Start by marking “Wicked Games (Wicked Games, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wicked Games (Wicked Games, #1)

Wicked Games

(Wicked Games #1)

Tainted love. Sexy secrets. A chilling revenge plot. It's all here in Wicked Games by Sean Olin, the first in a psychologically-charged, suspenseful series set in a picturesque coastal Florida town called Dream Point, where dangerous mind games are played with abandon.

Lilah has spent the last four years by her boyfriend Carter's side, and everyone thinks their relationship
Published June 10th 2014 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wicked Games

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Usually, I'm the one person who hates a book that everyone else has loved. For once, that's not the case. I seem to be the only person who loved this book, and I can't understand why. This book is awesome. And for some reason, the reviews have been like 1-1-1-1-2-1-1 across the board. Huh.

One of my friends who have read this book described it as watching a train wreck. Yep, that's exactly it. It's watching a psychological train wreck as it unfolds, and I love every moment of it.

The main characte
Emily May
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily May by: Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
By the time they crossed the Georgia state line, they’d forgotten all about the green Mazda, but if they’d looked, they would have seen that it was still behind them...

Thank you, Khanh!

Well... holy shit. I nearly passed this one up because of all the negative reviews - just look down the page at all those one stars - but it was Khanh's review that piqued my curiosity. I often find myself being in the minority on books, though it's usually a case where I wasn't feeling the magic from a book e
Faye, la Patata
Also seen on the Not-So-Literary Heiresses blog.
Find me on Twitter! I don't bite

-----

There are two types of trainwrecks.

The first is the kind in which you want to look away because it disturbs you and makes you uncomfortable. The second is the kind in which you know it's going to get flat-out ugly, and yet you can't look away because you want to see how it will end up.

Wicked Games by Sean Olin is of the latter.

Looking at the cover, you'd think this book comprises of steamy romance and erotica ga
Aly Locatelli
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller lovers
Read reviews and more at The Beautiful World of Books!

Don't you understand, Carter? I love you. I love you. Carter, don't you understand? I love you.
She'd make him understand -- and everyone else, too.

At first (30%) I was like

And then (50%) I was like

And at the end I was likeeeee

One thing is sure: there is no wrath like a woman scorned. In hindsight, if you're dating a girl who is 'mentally ill' (more on that later) you really should not do anything to piss her off, especially if you know she
Annika
Dec 05, 2013 marked it as no-thanks
"When smart, sexy Jules enters the picture at a senior-year bash, Carter succumbs to temptation. And when Lilah catches wind of his betrayal, she decides that Jules needs to pay."

Really now? REALLY? How about you take revenge on the guy who frigging cheated on you? Ugh.
Giselle
An Electronic Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss for review.

Cheating, slut shaming, bullying, stalking, threats of distributing photos online.. You want every single conniving way to hurt someone? This book had it. I couldn't really believe anyone would be this cruel or sadistic. I just could not like ANY of these characters. Not one gave me anything to like about. These characters don't care about any one and I pretty much deemed all of them to be terrible people.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Jesus. All this needed was a rabbit in a boiling pot and you have a hit movie. Nope. Too predictable.
Megan
Dec 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
I read Sean Olin's WICKED GAMES roughly 6 months ago, drawn in immediately by its cover and promise when I received an ARC for review. At that time, I didn't know it would be a series (how and why, I do not know) but I did see that it sounded interesting enough. Diving into the book, it even started interesting enough, until the point where it became one of the worst offending books I have ever read when it comes to demonizing those that suffer from mental illness.

The story follows a teen couple
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
2.5 Stars

Let me start by saying that the synopsis for this one really doesn't prepare you for this book. It is very mild compared to what you actually get, which is one girl who is severely disturbed and needs help. One girl who plans on taking revenge to all the people (or one very specific person) she feels has wronged her and doing it by any means imaginable.

I normally love third person layouts in books but once in a great while I will come across one that just doesn't work and sadly, this on
Diana Ouma
Wicked games is on another level of messed up. It was really disconcerting to live through the thoughts of a mentally unstable person. Sometimes I had to stop reading just the breathe. The reason Wicked Games isn't five stars is because it's so depressing. I felt a pressure build up in me. I did in a weird way enjoy this novel. But I will definitely not be reading the second. This isn't my cuppa.
Elle
This one is a DNF for me. Once I realized where the novel was going, I saw that it was not for me. I don't like to read stories where mental health issues are used as plot devices. They tend to fail at whatever the author intends and irritates me as a reader. The first chapter was absolutely beautiful and I thought it would prove to set the stage for the remainder of the book. I was wrong and quickly discovered Wicked Games was not the book for me. I'd give it 2 out of 5 stars for effort and the ...more
Nova Zaiden
View more content on my blog: Out of Time

I was initially excited for this book and ended up being heavily disappointed. It sounded like a thrilling read that would keep me captivated throughout the novel. What actually happened was I was rolling my eyes instead. I wasn't bored with the story, but it was definitely something I would never take seriously if read.

Here's another book where the MC has a mental illness used as a plot device. There is no real mention of her having a medical mental illn
Christiana
Maybe you've been wondering about this book! In a word: don't.

I get why this book exists: it's messed up (people like messed up books eg. Gone Girl!) and it's a love story gone very wrong (people like that eg. Othello and "Swimfan"!). However, the execution of this is nothing to write home about. The plot is horrifying (the moral of this book is that everyone needs to stay on their medication), but in a way that goes just a bit too far, especially for all the characters in the book to turn a bli
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
This was written in a bland, boring way, and I just coasted through most of it without really enjoying it. I did like the ending, though.
Dark Faerie Tales
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: In Wicked Games, an engaging, memorable story will have you sitting of the edge of your seat.

Opening Sentence: “Are you sure you’re okay?” asked Carter.

The Review:

Lilah and Carter met as freshman. That first year, their love was strong, and it seemed as if nothing could tear them apart. But cracks are forming that are starting to show. All it takes is one night with Jules and one depressed, jealous girlfriend to make actions spiral out of co
Cheryl
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so this is one book that took me by surprise in how much I really liked it. In fact, I was more than about a third of the way down with this book before I put it down. Stopping reading was not really the choice I wanted to do but I needed to turn out the light and get some sleep. This is the down side of starting a book in bed at night before going to sleep. Sometimes you choose a really good one like Wicked Games and then are having a dilemma...two sleep or not to sleep, that is the questio ...more
Sydney
This was painful.

This book was terrible.
The sad thing is that I'll probably read the next book just because the covers are gorgeous!

I mean: gorgeous!

It really sucks that this book wasn't good because I was really hoping that it would be amazing! It sounds good, the characters sound likeable, the storyline sounds awesome (I was looking for a revenge book after Burn for Burn).
I think the ultimate downfall for this book was the amount of POV's and the author never letting you know who's POV you ar
Naoms
I just can't. Stories about guys who cheat on their obviously mentally unstable girlfriends, because she is mentally unstable are a major pet peeve of mine. Girls, who mess around with guys because the mess between him and his girlfriend is not her problem, is a major pet peeve of mine. Mental illness is a serious thing. It's just not ok for this author to use it as a plot point to excuse a cheating boyfriend or to make the girlfriend do insane things.

I prefer infidelity stories where no one is
Jessica *The Lovely Books*
I hate how mental illness was used in this!! Save your money and precious time and skip this!!! It sounds intriguing but it's not.

This was not a book for me and I don't understand how and why you would even want to take revenge on anyone! They aren't worth it if they cheat.
Hayley
Ugh. Nasty misogynistic Fatal Attraction/Carrie inspired thriller. The worst twist is that this seems to be the first book in a series.
Rose
Jun 24, 2014 marked it as curiosity-dries-the-rose  ·  review of another edition
Trying this one, though I have some reservations about it going in. Call it the curiosity bug (and that's gotten me into trouble more often times than not).
Rebecca
This book was eerily creepy and not as much a romance book as I expected and was more psychological thriller.

There are three main characters, Carter Lilah and Jules. Carter and Lilah have been best friends since Carter moved to town, they quickly became boyfriend and girlfriend. But Lilah has always had a few mental health problems and when Carter starts seeing Jules on dates etc Lilah looses it. Starts bullying Jules and causing issues for Carter.

There are few secondary characters because ther
Crystal
Dec 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I am all for psychological thrillers. I for some reason just love all the craziness and tend to gravitate to these types of books. Unfortunately Wicked Games was a step in the wrong direction for me.

This book was just a mess from the get go. You see in the prologue Lilah and Carters relationship start off sweet and fun, but by the time they are seniors things have changed and Lilah is not the same girl she once was. I wasn't quite sure what to think honestly. Lilah was such a pain and I felt for
Richa
Dec 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, for-review, edelweiss
Originally posted at City of Books

Firstly, I want to say that the synopsis of this book definitely does not prepare you for the craziness in it. I went into Wicked Games thinking it would be a fun and intriguing read about a girl trying to get her boyfriend back by sabotaging the girl he slept with. I thought I would be on Lilah's side. But boy, was I wrong. I couldn't bring myself to like any of the three main characters in this book, and that's mostly the reason I couldn't like the book either
17-year-old Lilah and her boyfriend Carter have been together for 4 years, but since Lilah started suffering from depression and anxiety, things haven’t been right between them.
At a party at a friend’s house, Lilah gets spectacularly drunk, and dives from the top of a 3-story building into the swimming pool. While she goes home, what she doesn’t realise it that Carter meets
Crina (Reading Addict)
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Original post on http://readingadd.blogspot.ro/

When I saw this cover I thought that it was one of that sweet, cute/hot romances, but it wasn't. After I read the synopsis I knew that I wanted to read it, because it sounded intriguing, fast paced, with action and a little bit of crazyness. If you like contemporary, light reads, but also kind of revenge stories, then this is for you.

I read it in a couple of hours and the suspense kept me glued to the pages, because this characters... Lilah, as evil
Gisbelle
This is pretty much one of the most infuriating books I have ever read.

**Some mild spoilers ahead**

Let's get it straight that I didn't like any characters in this book. Lilah, the girlfriend, was super pathetic. She tried to hold on to a jerk who didn't even want her anymore. Who cares they had been together for so long. A cheater is not worth it!

Carter, the boyfriend, was a total douchebag. Whatever he did didn't change the fact that he was cheating bastard. It irritated me that he didn't have
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
The Good: I loved that Wicked Games pulled no punches. Lilah is mentally ill and goes off the deep end in a skincrawling fashion. She takes every scorned woman impulse and just goes with it, consequences be damned. Carter is obviously torn between caring for Lilah and wanting to escape her choke him with her love impulses. Carter makes stupid mistakes while dealing with a mentally unstable person and things escalate in a terrifying fashion. Lilah was scary, like really genuinely scary.

The Bad: S
Nora
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book seriously creeped me out. It was not bad- however, I assumed it was going to be a naughty romance novel (because, yes, I judged the hook by its cover). Boy was I surprised. Lilah was a crazy psycho... that is the only way to put it. Also, what was that quote at the end about carter wanting to kill Jules?

"However, when she smiled at him, he was sure that he wanted to kill her."

What? I thought he was going to propose.. I'm confused! Overall the book was just okay. I won't be reading it
Adeline
I'm actually torn between 2.5 and 3 stars.
This book wasn't bad per say, it was just boring. Truth is it wasn't what I expected at all.
Nothing really happened, the characters were annoying and plain. The writing wasn't really good. It just wasn't what I wanted. I can't even bother writing a better review, because I just don't have anything to say. I wasn't impressed at all.
It could have been so much more, it had the potential to be good but it just felt flat.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Vivian Divine Is Dead
  • Kiss Kill Vanish
  • Exile (Exile, #1)
  • The Things You Kiss Goodbye
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Sleep No More (Charlotte Westing Chronicles, #1)
  • Dark Days
  • Wild
  • (Don't You) Forget About Me
  • The Secrets of Lily Graves
  • Fugitive X (Revolution 19, #2)
  • Don't Touch
  • The Dolls (The Dolls, #1)
  • Meridian (Arclight, #2)
  • Don't Call Me Baby
  • Kiss of Broken Glass
  • Only Everything (True Love, #1)
  • Remember Me (Find Me, #2)
Sean Olin is the author of Killing Britney, a 2005 ALA Quick Pick for Reluctant Young Adult Readers. He lives in New York City.

Wicked Games (2 books)
  • Reckless Hearts (Wicked Games, #2)
“think the mistake I made was in not admitting from the start that I loved you, not her. And I won’t—” His confession came out so casually, more an explanation” 0 likes