Start by marking “Britton (The Awakening, #3)” as Want to Read:
Britton (The Awakening, #3)

Britton (The Awakening #3)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  56 reviews
I would lick that man up one side and down the other.

Published November 25th 2013 by Covet

To ask other readers questions about Britton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Britton

Nicky Peacock
Okay, so I’ve said before how the whole ‘soul mate’ thing in shifter books can be a bit of an easy option for authors – I mean, there’s no real hard graft to get your two main characters together – they’re instantly in love. And to be fair the ‘Awakening’ series is all about when a shifter finds their true love and what happens, so I was briefed on this before reading the book. What I didn’t expect though was for it to really work! There are so many twists and turns that the author has you guess ...more
Holly
This has a good blend of paranormal, suspense and romance. I really enjoyed the world, the conflict and the main characters. This is my first book by Niles, but it won't be my last.
Miriam
***Received from Entangled Publishing for an honest review***

I was incredibly surprised by the balance of romance, suspense, and paranormal in this book. Ms. Niles writes about two shifters--Val, a half-shifter, and Britton, a shifter who's been stripped of his shifter abilities as punishment for twenty years--who have this deep and intense dislike for each other yet are stuck working together to find a missing boy.

In the beginning, I wondered how any kind of relationship was possible between Br
Donna
This is the third and in my not so humble opinion the best so far in Abby Niles The Awakening series. This is an enemies to lovers type tale. Val has benefited by Britton’s demotion but can’t figure out why the ladies man find her so detestable. Whenever they are in the same room he is antagonistic to her but nobody else. So she gives as good as she gets. Britton doesn’t like the guy he is towards Val but can’t seem to help himself. Now they are going to have to work together to save a child and ...more
Angie
I received an ARC through NetGalley.

Britton was my favorite of this series. It has a true enemies-to-lovers romance which I adored! Britton is literally repulsed by Val. He cannot stand to be around her or talk to her. Whenever they're in close proximity, he can't get away from her fast enough. It's actually quite obvious why this is the case, even if it takes him most of the book to figure it out. Anyway. The two are assigned to find a missing shifter child, and spend a lot of time in close pro
Carrie
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I've been eager to read this one ever since being introduced to Val and Britton. I knew there was a great story between them and this book proved me right. Something about the love/hate dynamic twisting to a lustful romp made for a wonderful read.

Val is a by the book, strict leader of SPAC, who never misses a chance to rub that fact in Britton's face. Britton is a shifter who has been forced to remain in human form for 20 years as p
Erin
This was my first read from The Awakening series, and I was definitely impressed. I do so love getting lost in a great shifter paranormal story, and Abby Niles had me completely gone over the sexy angry beast that was Britton Townsend! The tension (both good and bad) between him and the understandably baffled victim of his anger, Val Calhoun, was thick enough to swipe a jaguar claw through; with an intriguing plot and twists that had my heart racing tossed in the mix, I was hooked!

Right off the
Diana
Dec 15, 2013 Diana rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc
ARC for an honest opinion
orginally on ramblingsfromthischick.com
Detective Britton Townsend is a sexy lead detective for Shifter Protection and Concealment (SPAC) of the Carnal Ridge police station. He is used to having all the women surrounding him drool over him. Val Calhoun could care less for all the steamy comments made about Britton.
Although the members of the High Council do not associate with the SPAC, a situation occurs where Val and Britton are forced to work together. Val replaced Bri
Crystal
I was given a copy of this book in place of an honest review.

This is the third book that I have read in this series and I love every single one of them. We got to see a little of Britton and Val in the other stories. In the last one they were working on the case together. We really never knew why Britton had his shifting abilities taken away but in this book we finally get to the bottom of things.

Val Calhoun is a half-shifter who is the lead in the SPAC. She took the job over four years ago when
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
Farrah
A lovely paranormal romance, The Awakening: Britton was a fantastic read. It had sweet and steamy romance, surprises, and a mystery. I really enjoyed reading this wonderful book.

Val was a good heroine. At first, she was a bit shrewish because, whenever she was with Britton and his insults, the claws came out. But, as the book went on and they began to resolve their issues, we see the nicer side of her and she became very likable. She was strong, fiercely protective of those she loved, and determ
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
This was an original story about the world of shifters living among the human's. The police department has two groups of policemen working for them; Humans & Shifters. Working separately on different types of crimes, side by side, but humans are unaware...

In the shifter world, a small child is abducted from a group home for mutated shifters (kids shifting without control of their wolf). These kids are separated from their parents until late teenage years...

The shifter community is angry ove
My Book Addiction and More MBA
The Awakening: Britton by Abby Niles is the third book in her Awakening series. The hallmark of the series is taking a hard look at the mating concept in paranormal romance and all the ways it can go wrong. This book is set up very well in the second book, where it promised quite a story. Britton delivers in every way. While many aspects of the plot are centered around more traditional paranormal concepts, this is without question the best of the three.

Britton loathes Val. Not only has she been
Kay Naughty Book Snitch
I was very unsure of this book when I started reading it. The blurb sounded good but with paranormal being my least favorite genre, I was cautious.

In Carnal Ridge, yes that's the name of the town, they have a shifter police department. Val is a half-shifter, meaning she can't shift. That power is only for the males of the species. She inherited the position of being in charge after the leader at that time was demoted. His name is Britton and he is a full shifter. Oh, and they hate each other. W
Sandy

BRITTON is the third instalment in Abby Niles contemporary, paranormal romance series-The Awakening. The series should be read in order as some of the current timeline references history and premises from the previously storylines. This is jaguar shifter Britton Townsend and half-shifter Val Calhoun’s story.

The focus of the story is the search for a missing child-a mutant shifter-one who has shifted before his time; a shifter with uncontrolled shifts that has the capability of exposin
Claudia
This is the third book in the “The Awakening” series and is about Britton and Val, who had obviously both appearances in the first two books.

Val and Brit cannot stand each other and while Brit really has a physical reaction because of his total abhorance of Val, for her it is more of a reaction to his actions. then there is the kidnapping of a child and the council wants them to work together.

you can feel the development of the relationship, the sparks and the confusion between them while they
Sapphyria
Sapphyria's Review:

Review of Book 1, The Awakening: Aidan

Review of Book 2, The Awakening: Liam

Four years ago, Britton Townsend broke sacred shifter law by almost revealing their kind to the human world. He then faced one of the harshest punishments. His shifter powers were removed and he was stripped of his job as head of Shifter Protection and Concealment (SPAC). He now must live as a human for a 20 year sentence. B
Tina
This is the third story in the Awakening series and it’s one that I really wanted to read. There are many emotions that are brought out in the characters throughout this story. I do recommend that you read Liam’s story first so that you can see some of their previous interactions with one another and get a taste of why they treat one another the way they do when they are forced to work together in this story. It’s a great paranormal romance about shifters.

Val Calhoun is a half-shifter and the le
Melissa
Val couldn't stand Britton and his womanizing ways even if he was drop dead gorgeous. Britton can't stand to be around Val no matter what, just being near her cause physical pain. Val was giving a case for a boy who was kidnapped and they threaten to expose the shifter to the human world, if they didn't get what they wanted. Val was running circles and hitting dead ends. The counsel took the lead from her and put Britton on the case with her and she wasn't happy about it. Britton couldn't believ ...more
Katha
ARC provided for an honest review

This book was really great! I didn’t get a lot of sleep the day I read it because I just couldn’t put it down.

The two protagonists had me from the first page. I loved them. Most of all I loved that they couldn’t stand each other in the beginning. It was so funny to watch those two interact and also a bit painful once you realized how much hatred Britton actually felt towards Val.

It got even better when they began being friendlier towards each other. It was so swe
Eva Millien
The third book in The Awakening series is an intriguing shifter world with unique and surprising elements.

Britton Townsend was sentenced to 20 years as a human by the council and now works as a human detective in the police department. The half shifter Val Calhoun replaced as the lead SPAC detective and the loathe each other, but when Val fails the case she is assigned by the Council, they send the two arch enemies deep into the mountains- together- alone.

The author brings this intriguing story
Shauni
Reviewed Originally For: Tea and Book

Each book in Abby Niles' Awakening Series just gets better and better. The Awakening is when a when a male shifter meets his mate he is of course instantly attracted to her and by marking her, he literally becomes hers. If she fails to mark him in return, she still has a chance at a different life. But if she should reject him? Life is just not worth living.. We saw in Book Two The Awakening: Aidan. But what happens if your animal is suppressed? If that one p
Christi Snow
My Review:
OMG, I loved this book. Hands down, this is the best in the series so far and I really didn't expect that. We had glimpses of Brit and Val together in the last book so knew that their relationship is really contentious, but I had no idea just how deep it went.

This is a deeply emotional book. Britton was a shifter, but while on the job at the SPAC, he broke the law....to save a child's life. But according to the council, a law is a law and they are there for a reason. So he was punishe
Evelyn Hustis
I will freely admit that when Katie at Entangled offered me a review copy of this book I turned into a total spaz. I highly suggest reading the previous books in the series first! At the very least read Liam's story because you get a glimpse of what's to come with Britton and Val.

Britton, a shifter who was once the head of SPAC (shifter protection and concealment) until he violated shifter law and was not only removed from his job, but was also sentenced to living for 20 years as a human. The o
Heather  book whore & shifter slut extrordinaire
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This is the third book in The Awakening series by Abby Niles. These books are centered around three male shifter friends as their beasts are "awakened" when they meet their mate. Each friends experience is completely different, as are their mates, and it has been a real treat to watch the way their lives are changed - tossed upside down then twisted sideways - as two individuals come together to become a couple.

I
Shelly
If you’ve read Niles before you know she’s not a rock’em sock’em kind of writer. She does like to build a story even if the premise is not exactly new. That’s the way I felt about Britton’s story anyway. The buildup was nice and good enough that it kept me reading to find out what happens to these characters I’ve come to want to find out about. Britton and Val’s story picks up right after Liam’s story finished – give or take a couple months. The difference between this and the other Awakening bo ...more
Lori Palle
“As far as he was concerned there was nothing a bottle of liquor and a good woman couldn’t cure–but somehow, he didn’t think Val would appreciate those suggestions.”–Britton’s thoughts

There are rivals, enemies, arch-enemies, and then there’s Britton and Val, two detectives who utterly despise each other. When shifter politics bring the two of them to solve a case together, they uncover a shocking secret–turns out, they don’t despise each other as much as they thought…

“One single kiss and there’d
Mistress of the Dark Path
I'm a big fan of relationships that start with the hero/heroine hating each other. There's just something to be said for watching them fight it out until those feelings turn into lust and eventually love. This book fit the bill for me. The change-over happened a little faster than expected, but there was a valid reason for that and I was able to accept it. Val and Britton just had that kind of chemistry together that once it started, it couldn't be stopped.

The thing that sets it off is they have
LJT
Paranormal romances don't usually peak my interest, however, the book blurb for Britton (The Awakening #3) sounded so interesting, I just had to read it. Besides, I am an Abby Niles fan and did not want to pass up an opportunity to read another one of her books. This is an intriguing story about shifters and a governing council that is stuck in the dark ages.

Half-shifter and lead SPAC agent, Val Calhoun and Detective Britton Townsend, police officer and former shifter, do not care for each other
Shawna The Crazy Bookseller
ARC given by Entangled Publishing for a honest review.

Half-shifter and lead SPAC agent, Val Calhoun, has listened to women gush over the Don Juan of the precinct for the last four years. Yeah, Detective Britton Townsend is hot and has stunning blue eyes, but that foul mouth he saves only for her? What a waste of good looks. And no way does Val want that mouth anywhere near hers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

At first I was really confused as to why Val a
  • Operation Saving Daniel (Melville Sisters, #1)
  • Bad Cop (Immortalis, #2)
  • Four Weddings and a Werewolf (Seattle Wolf Pack, #2)
  • Love at Stake (Fated Match, #1)
  • Heart of the Incubus (Demons of Infernum, #3.5)
  • Hunter's Moon (Moon, #2)
  • Ashes
  • Sex and the Single Vamp
  • Undying Embrace (The Enclave, #2)
  • Haunt Me
  • Stop Dragon My Heart Around (Las Vegas Dragons, #2)
  • Parts & Wreck
  • To Love a Highland Dragon (Dragon Lore, #1)
  • One Hot Knight
  • Lions, Tigers, and Sexy Bears Oh My!
  • Wild Card (Etudes in C#, #1)
  • Love Me to Death (Underveil, #1)
Ever since Abby Niles picked up her first Sweet Valley High book in sixth grade and fell in love with Elizabeth and Todd, she’s been hooked on romance. By the time she reached high school, she was devouring meatier romances with pirates, cowboys and knights. She never imagined that those years of reading would one day lead to her becoming a published author.

In her late twenties, after having twins
More about Abby Niles...

The Awakening (3 books)
  • Aidan (The Awakening, #1)
  • Liam (The Awakening, #2)
Extreme Love (Love to the Extreme, #1) Fighting Love (Love to the Extreme, #2) Winning Love (Love to the Extreme, #3) Aidan (The Awakening, #1) Liam (The Awakening, #2)

“Jumping in the hot tub with this woman had been a decision of epically stupid proportions.” 1 likes
“Honeymooners? Well, that was just a big flip of the middle finger to the sanctity of marriage, wasn’t it?” 0 likes