Jump to ratings and reviews

Pete the Cat

Pete the Cat: Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star

Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are!

Sing along with Pete the Cat on his groovy adaptation of the classic children's bedtime song "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."

Audiobook

183 books205 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
75 (8%)
1 star
23 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 93 reviews
Profile Image for Abigail.
7,083 reviews174 followers
July 17, 2019
Using the classic English children's lullaby as his text, artist James Dean creates another fun little Pete the Cat book. The bright and colorful illustrations depict that cool cat coming home and getting ready for bed, before drifting off to sleep with the words of the song being incorporated into his dream...

One of a number of these smaller song-based picture-books - Pete the Cat: The Wheels on the Bus , Pete the Cat: Old MacDonald Had a Farm - this title uses the full text of the lullaby, a poem by Englishwoman Jane Taylor that was first published in 1806. Like its predecessors in this vein, Pete the Cat: Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star isn't really a full Pete the Cat adventure, but for fans of that feline, it is a nice introduction to a classic childhood song/poem.
Profile Image for Mama Bibliosoph.
271 reviews13 followers
July 22, 2018
These singalong books in the Pete the Cat series don't rock the boat too much with new twists. But that's the point. They are designed to introduce traditional children's songs.

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (my personal favorite of the bunch) features the full lyrics of the original 19th century poem, not the abbreviated one. The illustrations show Pete coming home from school and going through his nighttime routine with his family. It's a perfect bedtime book that ends in a dreamy, fantastical moment where Pete blasts off on a rocket ship as he drifts off to sleep.

If your child is already a Pete the Cat fan and doesn't yet know these songs, this is a no-brainer. Knowing traditional childhood songs is foundational to learning about and taking part in our culture.

---
I review books for children from the perspective of a parent of kids with autism. The review above is part of a longer post on books about singalong books: https://www.lineupthebooks.com/40-sin...
Profile Image for Stephanie  Weatherly.
337 reviews8 followers
April 10, 2018
Although it is not my favorite Pete the Cat book, my littlest enjoyed singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" along with the book.
Profile Image for Cloud.
402 reviews1 follower
October 22, 2021
This book really caught Baby's interest. This was the first time she actually cared about Pete the Cat, and requested it for a good week to read at night. After about a week tho she kind of fell out of favor with this book, but don't worry, we have since checked out/bought more Pete the Cat books.
Profile Image for Margie.
994 reviews2 followers
July 16, 2014
Pete seems to have lost his catattitude. Though this book is somewhat interesting as it includes all stanzas of the Twinkle, Twinkle nursery song, Pete's take seems to be lackluster. Fans will appreciate another Pete book but otherwise there's nothing fantastic here.
Profile Image for Jessica.
826 reviews
April 26, 2016
Eh, this is not the best in the Pete the Cat world. The pictures don't match up with the text, and it just feels a little boring. Pete the Cat should be groovy, not boring.
Profile Image for Caitlin.
25 reviews
November 26, 2020
Pete the Cat: Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star by James Dean is appropriate for grade level Pre K-2. In the book, James Dean tells the classic Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, but with a twist. Dean includes poetic corresponding words along with end rhymes. This twist about the tiny spark in the sky refers to the star in the sky, where Pete the Cat is wondering what it is. Pete the Cat couldn't find his way unless he has the star through his curtains. I love Pete the Cart books and this is the first time I have read this version from the collection of James Deans books. This book captures the classic as well as engaging children's imagination about what a star really is. I not only love this book because of the illustrations, but because of the poetry added into the book to create a song type rhythm. In class I would have the students write their own story about the star and how the star guides them. It could take place in centers including the dramatic play area. A learning center on Science can also be a great lesson on what a star is!
50 reviews
September 10, 2018
Pete the Cat Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star written by James Dean was a book that I feel an elementary class can relate to. This book mentions the nursery rhyme Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star which a lot of young children may know. However, I do not feel that I would read this story to my students. I really didn't feel like there was a purpose or overall message to this story that I would be able to discuss with my class. This book may be one that students could read during their silent reading time or at home. I chose this book because I have seen many Pete the Cat books in my local library so I thought I would give it a try. I was not really that impressed with this book, however, I will say that it would connect to the students who know the nursery rhyme.
Profile Image for Meg McGregor.
3,913 reviews80 followers
May 17, 2019
The girls were simply mesmerized by Pete's nighttime activities, while I was singing the word,s to the traditional and much loved, Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star!

One or the other kept saying, "I do that!" while Pete was having his dinner, taking his bath, putting on his pajamas, reading books with Mom, and then going to sleep, having fantastic dreams!

I do like, that Mr. Dean included, the original verses! I love learning something new from a "children's book!"

The illustrations were wonderful, eye-catching, and very "Pete the Cat!"

Pete is one GROOVY cat!
23 reviews
Read
May 4, 2020
When you were very little (< 4 weeks old), you had to be in a Pavlik harness for almost three months. Usually you were fine with it. It was much harder for us seeing you in it.

Anyway, one night in September or October, you were not happy when I was putting it on before bed. Mom grabbed this book, and we sung it to you while I put it on. And here we are: A little over 9 months old, and reading/singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star with Pete the Cat is part of the nightly standard bedtime routine.

Love,
Mom & Dad
Profile Image for Laura.
97 reviews
May 4, 2018
We loved Pete and his buttons and shoes, but the subsequent ones lack much of the charm. This, for instance, feels particularly lackluster. Pete is shown getting ready for bed, a star stuck somewhere on each page, with almost the traditional lyrics to Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. Where the words have been changed, it often makes them fit poorly to the music.

For a more whimsical and captivating set of illustrations to this song, I recommend Jerry Pinkney's Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.
Profile Image for Becky B.
7,290 reviews91 followers
September 6, 2018
Pete the Cat goes about his nighttime routine singing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."

I'd never heard many of the words here, but I did a little research and evidently the original song did have five stanzas though most of us only know the first one. Dean has included the entire original here. A nice bedtime book for Pete the Cat fans or those who want to learn ALL the words to "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."
September 30, 2019
Appropriate for grades pre-k-1

This book is a twist on the classic twinkle twinkle little star. Pete talks about all the star does and how it is helpful, but does not know what it is.

Children love Pete the Cat. It a familiar character to them, and they know it is going to be a fun book, so it keeps them engaged.

You can use this book when talking about stars. Ask them what they know about stars and what they think a star is. Can also ask about why stars are helpful.
746 reviews
June 28, 2020
This is one of a newer series of books for young children to enjoy. I especially enjoy the visually bright and lively illustrations. I am a cat person (like all animals) so this is the series I used for storytelling. The particular book is not one of my favorites (there are better titles such as the missing button), but this series can be counted on to feature good messages for kids in an enjoyable fashion.
12 reviews
March 16, 2021
This book is a good one and is great for classrooms! First, many children love Pete the Cat. Second, it discusses a popular nursery rhyme and time change. It helps children understand the concept of day and night while reciting Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. They are able to easily read along since the tune to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star is so well known.
56 reviews
February 8, 2019
Pete the Cat: Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star is a nursery rhyme book that comes from a long line of Pete the Cat books. This Pete the Cat books invites kids to sing along to a very popular nursery rhyme that everyone should know.
Profile Image for Cynda .
1,238 reviews140 followers
October 26, 2020
Pete the Cat so loves the twinkling stars of night that he just talks and talks about stars to the stars, to spelling list and his mom together, at the supper table, on and on. He has discovered stars.
Profile Image for Holli.
577 reviews31 followers
May 24, 2017
You know, I never knew this poem went beyond the first verse. I was pleasantly surprised to learn I was wrong.
Profile Image for Mosley.
1,062 reviews2 followers
July 3, 2017
Seems to me like they are running out of things to write about Pete so they are just doing song with a small twist and they really are not that great.
Profile Image for Molly Smith.
687 reviews11 followers
August 28, 2017
Another cute illustrative song with Pete the Cat. I enjoyed the additional lyrics as well as the pictures. My toddler loves to "sing" along as well. A fun read for parents and toddlers.
Profile Image for Kelly Scott.
27 reviews22 followers
September 16, 2017
Pete the Cat is alway cool. We like the artwork. My 2 year old really likes airplanes right now so he got excited watching Pete fly in the airplane (which is really a rocket ship)
Profile Image for Nicole.
559 reviews1 follower
October 2, 2017
I love pete the cat! I wish he would've switched up the words a bit more , but the illustrations were great! A good board book for the little ones!
Profile Image for Amy.
79 reviews
January 23, 2018
Learned there's more to twinkle, twikle, little star than just 1 verse!
Profile Image for Seth.
Author 1 book12 followers
July 19, 2018
I love Pete the Cat. He's such a good, wholesome, character and I LOVE reading his stories and watching his videos with kids. It's any easy and fun way to connect with them!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 93 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.