Start by marking “The Intern (The Intern, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Intern (The Intern, #1)

The Intern

(The Intern #1)

Josie Browning dreams of having it all.

A stellar academic record, an amazing career in journalism - and for her current crush to realise she actually exists. The only problem? Josie can’t get through twenty-four hours without embarrassing her sister Kat or her best friend Angel, let alone herself.

Josie’s luck changes though when she lands an internship at the glossy fashi
Published February 1st 2014 by Harper Collins AU (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Intern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Intern

Melanie
Just a few thoughts: Josie's voice was incredibly quirky and fun. However, I feel that the plot side of things could have had some more work because I didn't feel like THAT much was going on. But in general, a cute and light read!
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Check out Happy Indulgence Books for more reviews!

For a refreshing, hilarious take on the glamourous life of magazine publishing, The Intern is fun, fresh and filled with laughs as Josie starts her internship at Sash. All she wants is to complete her internship and sail into the career of her dreams, but instead, she finds a test of her life and wits, as she encounters a rollercoaster of challenges and drama.

Reading about the magazine life at Sash was so much fun! From endless beauty products,
Tien
Aaaah… you know that feeling… that wonderful, warm, cuddly feeling at the end of the novel when you found a big silly smile on your face? Yeah, that’s the one! That’s what The Intern has left me with and I can’t seem to get rid of it.

The story kicks off by talking about boobs and… exposing yourself (accidentally, of course!). What a great start and totally funny. I like the name Josie Browning; it's just so down to earth and unassuming and that’s just what Josie is. She’s charmingly clumsy, lova
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loveozya
The Intern is simply fabulous and Josie is one of the most realistic and charismatic characters I've ever had the pleasure of reading. She's the shy girl, intelligent but lacks life experience which will endear her to readers.
My life was an ongoing series of humiliating incidents wrapped in a box of shame and tied with a bow of awkwardness.
She's passionate about Journalism, so when her course placement sees her at Sash magazine, Josie is under no illusio
Jaz
Firstly, thanks to HarperCollins Australia for this review copy.

Review originally posted at Fiction in Fiction in Fiction

Simply put, if you love The Devil Wears Prada (the movie that is, I haven’t read the book) then you’ll love The Intern. I could draw so many parallels while reading The Intern, but despite the similarities, I could still enjoy The Intern as its own work of art.

University student Josie Browning dreams of being a newspaper journalist but instead gets landed working at high prof
Calzean
Whilst still at Uni Josie Browning has to attend an internship - a one day a week assignment which in her case is at a glossy mag aimed at the teens. She wants to be a serious journalist so sees no real link to her career goals and only sees plenty of stress as she is not one of the reader's target audience.
But by day two she has interviewed a current boy band hunk, seen her article go viral and suddenly her writing is in demand.
This is a fun, light read. A real YA where Josie turns 18, experien
oliviasbooks
So far, eighteen wasn't feeling too different from seventeen: my clothes were a little more stained, boy dramas were a little more complicated and my mind was just that little bit fuzzier.
At present - right after reading - I grant Gabrielle Tozer's "The Intern" four stars although the heroine, journalism student and magazine intern Josie Browning, had a painful chunk of growing up to do (in the beginning she is insecure, depends on the advice and decisions of her unpredictability moody, bossy y
Jasprit
DNF

The Intern was a book which I found myself eager to read after reading the blurb (it reminded me a lot of The Devil wears Prada, a book I enjoyed and loved the setting of) and seeing it pop up a lot of Aussie YA reader’s blogs. I was also in the mood for something light and fun and the fun aspect was totally there, I liked how Josie and the other two interns had to compete at the well known Sash magazine, especially as there was a cash prize up for grabs too. I was all behind Josie from the b
Rebecca
Josie is a hardworking 17 year old. With dreams of becoming a world renowned newspaper journalist, she has worked hard in school and university to reach her dreams. But when she is allocated an internship to Sash, a fashion magazine, instead of at a newspaper, she is understandable lost.

Floundering through her first days, she makes the best out of an odd situation. Making friends and enemies, she strives to achieve the best grade she can - and possibly even win the coveted cool $5k that the bes
Rachael
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You know when you get the perfect book at the perfect time? This was The Intern for me. I was in a real slump, feeling low, pms, total crash in my creative confidence, sad sack, retreat and curl up and feel sorry for myself mode. What a soothing balm for a sorry soul was our Josie Browning. I loved getting swept up in her heartfelt and hilarious mis/adventures. I also loved the peek into behind the scenes at fancy magazines. I could totally imagine this as a television series or rom/com movie wi ...more
Mary H
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Didn't love it. Josie, yes, is a teen, but her personality was off-putting. I am so tired of the super clumsy thing, and she was woefully oblivious on several occasions. I thought some parts were fun, but the story was honestly pretty trite. So many of the characters were seemingly flat (clumsy and weirdly attractive mc; pretty girl who is mean for no reason; beautiful and free spirit new bestie; jealous old bestie; hot guy with bitchy and jealous girlfriend; calm adult figure; disconnected pare ...more
Larissa
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See this review also at YA Midnight Reads:

I was so happy to be able to get a ARC of this, as it’s already released in Australia and I’ve heard great things. I also love the Devil Wears Prada a whole bunch, so the comparison in the summary had me intrigued. I think this is one of the few circumstances where the comparison does this book justice. I was overjoyed to find myself whipping through the pages of The Intern. I would certainly put it in a compulsive reading category.

The thing I enjoyed t
Karina
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
Cute and hilarious!! It has a Confessions of a Shopaholic vibe without the super annoying protagonist.
Eugenia (Genie In A Book)
*This review also appears on the blog Chasm of Books*

You can check out my Author Interview with Gabrielle Tozer on the blog too!

Thank you to HarperCollins Australia for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

You can usually tell a book is good if you were so addicted that you finished it in one day. This is exactly what happened with me when I read The Intern. I loved the witty writing style with some great fun moments and the insight the novel offered into what it migh
Sam
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cbca
This book was loads of fun! It kind of reminded me of one of my favourite movies "Suddenly 30", but only because the story is mainly based at a fashion magazine HQ. I could imagine this as a rom-com movie that I could watch over and over again.

I really liked the easy flow of the writing. I was sucked straight into the story from the opening sentence, which is hilarious!

'Melons. The girls. Gazongas. I could rattle off every nickname in the world for my boobs - oops, nearly forgot jubblies - but
Natalie
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Devil Wears Prada-esq books
3.5 STARS

REVIEW TO FOLLOW
Joy
Rating: 2.5 out of 5

The Intern follows Josie Browning, a 17-about-to-turn-18 year old who has just landed herself an internship at the coveted fashion magazine, Sash. She’s depicted as a clumsy girl that cannot seem to go a day without embarrassing herself and everyone around her with her supposedly crazy antics that’s isolated her and her best friend Angel from the rest of their grade. Currently in her first year of university, her lecturer has managed to land her a once in a lifetime opportuni
Cassandra Page
The Intern was an enjoyable book by an Aussie writer who you can tell has worked in the fashion magazine industry before -- she had all those little details right. Or at least she was able to fake it. I can't exactly claim to be an expert, as I don't actually read them.

I think it was my lack of interest in fashion and gossip magazines that meant I found the story a little hard to get into at first. But then Josie won me over, with her wonderful, quirky personality. She was nerdy, naive and clums
Emily Mead
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I adore this book. The main character, Josie, is relatable right from the start – her little sister is helping her pick an outfit for the start of an internship the next day, which reminds me of me and MY sister. Josie is awkward and funny and completely clueless about clothes, which just made me love her more. And her mum is just as hilarious. You catch glimpses of her in quotes like this:

Walking out of the toilet cubicle was more embarrassing than the time Mum made Kat and me wear Stackhat bi
Shanti
2017: I reread this because...I don't know why I reread this. I needed it, I guess. It was quick, and it was funny. But it wasn't more than that. A couple of notes:
-the writing simply isn't very sophisticated. that's okay, but it maybe could be polished some more? It's simply adequate.
-the details, e.g. washing bikini's seemed really realistic. You can tell that Tozer has a grounding in real magazine journalism.
-Josie is an endearing heroine. She's also totally naive.
-The Billy debacle and th
Sunny A
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars to The Intern by Gabrielle Tozer. It was such a awesome read and before I knew it I was turning the pages like lighting. It was so fun and heart-warming. It was like a breath of fresh air and I enjoyed every moment of it. There were so many times I wanted to hug Josie and I loved that she was so relatable and down to earth. She stayed true to herself and always tried to do what was best. I loved the characters in this book, from James (such a sweetheart) to Tim and Steph. I was really ...more
Starseeker
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it
This was such a fun read.
The Intern is one of those books that makes you laugh out loud and cringe with embarrassment because you've experienced the same awkwardness the characters have.
It was full of scandal, drama, romance and the author delivered these elements with hilarity and awesomeness.
The main character was so relatable and the things that happened to her were so funny and unbelievable.
Sure, some of the things in the novel were a bit too unbelievable but honestly, that's what made it s
Jess
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book had an interesting and exciting insight to the world of journalism and 'real' city life. I loved every part, especially James and Josie <3 The quick pass over serious issues is also great and inspiring. I hope to one day go where Josie has been (only in the good parts, like James *wink wink*)
Kyra Davies
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this 😍
Chent Higson
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute and fun and basically exactly what I felt like reading. I'm a sucker for things about unfashionable people being thrown unceremoniously into the fashion world
Kat
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA NA and those who want a light hearted coming of age story
**I received a copy of this book from the publisher, HarperCollins Australia in exchange for an honest review**
4.5 Stars

I enjoyed this YA novel, I have read a devil wears Prada, and the book is in a similar vein but its got a much younger feel about it, the main character also reminded me of Josie Geller from 'Never been Kissed' not only having the same first name, but also their similar characteristics, Nerd, no style but underneath the makings of a confident beautiful young woman.

The story st
Readingee
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Francoise
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*I received this for review from Harper Collins AU, in no way does this effect my review*

Review - No Spoilers

To be honest I didn't think I would enjoy this novel as much as I did. I didn't think much when I requested it and I grew wary thinking that it would be yet another review book collecting dust on my bookshelf. But I delved into it straight away and I was hooked from line one! And can I just say, how gorgeous is the cover? It's so different from everything else and it is certainly an eye c
Terri
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Review also found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher HarperCollins via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. The publication date is October 14th 2014.

This was a really entertaining read targeted to the YA audience. I found myself really enjoying it as I read through it and I am not sure if I will be able to express it in my thoughts here.

This was a really cute story about a girl who was trying to find her way in life. A
Terri (Le Book Chronicles)
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young girls interested in Journalism
Recommended to Terri (Le Book Chronicles) by: Someone on instagram
So I have a bit of a rant about this book: The Intern by Gabrielle Tozer is pretty much the Young Adult version of The Devil Wears Prada, and is set in Australia rather than America.

Josie, is a really relatable character, however she is so naive at times and it really bothered me. Certain things that, I think, she should have picked up on she was so clueless and I just wanted to throw something!

Another thing that bothered me about this book was that there was a lot of focus on body image and lov

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The First Third
  • Untidy Towns
  • The Minnow
  • A Small Madness
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • Frankie
  • Head of the River
  • Nona & Me
Gabrielle Tozer is the award-winning and internationally published author of young adult novels The Intern, Faking It and Remind Me How This Ends. She is a contributor to HarperCollins’ Begin, End, Begin: A #LoveOzYA Anthology, and her debut picture book, Peas and Quiet (illustrated by Sue deGennaro), is out now. Gabrielle's first middle-grade novel Melody Trumpet hits stores in 2019. Based in Syd ...more

The Intern (2 books)
  • Faking It (The Intern, #2)
“One troll called me ‘Slutty the bush skankaroo’.” 2 likes
“Melons. The girls. Gazongas. I could rattle off every nickname in the world for my boobs – oops nearly forgot jubblies – but it didn’t change the fact they were small.” 1 likes