Start by marking “Neighbors” as Want to Read:

Rena Woods has a great life. She recently landed the contract to decorate the home of basketball wife, Cecilia Hood, her business is growing, and this contract could make her the elite decorator in St. Louis. Rena's sacrificed her personal life for her company without a single regret. When Staff Sergeant C.J. Riker moves in across the hall, Rena can't stand to be around hi ...more
Published November 11th 2013 by Entangled: Select Contemporary

To ask other readers questions about Neighbors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neighbors

The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyThe Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle HodkinWhere She Went by Gayle Forman
Books That Give Me Chills
28th out of 28 books — 8 voters
Wonderfully Wicked by C.J. BurrightCrux by Julie ReeceResistance by Stephanie JudiceThirteen Reasons Why by Jay AsherLegendary by L.H. Nicole
Best Covers with Faces
59th out of 61 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Brunette Librarian
Oct 27, 2013 Brunette Librarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Check out the full review at The Brunette Librarian's Blog

Rena is unimpressed when ex-Marine C.J. Riker moves in across the hall from her. A serious interior designer in St. Louis, Rena is working hard to build her business and she just doesn’t have time for the new surly neighbor. Over laundry and a few boring evenings, Rena finds that there may be more to her neighbor than a bad attitude.
Riker has moved to St. Louis after several tours in the Marines. Horribly hurt during an attack, Riker h
J.A. Belfield
Nov 09, 2013 J.A. Belfield rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
4·5 stars
There's nothing quite like a heartwarming novella to pick up your spirits when the winter temps start to kick in. I enjoyed this one a lot.
One of the first things I noticed about L.S. Murphy’s Neighbors was how fulfilling a story it was for only a novella; it didn’t read for a minute as something only 65 pages long.
Rena is a great MC. She’s a little feisty from the off, a no-nonsense kind of gal, but not without her vulnerabilities, self-uncertainties, and on top of that she has a carin
DelAnne Frazee
ISBN-13: 9781622663743
Pages: 65
Genre: Romance
Tags: Contemporary

Rena Woods, Interior Designer on the rise, is late to an appointment with her most influential client when she finds her car is blocked by a moving truck. She marches to the truck and demands that it be moved immediately. Staff Sargent C J Riker climbs out of the truck to berate Rena that he ca
Nov 23, 2013 Sapphyria rated it really liked it
Location: St. Louis, Missouri

Rena Woods is the owner of Rena Woods Designs. As she left her apartment to meet a client she was slowed up by a moving van parked in her way. After dealing with the stubborn driver of the van, clearly a military man used to barking orders and getting his own way, Rena is finally on the road to her appointment. She is not at all looking forward to having that guy as the neighbor if he is indeed the one moving in.

C.J. Riker is a Staff Sargent (3rd Battalion 24th Marin
Nov 14, 2013 Jillian rated it really liked it
You can also find my review on my blog:

Neighbors is a novella from author L.S. Murphy and is the first work I have read from her. I really enjoyed it!

When Rena meets Riker, it’s not exactly in the best of circumstances. She needs him to move his truck so she can move her car. She’s annoyed with him and he’s annoyed with her. Well, the circumstances don’t get much better and it seems like every time they see on another it’s not exactly a pleasant exchange.
Katelyn (Tales of Books and Bands)
Rena is sassy and fun, Riker is a bit moody but also swoon-worthy, and while their story was short, it was still a great read!

Rena’s personality made this book. She was feisty, snarky, and hilarious. She has this way of saying and doing things that just totally entertained me.

Riker wasn’t so easy to like at the beginning but in a way that is totally understandable. He is recently released from the military due to losing his leg. He is not only learning to deal with his injury but he is also stru
Erika Beebe
Dec 11, 2013 Erika Beebe rated it it was amazing
I loved Neighbors. Perfect Title. Perfect writing. I shall just call Ms. Murphy a painter of character. She builds them, filling them with real life, and sprinkles the scenes at just the right time with a bit of humor. Read on as I touch on a few of my favorite things.

The Good.
Character Chemistry. There is a balance of just enough romance to bring a bit of blush to the cheeks while leaving the right amount of imagination to the reader. In my eyes, you hit it on the dot, Ms. Murphy.

The Great.
Cheryl Sanders
Nov 08, 2013 Cheryl Sanders rated it it was amazing
Gotta love a man in a uniform! Riker is a Marine who lost his leg in battle. Rena is the interior decorator with the super sexy Marine for a neighbor. He irritates her with his gruff manner and defensive attitude. She fascinates him with her argumentative ways. Read this fabulous short story about these neighbors and how they find their way towards each other.

This was a feel good story about a guy that was injured in war and how he's dealing with it and his attraction to his new neighbor. It's a
Tory Michaels
Nov 07, 2013 Tory Michaels rated it really liked it
I really liked this little book. Rena’s great because she doesn’t let any heat off Riker just because he’s got an artificial leg, and they do not have a pleasant first meeting. For the most part, I don’t really have any complaints with this book. It was a solid entry and it paid due tribute to the members of the military. The only thing I didn’t really like was how secretive Riker was up to the very end when he gets Rena to go to a military ceremony with him and he flat-out lies about the purpos ...more
Nov 21, 2013 Irene rated it really liked it
Shelves: galley-arc
3.5 stars rounding up to 4 stars

Neighbours was a quick and fulfilling read.
For a novella I found the storyline was well paced and characters were believable. The author L.S Murphy has done a great job in giving us a heartwarming story.

I really liked Riker, he comes across as this hardass guy in the beginning who enjoys making life for Rena unbearable but once we start learning more about him and what he has been through you can't help but fall for him :)
With time and patience Rena helps Riker t
Nov 11, 2013 CassandraG rated it really liked it
Shelves: entangled
Short Novella about a designer who lives across the hall from a one legged marine that’s a bit unruly at times and she can’t stand him because he comes across as a jerk. But she eventually gets to know him and tears down just a few walls and they eventually become really close. If you like short, military novellas you’ll like this. But if, Riker and Rena ever get a full length novel, it’ll be worth it. Josh was a hoot and when Rena met Josh’s sister, the claws came out when the sister started hi ...more
Deeana Galindo
Nov 19, 2013 Deeana Galindo rated it it was amazing
I was in love with moody Riker from the moment he steeped out of the moving truck & Rena, how can you not appreciate a woman who stands her ground. I loved how they had an instant attraction but how we were able to see the relationship developer. Josh, Riker funny roommate and fellow Marine added a hilarious touch to the story. If i did not already have a deep appreciation for for all people who serve our country so we can be free this certainly gave me an added appreciation. All together i ...more
Romantic Reads and Such
Nov 13, 2013 Romantic Reads and Such rated it really liked it
The characters seemed so real, almost like friends instead of fictional characters, and their relationship developed in a very real life manner. Neighbors is sweet, sassy and funny. It is the perfect length with the right amount detail to tell a complete and touching love story in a tiny little package. Full review available at http://romanticreadsandsuch.wordpress...
Melissa Kendall
Nov 13, 2013 Melissa Kendall rated it really liked it
I am totally a sucker for a war hero and Riker is my favourite kind. A little PTSD a lot of attitude and sexy as hell. It doesn't surprise me at all that Rena fell for Riker even though his tough exterior was a little hard to crack.

Overall i give this 4 out of 5
Nov 25, 2013 Cerian rated it liked it
Originally published at Rookie Romance.

This novella is short and sweet, but it wasn't as developed in some areas as much as I would have liked.

The characters are well developed for such a short story. Riker is a super hot marine, who starts out with an abrasive attitude and acts like an asshole towards Rena. But it's not long before we see the real Riker underneath his surliness. He's sweet and a genuinely nice guy, he just doesn't want people to see just his disability.
Rena is great, she's feis
Dec 14, 2014 Angie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC through NetGalley.

Neighbors is a romantic novella that just didn't work for me. It's not bad, just not for me. It's all about Rena, an interior designer, who loses her biggest client yet. She's also got a new neighbor, Riker, who isn't the most pleasant fellow around. Of course, Rena tries to drown her sorrows in whiskey, Riker takes her back to his place since he can't get her back into hers, and from there they start to get to know each other and flirt a lot. Enemies to lover
Full review to be posted on my blog, Becky on Books.

Neighbors was a pleasant way to spend an hour reading, but it didn’t go much beyond that. Though I liked the characters and enjoyed their interactions, I didn’t ever feel a deep connection to them and their problems. Part of it is no doubt the fact that this is a very short read–knowing more about the characters and their backgrounds definitely would have made me feel more invested in their struggles–but overall, it just didn’t pack much of a “
Melody  May (What I'm Reading)
Posted What I'm Reading

Rating 3 1/2 Stars

All right, I just finished Neighbors by L.S. Murphy. I must say that it was a really cute read. At the beginning you have Rena Woods who's running a little late for work and she meets the new neighbors, Riker and his buddy. Let's just go with the fact that Riker and Rena didn't hit off right away. As the story progresses they start to become friends.

As I said a cute read, but I think this novella was a bit too short. The story has great potential, but I
Zoe Dewing
Jan 16, 2014 Zoe Dewing rated it it was ok
ARC from Net Galley for honest review

Perfect book if you're looking for a quick read. I've not read of any the Entangled Flirts range before so I thought I'd have a go.

The flow of writing in a few places felt off and slightly disjointed and I just wasn't feeling the chemistry between Rena and Riker. Their relationship felt a bit forced.

Just as things pick up the story ends, if there was a little more development on the romance side I think I would have enjoyed it a little more.

There is the pot
Nov 20, 2013 Lea rated it liked it
This was a cute story and not a bad way to spend a lunch hour. This is a story about two people who start off on the wrong foot but manage to forge a friendship anyway. These two had great chemistry and I really enjoyed watching their friendship grow. I would have liked to see their romanced developed a bit more and gotten more background on both of them but that would have required a longer story. The end was a bit abrupt and I would have liked to have seen an epilogue. I did enjoy the story th ...more
Neighbors was a great story about two people that really needed each other. Rena has lost herself in running her own business and Riker has just returned from the war with a severe injury that is healing. His wounds aren't all physical and it takes a lot to bring the two of the together. L.S. Murphy manages to pack quite a bit in the little novella, but I had a bit of a hard time relating to the characters. I did enjoy the storyline and there were a couple scenes that really packed an emotional ...more
Nov 16, 2013 Janet rated it liked it
This was a short read, a bit too short for my taste. Novellas are a difficult format, and though the story is really strong in this one, the character development was missing something for me. I wanted the character's background more fleshed out. Perhaps because some of the storyline was dependent upon the character's hidden past experiences, I needed more info sooner to make the connections. The premise, however was excellent, the settings well drawn and the pacing quite even.
*I received my co
Roz ~ My Written Romance
A fairly quick read, however it was entertaining. Neighbors is a sweet, gentle romance, and perfect to while away an hour or so.

It could have been a really good full novel as well, but for a short story, Neighbors worked well.
Received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

A very cute novella that gave us 2 very likeable characters. I loved how matter-of-fact Rena was about Riker's injury and how she took everything in her stride.
Leeza rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2013
Sophia rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Annie Herron
Annie Herron rated it did not like it
Dec 07, 2014
Ana Valenzuela
Ana Valenzuela rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2014
Jessica rated it liked it
May 24, 2014
Kirsten rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2013
L.S. Murphy lives in the Greater St. Louis area where she watches Cardinals baseball, reads every book she can find, and weaves tales for teens and adults. When not doing all of the above, she tends to The Bean (aka her daughter), her husband and a menagerie of pets.

She is a member of Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) and the St. Louis Writer’s Guild.

More about L.S. Murphy...