Start by marking “My Whispers of Horror: Letters Telling Women's True Tales from Ex-USSR Nations” as Want to Read:
My Whispers of Horror: Letters Telling Women's True Tales from Ex-USSR Nations

My Whispers of Horror: Letters Telling Women's True Tales from Ex-USSR Nations

"If he hits me, then he must love me."

"I am a cow and I am a bull. I am a woman and I am a man."

"If you don't find an ideal man by your age... it doesn't mean that you like girls. Don't worry, you can find a man! You will not be an old maid."

"That was also when these police officers, who were meant to protect the public, became my pimps."

What can be more deep and personal
Paperback, 2nd, 176 pages
Published March 21st 2014 by Brine Books Publishing (first published November 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about My Whispers of Horror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Whispers of Horror

Start your review of My Whispers of Horror: Letters Telling Women's True Tales from Ex-USSR Nations
Ruth Hill
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reads
This has to be one of the hardest books I have read in quite some time. I have read about sex trafficking, and I have read about the Holocaust. I have read about Christian martyrs, and I have read about those who have overcome horrendous obstacles. I had no idea until I picked up this book that this was how life was and is in the Ukraine and Russia. We don't hear much about the former USSR in America, and I never would have dreamed that such atrocities occurred amongst families. I was never phys ...more
Alana
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through a GoodReads First-reads giveaway. As I was scanning through the giveaway list I stumbled across the book and found it interesting that the authors had published it themselves. I figured that this showed the book meant a great deal to them so I entered to win. Usually I enjoy reading dark and gritty stories so this appealed to me. I didn't pause to think about how this one is not fictitious and could deeply affect me.

Saying that this book 'affected' me is an incredibl
Lisa Meyers
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I thought that reading this book will be a nightmare. I almost decided to abandon it, after I buying it and reading a few of its reviews. That would have been a great mistake.

Even if the subject of this book seems horrible, the stories which it contains are very realistic. I have travelled in that area from which these stories have their origins. I have seen pretty similar situations. I hate to admit it, but in those countries, women are some sort of currency. Men are trading them for different
Jennifer (JC-S)
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
‘The screams of many women around the world are often forced into nearly silent whispers.’

We all want some measure of happiness in our lives. For some of us, that is relatively easy to achieve. For many women, it is almost impossible. This book, compiled by Olya and Chris Brine, presents letters from 20 different women from Russia and Ukraine writing of issues in their lives, of their experiences of inequality, domestic violence and effective slavery. All of this in a culture in which women stru
Mirjam Penning
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any adult
Recommended to Mirjam by: GoodReads
The book 'My whispers of Horror' I won here on GoodReads. Never won anything in my life, so winning a book, getting it send to my house was such a nice thing to experience. The least I can do is holding my end of the bargain and give an expanded review now I finished reading.

Title
Catchy, even when it could've been three words instead of four, by skipping 'My'.

The Cover
I like that it's a drawing portraying the subject well. And it certainly is different than other covers in a good way.

Grammar and
Nat Harward
Jul 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
In the intro, the publishers set up that they self published this because they couldn't get anyone else to publish it. It is their positions that these stories MUST be told so they made it happen.

The same tone of desperation, no-one-will-help-us-ness is the experience of reading the rest of the book.

There were brief moments where the women inspired me by showing great courage and willingness to take on the challenges in their lives ... to break the system, swim upstream and stand up for themselv
Kathleen Kelly
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing

My first thought after reading this book was wow, wow because I realized how easy I have had it after 31 years of marriage. Even though there were problems in the marriage that are always there, money, children and other assorted issues that two people will have living together. The true stories portrayed in this small but powerful book, will make you think twice about what you have ever known about women around the world or even things you didn't know. It seems to me that women living in the ex
Ann Smith
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was very eye opening. The stories were told by letters sent in by the abused women themselves.

The really crazy thing is the fact that I have two Russian sister in laws (don't ask!) and I never realized that this was going on in their country.
I have heard them say before "men are different there because women outnumber them so much that the women have to settle." However, I had no idea the extent they were talking about. At all.
My heart truly broke for every women who had no choice but
Danny
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Haunting and frightful. Well written even as a translation, although could have done better with the editing.
Elizabeth Hall
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminism
I just read Whispers of Horror: Letters Telling Women’s True Tales From Ex-USSR Nations. I knew this book would contain a lot of pain, and that the letters would be difficult to read, the stories of female abuse indeed horrific. And yet horror is not the primary thing I took from this book. What stayed with me was hope born of a deep admiration for the women who wrote these letters, and a determination to continue uplifting the voices of women. Here, you will read story after story of abuse—alco ...more
Kelly Saffron
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Okay. Okay.

This was an incredibly tough read. It's told in epistolary form. Going into it, I knew it was going to be abuse, rape, gender inequality and the struggles of women in Russia and Ukraine, but the suffering is unbelievably real and left me feeling sick to my stomach. Reading this book made me feel like we have it easy over here in the Western world.

I was surprised by how these women were resigned about the fact that so many of their husbands were couch potatoes, not lifting a finger t
Carolina
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book through a GoodReads First-reads giveaway.

‘In all of your situations you can find a solution that is the right decision for your life’. And with that quote from one of the stories start. It’s a phrase that covers mainly the thought of fighting, these women, who became his battle cry. Beginning because it is a book perfectly compiled, written with the simplicity that we all have to talk, but with a very large emotional burden in itself.

I find it unacceptable that in this centu
Frankie Johnnie
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tears flowed.

Through a collection of short stories/essays - this book shines the light on the horrible domestic violence crimes Russia and Ukraine women faced from abusive and alcoholic husbands – who took the vow to love and protect them, and not beat them until they die or wish they were dead. What adds insult to injury is that the majority of these women with children had nowhere to turn to escape the living hell. No child should ever have to return home after an Easter holiday to a beaten an
Janaya Groat
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any of my friends, other women
When I learned I had won this book I was extremely excited. Entering into it, I knew it was going to be a hard read emotionally. Little did I know that I would not be able to put it down. I found myself immersed in the book, faced with the horrors women have suffered as if they had written the letter personally for me. The entire book flowed, not a single part made it hard to be interested in. Many parts were shocking and absolutely horrifying but served as a good wake-up call. This book sets fo ...more
Kate Hearn
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
***I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway****

This not a light or easy read. This is an upsetting and somewhat depressing (while being enlightening at the same time). The book consists of letters written by women in Russia and the Ukraine. The story is similar in many of the letters. Abusive drunk husbands treating their wives like shit. Little girls growing up dreaming of prince charming, and setting their dreams aside for men who seem great until after the wedding.

I was not aware how differen
Caro
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is hard, is difficult to read and is important. There can be grammar mistakes while making the translation, maybe even in the original language and from the same woman who wrote the book. Let´s remember that most of them do not have a good quality of life, some never went to University and some still suffering. The main point of the book is to read these stories, to understand that in the XXI Century with a world that claim that there is women power there still regions of this world th ...more
Peggy
What an important book to share with the world! The stories are heartbreaking and most "Westerners" have no idea the horrors that exist in other parts of the world. Just recently in the news Alexander Arefyev the men's skiing coach publicly expressed that women should not downhill ski but instead stay home and "focus on doing housework and having children". I think that attitude is perfectly reflected in this book. About a year ago I read another very good book titled "A weak American in Russia ...more
Génia Lebenslustig
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Women who are in such difficult situations which are described in this book do not need much compassion as support, they feel alone and abandoned by everyone, with no place to go for help and advice...
The rights of women, their place in the couple and society are not to be ignored.
Very strong and touching book, with passages sometimes difficult to read but very important issues within our society. We must not remain silent in front of domestic violence. Think about our surroundings, our friends,
Aubrey
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
A raw, emotional, often hard to read collection of true accounts of actual women in the former Soviet Union and their tales of struggle. From the burden of cultural norms that require their submissive, unflinching acceptance of the demands of the men in their lives to the pressures of running a household and raising children virtually alone, this book opened my eyes to the unbalance between men and women that is dictated by a patriarchal society.
Liza
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it
The stories are sad. I do not wish these situations on anyone. It is sad that women as made to be inferior to men when women are just as important to survival as the man.

With that said, I will say that the stories were repetitive. They women could have switched lives and you would have known know different. I am sure, for the women who submitted their essays, feel a little lighter to know they finally got there story out to the masses.
Mckenzie
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very engaging book about a startling topic. The book is a compilation of stories from women living in Ukraine and Russia and each story highlights the very real struggles they are faced with on a daily basis. Being a women is tough in this part of the world and I think these women exemplify why.
Roxana Nikolova
I received this book through a giveaway.

Being a fan of horror stories for a long time I thought nothing could shake me.But giving the thought that all the tales published in here are real I was deeply affected.
Aleia
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Difficult but necessary

This book was incredibly emotional and I found myself only able to read a few chapters a day. While it was sad and disheartening every woman should read this book.
Mark
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of the toughest books to read. Not because of the style of writing but every single one of the letters is a fresh heartbreak.
Cherise Frey
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very powerful sad truth on what woman still to this day go through in other countries. If your brave enough to read it prepare your self for tears and severe anger after every letter.
Scar
Feb 10, 2014 marked it as to-read
Sounds like a book I can sympathise to (:
Leslie
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is not a bed time read. Very informative What these women went through was just horrible. I am glad I won this book I probably would not have read it if I hadn't. I really recommend it.
Ash
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
Emotional stories told by women about their lives and the terrible events that they have gone through. A sad but very insightful read.
Jujhar Singh
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Oh gosh. I can't believe that so many women have to suffer through this torture. We still have so far to go as a species
Mel
Oct 16, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Only $2.99 on Amazon... Should I? Hmmm
Making Connections: 1806. MY WHISPERS OF HORROR by Olga Brine, Chris Brine 4 65 Jun 30, 2014 10:48AM
Writers and Readers : My Whispers of Horror 1 5 Nov 01, 2013 07:05AM
I am a publisher and partner at the activist publishing house Brine Books Publishing. We are trying to raise awareness and funds for important human rights issues around the world.
Twitter username is BrineBooks.