Start by marking “The Family Cooks: 100+ Recipes to Get Your Family Craving Food That's Simple, Tasty, and Incredibly Good for You” as Want to Read:

For families, eating right has become a monumental challenge. Cultural messages convince us that we no longer have time to cook, and food marketers spend billions persuading us that packaged, processed food is convenient, satisfying . . . and the key to happiness. Half of all our meals are now eaten outside the home. The result? Skyrocketing rates of heart disease and diab ...more
Published April 22nd 2014 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about The Family Cooks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Family Cooks

Leah
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
For folks who cook regularly and need a jolt of inspiration, and for folks who want make cooking a part of their routine, Laurie David's new cookbook is just the thing. Not quite as chatty as The Family Dinner, it is laid out as a more traditional 'one page, one recipe' cookbook. This is not a general reference or how to cook everything, but a point of departure, filled with useful information and great ideas.
Pamela Van Arsdale
Great reinforcement of the adage that "you are what you eat." Like Moss' " Salt, Sugar, Fat" this book reminds us that the big food companies and their chemists and advertisers all have a huge impact on what we choose to buy and consume. I like the simple, basic approach here. I'm not sure I can convert my family but I'm going to give it a try!
Liz
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I checked this out from the library mostly because I wanted some healthy recipes that I could con my kids into eating. Here's the rub, I have two picky eaters, but both go different ways. I have one who has always been borderline vegetarian, she consumes very little meat, but likes seafood. The other hates seafood, raw tomatoes (but will eat them cooked, weirdo) and anything that "looks too healthy." No, I'm not quite sure what that means, that's just what I'm told. They're teenagers by the way. ...more
Julie H.
I read a lot of cookbooks, share recipes regularly, and spend a lot of time planning and prepping meals. Nothing annoys me more than a cookbook that places things out of sequence (not the case here) or has photos that totally contradict the very instructions posted on the previous page (compare the text on p. 182 for ravioli cupcakes to the photo opposite on p. 183). I must also confess to being perplexed by a cookbook author who is not the author of the recipes in the book (that credit goes to ...more
Maria
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I am living in this cookbook these days. I wanted something simple, healthy but fun and inspiring and this book totally nails it. The recipes are very simple but also have a sense of whimsy that makes it fun to play with them. As someone who is pretty constitutionally incapable of sticking to a recipe I also love that almost every recipe has bulleted lists at the bottom of modifications to try. It makes it seem much more experimental and fun. Plus there are tons of beautiful color photographs. I ...more
This is a beautiful book, full of artful photos and printed on paper that feels good to touch. I like to eat this way and when I put this on hold at the library I was already anticipating buying it. However, that won't be the case. While all the recipes sounded good (with the exception of the dishes that contain tofu, which is just something I've never warmed up to, and the now-requisite raw kale recipes - for the love of butter, what's wrong with sauteing a vegetable??? If it needs to be massag ...more
Marathon County Public Library
This cookbook is a wonderful resource for anyone looking for healthy recipes to try, whether for kids, a significant other, or just for yourself. An introduction includes compelling information for anyone interested in the hidden and un-healthy additions to the food much of America is eating. What follows is a beautifully made cookbook with tasty recipes, kid-friendly tips, and healthy ideas that you can trust are good for you.

Sarah M. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our libra
Julie
The tone of this book is so overly preachy and self-righteous, it's almost unreadable. I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years and consider myself to be health-conscious. I am always looking for ways to eat more healthfully, however. But this is way over the top. You can actually imagine the author looking down her nose at you and sniffing as she sees the AP flour and "processed" ingredients in your pantry. Look, there is a way to promote and encourage healthy eating without sounding snobbish ...more
Phaedra
While I really enjoyed The Family Dinner by Laurie David (and was hoping for something similar in this book), this book felt overly preachy, had very little to offer in recipes I would use (that I couldn't get in another more well-rounded cookbook), and was missing some of the very things I loved most about the first one- the practical tidbits offered of how to get dinner on the table! No conversation starters, no prep sheets..
bleh. Disappointing. If you hadn't read this information somewhere el
Jenny K
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I like that this book has lots of fresh recipes that are quick to cook. The authors add nice suggestions of ways to get kids involved in the cooking of the dishes. They also add several suggestions for each recipe on ways to personalize the dish, add or subtract ingredients based on your tastes. I disagree that soy is a healthful ingredient though, and there is quite a bit of tofu used in the recipes. However, most could be easily changed out for your protein of choice.
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This cookbook is a fantastic resource for anyone looking for healthy recipes to try, whether for kids, a significant other, or just for yourself. An introduction includes compelling information for anyone interested in the hidden and un-healthy additions to the food much of America is eating. What follows is a beautifully made cookbook with tasty recipes, kid-friendly tips, and healthy ideas that you can trust are good for you.
Karen
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can't recall a time when I've read a cookbook from cover to cover, which is why it's getting 4 stars from me. Checked this one out from the library hoping to find some simply good-for-you recipes. Going shopping this weekend to try some things and will come back to update review to let you know how it went as well as the rating, if it needs to be changed.
Andrea
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found this book very inspiring. Reminding me that homemade is best and get rid of all the pre-made junk. Inspiring me to get the kids more involved in the kitchen. Recipes look amazing and the ones I've made so far I love. Yummy banana muffins and fantastic carrot miso salad dressing. A great read for anyone wanting to raise good eaters. So much more than a cookbook. A keeper book for sure!
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, kindle
Lots of great info from the film Fed Up, plus some great basic recipes. Not so sure how the kids would like these, but I would definitely make them for weeknight dinners for Joe and me. Some good "staple" recipes, too, to wean you off processed versions. I like the chatty, friendly tone; it reminds me of Mollie Katzen.
Ariste Egan
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An amazing cookbook full of excellent, healthy and creative recipes that I will use over and over again. I love the "ready, set, go" introduction and the "play with it" variations that accompany the delicious recipes. This is truly a handbook for all moms who are looking for fresh, healthy and delicious "go-to" recipes.
Nat
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
I got this from the library yesterday. Lovely presentation, but I made the mistake - unintentionally - of skimming a bit of the intro text that precedes the recipes. It was as judgey as I'd suspected. Eating well is its own reward; I don't feel it's something people should feel coerced or shamed into doing. Anyway, I'm still hoping for a couple of recipes or ideas. Let's see!
Joan
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving this book - just pulled it off the library shelf yesterday and have loved reading through the recipes. It's the kind of book that makes you feel like several of these dishes are going to become regular staples. I can't wait to start cooking!!
Brittany Blankenship
This book is excellent. I rented it from the library and decided less than half way through that it was something I needed to purchase. Great looking recipes and lots of information to use for reference over and over again. Buying tomorrow!!
lisa
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Some smug advice. some lame-ish recipes, a lot of filler that you could find on any decent website. NOT a cookbook I will be using on a regular basis.
Toni
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Love the recipes. I have made the granola, ravioli lasagne, quinoa salad, tofu broccoli, and the peasant soup. All have been excellent. It is a good read even if it is someones life soap box.
Desiree
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! Great healthy recipes that I adapted to fit my desire to increase the amount of vegetables that I eat. Really wonderful
Amy
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My rating, at this moment, is based on how easy and fun it was to read through all the recipes. Will update once I have tasted some of the recipes contained within the book :)
Milinda
Most of the recipes are doable. I think the family will like them. The first few chapters are the best part of the book.
Tamara
May 14, 2014 added it
excellent family cookbook, lots of great tips for kids.
Marianthi
Jan 31, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Yuck
Rachel
Aug 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVED the recipes, and all I tried came out, but the tone was a dealbreaker for me. So preachy. :/ I wish she had let the recipes speak for themselves.
Emily
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found some recipes that I will probably use and it was practical, but a bit on the preachy side. I don't except a cookbook to tell me how to parent. With that said, I will use it in my kitchen.
Kris
May 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lovely photos and info - recipes are too "out there" for this family.
Keishua
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
easy, affordable and adaptable recipes.
Elizabeth
Aug 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • One Good Dish
  • Real Snacks: Make Your Favorite Childhood Treats Without All the Junk
  • Small Plates and Sweet Treats: My Family's Journey to Gluten-Free Cooking
  • The Longevity Kitchen: Satisfying, Big-Flavor Recipes Featuring the Top 16 Age-Busting Power Foods
  • The Can't Cook Book: Recipes for the Absolutely Terrified!
  • The Forest Feast: Simple Vegetarian Recipes from My Cabin in the Woods
  • Home Made Winter
  • Hungry Girl 300 Under 300: 300 Breakfast, Lunches & Dinner Dishes Under 300 Calories
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • Preserving by the Pint: Quick Seasonal Canning for Small Spaces
  • Try This at Home: Recipes from My Head to Your Plate
  • The Art of Simple Food II: Recipes, Flavor, and Inspiration from the New Kitchen Garden
  • The Heart of the Plate: Vegetarian Recipes for a New Generation
  • Lucid Food: Cooking for an Eco-Conscious Life
  • Homemade: How-to Make Hundreds of Everyday Products Fast, Fresh, and More Naturally
  • Fresh from the Farm: A Year of Recipes and Stories
  • Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook
  • Bi-Rite Market's Eat Good Food: A Grocer's Guide to Shopping, Cooking & Creating Community Through Food
Laurie David is a media savvy powerhouse. She founded the Stop Global Warming Virtual March, produced the Academy Award-winning documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, and launched the Stop Global Warming College Tour with Sheryl Crow. She’s been featured on the Oprah Winfrey Show, Today, and Good Morning America; is a regular contributor to the Huffington Post, and is author of The Down-to-Earth Guid ...more