Start by marking “Terms & Conditions” as Want to Read:
Terms & Conditions

Terms & Conditions

Frank has been in a serious car accident and he’s missing memories—of the people around him, of the history they share, and of how he came to be in the crash. All he remembers is that he is a lawyer who specializes in fine print, and as he narrates his story, he applies this expertise in the form of footnotes.*

Everyone keeps telling Frank that he was fine before the accide
Published April 22nd 2014 by Bloomsbury USA (first published February 13th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Terms & Conditions, please sign up.
Robert Glancy Yes, adults only this one. Too many rude words I'm afraid!

Robin (Bridge Four)
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-5-stars
Fine print, who reads it? I could be signing away my first born when I update my itunes account or cell phone contract, actually I think they take a piece of my soul. But I never read through it,

Frank is the character that writes all of the fine print and he has just had a mental breakdown. He doesn’t remember anything about his past, including his wife and family, it is all a jumble. I immediately liked Frank.

I’m anti-trust, the dark force committed to destroying life’s faith, hope and wonder
John Purcell
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Terms and Conditions was a publisher proof copy in a pile of publisher proof copies beside my bed.

I had been told that everyone at Bloomsbury Australia loved the book – which is only right since they were taking the trouble to publish it. They think it could be one of those surprise hits. They are going to back it with marketing. My first thought on hearing this pitch is, try Googling the title.

But I like the mob at Bloomsbury and take it home. I put it with the others.

I try not to think of this
Marianne
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marianne by: jeniwren
“Doug’s head sagged and I felt him give up on me. That feeling of people giving up on me, that’s a physical sensation now. As if we’re tied by a million soft strings and when I disappoint a few thousand strings stretch and break, as my connection to that person is severed by yet more thin slices of disappointment.”

Terms and Conditions is the first novel by Zambian-born, Malawi-raised New Zealand author, Robert Glancy. A car accident has left Franklyn Shaw with a brain injury, the immediate effe
Michael
Fine print, we see it everywhere but how many of us can say truthfully we have read it? One person who does is Frank, infact he is a lawyer who specializes in fine print. But when Frank is involved in a car accident he suffers apart from injuries including that he has lost his spleen, he also lost memories. These include the people around him, the histories they share and the circumstances that lead to his accident.

All he knows is he works with his older brother, with the two of them inheriting
Brenda
Frank Shaw was a corporate lawyer – he wrote contracts for a living. But after his dreadful car accident when he was lying prone in hospital, in pain, drifting in and out of consciousness, he couldn’t remember anything of his work, nor his family or his wife Alice. With family members all around him, telling him he would be fine, all he could think was that he didn’t even know these people who were telling him that he would be fine.

When he finally went home from hospital he tried to recollect ev
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Terms & Conditions is a quirky*, black humoured story of a man** who lost his mind***, then regained his soul.****

* Makes extensive use of footnotes
** Franklyn Shaw, contract lawyer aka Executive X. Husband of corporate bimbo, Alice. Brother of conscienceless prat, Oscar and Malcolm, who is missing his pinkie finger.
*** Amnesia as a result of a car accident while in the midst of a nervous breakdown
**** This will all make much more sense when you have read the book. Which you should do.
Rochelle
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was hilarious, and I love humour in the books I read. I almost didn’t enter the Goodreads giveaway to win it, it looked interesting, but I wasn’t one hundred percent sure. I already have a huge pile of books I need to read so I’m trying to enter comps only when I really want something. But Goodreads make it so easy to enter, and the fact that it was funny made me finally decide to click the enter button, and I am so glad I did because otherwise I would have missed out on a ...more
Austra
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pilnīgi neplānoti manā lasāmsarakstā nokļuva stāsts par Frenku, kurš atmostas slimnīcas gultā pēc autoavārijas un, protams, neko neatceras. It kā ļoti nodrāzts motīvs, bet patika autora izvēlētais risinājums - tā kā Frenks ir jurists, kas specializējas līgumu rakstīšanā, tad visu grāmatas nodaļu nosaukumi ir ieturēti Noteikumu un nosacījumu stilā, pievienojot arī daudzas, vēl grūtāk salasāmas zemsvītras piezīmes, jo tāds jau ir mazā fonta mērķis - nogurdināt līguma lasītāju, lai tas vienkārši no ...more
Meyrnah Khodr
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a laugh
Recommended to Meyrnah by: i won this book through the giveaways on Goodreads
Terms and Conditions of a good book;
*Entertaining
*Different
*Honest
*Well Written
*Must have Fine Print!
*Must have nasty characters that you love to hate!!

Condition 1: Terms and Conditions of Laughter
Robert Glancy's dry wit and sense of humour kept me very entertained and giggling throughout the novel. His portrayal of 'Frank', the terms and conditions guy, is extremely funny - even though this character was going through such life-changing experiences. When I read the blurb about this book, I thou
Lita
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to agree with Frank (the main character of the book) - if you put certain events into the story, it becomes a little bit like a soap opera. So that's what happened to Frank's life. But the true story of the book is all about life's big question. Are you happy? Are you doing exactly what you wanted to do in your life? And what does it take for you to make some changes? Maybe a little bit of soap opera like drama?

It's an easy read written in a true spirit of terms and conditions. Each chapt
Alex
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and highly recommend it. The character development of the protagonist is superb. The antagonist(s) is well thought out and entirely believable, particularly for anyone who has worked in a corporate environment. I enjoyed the short contract format of the book and loved the humour. This is a brilliant first book. I can't wait to see what Robert Glancy writes next! This is a must read, particularly for anyone who has spent any time at all working in the corporate wor ...more
Ruth P
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book...laugh out loud funny,poignant,intelligently written.It was a quirky little treasure even though I needed a magnifying glass to read some of the tiny print...didn't want to miss any little gems at the bottom of the page that invariably made me laugh.
I loved Frank...what a great man.
I had to keep reminding myself it was set in London because it had a very American feel to it but none the worse for that.
Highly recommended,well done Robert Glancy...I would love to talk to you abo
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little too much cussing for my taste, but a very funny book. It will make you think about your own life.
Aly
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Found as I wandered aimlessly through the library, and a pleasant surprise. A nice mix of fun, humour, meaning and lightheartedness.
Emily
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the most clever, witty and poignant books I've read in a long time. You almost feel like you were talking to Frank on a very long train ride. Oh and the footnotes and the puns were brilliant. Would highly recommend.

"Terms and conditions of endings: More often than not, they're badly disguised beginnings."
Mac
May 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Terms & Conditions was loaned to me electronically. Since I've never read a book on my Kindle iPad app and since the novel was recommended, I decided to give them, the book and the Kindle, a try. My verdict: They were both only OK.

First, the app. Where I wanted to read fast, it was great. I set the line width and type size to comfortable settings and rolled along. That said, I had a vague sense of discomfort, perhaps because I was new to the process, perhaps because I missed the tactile sens
Jeff Raymond
Sep 06, 2014 rated it liked it
There's certainly a history of novels that work with the whole footnotes trope. Infinite Jest is famous for it, Ibid probably the best use of footnotes I've seen, and Terms and Conditions attempts to use footnotes in the narrative to tell the story of a lawyer who, following coming back from an accident that left him with temporary amnesia, gets a whole lot of revenge.

If you're into quirky revenge fantasies, this is pretty fun. If you're looking for laugh out loud funny, it has its moments. Why,
Barbara
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As some-one who has worked a lot with laws, contracts, lawyers, human resource professionals and in an office, I loved this.

The book is filled with laugh out loud moments (which can be interesting when you are travelling on public transport) and moments of wry recognition. But there are bitter sweet moments too, as Frank, our narrator, regains his memory after a car crash.

This is a book I've been recommending widely, and, as I was reading it, I found myself quoting passages at unsuspecting coll
Barbara
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a quirky book. Frank knows he's had a "little episode" and doesn't remember key events in his life before the episode. He is an attorney specializing in "fine print." Gradually he does begin to remember his life, and things were not that great. But all is revealed with great humor, and the ending was great! Everything tied up just as I hoped it would. My only complaint: the book typface was very small! I think it was meant to convey the whole "read the fine print" attitude of the narrat ...more
Brian
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a cute, unique book that I had a bit of trouble connecting to. What would you do if you woke up and couldn't remember your wife, your family or your friends? That happened to our British narrator, Frank, who discovers that things aren't what they seem. THe book is written with a touch of humor, and has a lot of footnotes, as well as emails dispersed. I have trouble connecting with some of the characters though.
Jessica
Loved this one, particularly the format—each chapter being the "Terms and Conditions" of something, with lots of footnotes and fine print. A fantastically funny book about a lawyer who specializes in fine print*, and discovers the terms and conditions to his own life when he wakes up with amnesia after a car accident.

*Yep, that really small type in the terms and conditions that you probably never read, where you may just be signing away your soul. Always read before you sign!
Nikki Naddy
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, schwarzer-humor
Anfangs lustig und irgendwann nur noch langweilig. ..
Jo-anne
May 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I thought this book was ok but felt the format was too " choppy" for my taste. A good book for an airplane or the beach.
Helena Wildsmith
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely surprise of a book that I found at a library sale for 10p! The main character, Frank, is so brilliantly realistic that I felt like he was in the room with me. However the thing I loved the most about this book is the ending - so witty and clever that it left me with a grin on my face. Definitely one I'd recommend to others.
Helen
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Laugh out loud funny at times, and very original. Didn't always read the footnotes - too small text when my glasses weren't handy - and kept being surprised that it was set in the UK as it had a very American feel to it. Did get a tiny bit bored with it in the middle but perked up towards the end and the ending was great.
Flo
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Liked the concept, hated pretty much everything else. You'd think lawyer bashing would be dead by now...
Ailish
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I've read in a while. I loved the main character. The style of writing was brilliant and amusing to read. I thoroughly enjoyed the story.
Licy
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I highly recommend this to those who enjoy satirical humour in literature. Frank, our main protagonist, is the epitome of dark sarcasm.
...this was just overall a very enjoyable read.
Miz
Apr 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
He has my life. And I still wasn't excited.
Sam Still Reading
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone.
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: ARC from publisher and The Reading Room - thank you!
Thank you to Bloomsbury Sydney and The Reading Room for the my copy.

Terms and Conditions is a fantastically funny book that takes into account serious issues – then annihilates them in an original way. Don’t be put off by the title – while very few (if any) of us read the fine print of competitions, policies and our iTunes accounts, Glancy’s fine print will have you devouring the footnotes. These wonderfully humorous annotations on the main text add to our understanding of the workings of our pr
  • Soon
  • Hester and Harriet
  • Season of Shadow and Light
  • Shooting Stars: My Unexpected Life Photographing Hollywood's Most Famous
  • Danger Goes Berserk (Brixton Brothers, #4)
  • Positive: One Doctor's Personal Encounters with Death, Life, and the US Healthcare System
  • The Opposite of Love
  • Everyone's a Critic (Drama!, #2)
  • Eugenia
  • Last Days in Shanghai
  • Cadillac Chronicles
  • All Dogs Go to Kevin: Everything Three Dogs Taught Me (That I Didn't Learn in Veterinary School)
  • A Beginner's Guide to Paradise: 9 Steps to Giving Up Everything So You Too Can: Move to a South Pacific Island, Wear a Loincloth, Read a Hundred Books, Diaper a Baby Monkey, Build a Bungalow,
  • Six Stories and An Essay
  • The Professor of Truth
  • What Came Before
  • Joshua's Folly
  • A Time to Run (Constable Sammi Willis, #1)
I was born in Zambia and raised in Malawi – a country known as the Warm Heart of Africa but made famous as the place where Madonna finds her children.

At 14 I moved from the warm heart of Africa to the cold lungs of Edinburgh, where I discovered the true meaning of the term ‘culture shock’.

After Edinburgh I studied history at Cambridge. Then off to London where, before I had time to find a career