Jump to ratings and reviews

17 First Kisses

No matter how many boys Claire kisses, she can’t seem to find a decent boyfriend. Someone who wouldn’t rather date her gorgeous best friend, Megan. Someone who won’t freak out when he learns about the tragedy her family still hasn’t recovered from. Someone whose kisses can carry her away from her backwoods town for one fleeting moment.

Until Claire meets Luke.

But Megan is falling for Luke, too, and if there’s one thing Claire knows for sure, it’s that Megan’s pretty much irresistible.

With true love and best friendship on the line, Claire suddenly has everything to lose. And what she learns—about her crush, her friends, and most of all herself—makes the choices even harder.

In her moving debut, Rachael Allen brilliantly captures the complexities of friendship, the struggles of self-discovery, and the difficulties of trying to find love in high school. Fans of Sarah Ockler, Susane Colasanti, and Stephanie Perkins will fall head over heels for this addictive, heartfelt, and often hilarious modern love story.

352 pages, ebook

First published June 17, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Rachael Allen

6 books265 followers
Quick bio:
RACHAEL ALLEN is a scientist by day and kid lit author by night. She is the winner of the 2019 Georgia Young Adult Author of the Year Award, and her books include Harley Quinn: Reckoning (forthcoming, RHCB ‘22), 17 First Kisses, The Revenge Playbook, The Summer of Impossibilities, and A Taxonomy of Love, which was a Junior Library Guild Selection and was among the 2018 Books All Young Georgians Should Read. Rachael lives in Atlanta, GA with her husband, two children, and two dire wolves. She loves homemade peach ice cream, having adventures all over the world, and stories that make her feel like she’s been poured inside another person.

More stuff about me:
- I love reading and writing YA.

- I'm represented by the fabulous Susan Hawk of Upstart Crow Literary.

- Laurie Halse Anderson once gave me writerly advice on a post-it, and it was the culmination of my being.

- I'm obsessed with football. Playing flag football, watching pro football (Falcons Rise Up!), being a belligerent Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets fan, and playing fantasy football with my family.

- I have held a human brain. (It was during anatomy lab. I'm not, like, a serial killer.)

- I'm such a wuss, I get scared watching the previews for horror movies. Seriously, when a scary commercial comes on, I squeal and frantically jab the fast forward button on our DVR remote.

- I love reading about strong women protagonists, fully imagined worlds, anything STEM, rebellion against the establishment, neurodegenerative diseases, and makeover montages - though probably not all in the same book.

- Some writers I love: Laini Taylor, Raina Telgemeier, Becky Albertalli, Jason Reynolds, Laurie Halse Anderson, Aisha Saeed, Libba Bray, Kara Taylor, Elizabeth Acevedo, Adam Silvera, Nina LaCour, E. Lockhart, Nicola Yoon, Julie Murphy, Sarah Dessen, Stephanie Perkins, I could go on forever.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 stars
401 (10%)
1 star
156 (4%)

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.