Start by marking “Made for More: An Invitation to Live in God's Image” as Want to Read:
Made for More: An Invitation to Live in God's Image

Made for More: An Invitation to Live in God's Image

Who are you, really'

In an uncertain world, we crave the security of knowing exactly who we are and where we belong. But too often as women, we try to find this safety in our roles and relationships, our professional accomplishments, or our picture-perfect homes. And as we do, our souls shrink smaller and smaller. It's because these things aren't made to hold us.

In Made for
Published April 1st 2014 by Moody Publishers (first published March 20th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Made for More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Made for More

Start your review of Made for More: An Invitation to Live in God's Image
Teri Pardue
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was really disappointed by this book. I think, in part, because I was expecting it to take a thoughtful and biblical look at a woman's identity in Christ (and how this looks relating to hot-button issues like submission and feminism and vocation). However, it is so basic that I was left scratching my head over who the audience was (too informed on Christianity to be for someone who wasn't a Christian but so redundant and 'obvious' that it was hard to see how a Christian would gain much from ...more
Keren Threlfall
I'm afraid I may have gone into this book with a slight bias: I've read Hannah Anderson's writing (via blog and contributed articles elsewhere) over the last few years, and have almost always profited from her writing and thinking. When I heard and read reviews for her upcoming book, my heart skipped a few beats with excitement, both at the topic and my knowledge of her gift for writing.

As I immersed myself into Hannah's forward, I again felt the same excitement.

Made for More: An Invitation to
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Imagine you could go back in time a bit.... Before the noise of Twitter that drowns out all our attempts at meaningful conversation about who we are with sharp chirps competing for our attention... Even before the fires of modern feminism that cast more heat than light on conversations about identity. Hannah Anderson invites you on just such a time traveling journey back to the quiet nothingness where God spoke the world into being and Anderson serves as your thoughtful tour guide in order to ...more
Katriel
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"In order to know who you are, you must first know who He is." - Hannah Anderson, Made for More

This is an amazing book. And I am so, so glad that I read it. It's changed my view of God, of myself, and my identity in Him. Hannah Anderson writes with honesty and thoughtfulness, revealing incredible truths in a surprisingly simple way. Her words spoke to my soul and I found myself walking away from her book renewed and refreshed. I feel like Anderson gives very few "how-tos" in this book and
Priscilla
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
returning to the basics of who we are, made in God's image, and how that looks in the day to day ... as women, as Christians, as parents, CEOs, or whatever else we are gifted with. and doing so with joy, presenting the image of God through our daily lives.
Susan
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Made for More delves into the deep question of what we're all here for. As women, we fill a wide variety of roles--wife, mother, daughter, teacher, friend, sister, employee, employer and many more depending on our talents and where we've chosen to invest them. But none of those things, says Anderson, truly get at the heart of who we are. Underlying it all is a thirst for identity that's deeper than the roles we may fill at any given time.

Who are we? Who were we made to be? And what
Jessica Beckett
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bought it because it was recommended on Tim Keller's twitter.

I would recommend this to any female who is struggling with identity (so most females). It's more theologically/philosophically dense than the average book written to a female audience.

I loved this illustration, the author talks about how a new subscription to Harper's Bazaar:

"Before Harper's Bazaar, fashion success meant being fully dressed before the children barged into my bedroom. After the magazine entered my world, I felt
Tina Lawton
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a smart and MOVING book. There were loads of things I knew I needed to be about as a Christ follower but honestly the ever day life of being a mom, a wife, a friend, a sister, a neighbour, a community worker blinded me to the way I really should be acting and what I should be striving for. I live so much for the approval of others and this book helped me see where the flaw in this is and how really I should be living. I love that the book is super researched and she write with a depth that ...more
Mary Cornelius
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really excellent book on what our identity truly is and on whom it rests.
Tori Samar
"This book is not a call to deny womanhood in order to embrace being made in His image. But it is a call to understand that womanhood, and everything that comes with it, serves a greater purpose. It is not a call to abandon labels or categories, but it is a call to step back in order to lay a solid foundation before we build those categories. It is a call to wrestle with what it means to be made in His image and to believe that you are made for more than what you often settle for. And ...more
R.J.
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Many books written by and/or aimed at Christian women stop short of the full blessing and calling that we have as image-bearers of God, focusing instead on what it means to be a woman. This book aims higher. As Hannah writes:

"When we identify first and foremost as women, we can begin to believe that knowledge of ourselves will come primarily through passages that speak to women’s issues or include heroines like Ruth or Esther. But when we do this, when we craft our learning and discipleship
Sara Fukuda
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Answering the question “who am I and why am I here?” Anderson’s answer is you are made in Gods image and are here to glorify Him!
She answers in a charming and relatable way. It’s everything I’ve ever wanted in a book about identity. Anderson writes “this is an invitation to reimagine yourself, not simply as a woman but first and foremost as a person destined to be like your God.”
She goes into how we’ve been searching for the answer to WHO AM I forever, and we search for the
Amanda
This book is meant to answer the question "who am I?" The answer is that our identity is found in Christ. This isn't a deep exposition of the Bible, but it isn't a surface treatment, either - it's a good middle ground. I enjoyed it quite a bit and would recommend it to any Christian.
Morgan
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, recommend
While this book is aimed towards women, I am pleased that the author puts forward that this is not just for women. While we do relate to God as women, we relate to God primarily as Christians. The whole Bible is for men and women.

Some might be disappointed that Anderson doesn’t delve into the specifics of following God as a woman, but I believe she provides something better. She breaks down who we are in relation to God, and the implications of what being made in His image means in our lives.
Tina
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, 2019
Read this to see how as God changes us, we become more like Him and we feel the weight of our sin more deeply. Seeing changes in ourselves will give us hope.
Luke Miller
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Based on a couple recommendations, I picked up this book last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. The book is technically written to women, but it's about our identity as human beings, made in the image of God, so it's really for everyone.

Anderson starts with a theologically and historically rich retelling of the Christian story. she hits all the essential plot points (Creation, Fall, Covenant, Cross, Resurrection, Glorification), and she does a brilliant job at connecting those events to the
S
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
The author has excellent points to make. Unfortunately, her personal illustrations are so uniformly sweet, it is impossible to relate to her. The Pollyanna quality of her real-life examples detract from her insightful writing, generally the fruit of painful experience. I found myself wondering whether she doesn't want to be transparent or how she came upon depth in the sunny shallow end?
Elisabeth
This book might be number three on my list of life-changing books. (The first two being the Bible and Not by Chance.) It's that pivotal to my understanding of interpreting who I am based on Scripture.
Jan
VT Reading Challenge - a book about Christian living
Tiffany
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
fantastic book full of Truth. thankful for this book.
Rebecca
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
will need to read this again - it gave me a lot to think about
Kelley
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful contemplation on what it means to truly live imago dei – as we were created, in the image of God.

Anderson invites you to look beyond the momentary present and see your place in God’s eternal work. She does so by simply and persistently pointing everything to Him.

“He created the world, and everything in it finds its source, its purpose, and its goal in Him. Including each one of us. … In order to know who you are, must first know who He is.”

For the one feeling unloved and
Julie Biles
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This title, “Made for More”, sounds like a self-help, personal achievement kind of book which made me resistant to pick it up but I am so glad I accepted the “Invitation to Live in God’s Image” part.
I read this after having read and awarding 5 stars as well to her later work, “Humble Roots”.
Personhood, not gender or any other facet that a human being uses to define oneself determines identity. We are each unique beings made in the image of God. Mull that over and around in your mind and heart.
Gabrielle Stoller
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So.....I FINALLY finished this book. I have been meaning to read it for over a year but there was a little thing called college that got in the way. And a little trip to NYC got in the way of listening to Hannah Anderson speak at our retreat. BUt I have finally made it a priority to finish the book and it is a balm to my soul.

Was anything original? Eh. The concept of living the life God has ordained for you has been talked about in books a lot. But I really appreciated the talk of being an image
Staci Elizondo
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars. There is such great truth in this book! I love how the author breaks down so many different aspects of being a woman and shows how we are created to be image beaters of God in each (all) of these parts of our lives. However, it took me over a year to read it (which is VERY rare since I’m a fast reader). It was something I needed to read a little bit of and then be motivated to read more. I learn best with stories, and this was mostly teaching-type writing instead. I gave it 4 Stars on ...more
Thibodeaux
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
The author does a fair job of helping to discern between a biblical worldview and a secular worldview as it relates to the imago Dei. She could be more succinct for my tastes but not everyone wants to be hit between the eyes with the bottom line. I do. We used this as a summer read for the women in our church and it was certainly worth the time and effort. We were able to generate some great discussions on what it means to live biblically.
Jays On Main Street
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a well of refreshing conversation about identity + how often we misplace its roots. It’s an honest look into our call to become image bearers for God, + it’s packed with Scriptural truth to encourage our pursuit of that very attainable reality. While this read is skewed towards a female perspective, the female reader is still undoubtedly human, + the points made within the text support a search for identity within Christ to which any human, male + female alike, can relate.
Kacie Woodmansee
This is not a difficult book to read. It didn't present me with any earth-shattering information. What Hannah Anderson did was state the foundational truths of finding your identity in Christ in such a way that it seemed real to me. It gave me the words I needed to give understanding to what Scripture says. She just does a very good job of reminding women that we were made for more than what we can see. We were made to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book after a couple friends enthusiastically recommended it. To be honest, my initial thought - even through the first couple chapters - was lukewarm. It was yet another self-help book for women. But because I know my friends and trust their judgment, I stuck with it. I’m glad I did.
Anderson debunks the trendy “who am I” cliches and brings us to the true heart of our existence - that we were made imago dei, in the image of God.
Anne
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book that took me a while to slowly read through. I highlighted and wrote so much in the margins. The conversation I had with this book was excellent. The author really challenged me to figure out who I am based on the fact that I was created as a child of God. We’re so often challenged to look inward to find the our true self but the author challenges readers to look outward and upward to God.
« previous 1 3 next »

• In His Image: 10 Ways God Calls Us to Reflect His Character
  • Identity Theft: Reclaiming the Truth of our Identity in Christ
  • Susie: The Life and Legacy of Susannah Spurgeon, wife of Charles H. Spurgeon
  • None Like Him: 10 Ways God Is Different from Us (and Why That's a Good Thing)
  • Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds
  • The Gospel Comes with a House Key
  • On Reading Well: Finding the Good Life Through Great Books
  • Love Thy Body: Answering Hard Questions about Life and Sexuality
  • Even Better Than Eden: Nine Ways the Bible's Story Changes Everything about Your Story
  • Parenting: 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family
  • Evidence Not Seen: A Woman's Miraculous Faith in the Jungles of World War II
  • Come, Let Us Adore Him: A Daily Advent Devotional
  • Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ
  • Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
  • Because He Loves Me: How Christ Transforms Our Daily Life
  • Openness Unhindered: Further Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert on Sexual Identity and Union with Christ
  • Teaching from Rest: A Homeschooler's Guide to Unshakable Peace
  • Just Open the Door: How One Invitation Can Change a Generation

Hannah Anderson lives in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. She spends her days working beside her husband in rural ministry, caring for their three young children, and scratching out odd moments to write. In those in-between moments, she contributes to a variety of Christian publications and is the
“The One who made us is the One who guides who we become.” 5 likes
“We act out of love for God; and our obedience actually causes us to love more because it brings us into harmony with His nature and our own.” 4 likes