Start by marking “Beyond Training: Mastering Endurance, Health Life” as Want to Read:
Beyond Training: Mastering Endurance, Health  Life

Beyond Training: Mastering Endurance, Health Life

Whether you're an extreme exercise enthusiast or you're just looking to sheda few pounds, this is the last book on training, endurance, health, andlife you will ever need.

In this book you will learn:

• The 2 best ways to build fitness fast without destroying your body
• Underground training tactics for maximizing workout efficiency
• The best biohacks for enhancing mental
Published April 15th 2014 by Victory Belt Publishing (first published March 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Training, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Training

Start your review of Beyond Training: Mastering Endurance, Health Life
Alfheidur
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Pseudoscience infomercial. Overwhelming and repetitive. This book is essentially a compilation of blog posts: endless lists of the 25 ways to achieve the greatest XYZ with constant references to the author's podcasts and website. There are occasional nuggets of good information (hence two stars), but mostly it's an overload of product plugs - supplements and gadgets for sale on the author's website and recommendations to buy shoes that ground you to the earth's magnetic field (say what?).
Cody
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Quantity over quality. Another reviewer mentioned 'infomercial' and 'pseudoscience' and I have to agree. There are a few decent pieces of information but nothing noteworthy. On the other hand the author just sells the crap out of supplements, vitamins and gadgets, which of course can be found through links on his site. Seriously, follow a few of his supplement protocols and see how much money you have left at the end of the month, it's just ridiculous. On one hand the 'Ancestral Athlete' ...more
Ritch V
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm always looking for new angles and approaches to improving endurance/ race performance. I wasn't very impressed with this one, too much advertising and focus on supplements. Check out the triathlon training guides by Joe Friel instead for practical planning and no supplement shilling.
Mindi Rosser
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Biohacking Tome for the Performance Athlete

My latest obsession has been all things biohacking. When Ben Greenfield announced his latest book, Beyond Training, I was over-the-top excited. I have been listening to his podcast since 2009. As a marketer myself, it’s been fun to watch him grow his brand over the past few years.

Beyond Training was no disappointment. I am no endurance athlete--which the book is geared towards--though I would consider myself a non-competitive female bodybuilder.
Jodie
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Some good nuggets mixed with a whole lot of natural extremism. Don't buy the book if you're looking for a book on how to train smarter, this is much wider than that.
Tom Jorgenson
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Near the end of this book, the author has a small section about how jealous he is of his wife, because she basically ignores every piece of 'advice' that he gives in the book, and just eats a balanced diet when she is hungry, goes for a run outside when she needs to get out, and sleeps when she gets tired. It's not complicated. But he somehow manages to turn this into a 467 page behemoth that took me about a year and a half to work through. Some of it is legitimately useful training and recovery ...more
Justin
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
This was an enjoyable read. There was nothing in it that was glaringly wrong and there were some new and interesting ideas.

That being said, this book was, as somewhat indirectly stated in the cover, geared heavily towards endurance athletes. I guess I was hoping to get a more general education out of it as this was Ben's most accessible book. There was some of that, but as someone whose health and mindset rule out any endurance training any time soon this book wasn't particularly useful for me
Jessica (booneybear)
Wow! Holy mind overload. This book is just packed full of information about how to live "clean". The book is geared more toward super athletes than the average joe who runs roughly 3-4 miles per day (like me). And while the author is a bit on the "extreme" side of the coin, it is a great book to get resources and research to incorporate into your own lifestyle.
Jason Dunn
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fantastic on depth of health and training information, particularly for those focused on optimizing human performance potential. Bit of a tough read, however, due to that depth. Many sections will probably provide more detail than you are seeking.
Stal Holst
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Disappointed. This was a total supplements/mickey mouse/gimmicky sales pitch.
Meg
Aug 02, 2019 marked it as abandonned
Thomas Cavano
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer here: This is a book directed at triathlon and marathon athletes. I am neither. But I found the book fascinating, and have recommended it to several people who agree with my assessment.

Disclaimer II - I did not READ the book but listened to it as an audiobook. THe author voices it himself, and some of is personality comes through. At times it seems relentlessly self-promoting, mostly because when he cites his sources many of them are on his own websites or podcasts. So he gets to say
Jack Oughton
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is some seriously cutting edge stuff. I'd strongly recommend Ben to anyone with an interest in improving the workings of 'the human machine' - whether that's in your exercise output or just functioning as a more healthy person.

Yes, some of it seems somewhat paranoid/borderline OCD, but hey, I don't think I could follow all of his recommendations even if I tried! Still, I'm going to read this at least 3 times, back to back.
Simon deVeer
Pseudo science for pseudo healthy bio hackers. Nutritionism at it's finest. This book articulates this commonly held ideology. This is what happens when dogmatic people try to write about science. There's a bunch of product recs that fortunately Ben has a discount code for if you're still interested.
Jennifer Dawkins
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Best training book I've ever read. I will reread again so I can look more stuff up. Ben Greenfield is second to none !
RJ Kayser
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Here's how I think you should approach Beyond Training instead of making the mistake I did by sitting on this book for so long: go listen to a few podcasts with Ben Greenfield, either on his own podcast or as a guest on a show like Joe Rogan. He's a quirky guy and you may not like him enough to want to buy his book. I know people who think he talks too arrogantly. I found that I came to like his writing style even more than his audio persona.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by this
Ling Chung
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good primer. Wide ranging topics. It's a lot of science, research, and technical information all at once - therefore it'd be hard for a person to retain everything. However, once you've gone through the book once, you'd have a sense of the plethora of topics it covers. When you have a health, wellness or fitness problem to crack, you can always turn to this book again.

60% of what's covered in the book is not relevant to me right now. But as I fine-tune my training and diet, some of what weren't
Tori Perez
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I found this book very useful and applicable to sports training programs and recovery, especially if you’re interested in endurance training.
As someone with a degree in Biology, this book fed my my soul. Greenfield does the research for you (usually based on widely accepted scientific journals), then summarizes his findings. A good portion of his practices are based on anecdotal evidence but he is up front about that. What’s more, he includes a litany of sources for a nerd like myself to check
teohjitkhiam
One third into the book, I decided that it was aimed solely at professional triathletes & decided to put to rest the misery of slogging through the rest. Quite a bit of the tools & techniques discussed herein, especially in the chapter on physical fitness, are what could be best described as "bleeding edge". Amateur athletes or typical FIs & PTs may find some practical pointers or tips here & there, but won't be missing much. To be sure, as I'm only qualified as an FI, my two ...more
Alex Adkins
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Reading this as I get my masters in exercise physiology led me to find that this is a very interesting book in the sense that Greenfield dives into more physiology and specific biomarkers, enzymes, and regulators than most other books in the genre. This book is spot on until the nutrition section in which Greenfield absurdly misinterprets research going as far to say that a diet with essentially more than just half of g of BW/lb is deleterious to health. Greenfield then goes much into the ...more
Jonny B
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I understand where some of the reviewers are coming from. Ben does advertise a lot, and some of his stuff can sound a little woo. But as someone who listens to his podcast, I fully vouch for his intellectual integrity as, if you follow him and read his show notes, he backs up pretty much everything he says with a mountain of published scientific literature. The book is great for those new to fitness. His podcast, assuming you take notes and follow up on sources provided, will take your knowledge ...more
Eric
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is written for hardcore, dedicated athletes. Regardless, it had valuable information for the casual health nut. The writing format was quite dumbed down and infomercial-like, but these books almost always are. We can thank the publishing houses for that.

Overall, very impressed with the author’s integrity. The rebuttals against mainstream and blog-driven advice were excellent for equipment oneself with the knowledge needed to adapt one’s habits to a healthier standard.
M Pereira
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm fondly reminded of the late 2000s when I used to listen to the QDT podcast of very short episodes. How it was an innocent time of the internet.

I love Ben Greenfield's work. Ben not only is an athlete, but has the physiology know how to back up his advice. This book is easier to read than taking the advice. All the same, its a good start for you lazy bros
beingCristina
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: well-being
The complete book on fitness and well-being as Ben didn't just give tons of information. He provides all the scientific studies along with his very own practice as a top biohacker and top performer himself. This is also a very good source of information for non-athletes who's interested in fitness in general.
Joe Moya
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Complete, Simple and Practicle

One of the better books about fitness and health. It takes a practical approach with ample references and details. Highly recommend in spite of some occasional weak spots. I hope he keeps this book updated in the future...some information is dated but still a good reference book that touches on many aspects of health and fitness.
Pascal Wagner
Jan 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Compared to most books I’ve read (even in the health and training space), I didn’t find this an easy read and was pretty technical.

I’m putting effort into learning how to train my body and unfortunately this isn’t the book on how to do that.

Maybe if you’re looking to become a top line triathlete this would be great.
Mark Koester
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Guide to Improved Performance, Recovery, Biohacking and much more. Ben Greenfield shares his exploration into endurance training, recovery, nutrition, productivity and life.
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
The back page and the chapter headings made it seem like the book would be to the point and easy to read, but it wasn't at least not for me. However, it is a good book to browse for ideas.
Zach Heard
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Your life will be hacked if you take the advice given here from Ben Greenfield.
Brandon Larkin
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Game changer for anyone who is into fitness. From weekend warriors to professionals Ben greenfield is a leading mind in health, fitness, and longevity.
« previous 1 3 next »
Only for the elite? 1 6 Jan 29, 2015 02:47PM

• Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance
  • Lifespan: Why We Age—and Why We Don't Have To
  • The Oxygen Advantage: The Simple, Scientifically Proven Breathing Techniques for a Healthier, Slimmer, Faster, and Fitter You
  • Head Strong: The Bulletproof Plan to Boost Brainpower, Increase Focus, and Maximize Performance-in Just Two Weeks
  • Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever
  • Kettlebell - Simple & Sinister
  • Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body
  • The Psychedelic Explorer's Guide: Safe, Therapeutic, and Sacred Journeys
  • Fat for Fuel: A Revolutionary Diet to Combat Cancer, Boost Brain Power, and Increase Your Energy
  • Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life
  • Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
  • Healthy Gut, Healthy You: The Personalized Plan to Transform Your Health from the Inside Out
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food
  • Own the Day, Own Your Life: Optimised practices for waking, working, learning, eating, training, playing, sleeping and sex
  • Primal Endurance: Revolutionize Your Training Approach to Drop Excess Body Fat, Manage Stress, Preserve Health, and Go a Lot Faster!
  • Game Changers: What Leaders, Innovators, and Mavericks Do to Win at Life
  • The Bulletproof Diet: Lose up to a Pound a Day, Reclaim Energy and Focus, Upgrade Your Life
Ben Greenfield spent most of his childhood years with his nose in a book. President of the chess club, violin player, and a complete nerd in school, he especially loved writing fantasy fiction.

After graduating high school at fifteen and university at the age of twenty, Ben’s life took a turn as he delved into another passion: fitness. He was soon named as America’s top personal trainer, one of the
“In a nutshell: Stress is stress - no matter whether it's from exercise or from lifestyle - and the more stress you're placing on yourself from your lifestyle, the less stress you'll be able to place on yourself from exercise.” 2 likes
“Don’t drink coffee or caffeinated drinks before your nap.” 0 likes