Start by marking “Goodbye Pink Room: Rose's Story” as Want to Read:
Goodbye Pink Room: Rose's Story

Goodbye Pink Room: Rose's Story

When the words 'You are special' are the most dangerous a little girl can hear Rose grew up in a family where she felt inferior to her brothers and afraid of her mother, who warned her fiercely about men who hid in bushes and did unspeakable things to children. But Uncle George made her feel safe, loved and wanted. Her whole family trusted him - so when he wanted to take R ...more
Published March 21st 2014 by Lion Books

To ask other readers questions about Goodbye Pink Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodbye Pink Room

Lyn
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Soul Wrenching
This book had to be written. As long as sexual child abuse is hidden, the predators will continue to harm our children. Yes, it is graphic – but remember Rose had to live it – you can certainly read it! Words cannot describe the horrific scenes yet these events continue and indeed are in two separate headline stories in today’s Phoenix newspaper. Education is the only way to prevent sexual child abuse – and, we as a society, must prepare our children and arm them with the power to
Den
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, true
This was hard to read as it was written in the words of a child. Very powerful. Despite being warned about strangers, Rose is consistently abused by her uncle, a pillar of the community & he is very clever to use her doubts to make her keep everything a secret. Even in later years when she tells her mum and brothers, they tell her to forget all about it.
I liked the end of the book where it offers advice and places to go if you find yourself in that situation.

Damaskcat
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a powerful and very uncomfortable book to read. 'Rose' is abused as a child by 'Uncle George' consistently and systematically while all the time she is assured by her abuser that if she tells anyone she will be blamed for behaving like a 'bad girl'. Rose just knows that what he is saying is the truth that it must be all her fault and that she must keep their secret even if it makes her feel unclean and not worthy of her pink and feminine room.

The book is written in almost stream of consc
Kendra
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, memoir

Hmm. I don't really know where to start with this book. I guess I'll start out by giving it 3 stars. The subject matter is gut wrenching. Rose is telling the story of how her Uncle George molests her. It is written by another author through Roses' words and experiences - so at times it is a little choppy and hard to follow at times. But, it also gives you a sense of her innocence (not just from the act of the crime but her age as well).

Rose is getting sex
Fiona Mccormick
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. It is a very difficult book to review as it would be wrong to say it was an enjoyable read, however it is a story which had to be told and deserves to be listened to.
it is the story of Rose who was sexually abused by the family friend and powerful authoritative church member 'Uncle George' from young childhood until adolescence. He groomed her by taking her on outings and teaching her how to be 'grown up' and to be a
Rebecca Emin
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book is about a girl called Rose who suffers abuse at the hand of her Uncle George. It has been written by a ghost-writer who has the skill to show the voice of the child, and later, the adult the victim became.

The events that occurred are narrated sensitively, with the more harrowing experiences that Rose faced hinted at, in the guise of her thoughts, rather than spelt out in minute detail.

The book reads like a memoir. A story of a childhood so painful it is hard to imagine, and yet that i
Marjorie
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Given To Me For An Honest Review

Jane Grayson's book Goodbye Pink Room is a real heartbreaker but also an eyeopener. It is about a young girl, Rose, who is always has nice manners and behaves. She loves her Uncle George very much. This book is about abuse of a young child. She is abused by someone she has loved and trusted so very much. This abuse changes who she was tremendously. She is being good and doing what he says then he says if she ever says anything he will use it against her. It is abo
sue
Oct 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I was given the book to read and review by Lion Hudson PLC via Net Galley.
This book goes live in January.

I started reading this three hours ago. Its not a very long book but its a complex one.

Most of the story is spoken/told through the eyes of a little girl who has a Mummy and Daddy who love and want to keep her safe, only they don't realise the monster is the Uncle.

I know this is a true story, however, I found a lot of the way it was written confusing and hard to follow. There were formatting
Amy
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another hard, but wonderfully written book. The subject matter is hard for most to read about. Even harder to live it. I feel for the little girl who has to live through this. It is so hard to "tell on" the ones who hurt us. Especially, when it is family.
I want to thank the author, publisher, and NetGalley for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Theweebarrell
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
enjoyed this book although disturbing in parts. It was well written and it made me feel as if i was beside rose when she told her story.
Shawna Briseno
Nov 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
ARC provided by NetGalley:
Yes, I knew this was a book about child abuse when I requested it. However, it became too graphic too quickly and I just can't bring myself to read any more of it.
Helen
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Read the first few pages and I know what's coming. I don't want to read anymore :(
Ches
rated it did not like it
May 30, 2015