Start by marking “One Past Midnight” as Want to Read:
One Past Midnight

One Past Midnight

Sabine isn't like anyone else. For as long as she can remember, she's had two lives. Every twenty-four hours she "shifts," living each day twice. In one life, Sabine has everything: popular friends, perfect grades, expensive clothes, and the guy everyone wants. In the other, Sabine's family struggles financially, and her friends are considered rebels. But then she meets Et ...more
Hardcover, Overseas edition, 343 pages
Published July 22nd 2014 by Bloomsbury Children's Books (first published May 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about One Past Midnight, please sign up.

Dilek VT
This was a very refreshing and unique read for me. I literally read it in one sitting. I just couldn’t put it down.

It is kind of paranormal, that can be interpreted as the life of a girl in two parallel dimensions.

Sabine has two lives. She describes her situation as follows:

“I am two people. Neither better than the other, no superpowers, no mystical destinies, no two-places-in-one-time mechanism – but two people. Different in ways fundamental, even though at the most basic level I look the same
Giselle
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, arc
Thought provoking and compelling, Between the Lives is a story about a girl with two lives. One is seemingly perfect, but the other has him…

At first this novel reminded me quite a bit of Lucid by Adrienne Stoltz and Ron Bass which I loved, but it ended up standing on its own. While Lucid was more about the mystery, this one is more about big choices and love and life. Often throughout this book I would stop and think about what I would do if I had two lives. Imagine the possibilities! Being abl
Anne

Also reviewed for Addicted2Heroines

Really interesting idea you have here, right? One girl. Two lives.
Verrry cool.
I think I would have rated it higher If I hadn't seen the ending coming from a mile away. Not that it's a bad ending! Far from it, but I just...knew it would happen. Exactly like it happened.
So I'm thinking that maybe I've just read too many books? Is that possible?
Nonsense! Sacrilege!
Hear me out before you burn me at the stake, though. I mean, we've pretty much determined t
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you HarperCollins Australia for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

'"I want to know that if I drift off to sleep by accident one day, I'll wake up in the same place. I want to live each day once, the best that I can live it.

A powerful book about love or life, Jessica Shirvington introduces readers once again to an intriguing and heart breaking world. While I felt there were somethings I wanted more depth i
Chloe
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aussie-author
Sometimes, just sometimes, I randomly pick a book off the shelf at the library. Sometimes I haven't even heard of the book - or the author. And sometimes, it turns out to be a 5 star read! This is one of those times.

Classed as YA, but I found it in the general fiction section. It certainly feels like a YA - but I enjoy YA every now and again, it definitely doesn't distract from the story. It's page-turning, gripping ..not in a thriller type way, but a "what choice is she going to make" way.

A yo
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always

Since this one was my first Jessica Shirvington novel, I really didn't know what to expect from this one. I was hoping for some intriguing, attention-grabbing mystery that would make me question the world and how it works... One Past Midnight gave me exactly what I wanted.

Sabine lived two lives. I was expecting to be a little confused, or maybe bored with at least one of her lives, but Shirvington definitely knows how to keep things exciting. Every little detail, ever scene from either
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review has been posted on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

As soon as Between the Lives turned up on my doorstep, I started reading it straight away. With such a unique and interesting premise, it captivated me from the moment I read the blurb and saw the cover.

Sabine is a teenager who lives two lives, each completely different to the other. In one life, she’s a rebel who has a less than perfect family, one who is poor and never impressed with her. In
Renée
Wow. Just wow. I finished Between The Lives about a minute ago, and I still have tears in my eyes. But then again, what's a good Shirvington book without the tears?
Once again, Jessica has managed to completely flip the ideas of the world upside down. Who else would have thought of such a deep and creative idea?
Sabine's story is one that is truly unique. There has been no other like it, much like with Jessica's other series. The way she has had to adjust to her world, or should I say worlds, to
Anna
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well now...that was breathtaking. ❤ ...more
Zoe
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Zoe by: Dre
This was not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it was entertaining, and, in the end, I suppose that's what matters. This was the first Jessica Shirvington book I have read, but I will definitely read more of her work if all of her novels are like this.

For as long as she can remember, Sabine has lived two separate lives which she "shifts" between every 24 hours. In one life (Wellesley), she's a straight A student with an acceptance to Harvard with a supportive and lov
Allyce Cameron
Wow! What a great read! At the beginning Sabine annoyed me and I found it a little hard to relate but as it progressed I found that I just couldn't stop and had to know which life she would choose. And the ending! I think it definitely pushed it over the line for me from being good to something that I would recommend to others. Well done!
K.
Trigger warnings: self harm, vomit, mental health, assault, cancer, death of a loved one.

I have literally had like a dozen students tell me to read this over the past two years. So when no one had borrowed it over the summer break, I figured I'd finally read it. Aaaaaaaaaaaand NOPE. Like, THE BIGGEST NOPE TO EVER NOPE.

I'm just going to go ahead and bullet point my thoughts because it's easier.

- This is kind of like Every Day by David Levithan, except that 18 year old Sabine just jumps between
Dre
It was a slow start, but it picked up after Ethan showed up. I was expecting an explanation about this two lives aspect. I wanted more. I expected the ending, but I was anticipating a different one. (Full review to come)

The perfect life or the perfect love. You choose.

Between The Lives or One Past Midnight is my first Jessica Shirvington novel, so I was quite excited to dive into the story. Based on the tagline of the book, I was instantly intrigued. Who wouldn't be interested to find out how th
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
Let’s get it out of the way: I loved this book. It made me smile, it made me cry, it made me laugh, it made me think, it pretty much checked every single emotional box. There were characters I loved, characters I hated, and pretty much every imaginable character in between.

Sabine lives two lives, switching between them every 24 hours. No one else knows that she lives both lives, and she is careful to keep them separate. In one life, she comes from a wealthy family, is popular, and has the seemin
Louisa
(Actual rating: 3.5 stars)

Those last few chapters COMPLETELY DESTROYED ME. Thanks, Aussie YA authors, for constantly making me have all of the feelings!

Between the Lives is an interesting take on the "You only live once" school of thought. We all know that. But Sabine literally cannot #YOLO - because she lives two lives, in two slightly different worlds, in completely different circumstances, wholly under the control of something she refers to as the Shift. At midnight every night, she Shifts to
Hulya Kara Yuksel
I cried at the end. Damn, it was beautiful! :)
Tanja
I was sure that I was gonna love this book. After all, it's about a girl (Sabine) who has two lives; she lives one for 24 hours and than she shifts to the other. She's been like that for as long as she can remember. But something has changed now - when she breaks her arm in one life, she thinks it's gonna be broken in her other life too, but then she shifts and her arm is fine. So she thinks she may be able to die in one life and keep living the other. All she has to do is pick a life.

Sabine is
Summer
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thank you Bloomsbury for sending me this copy, which did not affect my review in any way.

Beware of slightly unintelligible gushing and if you hear a fangirl sobbing in the distance, that's probably me.

Sabine is a high school senior in her last weeks of school. She lives two lives; one that is seemingly flawless, while the other is - flawed, to say the least. After an unfortunate butt-in-the-air accident, Sabine finds that her physical body is only affected in one life, and not in the other. She
Çavlan
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you're interested in parallel worlds and alternate realities, then this one is for you. Great concept, very interesting storyline, compelling characters and the writing is fantastic. Maybe the twist at the end is a little bit predictable but all in all the ending is very satisfying. It might be one of the best YA books I've read this year.
Doğa
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAN TANRIM! AMAN TANRIM! AMAN TANRIM!!!!
O SON NEYDİ YA?!!
Rashika (is tired)
Actual Rating 3.5

After being disappointed by Just like Fate, I decided to pick up Between the Lives which had a similar concept. I was hoping to prove (to myself) that books that are based on this concept didn't all have to turn out bad, and I was right. This book provided me with a very interesting journey, and I was all set to give it a four until the last couple pages.

I am going to start off by saying that while the main character wasn't always likeable, she had a strong voice. Sometimes it
Amanda
Between the Lives by Jessica Shirvington is set in Roxbury and in Wellesley, Massachusetts. I haven’t read any of Jessica’s previous books, but when this was offered for review it sounded too intriguing to turn down. In both lives she’s eighteen years old and named Sabine. In one life she lives in Roxbury, Boston, with her younger sister, Maddie, and her two hard-working parents. In her other life she lives in Wellesley, Massachusetts with her recently divorced mother, and she has two older brot ...more
Aya
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book's about a girl, named Sabine, who was born twice, in two parallel worlds, juggling between her two lives thinking it was a common thing. Until the day she realises she was actually alone in this.
Not being able to share her newly discovered secret with anyone, fearing to be misjudged, she went on with her lives, "shifting" every 24 hours at midnight and simply accepting the fact that there was nothing she could do about it. But fate decided otherwise. Sabine accidentally broke her arm
Bookylicious
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was what I needed at the moment. I couldn't put it down. Totally a page turner. The writing style was not quite the best I read but it was totally ok for me because the plot was unquestionably unique. However it was toooo short. I needed more. I needed more time with ethan and sabines love. Maybe that was how it should be I don't know. Maybe the writer chose to write this way because of her 2 lives. I couldn't quite feel their love.
Sabine has 2 totally different lifes. She shifts lifes
Abbie
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

Between the Lives started out okay, but i quickly lost interest.

I didn't really like Sabine.
She could be quite annoying, and was really stupid for the majority of the book.
When she done her experiments, she wondered if her injuries would show up in her other life... but she didn't think about what would happen when she switched back to the life she did the experiments in.

The storyline was slow and predictable.
I was bored throu
Rebecca
Actual Rating: 2.5

The premise was amazing but not so much the execution. I really liked the Disruption duology but I struggled a lot with this one. It was a quick read and not terrible but sadly not as awesome as I hoped.
Necla
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves
yOK BÖYLE BİR KİTAP GERÇEKTEN YA SANIRIM SADECE BİR GÜN'DEN SONRAKİ FAVORİ KİTABIM OLDU OKUYUN, OKUTUN YANİ
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jessi (Novel Heartbeat) by: Crystal | decorating.reader
Shelves: books-i-own, 4-star

"I want to know that if I drift off to sleep by accident one day, I'll wake up in the same place. I want to live each day once, the best that I can live it."

What an interesting concept!! This book was unlike anything I've ever read before! I loved the idea of it, and I couldn't put it down. How terrible would it be to fall asleep at night and wake up as someone else the next day, day in and day out?! I can't even imagine!

This book was mostly a contemporary slash romance, with sci-fi elements. I
Dark Faerie Tales
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Emotional story that has wonderful romance, interesting characters, and a great life message. This is a great read that I think all young adult fans will enjoy!

Opening Sentence: I am a liar.

The Review:

Sabine is a unique girl that happens to live everyday twice. Every 24 hours at midnight she goes through a shift and she switches between two different lives. In one life she is popular, smart, driven, and comes from a rich family with divorced
Sourour  Chek
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the concept and the idea it was the first time that I read a story that have 2 parallèle worlds ..i was intrigued when I read the blurb at first I didn't think that it would be a good story just because I was afraid of the shifting between those 2 completely complex lifes but the writer managed to make it looked effortless and simple.

• Inheritance (Inheritance #1)
  • All This Could End
  • The Sky So Heavy
  • The Accident
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • Steal My Sunshine
  • The Last Girl (The Last Trilogy #1)
  • Angel Arias (Night Creatures, #2)
  • Cry Blue Murder
  • The Mimosa Tree
  • Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • The Cinderella Moment
  • Lucien (Silvermay, #3)
  • The Whole of My World
  • Night Beach
  • Cracked
  • The Minnow
  • Run To You Part II: Second Glance
Jessica Shirvington is the author of THE VIOLET EDEN CHAPTERS also known as THE EMBRACE SERIES, stand alone novel, BETWEEN THE LIVES and has an exciting new duology called DISRUPTION on the way in 2014.

An entrepreneur, author, and mother living in Sydney, Australia, Jessica is also a 2011 & 2012 finalist for Cosmopolitan’s annual Fun, Fearless Female Award. She’s also one of the lucky few who
“You said you wanted someone to know you. Maybe I just want to have someone know me too. Without you in this world, the memories of every moment we’ve shared together will be gone. We only exist because others see us. Part of my existence...an important part, only exists because you are here to see it.” 52 likes
My Sabine,
I just left your room. You were so beautiful lying there sound asleep that I couldn’t bear to wake you. But I’m not feeling so great and there are things I promised to tell you that I fear I may not get the chance to.
I know you had once hoped that I would be the one to pass on your letters to Maddie once you were gone. But, as it turns out, I think it is going to be me who ends up leaving the letters behind.
Be mad at me. You should. But after that try to understand that I did what I thought was best. I wanted to tell you. So many times I snuck down to your room planning on telling you everything, but I just couldn’t.
Partly it was for you – yes. You needed time and I didn’t want to influence your choices, even once I realised what was happening between us, even more so then. Falling in love with you only made those choices more complicated and I feared that you might choose to stay for me and then, after I was gone, change your mind. I couldn’t let that happen.
Partly the choice was selfish, and for that I am sorry. For so long now people have been trying to fix me, but where they failed, you succeeded. You’ve given me more life in the last couple of weeks that I’ve had in years. Being with you, loving you, making memories with you, fearing for you, wanting to show you the beauty of life instead of the terror – it was bittersweet, but more importantly Sabine, it was real.
I know this is the part when I beg you to go on, live your life and be happy. But I don’t need to say those things. I know you. Your lives will be extraordinary. You certainly made mine feel that way.
Please find it in your heart to forgive me one day. I wish we had more time, but I want to thank you – for giving me life in my time of death.
My love for you is eternal.
Ethan.