Start by marking “The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass 0.1 - 0.5)

4.49  ·  Rating Details ·  51,353 Ratings  ·  6,396 Reviews
Discover where Celaena Sardothien's thrilling saga began

Celaena Sardothien is her kingdom's most feared assassin. Though she works for the powerful and ruthless Assassin's Guild, Celaena yields to no one and trusts only her fellow killer-for-hire, Sam.

When Celaena's scheming master, Arobynn Hamel, dispatches her on missions that take her from remote islands to hostile dese
Published March 4th 2014 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin's Blade, please sign up.

Kate um, let's be real. everyone is a joke compared to Sam, he's just gahhh.

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I loved this! I'll have a review of this on the channel soon. :)
Lyanna (I need a Herondale in life)
Want to be updated on everything Throne of Glass?
Visit the Throne of Glass fansite!

CHAOL OR DORIAN?
SAM CORTLAND, BICHES.

I did not expect anything when I bought this book. All I knew was that it was a collection of five novellas that transpired before the events of Throne of Glass, and I'm reading it to make the wait for Heir of Fire more bearable.

I especially did not expect to resemble a certain sponge after reading:

The fact that Sarah J. Maas was able to break my heart with five novellas scare
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Jun 08, 2015 Catriona (LittleBookOwl) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I really enjoyed this! Some stories I liked more than others, but it was nice to see what happened to Celaena leading up to Throne of Glass.
I would have liked to have seen more of her when she was younger and training, though.
Now, on to rereading Throne of Glass!
Angela
This review will be a little different from my others for several reasons. This is a series we are way too deep into for me to go over each character or plot. I won’t me writing a super detailed review for each one, just a small summary, my favorite quote, and the rating.

The Assassin's Blade is a bind up of five novellas for the Throne of Glass Series. I’m just going to say this right way... I wish I would have read this right after Throne of Glass. I wish I wouldn't have waited till I was four
Hailey (HaileyInBookland)
*reread nov 2015*

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOP
Whitney Atkinson
Nov 06, 2015 Whitney Atkinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
i dont want to talk about my feelings right now i need a couple weeks to process this
Maureen
Jul 17, 2015 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2014
This was such a wonderful book. It is 5 prequel novellas, but the novellas read as one story with small gaps between the stories. I loved every second of it and I loved learning more about Celaena!

Reread July 11-17, 2015 for #fivefaves

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH BUT IT ALSO BREAKS MY HEART BUT I LOVE IT SO. BLESS SJ MAAS BLESS HER FOR THESE AMAZINGLY FLESHED OUT NOVELLAS.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
12/31/16 - ON SALE for $2.99:

If I've said it once, I've said it ONE HUNDRED times: you NEED to read these prequels.

Nine out of ten people who didn't like ToG didn't read them, and based on the events of Empire of Storms, they're RELEVANT. As in, if you don't read them, you won't get the significance of certain people, places, and things, etc.

SO.

description

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

***Please be aware that while refraining from spoiling the specific novella I'm reviewing at the
Bangadybangz
Sep 27, 2015 Bangadybangz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually enjoyed this more than the first book! It was nice to get a little more insight into Celaena's history and learn how she came to be in the salt mines in the first place. All the novellas flow really well together too (except for The Assassin and the Healer; I feel like that one could have been taken out). Also it was cool to see Celaena actually BE an assassin (I haven't read anything else past the first book, so I don't know if she does later).
I just wish we could have had a scene (p
Sandra

“My name is Celaena Sardothien," she whispered, "and I will not be afraid.”

NOTE; Review unedited.

I have a question to the lovely Sarah J. Maas that i'm sure many fans demand the answer to...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Why would you do this to your fans!? Tear their heart out like that?! It ain't fair. I need a super glue to stick it back together now, but even then it will never be the same!

This is what sort of state you left me when i finished the awful last chapter and may i add this was quite literally how i looked li
Amber Robertson
“My name is Celaena Sardothien,” she whispered, “and I will not be afraid.”

The Assassin's Blade was a book I was nervous to go into. I have heard mixed reviews about The Throne of Glass series, ranging from people loving it to hating it which has resulted in me constantly pushing it back on my TBR.

Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised. I personally really enjoy Sarah J. Mass' writing. It is well done and engaging. Unfortunately, I did see a spoiler which meant that the ending of the last pre
Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things
No, I'm not ok. Rather than tell you how I feel, let me show you how I feel. Spoilers.

Sam. I cannot. I just cannot.

Was this a necessary read for the series? Yes. Does it make it any easier? No.

For those of you have a REALLY hard time with death in a book.. let me prepare you.
The ONLY way I was able to cope with this book was:

1. Chocolate
2. Tissues
3. Bookmarked moments from book 3 and 4 of TOG in order to go back and read happy moments of sweet, sweet justice.

That is all.

My Blog ~ Instagram
Celine Lindeskov
This is the kind of book that once you've read it, you'll need paper towels, cookies, chocolate and Google Images to find fanart of Celaena and Sam and the cry some more.
Oh, this book... It was amazing!
The writing was absolutely stunning and even though it was a collection of novellas, I felt like I was reading a novel, because the stories are chronologically and so beautifully woven together.
And it really scares me that Sarah J Maas was able to do this to me in five novellas; I cried... I cried
Cait • A Page with a View
"My name is Celaena Sardothien and I will not be afraid."

Well, that quote just got a whole lot more meaning to it.

I SURVIVED THIS BOOK! I was expecting a lot worse, honestly. I initially checked it out to see Sam since you hear so much about him in later books, but there really wasn't as much about him as I thought there would be. Or maybe I just braced for the worst. It's more about Celaena's twisted relationship with Arobynn than anything else. And THAT was enough to permanently mess anyone u
Candace
I absolutely loved these prequels to the 'Throne of Glass' series. Taking place during Celaena's years as an elite assassin working for her master, Arobynn, this grouping of prequels sheds a lot of light on the events that molded Celaena into the woman we met in 'Throne of Glass'. It is no wonder that she avoids relationships and entanglements. Her story was heartbreaking!

Celaena spends her time trying to run from a past that haunts her, while simultaneously trying to gain the love and approval
Sarah (Starry Night Reader)
The Assassin and the Pirate Lord- 4/5 stars

Celaena and Sam take down a pirate lord, and we get a glimpse of how Celaena received her reputation as one of the most notorious assassins in the kingdom. She is ridiculously arrogant, but considering that I know she later goes through a major character transformation, I'll forgive her. We also see the bourgeoning feelings between Celaena and Sam develop D: It seems to me like Arobynn is already behaving a bit shady

The Assassin and the Healer- 3/5 sta
Wendy Darling
I don't even care, I can't stop thinking about this book so I'm bumping my original 4.5 star rating to a 5. Plus it made me cry! I don't think another 2014 book has done that this year.

I cannot believe these were written as prequels, they give readers such an enormous breadth of understanding for Celaena's character and history, as well as enormous sympathy for what she's been through, faults and all.

And WHY have I never heard how amazing Sam is? <3 (view spoiler)
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Aug 22, 2016 April (Aprilius Maximus) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
First read May 2015
Reread August 2016

Still hurts.
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
The Assassin and the Pirate Lord.

4 stars!

Sam smiled, his brown eyes turning golden in the dawn. It was such a Sam look, the twinkle of mischief, the hint of exasperation, the kindness that would always, always make him a better person than she was.

I never usually read novellas, mostly because I'm perfectly happy with the information a book provides. I don't usually feel the need to read more, but the Throne of Glass series is different. More than once, Celaena mentioned missions she underwen
Lindsay Cummings
I love this series so much it kills me. Celaena+Sam=ugly crying
Jaclyn
Apr 19, 2015 Jaclyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"My name is Celeana Sardothien" she whispered. "And I will not be afraid."

This book shattered me...I've never gone into a book with so much love mixed with absolute dread definitely a different reading experience.
I purposely took my time reading this just because I wanted to spend more time with Sam and hold off on the heartbreaking ending we knew was coming...

SAM. SAM. SAM.

I loved him immediately and his relationship with Celeana was the cutest! They grew up together and really didn't
Zoë
Dec 20, 2014 Zoë rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the writing was beautiful (as is expected by the magical Sarah J. Maas), it took me more than two months to get through. Because it was a bind-up of novellas, every novella had to have a fulfilling ending which made the pace of the entire book feel slow and awkward and I couldn't fly through it the way I flew through the first two books. That is the only problem I had with the book, though, and although I knew how the story would end, it left me in tears!
Markus
Buddy read with Alexa & Athena!

"Life isn't easy, no matter where you are. You'll make choices you think are right, and then suffer for them."

Celaena Sardothien is the most skilled assassin on the continent. Years ago, when she was just an orphan living in the streets, she was recruited and trained by Arobynn Hamel, King of the Assassins. Throughout her teenage years, she rose in the ranks of the Assassin’s Guild to become Arobynn’s chosen successor, and turned into what she is now: the most
Pearl Angeli
Sep 19, 2015 Pearl Angeli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She was fire, she was darkness, she was dust and blood and shadow.

Absolutely fantastic and breathtaking! It’s hard not to love everything in The Assassin’s Blade. Even if it offered lots of achingly horrible events because of what happened to Celaena and how the book concluded, still, you could not deny the powerful and captivating effect that only Sarah J. Maas can convey.

The Assassin’s Blade is a series of prequel novellas including The Assassin and the Pirate Lord. etc etc… It basically e
☾Poppet

Maybe a 4.7 im not sure yet.

When i started this the only things that i knew was that it was a copilation of short stories and that there is an end with tears (well depends of the person you know but i sobbed).

I remember how a lot of people that read Throne of Glass were saying that they couldn’t see much of the old life of the protagoist so it was hard to tell or understand her feeling and her attitude or if she was just being dramatic about having an awful past. Well people for the ones that i
Melanie
I really wanted to read this novella bind-up in preparation for Empire of Storms! These five individual stories actually line up chronologically and tell a pretty fluent big story. I wasn't expecting that, so I was pleasantly surprised. Instead of five completely different and random stories, you get five different stories that build up together for one event that ends up being the start of Throne of Glass.

Overall, I really did enjoy this bind-up, but I enjoyed some stories much, much more than
Elesia
May 21, 2015 Elesia rated it it was amazing
My heart hurts right now but I'm so so glad I read this, it made me love Celaena even more and connect to her so much more, but god Sam Cortland. Why did you make me love you whyyyyyyyy.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Aug 17, 2016 April (Aprilius Maximus) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, 2015
nope nope nope nope
Anne
May 25, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it
Also reviewed for Addicted2Heroines

Sure, you could purchase each of these novellas separately, but why would you?
Besides, how can you say no to that cover!

Most of the time, the novellas connected with a series tend to give you insight into side characters, and maybe provide a bit of filler while you wait for the real books to come out.
Not so with this collection.
When read all together like this, it acts as another full book in the series. A prequel book, but a book, nonetheless.
Also, sometimes
Kate (GirlReading)
MY HEART HURTS...

4.25* the Assassin and the Underworld/The Assassin's Blade in it’s entirety.
This was fantastic. I loved delving into Celaena's past and finding out what made her who she is in the current series. It was intense, epic and heart breaking. I wasn't sure how much a collection of novellas would affect me but I loved it. Despite all the stories being separate, to me, this still very much felt like a full novel. I loved it!

4.5* The Assassin and the Pirate Lord ~ LOVED this. Pirates an
The Stars In The ...: TAB-Discussion 1 1 Dec 29, 2016 07:13PM
What order to read 3 11 Nov 20, 2016 07:57AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass 0.1-0.5) by Sarah J. Maas - Restarting September 18th 2016 214 204 Aug 29, 2016 09:09PM
Infatuated by Fic...: The Assassin's Blade 5 14 Jun 15, 2016 01:55PM
  • The Too-Clever Fox (The Grisha, #2.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Rebel Spring (Falling Kingdoms, #2)
  • Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5)
  • Sparks Rise (The Darkest Minds #2.5)
  • This Shattered World (Starbound, #2)
  • Leave the Window Open (The Archived, #2.5)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Corruption (Disruption, #2)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • Lion Heart (Scarlet, #3)
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too
More about Sarah J. Maas...

Throne of Glass (6 books)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
  • Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Untitled (Throne of Glass, #6)

“If you can learn to endure pain, you can survive anything. Some people learn to embrace it- to love it. Some endure it through drowning it in sorrow, or by making themselves forget. Others turn it into anger.” 423 likes
“She was fire, she was darkness, she was dust and blood and shadow.” 368 likes