Start by marking “The Hunter, the Bear, and the Seventh Sister (World of Arcas, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hunter, the Bear, and the Seventh Sister (World of Arcas, #1)

The Hunter, the Bear, and the Seventh Sister

(World of Arcas #1)

When a beautiful and powerful stranger throws Jackson into the world of Arcas, his predictable midwestern life instantly vanishes into an all-consuming adventure.

The last kingdoms of Arcas possess enduring youth, beauty, and wealth but have slowly crumbled under the weight of endless apathy and a painful past.

The rising evil of Gurges Ater now threatens to reopen the anc
Published January 28th 2014 by ArcasArts (first published January 19th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Hunter, the Bear, and the Seventh Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunter, the Bear, and the Seventh Sister

Start your review of The Hunter, the Bear, and the Seventh Sister (World of Arcas, #1)
Mark Gardner
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I enjoyed The Hunter, The Bear, and The Seventh Sister. Wow, that’s a long title. I already have Arrows of Darkness slated to be read soon. The story is an easy read, and follow the story. I did figure out key plot points before they were revealed by the author, but watching the characters come to the same conclusion I did was a bit of fun. This story is suitable for readers of all ages, and I even learned a thing or two about constellations while reading it. I’m looking forward to the sequel, a ...more
Alex
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it
The Hunter, the Bear, and the Seventh Sister was such an easy book to read, it flowed nicely and a breath of fresh air. I was a little concerned that is says its a YA book but really it had more of a middle school feel to it, kind of a children's book. Though the story isn't as deep and mysterious as most of the books I read, I did feel it was still fun and energetic enough to keep me interested.

If you are looking for a fun story that's youthful and lighthearted, than I absolutely recommend. Bu
BaraFlis
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't start this book unless you have a good chunk of time--it'll hook you with the first chapter! As a 3rd grade teacher, I kept thinking about how much my students would enjoy this book. It makes a great read aloud, too. The variety of characters leaves everyone having his/her own favorite. The twists & turns, adventure & drama of this story kept me interested to the very end. I have to say, I'll never look up into the night sky in the same way again! (When is the next book coming out?!) ...more
Lipsy
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, read-in-2014, ya
Reviews & more: http://lipsyy.wordpress.com

The Hunter, The Bear and The Seventh Sister is like an amalgamation of all my favourite childhood reads.

The way Jackson is transported into the World of Arcas with its three suns and rich history, and put on a quest to save both Arcas and Earth from the evil of Gurges Ater reminded me of both The Neverending Story and Narnia.

Then, throughout his quest, Jackson meets is a plethora of witty, magical and down-right bizarre characters like Otava, the parano
Nikki
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
My copy was provided by Netgalley.

Jackson lives in a world where fantasy and magic only exists in books. He's just a normal guy living a normal life. That is, until a beautiful strangers literally throws Jackson into another world, a world filled with magic. In the new world of Arcas, Jackson encounters a talking bear, a hunter, and a seventh sister on his newfound journey.

His purpose is to save the crumbling kingdoms of Arcas and save Earth as well. Gurges Ater will stop at nothing to conquer
Sigourney
Received from NetGalley for review.

The Hunter, the Bear, and the Seventh Sister by B.I. Woolet is listed as Young Adult fiction on Goodreads, but let’s face it, calling it children’s fiction is much more fair and realistic. I started out with high hopes for this story; the premise is fascinating, a boy taken from his boring Earthly existence into a magical world full of strange creatures? Idea – ten points, execution – maybe five. The concept behind the story is genuinely interestin
Jane
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hunter, the Bear, and the Seventh Sister (World of Arcas # 1) by B I Woolet

4 Stars

I received this book to review as part of the tour and while it was on my ‘to be read’ pile for a while, I often found myself skipping past it and moving to the next on my list, purely and simply because I was put off by the very long, child like title. The title does infact fit with the book perfectly, but the YA label does not so I have rated this book as a children’s novel and not a YA.

Thousands of years a
Francesca
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it
It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to rate this book. I put off reading it because though the title and description interested me, the cover did not, and let's face it, we judge books by their covers. It's not on purpose, but it happens. The title also sounded similar to the Lion, the Witch, and the wardrobe, so I had a preconceived notion of what this story would be like to read.

I wasn't completely wrong. Instead of children being dragged into another world its a boy who has an acti
Star Bookworm
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
A fantasy novel for the middle-aged reader, the whole story was still quite enjoyable for the adult reader. This is going to be a great book to read with your kids and hold some actual intellectual substance on top of its entertainment value. There are dragons, a jungle princess, a paranoid bear, and celestial constellation references galore. The pace moves along with plenty of action, humor, and growth.

Every character and city from Arcas has a relation to the very constellations in our own hea
Tammy Hall
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy the constellations of stars in the sky and the beauty and the stories behind them then The Bear, The Hunter and the Seventh Sister is the book for you! This is one story the whole family can enjoy from any age. I loved the fact that I could share this book with my 9 yr old niece and still enjoy it myself. The scenery that was brought to life before my very eyes was one of awe and wonder. Arcas in my mind was absolutely breath taking. I so was just blown away by the detailing in thi ...more
Hayley Guertin
This book was amazing! I absolutely loved The Hunter, The Bear and The Seventh Sister, more specifically for it's fantastic storyline and awesome characters! I immediately fell in love with the main character, Jackson. He is relatable (mostly at the beginning of the story, unless I'm the only one who hasn't gone on a real adventure into another world.).

The other characters were also very enjoyable. My favourite had to be Otava, the bear, for his way with names and his sense of humour. Now, onto
Kj Partridge
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I keep trying to do a short description of the book and just cannot do it, there is no way my words can do this story justice. This story is a wonderful way to make constellations stick out in someone’s mind. I don’t think I will ever stare into the heavens without thinking about Jackson, the Hunter, or the rest of them anymore. That is a very good thing, it means the book left a mark on me, as I figured it would. It was a wonderful adventure from beginning to end, a romp through a world we can ...more
Judy
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have been trying to sit down and read this book since I was given a copy by the authors. With holiday vacation I have succeeded and am glad that I could sit down with this book and really get invested with the story. For anyone who likes Fantasy reads, this one is for you. I found the book to be really similar to J.R.R Tolkien's The Hobbit...A group of travelers on a mission, The Hero, someone who is definitely out of his element. With that said, I am a huge fan of The Hobbit so I highly recom ...more
Michelle
Jan 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
This was a really fun story. It was well written and interesting. There are a lot of characters to get to know and it was a pretty cool adventure. It is listed as a YA / teen book. But I really think this might be more along the lines of junior high (early teens/pre-teens). With that being said, I would recommend it for all kids from 8 yrs - 14yrs – or read aloud to children as young as 5 years old. I know I would have loved it around that age. I liked it a lot as an adult who loves reading. But ...more
Erica Palfrey
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great fantasy book that you could read for yourself or read it to your kids. There are dragons, a princess, a bear, and much star talk.
The descriptions of the characters and the scenery round them really pops and brings the story to life.
Arcam is absolutely beautiful and each character was tied to the constellations somehow. You fall in love with all of the characters, even the villain, who wants to open the passageways to Earth and steal weapons and rule over Arcas. Though, he can on
Brittany Wendtland
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book, I enjoyed it from the very first page. Jackson was thrown into a world that was stunningly beautiful. He was brought there by a strange white winged man and for a reason, to open the passage way to earth. This story had a lot of adventure and twists I was not expecting. I really enjoyed all the interesting characters as well. This book tells the great adventure Jackson goes on to do what he was brought there to do and a exciting adventure at that. This is also a book that ...more
Ruby
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed reading this story. Lovers of the stars and those starting out will learn about the constellations as well as the stories behind many of them. The plot was easy to read, yet had enough meat to hold you to the page and for fantasy lovers, the world of Arcas is a place that you could get lost in. My daughter who is 14, enjoyed this as well. Looking forward to seeing where the author will take us,
Ashley Martinez (ilovebooksandstuffblog)
This was a hard book for me to rate. Overall I think it's a 2.5 star rating for me. From the description the book sounds like an awesome fun adventure and would've been if it was written differently. For me, the story lacked emotion and depth of character making it hard to connect with both story and character.
The premise itself was good and I really wanted to enjoy this book but I found myself bored often. With some work this book could be an amazing fantasy like Chronicles of Narnia.
Katel70
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone Tween and up
Great story! We were lucky enough to be able to read an advance copy from the authors. Well written, I was amazed at the research that went into this book.

Good for the whole family, enjoyable for adults and children. A great read for anyone who likes a bit of scifi or fantasy without being over the top. Even those who aren't die-hard fantasy fans will enjoy this book.
Elena
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was reluctant to read it but when I started the book, I was hooked! I love journey books with a good moral in the story! This book reminded me of C.S. Lewis' Narnia series! God is evident in those books and is ever present in The Hunter, The Bear and The Seventh Sister! Young readers can understand this book!
M.L. Bennett
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe the plot twists! If you enjoy C.S Lewis, and J.R.R Tolkien, then you will definitely enjoy this book! It's an easy to understand adventure full of exciting action!
Matrishka
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was really good. I would recommend it for anyone who likes fantasy. Andi is definitely one of my favorite characters. Can't wait for the sequel.
Valerie
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an enjoyable, entertaining, magical story about a boy who is taken to another world supposedly to help that world defend against an evil threat that wants to open a bridge between earth and Arcas. He teams up with 3 beings from Arcas as he completes a journey that only an earthian can accomplish! But some beings from Arcas are not who they say they are and circumstances lead to a war to save both Earth and Arcas! This is suited for a younger audience but It is a delightful story!
Elo
Dec 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy, 1st, series
I really don't know why but I didn't into it.
That's why unfortunately this book will have one didn't-like-it-1-star from me.
The thing is that I didn't hated it (as only a few other 1star book have been rated got this harsh judgment) but I didn't get any real enjoy from this story.

And that's weird because it's a book of adventures, just a little bit fairytale-like and I like this kind of book but here the magic didn't get me flying and just passed right through me. And I got bored.

This copy was
Beth Palmer
Received from publisher for an honest review. However, this in no way makes me biased.

This book is an adventure story and a good one at that. Would recommend for older children - may read it to my little boy one day.
Ann
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a fun story that young teens should love. It combines Indian myths, Greek legends and a love of the star constellations. It appears to be book one of a series. Jackson is wisked away to another world to help steal gems that build bridges between these worlds.
Anna Smithberger