Start by marking “Lady Windermere's Lover (The Wild Quartet, #3)” as Want to Read:
Lady Windermere's Lover (The Wild Quartet, #3)

Lady Windermere's Lover

(The Wild Quartet #3)

Hell hath no fury . . .

Damian, Earl of Windermere, rues the day he drunkenly gambled away his family's estate and was forced into marriage to reclaim it. Now, after hiding out from his new bride for a year, Damian is finally called home, only to discover that his modest bride has become an alluring beauty—and rumor has it that she's taken a lover. Damian vows to keep his w
Published June 24th 2014 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Lady Windermere's Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Windermere's Lover

Sammy Loves Books
Hero was a Complete ASS. Hated him!!

description

Heroine was the only positive thing in this story. The ending felt rushed and the mystery of the villain was never solved.
Caz
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B- at AAR, so 3.5 stars.

I knew in advance that the plotline of this book revolved around that least favourite of romance tropes – the Big Misunderstanding. But I also knew that it contained some of my favourite plot devices: A marriage made in less than auspicious circumstances, a hero who is in desperate need of a wake-up call, and a second chance for the hero and heroine to make something of their situation, so I decided to accept the Big Mis and see how things turned out.

Da

Romance Rating ~ 3.5 Stars
Heat Level ~ 2.75 Stars
Ending ~ 2 Stars
Overall Rating ~ 3 Stars

This book started out really good but then in certain spots I became somewhat bored. I was invested enough to keep reading and the story did pick up nicely after that.

The heroine Cynthia was my favorite character from this read. I thought she was a well done character and I became emotional reading
Shauni
Originally reviewed for Bodice Rippers, Femme Fatales and Fantasy.

Lady Windermere's Lover is book Three in Miranda Neville's The Wild Quartet Series and my first. A love story that started as an arrangement and turned into a love of the ages.

Lady Cynthia was a bartered bride. Sure that's not what everyone called it but she was married because her husband had gambled away the family farm and he needed money to get it back. She is a sweet dutiful girl and was willing to do as she was told. Of cour
Lover of Romance
Originally Posted On Addicted To Romance

Damian, in his early twenties, while drunk on his birthday with his friends, gambles a important piece of property, a property that was special to his mother. So he marries Lady Cynthia in order to get that land back. Damian works for the foreign office for seven years. After a year of marriage, he returns for a mission and at the same time get his wife back. Cynthia even though married, hasn't seen her husband in quite some time, and doesn't seem any harm
Miki
Jan 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-read-again
What a pitiful way to start a new year's reading. Sigh. A very silly book about very silly people. As evidence, may I offer this quote:
" In a hidden place of my heart, that spark of love remained."
"It's a miracle it wasn't crushed by my indifference. "
"A rescued kitten, a whiff of bhang, many small kindnesses, and the ability to send me to heaven with a look and a touch. Each of these fanned that little spark into a flame."

Nothing says "I love you" like small livestock and weed.

One good thing.
Codi Gary
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Damian and Cynthia. From the moment Damian arrives back in town, the chemistry between these two characters flew off the pages and drew me in, calling for me to finish the book. I willingly admit that I finished it in a day, between hours of editing and I am so glad I took the time for it. My favorite scene was Cynthia and Damian visiting her house for women and children, and watching as Damian really started to see Cynthia for who she was. Definitely a book to be read again.
Lucy Qhuay
I didn't remember but I have actually read the first book in this quartet.

Judging by that fact, the fact I don't remember anything about it and the short review I wrote, I can say with certainty I didn't enjoy it very much.

'Lady Windermere's Lover' was actually enoyable enough and easy to read, even though the excessive and, may I say, unnecessary drama made it frustrating at times.

Also, that ending sucked. I did not like there were a lot of unfinished business, mainly between Damian and Julian,
SidneyKay
Aug 26, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-regency
Jen Davis
Mar 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I had some issues with this book. OK, one issue primarily. I didn't like the hero. That's a pretty big obstacle to overcome. In fact, I found myself rooting for "the other guy" to win the heroine. This, even though she was already married and I hate adultery storylines. I didn't dislike the entire book, but I just couldn't get excited about the romance.

Damien, the Earl of Windermere, only married Cynthia because of a bad game of cards. He got drunk on his 21st birthday and lost his mother's ance
Connie Fischer
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
London 1793. Damian, Viscount Kendal, is celebrating is 21st birthday with several of his friends. Against his better judgement, he drinks way too much and gambles heavily. When goaded by his friend, Julian Fortesque, the Duke of Denford, he gambles and loses his estate, Beaulieu. He was sure he could win it back, but that was not the case. The estate was left to him by his beloved and deceased mother. In his shame and at the suggestion of his father, the Fourth Earl of Windermere, he decides to ...more
Nicole
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neville spins a great tale but doesn't quite stick the landing. This book is the third book in a four-book series and it feels that way. If I had read it as a stand-alone I would be giving it three stars and verging on a 2.5. The ending is rushed and leaves a number of threads loose, much more so than the first two novels did. These plot threads deal with the HEA couple and several of them feel like they should have been tied off in this novel rather than left to continue to the next one.

Things
Farrah
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
A lovely and sweet historical romance, Lady Windermere's Lover was a wonderful read. I really liked this sweet book and I really enjoyed reading it.

Cynthia was a great heroine. I really liked how she gained strength and decided she wasn't going to take less then what she deserved from her husband. She might have bowed to his whims at the start of their marriage, but she wasn't going to do that anymore. And, she was a genuinely kind and likable character. I thought she was lovely.

Damian was also
Save Your Money For Books
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Take two people each brought together in a reluctant union, then an absent husband, misunderstandings, deceit, an amorous suitor and a little wanton lust and you have what is the beautiful concoction that is Lady Windermere's Lover by Miranda Neville.

After a year apart the reunion of Lord Damian and Lady Cynthia, makes for an intriguing tale. Damian is surprised at the changes he sees in his Cynthia. Gone is the mousy country girl and in her place is a beautiful elegant lady. Damian decides it
Kelly
Jan 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The better version of this book is Eloisa James's This Duchess of Mine. Exact same idea -- rushed arranged marriage, husband leaves the country to go do whatever absent husbands do, bored wife goes to London and gets her scandal on, husband comes home for reproductive purposes, and then together they have to figure out if they like each other, if the rumors are true, whether their marriage is real, and if any of that matters.

Lady Windermere's Lover was not as nearly as fun. In truth, I didn't li
Valerie
Sep 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate when authors use another language incorrectly. I don't know how it can even pass the editing stage - surely someone can translate from English to French and write it properly? Couldn't they freaking pay someone to make sure the sentences make sense and are properly written? Meh. Big pet peeve of mine.

The book is okay enough at first but then it becomes painfully boring. I read Lithgows story and the idea I got of Cynthia in the other book was far from how she is portrayed in this one.
Victoria
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I couldn't put this book down, hence the reason it took me a day to read! I loved the discovery of the main characters of each other. This was a sweet love story; oh and steamy sexy too!
Elaine
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
Nice enjoyable story.
3.5* (rounded up to 4*)
Hannah Givens
This book is not without its problems, which other reviewers have extensively described. For my part, I found it engrossing despite those problems. I loved its clear embrace of consent -- it's consistent throughout the book, but even when Cynthia went to Denford's HOUSE, to HAVE AN AFFAIR, and then decided to change her mind, there were no hard feelings. And when Damian comes back and thinks she did have the affair, there's no "he was so angry he couldn't help it" or anything like that. He's an ...more
Malin
<3.5 stars

On his twenty-first birthday, Damian, Viscount Kendal, drunkenly follows the advice of his friend Robert Townsend and gambles away Beaulieu, the estate he has inherited from his beloved departed mother, then he passes out dead drunk. Unfortunately, Townsend had even more of a drinking and gambling problem than Damian and promptly lost the property to someone else. Damian is forced to return to his father, hanging his head in shame, promising to do whatever it takes to reform and hel
Stephanie
Jan 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was totally frustrated by this book. The premise and start was good enough... Damian, Earl of Windermere, was forced into marriage with Cynthia, a country bumpkin, in order to get back his mother's home, which he lost while gambling. The marriage is, obviously, not a love match and after a few weeks of marriage he leaves the country for work (he's a diplomat). When he returns a year later, he doesn't even recognize his own wife while at the theatre in a different box.

He's home to attempt to g
Mclaudia
Not even the title's call to Oscar Wilde's play quite saves this one.

We are supposed to believe that, back from a diplomatic mission abroad a little over a year after his wedding, Lord Windermere sees his wife with fresh eyes and regrets his harsh behavior towards her in the few weeks they had together before his trip. Theirs was an arranged marriage, and he is resentful... Not with himself, though, since the events that lead to the marriage are entirely his fault, but with Cynthia for being ga
Jane Irish Nelson
A year earlier, Damian, Earl of Windermere, married Cynthia, to regain possession of Beaulieu, the beloved estate he had inherited from his mother, and lost several years before in a drunken wager. He'd never forgiven his friends: Robert, for suggesting the wager; and Justin, for taking him home, instead of keeping Robert from losing it again immediately. Shortly after the wedding, Damian leaves on a diplomatic mission. But now he has returned, and is surprised to find his wife in London, instea ...more
Karen Darling
Aug 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, free
Not my type of romance novel.
Mariel G. Miranda
Too wordy

The plot was not too exciting; descriptions of characters, actions, and events were a bit too wordy. Had to skip some of the paragraphs, too long and unnecessary.
Adria's Musings and Reviews
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on Adria's Romance Reviews

I’ve never read Miranda Neville’s books before so I was excited and more than a little nervous about reading Lady Windermere’s Lover since I’ve been suffering a bit of a HR burnout lately. Plus, it’s the second book in a series and I’m a little OCD about starting a series from anywhere but the beginning. So what did I think of it?

Well, as far as historical romances go, Lady Windermere’s Lover is an exceptional read. It was like finding a small treasure
Diana
Jun 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc

ARC received for an honest review.
This was my first time reading Miranda Neville so I was not sure what to expect. I had some issues with the plot and the story. I found her writing to be engaging and it flowed. There were times that I really enjoyed the book and times I struggled with it. I made my peace with a three star rating.

So when the story begins, our hero, Damian, Earl of Windermere, is out partying with this friends celebrating his twenty-first birthday. In the mist of all this partyin
Gaile
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damian gambled away his inheritance. He blames his best friend, Julian. to get his estate, he marries of a mouse of a girl or so he thinks, joins the foreign and is posted to Persia. Left alone at the deserted estate, Cynthia makes her way where she flirts her way just short of the real thing until one day her husband, all unaware, thinking of his wife still at the country estate checks into a hotel and discovers her in a theater flirting with of all people, Julian!
The next day he moves back to
Jessica
Jun 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, blog-review
Miranda Neville is one of those authors I’ve always wanted to read, but I haven’t had the opportunity to do so until now. So when I had the opportunity to participate in the blog tour for LADY WINDERMERE’S LOVER, I couldn’t pass up the chance!

We have good character development. We first meet Damian when he’s a young man. I really liked getting to see him at this age because we can see how reckless he becomes that night and how sorrowful he is afterwards. It’s really easy to see the man he’ll bec
Elis Madison
At 21, Damian, Earl of Windermere, gambled away his mother's legacy. Some years later, to gain it back, he paid an extortionate price—he had to marry the dowdy, rustic niece of a silk merchant and give up his family name. His children will have her family name. To make things worse, the girl is unsuitable to his ambitions. She stumbles at French, which is the common language used by diplomats. Yes, after the stupid gambling error, he reformed himself by working for the Foreign Office, and he's a ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 02, 2015 10:40AM

• Season for Scandal (Holiday Pleasures, #3)
  • What a Wallflower Wants (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #3)
  • Once a Rake (Drakes Rakes, #4)
  • The Laird (Captive Hearts, #3)
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
  • How To Lose A Lord In 10 Days Or Less (Tricks Of The Ton, #3)
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends, #1)
  • The Captain and the Wallflower
  • Lord St. Claire's Angel
  • The Duke Diaries (Royal Entourage, #3)
  • The Game and the Governess (Winner Takes All, #1)
  • Moonlight On My Mind (Second Sons, #3)
  • At the Duke's Wedding
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • Counting on a Countess (The London Underground, #2)
  • The Whisky Laird's Bed (The Rake Patrol, #2)
  • The Earl's Mistress (MacLachlan Family & Friends, #10)
  • The Unexpected Duchess (Playful Brides, #1)
Miranda Neville grew up in England, loving the books of Georgette Heyer and other Regency romances. She now lives in Vermont with her daughter and an immensely talented cat who made a book trailer for her novel The Importance of Being Wicked. Her historical romances published by Avon include the popular Burgundy Club series, about Regency book collectors, and The Wild Quartet.

"Since Goodreads is

The Wild Quartet (4 books)
  • The Importance of Being Wicked (The Wild Quartet, #1)
  • The Ruin of a Rogue (The Wild Quartet, #2)
  • The Duke of Dark Desires (The Wild Quartet, #4)