Start by marking “Brainless: The Lies and Lunacy of Ann Coulter” as Want to Read:
Brainless: The Lies and Lunacy of Ann Coulter

Brainless: The Lies and Lunacy of Ann Coulter

2.75  ·  Rating details ·  99 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
She is an uncompromising apologist for the right and a hater of all things left. Is there anything she won't do or say to further her agenda? The answer is no.

Brainless: The Lies and Lunacy of Ann Coulter is an unbridled look at a woman who twists the truth, misleads, plays loose with facts and allusions, and has been accused of plagiarism in hammering home her logic-defyi
Published October 10th 2006 by William Morrow (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Brainless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brainless

Robert Beveridge
Joe Maguire, Brainless: The Lies and Lunacy of Ann Coulter (Morrow, 2006)

I set out to read both Ann Coulter's Godless: The Church of Liberalism and Joe Maguire's Brainless: The Lies and Lunacy of Ann Coulter concurrently, expecting, not to put too fine a point on it, that I'd hate Godless and love Brainless. As it turns out, I was quite wrong; I hated both of them. It never occurred to me that Maguire would, in trying to attack Coulter, stoop to her level.

And stoop he does, even though he doesn'
sologdin
Jun 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
It's not like I disagree, but the commentary is a bit shallow at time and mean-spirited, perhaps, at others. I would like to see a thorough & rigorous refutation of these type of teabagger blowhards, something that strikes at the theoretical center of their arguments but also refutes their particular selection of fabricated factual allegations, also. I guess I'll need to write that myself, maybe--but as with Ayn Rand's writings, it takes two pages of counterwriting in rebuttal for each page ...more
Mike
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
This book gives you a thorough expose of the complete train wreck that is Ann Coulter. None of what is exposed is surprising, but there is a great deal of humor in the complete hypocrisy of everything that comes out of her mouth. It makes you wonder if she is laughing all of the way to the bank when she cashes in her book royalties. It's really unfathomable that there are really people out here who take her seriously. If you ever have a discussion with a conservative that is a fan of Coulter, I ...more
Angel
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who want to refute Anne Coulter
I read enough of this book to last me a while. The book is basically a refutation of Anne Coulter's works up to Godless. Anne Coulter is already hard enough to read; not because she is difficult, but because she is so vicious (from rudeness to personal attacks) and full of lies that one has to exercise restraint not to throw her books against a wall if one has half a brain and knows how to use it. What Maguire does is look at what Anne has written on various topics and then refute it with the ac ...more
Cynical
Aug 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty good accounting of the ways in which Ann Coulter damages American cultural discourse. Sometimes Maguire settles for a joke when a bit more insight would have been more helpful to his case, but this isn't a full-on rhetorical analysis, so that's not necessarily a problem.

Maguire's assessment of Coulter's misuse of logic is good, but Maguire's own logical constructions aren't always sharp. Still, this is interesting, entertaining, and significant.

Now, who's going to write that ful
Scott Holstad
Oct 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I got a little more than halfway through and couldn't finish. It's not that it's a BAD book. It's just like shooting fish in a barrel. It's too easy! Every time she opens her mouth, it's either lies or hypocrisy or bigotry. This guy covers a lot of it, but really, do we need a book on it? Just watch or listen to her and listen for the untruths. They're there. I just didn't need to finish this book.
Mick
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saying I "really liked it" in regards to a book like this is kinda stretching the truth, because in reality this book infuriated me. But every once in a while I like to rekindle the fires inside, and remind myself why i believe the things I do. Maguire locks in like a laser on that braying ass known as Ann Coulter, and points out so many fallacies in her works that they're almost too numerous to count. Hate is a strong word, but I think it applies in her case.
Lindsay L
Oct 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Brilliant! Author Joe Maguire examines the writing and TV appearances of conservative hate-mongerer Anne Coulter and dismantles her arguments one by one. For anyone who is tired of Coulter's inane and insane commentary about liberals, Jews, blacks, the 9/11 widows and those who believe in evolution...this is a must read. Maguire deftly proves that Anne Coulter is a plagarist, a liar, and a fraud.
Barbara Rapelye
Sep 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Wow...this guy really goes to town on old Ann. He doesn't pull any punches and it's pretty well researched. What's even more comical is that Ann was even prez or vice prez of some Human Rights organization. She's pretty out there and a complete psycho. I rather enjoyed this book.
Malcolm Frawley
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
God knows right wing nut job Anne Coulter has earned evisceration but this wasn't the perfect small 'l' liberal Xmas read I was hoping for. Simplistic, at best, & kind of lazy, at worst. Disappointing.
Simon
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not too good. He lost me at some points. I knew from Franken that she is not an ethical writer. I find someone that wants all to be Christian, not too Christian to others. Unfortunately this is a come trend with Conservative Christians.
Craig
Apr 14, 2008 added it
I'll read this when my rage over the current administration simmers down a bit. Stuff like this isn't funny when you realize that people are dying in Iraq because of liars like her.
Allison
Mar 19, 2009 rated it did not like it
Nothing like extremism--don't like it in any form from any perspective. Extremism simply stirs up hate and discontent and offers nothing productive towards problem solving.
Nancy
Nov 28, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Hard Left or Hard Right
Read my review on my Book Blog!
Melissa
I probably should have read this when it first came out. Ann Coulter isn't really relevant anymore, so neither is this book.
Cindy Breeding
Jul 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
This mean-spirited screed against a mean-spirited pundit falls flat.
Thom Dunn