Start by marking “The Power of No: Because One Little Word Can Bring Health, Abundance, and Happiness” as Want to Read:

How many times have you heard yourself saying yes to the wrong things—overwhelming requests, bad relationships, time-consuming obligations? How often have you wished you could summon the power to turn them down? This lively, practical guide helps you take back that power—and shows that a well-placed “No” can not only save you time and trouble, it can save your life.

Published July 15th 2014 by Hay House, Inc. (first published June 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of No, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of No

Doug Kerwin
Oct 21, 2014 rated it liked it
For me there was no huge alignment on the theme of the book as in saying no to things, but I came to really admire James as an author and a person. While there was little new material in this book for me, it is often useful to hear the same stuff again from a little different angle and James delivers an entertaining performance.

I love his suggestion to read 500 books as a cornerstone to re-inventing yourself. I bet there's a fair amount of overlap between the books we've read.

Another stand out w
Ryan Dejonghe
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Boy, was I mistaken! I started THE POWER OF NO expecting ESEENTIALISM-lite. You know, nice message, but without the collective power of heavy corporate sponsorship. When I started reading it, I thought it was weird..a bit odd. It didn’t jive with everything else I’ve been reading. And then I thought of that quote by Haruki Murakami, “If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.”

The more I read this, the more I loved it. This may be
eb
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
INSANE, in an amusing and bizarre way! The husband gives us reheated Chopra and Tolle and presents exercises for the reader ("write down 10 new ideas a day. Sound too hard? Write down 20"). The wife chimes in with tales from the meditation cushion and anecdotes about jerky ex-boyfriends. You get the impression they're in their own little cult of two and are so happy about it. They might be right about everything, but I don't trust anything they say because of their general zaniness (not to menti ...more
Ross
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it
James wrote this book this his wife Claudia. There was much down-to-earth sage advice from James as usual - some of it better than others, but enough golden paragraphs here and there to make it all worth it. His wife, on the the other hand, is too abstract for my liking. I accept that it works for some people, but I'm mentally allergic to Deepak Chopra-style language and thought. I found myself painfully rushing through Claudia's parts of the book to get them over with. Towards the second half o ...more
Gabura Luminița
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I only read the book because I didn't have anything else with me and I had to wait for about 3 hours in the airport. Maybe because I had big expectations about this book and because I have previously read a considerable number of motivational books and self development books, this one have not left me any new idea. A very pessimistic start and so is the end of the book. I wouldn't recommend it, it is a waste of time.
KatieDMD
So this was an impulse buy because of an interview James Altucher did with Tim Ferriss on Ferriss' podcast. I admit it, I am a sucker for subtle marketing and commercialism. The interview was very interesting (check it out!) and Altucher came across as down to earth, realistic and pretty forward thinking. I was very surprised to see the opposite personality in his book, The Power of No.

It is 240 pages of kind of common sense (exercise regularly, eat foods that nourish your body, get lots of sle
Aizel (One Page at a Time) Macaldo
No. A two-letter word that can make or break who you are. A two-letter word that will lead to a happier YES.

In The Power of No, James and Claudia teach us, readers, how to connect with our true selves by saying NO to the things that may cause harm. The book teaches or reminds us that we are our own person. And no one is to dictate us what we should or should not, could or could not do. This is indeed a great book, especially for those who are trying to reach or know their true identity, for thos
Marisa
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not bad, certainly had some motivational elements to it. I think I preferred the curtness of James more so than Claudia, who at times I found a little too airy-fairy for my liking. Raises some good ideas to put into practise for life management though. I would recommend, but probably with a small precursor of it being a tad icky at times as well as reiterating some blindingly obvious life points which may seem patronising to some.
Steven Woloszyk - (Wa-LUSH-ick)
We see a tip of the cap to Eckhart Tolle and his best selling book, The Power of Now, right in this book’s title. So, it’s no surprise to find references to his Holiness, the Dalai Lama, Buddha, Thich Nhat Hahn, being “still,” meditation, etc.

The book starts with a NO Bill of Rights. Here we find 11 rights such as, our right to take OUR time, the right to healthy relationships and real love, the right to have an abundant and fulfilled life, etc.

Next, our authors, James and his wife Claudia, alte
Rich Christiansen
Oct 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Not at all what I was expecting. Essentially just a couple chatting about their thoughts; not really a well-thought out presentation. The female voice is difficult to understand at times in the audiobook.
Cloris Kylie
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever found the message in a book so compelling that you want to reread it immediately after you finish it?
That’s what happened to me when I read “The Power of No” by James and Claudia Altucher.
“Saying no” usually makes us think of what we don’t want in life. However, saying no to toxic environments and people also means saying yes to the abundance that is our birthright.
There are seven facets of “No” explored in this book:
The NO that chooses life
Sometimes we adopt behaviors and attitude
Sarah Jimenez
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
I've always been a bit of a pushover. Often I’d find myself agreeing to things I didn't want to do, didn't have time to do, or because I was afraid the person who was asking for the favor would not like me if I said no. I've changed in many ways and I am much more confident and okay with telling people no, yet, sometimes I feel I still struggle with this.

I was excited to read The Power of No: Because One Little Word Can Bring Health, Abundance, and Happiness by James Altucher and his wife, Claud
Dawn
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiration
"The Power of No" is a must read. It makes "no" a positive word, because it frees us up to make room for "yes." "No" is one of the shortest words in the English language , but we don't use it enough. We get overworked, tired, resentful. This book shows us just how and when to say, "no."

James and Claudia Altucher show how the "seven types of no" lead to positive things in our lives--we must use them more often. My major takeaways: 1. Say “no” more often 2. Saying “no” is a risk but it reaps a bi
Andy Nieradko
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There is an admirable level of honesty the authors bring to this book. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is suffering from depression or high levels of stress. A caregiver type of person, who is always taking on more and more responsibility without taking care of themselves would also greatly benefit from reading The Power of No. Besides the lessons from author's personal experience, this book offers many powerful insights and several helpful tools for quieting the mind and getting to wh ...more
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Notes by Derek Sivers:

Quite scattered book, but inside the mess was a nice reminder of the importance of saying no to anything that doesn't serve you well.

Highlights:

Decide who in your life drains you of energy, and then purge them so you can soar.

The best way to negotiate is to take the time and space to determine what is best for you. You succeed by saying yes only when you are ready and the conditions are right.

In removing yourself temporarily from the situation, you reduce the supply of your
Micky
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Micky by: This was an ARC from Netgalley
No is such a little word that holds so much power and can be the pathway to health, freedom and abundance. Why is it so hard for us to say no? Because growing up we are taught to be nice and saying no can seem so unaccommodating. So, we say yes to relationships we really do not want to be in; events we do not want to go to and jobs we hate but have to pay the bills, so we feel there is no other way.

James Altucher is the REAL DEAL and my favorite motivational go-to person. My life continues to ch
Blair Hodgkinson
I listened to the Audible audiobook. I may have enjoyed it more as I found the authors' joint reading of the material to be less dramatic and more sincere than it might have seemed from a hired voice performer (in this one case).

I found the overemphasis on abundance as material wealth a little uninspiring, but as the authors addressed this emphasis and pointed out that you can work toward whatever makes you feel wealthy I was able to put this aside more easily. Lots of good advice, and as with m
Gregory
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
ARC form Net Galley for a non-biased review.

Before you start reading this book make sure you learn to use the highlight and note function on your e-reader. Or if you have a physical copy go to your local office supply store and see if they have gallon buckets of high-lighter. I swear my Kindle glowed a little brighter when I was reading this insightful manifesto.

In a yes, yes world we are reminded of the power of no and how much we can accomplish when we learn to embrace no. This is one of those
Anthony Cheng
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm torn on the rating for this one, since I do love James Altucher's other books, and the parts of this book that were solely his had that same quality. However, the switching off of chapters between James and his wife and co-author, Claudia, made for a schizophrenic reading experience. Also, perhaps as a consequence of this conceit, there was a lot more "woo-woo" than I've come to expect from a James Altucher book. There's some good stuff in here, but I can't wholeheartedly recommend it.
Katherine
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
I just didn't connect with this book. Although their were a few tidbits that resonated with my life, overall I felt the authors were on a different plane. One of my favorite quotes, "When you have a tiny, tiny piece of crap in your soup, it doesn't matter how much more water you pour in and how many more spices you put on top. There's crap in your soup."
Desiree
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
There were lots of little things / advice that I enjoyed throughout this book, but overall it just left me with a "It's okay" impression.
Leslie Goddard
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I just didn't get this book. The writing felt like it straining to be pseudo-spiritual and I had to translate it in my mind, which was annoying. As were the frequent "quips" that didn't always make sense. But more than that, the content did not match what the title promised. The focus wasn't on learning how to say no, not in the way I was expecting, but instead focused predominantly on how to create a meaningful career/job for yourself. That's not what I got this book for. I already have a hugel ...more
Susan Miller
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The exercises are inventive and new & potentially helpful - I don't know yet as I've just begun them. I liked the twist of making a list of wishes, things I accomplished in a day, things I am afraid of, and changing one thing in my daily routine. Wishes aren't new - but I've never considered actually making a list of them.

One of Claudia's sections got through with breathing and visualizing - exhaling and envisioning a lotus flower blooming above my head and inhaling down into my roots throug
Nicole
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this read! It was definitely a simple “easy” read that is great for those wanting something that will make them think but won’t take a long time to do it!

I was itching to find a book that would give me little exercises to practice in my daily life, and it provides just that!

I wouldn’t recommend the book to someone wanting an I depth way to say no, or a detailed book on how to change your life. It is more so a quick read to help you alter your perspectives and a way to be grate
Mihaela
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book gives a lot of support for people who are struggling to accept themselves by saying no to situations that hurt them. I did like the fact that they gave some useful tips of how to defend our rights, but when I read their experiences I felt that the essence was lost on the way. Nonetheless, I wouldn't recommend it further because I believe it creates false motivation.
Noe Branagan
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good when you are looking for different approach to solve problems

This is a good book for a person who's looking for advice on dealing with perception and people problem in a entrepreneur environment
Scott
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I gave the book a 5 because I could listen to this guy’s crazy shit for hours.
Sebastián Ortega
Jan 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
A short—but unbearable long—series of magic thinking and if-you-wish-it-hard-enough-will-happen ramblings. I don't know how I get to the last page.
David Wygant
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Perceive abundance rather than scarcity. Open your heart with compassion. Abstain from people and things that harm you.
Bonnie Fournier
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

This book is so good 👍. I plan to read it maybe every month. Our church is practicing the power of NO this week. Perfect timing.
  • The Art of Being Kind
  • The Philosophy of Humanism
  • The Abilene Paradox and Other Meditations on Management
  • Rules of Thumb: 52 Truths for Winning at Business Without Losing Your Self
  • Play It Away: A Workaholic's Cure for Anxiety
  • The Human Face of Big Data
  • Deep Truth: Igniting the Memory of Our Origin, History, Destiny, and Fate
  • What to Talk About: On a Plane, at a Cocktail Party, in a Tiny Elevator with Your Boss's Boss
  • Buddhist Biology: Ancient Eastern Wisdom Meets Modern Western Science
  • Decoded: The Science Behind Why We Buy
  • The One to One Future
  • Puzzles to Puzzle You
  • The C.I.A. Doctors: Human Rights Violations by American Psychiatrists
  • Choices and Illusions: How Did I Get Where I Am, and  How Do I Get Where I Want to Be?
  • How to Love Yourself (and Sometimes Other People): Spiritual Advice for Modern Relationships
  • The All-Day Energy Diet: Double Your Energy in 7 Days
  • Spruce: A Step-by-Step Guide to Upholstery and Design
  • The Art Of The Long View:  Planning For The Future In An Uncertain World
James Altucher is a writer, successful entrepreneur, chess master, and investor.

He has founded over 20 companies and sold some of them for large exits. He has also run venture capital funds, hedge funds, angel funds, and currently sits on the boards of many companies.

He has written and been profiled in most major national media publications like the Wall Street Journal, The Financial Times, CNBC,
“Being grateful is the bridge between the world of nightmares and the world where we are free to say no. It's the bridge between the world of delusions and the world of creativity.
It's the power that brings death back to life, the power that turns poverty to wealth and anger to compassion.”
9 likes
“Always say to yourself, I’d rather be healthy than right. Because the infection of someone so wounded will spread to you if you engage.” 9 likes