Start by marking “The Other Sister (Sister Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Other Sister (Sister Series, #1)

The Other Sister

(Sister #1)

Published September 29th 2013 by Leanne Davis

Mei
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
This was a very good book that made me think. About what? About the depth of hate people can reach.

I was astonished by how a teenager girl was treated! (view spoiler) I almost throw up when I read of what was done to her!!!

I was asking myself how is it possible for such sickness to exist! Why God didn’t strike him dead?! Why was he still breathing the same air I did
Fabi
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I listened to the Audible narrated version of this book. I got to over 95% of it. Why didn't I finish? Well...it was working on a five star rating from me all the way through about 80% of the story. But then, one of the MCs did something that made no sense to me at all. I'm sorry to say that the story quickly went downhill for me from that point on.

It may not be fair to rate a book 3 stars based on the last 20% of the story. But, ultimately, the rating reflects the reader's feelings at the end o
❤️Melanie G.
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a total surprise, this book. I picked it up on Amazon as a free book and not sure what to expect from the reviews. However this book really surprised me. It was beautifully written. The story line is well laid out and put together nicely.
Jessie is a character that you watch grow and transform. Will is the quite strong type that forces and holds Jessie together. Their story is painful, transforming and surprising. This book is a love story worth reading.
Jenna
Feb 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
This book was disturbing, unrealistic to much of every character being a total psycho. Will in the beginning is like a robot you just rescued a woman from a terrible situation and you're not even impressed. And Jessie you have been raped for days by different man and only days after that you behaving like a whore. I don't know but logic would say that after being raped you can't stand to be close to a man or being touched by one would be a major problem. And a dad watching a sex video from your ...more
Amber
5 I FELT EVERY EMOTION STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

This book is gripping, raw, emotional and powerful.
It is intense, dramatic and heartbreaking.
It is so well written, and flows so perfectly, that I was absorbed into the story from the very first page.
I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN

Jessie is so broken. The atrocities done to her in her short life are beyond reprehensible. She has endured far more than anyone should ever have to endure in a lifetime. She thinks she is unlovable, bad and repulsive but she's strong and sma
Esther
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

It was very realistic and heartbreaking.

I love Jessie. She has been through a lot in her life thanks to her "honorable" father, but still has remained strong, although her decisions haven’t always been the best, she has been able to move forward. Also the issue of self-harm is something with which I identify.

I don’t like Will. It was too cold, almost as if he had no feelings. Even at the end I didn’t have clear if his feelings for Jessie were shame or love.
Lady E
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A GR bud of mine recommended this to me as I had been having a really BAD run of books that just didn't do it for me. This is my first book by this author but certainly not the last. Its not an easy or fun read, but I can say I did enjoy the story.
Farhin
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, kindle
***Trigger Warning: Self-harm, domestic abuse, sexual assault.***

This was pretty dark.
I'm not sure how to word my review for this. But I was glued to my phone screen. This is one of the many kindle freebies I downloaded and I was surprised by how much I liked it.

Somehow I feel bad for saying that. This book was tragic for 90% of its entirety. So much happened to one character. I'm kind of relieved the author chose to write it in a third person narrative so I could keep a sense of detachment fr
Cindy ~
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Words cannot describe all the emotions I went through reading this book. It’s very rare for a book to bring me to tears but the story of Jessie Bains is so heartbreaking and shocking in the atrocities that were done to her. She was violated in almost every way imaginable.

I think you get what the books about from the books description and telling more than that would spoil the experience of reading this gut-wrenching emotional rollercoaster. But this book isn’t typical as far as a romance books
Dusti Hanrahan
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5+ stars!

I was so surprised by how much I loved this book.
It is hard to tell about the storyline wo giving it away but it is so amazing and emotional I will be hungover for days.
This is a different kind of dark...Jessie, daughter of a very prominent military general, is kidnapped to Mexico and brutally beaten and raped. Will, a special ops soldier is sent to rescue her...... It is not a book about being kidnapped, it is about the aftermath (and so much that leads up to it) It is dark in a diffe
Tricia Len
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was not expecting such a gut wrenching experience. I love a book that pulls you in, makes you laugh, makes you cry, that makes you want to murder someone evil.... not much laughter but well worth reading.

The h is very damaged and the H is well ...he is a hero ... he is wonderful... and you will want them to find their HEA .... you won't be disappointed.
Nikki  Malan
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Other Sister (Sister Series, #1)
By Leanne Davis
Meet Jessie the girl that is acting out and everyone just sees her as the bad sister. Deep down there are reasons she is acting out. Meet her father the honorable General Bains, but is he honorable? Meet Will Hendricks the Soldier that sees it all, the soldier that is not scared to stand up against what he believes is wrong. Meet the Soldier who finally sees Jessie for what she is and how he is going to help her.
This book was superb and the stor
Kate's Corner
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. -Friedrich Nietzsche-

I Can't write a review as it would be full of spoilers. The quote above is a good example of how some parts of the book can be described.

At first there was light
Then came the dark
The two fought for domination

Dark was tamed
And became an asset of light
The second side of the coin

It touched me that how cruel we
Kathleen Crowell
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Glad it was a freebie. Honestly, the things that happened to Jessie were so atrocious I don't really buy a recovery and HEA happening. The sinister nature of the story and overwhelming sadness was kind of a turn off and Will was like a robot most times. Was excited by the premise but it fell short for me, unfortunately.
Susan Angela Wallace
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
the other sister by Leanne Davis.
General Travis Bains has two daughters, one who is good, and one who is bad. Everyone knows Lindsey is the good one, and Jessie is the bad one. Jessie Bains is the other sister, the bad sister, which she has proven more often than not, until the day she gets kidnapped and brutally raped. Will Hendricks, one of her father's soldiers, rescues her and brings her home, but fears she may be nearly destroyed by what is done to her. The most important thing, however, i
 Joyce
I loved this story line. This story is about a military General that took out his wives infidelity on their child. The path to the HEA has many twists and turns butmakes the story so good.
Felicia Thomas
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow! Talk about a whirlwind of emotions. There were so many twists and turns to manuver through. I'll admit, I almost stopped reading this book b/c at times it felt like it was taking too long, to get to a point. But I must say, once the point is made, the book really takes off. Jessie is labeled as the "bad" sister. But what no one seems to want to realize is why she is labeled as such. And by all means, no fault of her own. Jessie is kidnapped and being held in Mexico. What was suppose to be a ...more
Paula
This is a very interesting story. I couldn't put it down. It's about General Travis Bains, who has two daughters. One, the blond, blue eyed,is perfect. Everything a father could want. She, Lindsey is even following in her father's footsteps by being in the military. Then there is Jessie, who is dark haired, brown eyed heavy busted. Totally opposite of Lindsey who can do no wrong in her fathers eyes. The General can't stand Jessie whom he is physically abusive to because she can't do anything rig ...more
Cyndi Marie ☆★Audiobook Addict★☆
🎧 Audio Review 🎧

This is a new to me author and the series was recommended by a friend who knew I was looking for something different. And this was different from my normal book for sure! I really enjoyed this book even though I expected it to be a little more suspenseful after the first couple chapters. I listened straight through because it was a SLOW BURN and I had to see what happened! The characters were realistic, he was a fixer and a good guy which I love and she was damaged. They were per
Leylan
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Other Sister is a story that encompasses many issues: rape, loss, family, the military and love. It was not what I was expecting but I loved reading it nonetheless. It's a really touchy subject to write about but I think the author did a good job. The emotions on the characters feel real and raw. The romance story also sounds plausible. Overall, it opens your eyes to the pain of an individual and the coping mechanisms involved. I hope many people read it and give it a chance like I did.
Kim  Brewing
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow, when I started this I really didn't expect too much from it....was I ever surprised. I loved this book. Jessie was so broken it was unbelievable that no one noticed, but wait, someone did notice...Will did. What an amazing journey. To watch Jessie grow and heal was so uplifting. Great read!
Fleur
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This book can be pretty full on at times, but it is done well and unfortunately real life isn't a box of fluffies so its good to see a book done that reflects what really life can be like. Jessie is one hell of a tortured soul that you just want to wrap up in cotton wool, hug her like no tomorrow and tell her everything will be ok where as the General is a man you love to hate and you totally get why Jessie is so out of control, Will frustrates me as he could be better as he cares for Jessie but ...more
Athena Stephenson
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A raw, gritty, tragic, emotional story! Absolutely heartbreaking and realistic telling of a broken young woman and the disgusting, horrible things she endured. With the help of a kind, decent, wonderful solider, she battles against the emotional scars and begins to heal while embarking on a life changing journey. This was a beautiful yet gut wrenching story!
* I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review *
Pamela
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Eileen
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Got it as a freebie at Amazon and went into it without any expectation. It's a bit hard to say if I liked it or not. The writing and the story-line were okay, engaging, but not that I was blown away by it. It's a story about love, acceptance, abuse, self-hurt, denial, healing and family. Some things didn't feel very realistic to me and a bit over the top. Actual rating: two-and-a-half stars.

Two sisters try to gain the love and respect of their father, a well respected military man in the communi
Melissa Torres
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
***This review has spoilers***
I have a lot of thoughts about this book. Mostly I loved it. The first half was fantastic. I was completely captivated by the crazy, the pain, the hate, the denial. It was very believable and realistic.

But then the whole scene where Lindsay finally understood what was happening came across forced and inauthentic. She went from hating Jessie to believing her in 5 min. That transition could have been much smoother.

I understand the purpose behind the 2 years later thin
Kira
This, like many other books by relatively unknown authors, had a lot of great reviews. My expectations were low because more often than not the phenomenal reviews aren’t reliable. But this completely blew me away! It was stunning, beautiful, heartbreaking and tragic.

People see exactly what they want to see, and that is exactly what happened with Jessie. She acted out to hide her pain, and no one saw through it. All everyone else saw was an idiotic whore. She didn’t have any friends or family to
Alexandra
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
A 4.5*

I really liked this book. As it sometimes happens I do find gems within the free books.
For me it was one of those books that I just couldn't put down, it had me hooked from the very first paragraph.
It's a heartbreaking, horrifying, traumatic story. It deals with some hard subjects - physical and emotional abuse, rape, cutting - difficult to put down on paper and at the same time keep the readers engaged in the story without being put off. But, it's also a story about overcoming all of the
Bodea
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Didn't expect to like this as much as I did. It was pretty good. I really enjoyed the main characters. They really conviced me. Everythign they went through resonated with me and felt really authentic. Jessie was a mess. I really felt for her, wne through the ringer with her. It was really sad to see all of this stuff happening to her and she had no one in her corner. Then, Will comes along and he just kind of doesn't want to get caught up in the hurricane that is Jessie's life. It was inevitabl ...more
Pam Nelson
Jessie & Will

This book broke my heart and mended it back together.
I didn't realize how much this book would take from me. I say this because for me it was very emotional.
Jessie who didn't fit in anywhere because her father is a grade A d - o - u - c - h - e. Not only hurt her but would let his friends have their way with her. So he does the unthinkable and the events that follow or so sad and horrific you can't even imagine.
So to rectify his mistake he hires Will to bring Jessie home. Onl

• Flawed Beauty
  • Damaged But Not Broken (New Adult Rockers, #1)
  • Drowning (Tears of Sin, #1)
  • Bottom Feeder (Bottom Feeder, #1)
  • Bad Romance (New Adult Romance)
  • Tortured Soul (Mercy's Angels, #3)
  • Scarred Love (Sulfur Heights, #1)
  • Gina and Mike (Yearbook, #1)
  • Hunted (Eden, #2)
  • An Eye For Danger
  • Stronger (Runaway, #1)
  • Lies of Omission
  • Hunted
  • In Spades (Mirrored, #1)
  • Vanished (Saved, #2)
  • The Unexpected List (The List Trilogy, #2)
  • Their Second Chance
  • Heat
Get a free book exclusive to Leanne's newsletter subscribers ➜➜ https://buff.ly/2IUHp76.

Leanne Davis writes new adult & contemporary romance. Her books have been listed on numerous Amazon bestseller lists, including the Movers & Shakers list and in Amazon's Top 120 overall books. She is also a #1 Bestselling New Adult author by The Other Sister.

Leanne lives in Western Washington in the ou

Sister (9 books)
  • The Good Sister (Sister, #2)
  • The Best Friend (Sister, #3)
  • The Wrong Sister (Sister, #4)
  • The Years After (Sister, #5)
  • The Broken Sister (Sister, #6)
  • The Perfect Sister (Sister, #7)
  • The Lost Sister (Sister, #8)
  • The Remaining Sister (Sister, #9)
“He really loved her, despite his conflicting thoughts. He even loved her before she became lovable.” 5 likes
“You hardly asked if I was okay the entire time we were together.” (Jessie)

“Okay? You wanted me to ask you if you were okay? Jessie, I saw you! How could I think for one second you were okay? Do you think it’s normal for me to watch a girl being raped from the roof? But I was there, loaded down with enough guns to do some serious damage. And what did I do about it? Nothing. Because I could do nothing, because my sole goal was to get you safely out of there. So I sat and watched it… for hours. I let them do that to you. I heard you. I saw you. And eventually, I had to turn away. I couldn’t watch it. It was that bad. I know why you’re not okay. I don’t have to ask why.” (Will)”
3 likes