Start by marking “Nora” as Want to Read:
Nora

Nora

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  1,004 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Nora Marlowe came to Texas with visions of dashing cowboys and great adventure -- but one despicable man with infernal laughing eyes, Cal Barton, took it upon himself to put an end to her illusions. Now Nora's love for Cal will cost her everything she holds dear. . .
Published by Harlequin (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Nora, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nora

Chantal ❤️
Jenny
Nora is a spoiled, snob superficial aristocrat heiress. Her family is rich and she is arrogant and thinks she is better than people from a lower social class. She meets Cal a dirty, working man, a cowboy who works at her aunt's ranch. They are attracted to each other, they have sex, she gets pregnant and they decide to marry.

But what Nora doesn't know is that Cal is not what he pretends to be. In reality he is a very rich man but he won't let Nora know. He wants her to love him who he is plus h
Melanie♥
3.5 stars for the audiobook version.

Typical Diana Palmer book but with an historical setting. This one is set partly in Beaumont in 1901 just before the big Spindletop oil discovery in East Texas. I grew up there, so I found that part really interesting. I think this one would have been better if I had read it. It always annoys me when a book does not use contractions. Maybe that's how people spoke in 1901, but it just did not come across very natural in this version. Good storyline, a nice bit
Jessica
I'm not really a fan of cowboys, so I don't know why I keep reading about them. I think it's that I picked up one Diana Palmer book for a dime over a decade ago and enjoyed the romance genre enough but not enough to venture beyond this one author. I enjoy historical romance but I'm meh on cowboy themes. A bit too antiquated and weird masculine ideals that make me squirm more than sigh wistfully. I think I need new romance recommendations.
Inn Auni
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western, romance
Even till the end, it felt like Nora and Cal were still strangers. There's no spark between them.

I don't deny Nora was snobbish but, she was raised that way. And Cal was no better trying to educate her. I still think there's so many other way for Cal to educate Nora. She just needed some home skill lesson and that's it.

This was shelve as grovelling hero. Not much grovelling because they both were wrong. I think they redeemed themselves in the end.
Christel
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical romance readers
Shelves: diana-palmer
I really enjoyed reading this one. I has nothing to do with her Jacobsville, Long Tall Texans, series. and It was nice to get away from there for a change.

Nora is a spoiled, pampered eliteist from Virginia. Her family has money and are of the highest social status. And Nora acts it. While in Africa, she is bitten by mosquitos and comes done with Malaria. She returns to the States and has the fevers at bay when a telegram arrives asking her to visit her family in East Texas. She goes and begins h
Janie
Rating: 4.5 stars.

I haven't read this book since first touching it in 2012. What I do remember was that Nora was extremely up herself, due to her high social standing and that her family was well off.

Throughout the book, Cal tries to 'tame' her and put her into place, firstly by moving her into a small house, which she isn't used to, and on top of that a house without hired help!

I remember that Nora suffered from this, as she was not used to doing housework, but Cal was unforgiving and didn't
Amanda Sheila
It's been a while since I have an anguish attack while reading Diana Palmer. This one's good! I practically feel Nora's painful heart break when she heard remark after remark from Cal. I like the feeling, I guess I am an angst-junkie after all. :)))

One of the best book of Diana Palmer I've read but I can't give it five stars. Mostly because I don't like Cal's withdrawal after Nora's terrible illness. I wish he'd fight for her. But still, I enjoyed it. Anyway, what an ending! :)
Lizzie
Apr 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I'm done. Stick a fork in me. I've had enough of waiting for this selfish, snobbish, elitist stick-up-her-ass girl to grow up. Maybe she redeems herself before the book is over. I only made it about halfway through. Too bad I just don't have the patience to find out. And he's not much better!
Virginia Markhart
I am not a fan of Harlequin. Never have been. I started reading this book, not realizing that it was a Harlequin. wow. So glad I did not now that, I may have missed a wonderful book. This was unlike any Harlequin that I had read in the past. Very, very interesting. I liked the family social status drama, the secrets between the main characters, and the setting of the story which was in Texas.
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
  • Taken: The Spaniard's Virgin (Mediterranean Brides, #2)
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
  • The Tycoon's Mistress
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • Cherish
  • The Italian's Token Wife
  • With a Southern Touch: Adam/A Night in Paradise/Garden Cop
  • Dark Angel (Sister Brides, #4)
  • Courting Susannah
  • The Sicilian's Virgin Bride
  • The Wedding in White
  • Scoundrel (Montagues, #3)
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • The Greek Tycoon's Love-Child
  • The Blackmail Baby
  • Marriage Meltdown
  • Tennessee Moon

Diana Palmer is a pseudonym for author Susan Kyle.

(1)romance author
Susan Eloise Spaeth was born on 11 December 1946 in Cuthbert, Georgia, USA. She was the eldest daughter of Maggie Eloise Cliatt, a nurse and also journalist, and William Olin Spaeth, a college professor. Her mother was part of the women's libera
More about Diana Palmer...