though you've befriended somebody along the way, and I definitely got this feeling after following Lottie through the various passages of her life. I thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful descriptions of her childhood in Brighton in particular, as they made me feel as though I could really smell the salty sea air and hear the waves rolling in over the pebbles. Her friendship with Alfie was also wonderfully portrayed in these parts and I definitely ...more
Cleo Bannister
This book tells the tale of Lottie, a woman who wasn't around through her son's young life. James doesn't know, or want to know, about his absent mother until she dies and he is left a photography collection. Through these photographs he discovers more about her.

I loved the way that Lottie's life unfolded through pictures, a clever (and brave) device which worked fantastically well. It was a real change from the diary with the missing pages which is often used! The ending was perfect, not being
Jean Gill
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional writing, with a heart

When a story pulls you into it so you care about the characters and believe in every moment you’re with them, and in addition the quality of writing enriches your experience, you’ve found something special. That’s how I feel about Jane Davis’ work.

This one creates the wartime period in emotion detail not just factual background; in attitudes to parentless children, unmarried mothers, work and respectability – or lack of. The reader starts wondering how a mother c
Liza Perrat
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another beautifully-written tale by talented author, Jane Davis, I Stopped Time is the story of a mother, Lottie Pye, and her estranged son, James that sweeps us back to 1900s Brighton, and wartime London.

James knows very little of his mother, until he is bequeathed her photographs, and, with the help of young Jenny, pieces together a picture of his mother. In turn, the reader also uncovers the character of this fascinating and determined woman, who became a famous photographer.

In this delightfu
Tabitha
I have mixed feelings about this book. Although I adore Jane Davis's writing style, this was one of those books that I couldn't get myself to love.I feel like there were many historical references that I didn't comprehend well. I did really enjoy the personality and interactions of the main character,Lottie. I read this prior to reading her book "These Fragile Things" which I feel it was difficult to surpass my feelings over that book.
It has a good plot, but I wasn't really engrossed into the s
Tina Ambury
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
what a delightful book with a surprising twist at the end. For some reason I thought this was a SciFi book; how wrong could I be?
I don't normally like books that switch around too much but the separate stories of the main characters played together well. The jumping around in time was hardly noticed due to the tale told.
The quality of the writing and characterisation are very good.
I have two small niggles. Firstly some loose ends are not tied up, or rather some threads are not pursued and I'd ha
Jane
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found myself gradually drawn into this story slowly and eventually engaged. The author has done some detailed research into the history of the period and at certain points this shows through rather than the narrative, giving an uneven ride to the reader at times. I was left wondering if she should have stepped away from the fiction and written up her research as social history rather than a novel. However overallit was an intersting and entertaining read
Deb McEwan
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I stopped time is a beautifully written novel, encompassing two timeframes and two very different characters. I was intrigued after the first few pages and couldn’t put the book down. The characters were easy to identify with and as each layer was peeled I found myself sympathizing more and more with Lottie.
No spoilers here but I will say that I felt that rare sense of loss when I finished this book. A sure sign for me of a great read.
Highly recommended.
Davida Chazan
A female photographer who was ahead of her time connects with her long-estranged son after her death through the pictures she took that spanned a century of change. Read my review of this book here http://drchazan.blogspot.co.il/2015/0...

nikkia neil
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! Loved everything about this book. It's a escape and a pleasure to read.
Evan Clark
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly moving, haunting read that leaves you feeling good.
Tony Parsons
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Life has many twists/turns.
Mr. Packham killed his wife at the Marlborough Hotel.
Christina Edwards the Chocolate Cream poisoner injected sweets with strychnine. She was declared criminally insane after murdering Sidney Miller.

1910, Brighton, England. Mr. Nathaniel M. Parker (photographer, Parker’s Photographic Studio) was sharing his camera bug history & secrets about his studio to Ms. Lottie Pye (adopted orphan).
Felicity was not pleased that Lottie was in his acquaintance.
Mr. Parker met
Jane Davis
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Where did you find your inspiration for ‘I Stopped Time’ from?

Reading a biography of Lee Miller, one of my heroines. I knew her photography but, as it turned out, very little of her life. She was an extraordinary, extraordinary person. One of the most sought-after fashion models of her day, who became a muse to surrealist photographers and artists such as Man Ray and Picasso. But she had always yearned to be on the other side of the lens and, in time, she became highly respected for her own work
Mary Dalton
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my first time reading this British author -- I was curious because she's had success self-publishing her literary fiction. (This is not a popular concept in the U.S., to say the least.) I was thrilled by how good Davis's work is. She is particularly good at drawing well-defined, believable characters who defy stereotypes. This is true no matter the age of the character.

"I Stopped Time" deals with a ground-breaking female photographer who lives through the whole of the 20th Century, but
Jessica Ryn
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a masterpiece! My mother recommended it to me as she knows I love 'time slip' novels with dual narratives. The story is woven together with such skill and explores themes of identity, loyalty and loss. The characters are vibrant, especially Lottie Pie, the main character who I loved throughout. The authentic details from historical Brighton from the beginning of the last century made the novel come to life without feeling forced. I spent much of my childhood in Brighton, so this bea ...more
Julie  Whitley
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have loved every book I've read by Jane Davis. Each is highly original and lyrically written with wonderful, rounded characters. You won't be disappointed if you add this or any of Jane Davis' books to your summer reading list.
Damon
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book

Such wonderful characters each living their life but coming together to weave a remarkable story. My heart felt each of their struggles and their victories.
Bill
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Truly Fine Novel

Thanks to Jane Davis for this Most Excellent tale well told.
I loved the narration from the various characters and eras. All of it tied together with skill. One of the best books I've read in a long while.
Barb
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful tale, beautifully written, of an extraordinary young woman who liberates herself in the early 1900's and becomes an outstanding and successful photographer. It is a really great book and deserves the maximum stars. Cheers and thanks to author Jane Davis. I look forward to reading more of her stories.
Becky Condit
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I Stopped Time is generally categorized as historical fiction, women’s literature, and a mystery novel. I’m going to add one more. This books speaks to me as a historical romance. Interestingly enough the two main characters are mother and son so the romance is not between them. The romance is between the mother and another character who has only bits of page time, sprinkled throughout the book. They do get their HEA so that qualifies it as a romance. I will not name the object of her affection ...more
John Herbert
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: over-hyped
Oh boy!
This review is going to seem a tad out of place here, because it is the only review that isn't hitting this page with glowing praises of how marvellous this book is.
And the even more puzzling thing is, I'm not quite sure if I can put my finger on my reasons why I'm on a slight downer with this book.

I don't know whether it was the writing style that knocked me slightly askew, but I found myself reversing to read certain paragraphs again because I hadn't taken in what I was reading. Probabl
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Jane Davis is the author of eight thought-provoking novels. Her debut, Half-truths and White Lies, won the Daily Mail First Novel Award and was described by Joanne Harris as ‘A story of secrets, lies, grief and, ultimately, redemption, charmingly handled by this very promising new writer.’ The Bookseller called her 'One to Watch.' She has since published six further novels, These Fragile Things, I ...more
More about Jane Davis

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“The hole someone leaves behind can be greater than the space they occupy in life.” 0 likes