Start by marking “If the Shoe Fits (Once Upon A Romance, #1)” as Want to Read:
If the Shoe Fits (Once Upon A Romance, #1)

If the Shoe Fits

(Once Upon a Romance #1)

What happens when a modern day Cinderella's dreams don't involve getting married?

Romance? Love? In this Once Upon A Romance Series Book 1 romantic comedy, Charlotte (Charlie) King doesn't have time for either one. All she wants is her late father's dream to come true by making his beloved King's Department Store thrive again. However, her stepmother has other ideas.
Published September 26th 2013 by Laurie LeClair (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about If the Shoe Fits, please sign up.
Diane I agree with ColourlessBooks. It wasn't graphic at all. Hinted heavily towards attraction, but any actual deeds were not discussed at all.

Start your review of If the Shoe Fits (Once Upon A Romance, #1)
Alexandra Florence
This short story was okay, however the entire book felt rushed, emphasised by the plot line that developed extremely quickly. The links to Cinderella were obvious and more importantly were relevant and did not confuse the plot line. In the novel Alex has to marry quickly, his instant proposal is therefore understandable, however Charlotte's reasoning for accepting so soon after meeting is unclear. It is therefore in the details that you can find faults, the lack of detail emphasises the rushed ...more
Trish Lleone
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Maybe I'm too old for stories like this, or maybe it's really just not my cup of tea because I could not finish the whole book and have lost interest in getting myself to the last page. I have been trying to finish this for the last two weeks and usually I could finish one whole novella in a single night.
LeClair could use some cliffhangers to make readers want to eagerly turn to the next page and apply a bit more diversity in her characters. Charlie is all too nice, all too charming, all too
Tracey Cramer-Kelly
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it
This story started slow and too cliché for my tastes; I thought I would likely not finish it. Luckily, this take on the Cinderella story got better.

Both characters are driven by needs related to their families: Charlie wants to save her dead father’s department store, and Alex needs a wife and heir for his grandparents. The fact that they marry for convenience but then actually do come to love each other is sigh worthy… and in this modern tale, there are some sex scenes (fairly tame by today’s
Hikari Saaya
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I didn't expect myself to like this book this much. I began expecting it to be more of a quick, pleasant read. it turned out to be very interesting in a quiet, adorable, and sweet sort of way. I love all the references to charming and don't mind the cliches which surprises me. the story felt fresh and the heroine felt real. I have to repeat that I loved ALL the subtle and not so subtle references to Cinderella throughout the book *chuckle*
Raewyn Muscat
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Geez, I feel like the Captain of the fun Police...I really wanted to like this book but it just annoyed me so much. I'd love a dollar for every time the author wrote "she felt I tightening in her middle" or he did. Just so predictable. It's a great "I don't have to think too much book". But that's about it. I really struggled to finish it.
Annabel
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who loves romance books
Shelves: 2014-books, ebook
loved this book - It's one of those perfect stories... it had a bit of cinderella but in the modern world
if you love a good romance book this is a book to read :)
Mary
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
A cute story, it sounds like "Cinderella." This is basically a pretty clean book with only a small amount of mild cursing. The intimate scenes are "clean" but just bordering on something else. I liked the story but things were too steamy for me.
R
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute twist

A fun read with a series and no brooms just sexy res heels and a hysterical banter and 2 steps
Connie N.
#1 in the Once Upon a Romance series

Loosely based on the Cinderella story, this is a light and pleasant read. The main characters are warm and friendly, and their insta-love is sweet. Of course, there's a mean stepmother who is holding the purse strings from Charlie, keeping her father's legacy (King's Department Store) down despite Charlie's constant efforts to revamp it. And Alex Royale is the tall, dark and handsome "prince" who is being courted for one of Charlie's stepsisters, although he
Jessica
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a modern retelling of the story of Cinderella.

(view spoiler)
CassieV
2.5 stars. Not terrible, but just not a lot of depth to the characters. The end just wrapped up way too neatly without the characters actually discussing anything. It bugs me when authors totally overlook any need to actually RESOLVE problems in a relationship and this is definitely one that does that. If you need a quick freebie to fit a challenge (like I did!), then go for it, otherwise, there are better books out there.
Ty
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: oh-yay, popsicle-read
Pink, oh the pink! This was incredibly cheesy, but cheesy is much needed every once in a while. It was entertaining... interesting...
Janna
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome modern Cinderella Story. Totally loved it and can't wait to read the next book in the series.
Glenda Parker
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My review is on the Romantic Comedy, If the Shoe Fits. This is the first book in the Once Upon a Romance Series. It's a delightful, modern day Cinderella story. It's well written, humorous, and delightful. I know you are going to love it. I look forward to reading the two stories of her step sisters.

Charlotte King is a graphic designer in her deceased father's department store, Kings. Her step mother refuses to work with her and update the store. She is called to a family dinner where her mother
Linda
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you like cute romantic stories, you'll like Laurie LeClair's book, If the Shoe Fits. It's the first book in the Once Upon a Romance series. Similar to Cinderella, Charlotte (Charlie) King has an unpleasant step-mother and 2 step-sisters, Francine and Priscilla. All she wants is to keep her late father's store--King's Department Store, in business. She thinks updating and renovating are the keys to success. Meanwhile, she is using her marketing talents and people skills to promote her ...more
Jadzia
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am a huge fan of reimagined/retold/modernized fairy tales, which means I've read a lot of good ones and a lot of bad ones.

"If the Shoe Fits" was okay, I guess, but it was nothing to get excited about. The point of a good retelling, in my view, is to bring something fresh to something familiar, to reinvigorate and bring new life to something precious; however, I didn't find anything here except worn-out tropes and tired references. It wasn't bad, exactly, simply boring.

If you're looking for a
Mary Lou Lombardo
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Cinderella story ....Charlotte (Charlie), and Alex .....a marriage in matters to save a Department Store( Kings) that turns out to be a marriage of deep love.....throw in the conniving stepmother of Charlie King who makes a deal with the very wealthy Alex Royale to be rid of her stepdaughter and Kings Dept. store along with her. But Charlie & Alex fall deeply in love and the story goes on from there. Loved this story simply because it was just that...SIMPLE....A beautiful Love story with ...more
Cynthia
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A King & A Royale what a match

Charlotte King is late getting to get step mom's house to help set her sister up to meet Mr. Prince Charming, better known as Alex Royale. She is trying to save her father's store. But Alex fall for Charlie & not her step sisters. They are not bad girls. She just wants to save the store. Her step mom sets it up for to marry Alex. A lot happens after that. A true Cinderella story.
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, it started off airing but went down hill fast. I had to stop reading at 48% because I just couldn't do it anymore. I think if the author had spent a little more time it could have been a real winner. As it was, there really was no character development, and the entire story seemed rushed. Its just a no from me
zubin nalawalla
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Story line leaves a lot wanting

I would recommend this book to someone on a holiday... It's as the name suggests, Once upon a romance, so don't look for a enthralling story or strong characters. Writing seems sloppy at times, but it's a good read if you leave your brains behind and just want to feel good at the end of a very short book!
debi
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A gentle romance

This is a gentle romance. Not too hot and steamy, or sad and emotional . It held my interest and was delightfully sweet . I felt the plot was simple and somewhat predictable but not to the point that I lost interest. I would recommend this book to someone who just needs to unwind and feel good.
ColourlessBooks
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Three strong stars! I would have given it four, but it went down a little because there were some jokes I couldn't understand. Now this isn't a big problem, and it might have just been me, but still, I rounded it down a little because of that. I might feel differently tomorrow when I have slept the night, but for now it is 3 (strong!) stars.
Kym Hamer
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Let me say up front that I love a trashy read and If the Shoe Fits is definitely trashy. But it was just way too cheesy and neatly tied up for me to really enjoy it. I didn't believe the characters and I didn't think that it was particularly well-written either. It is a pretty easy read and probably good pool-side fodder though, just not my cup of tea.
Saeeda
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Disappointing

I love Cinderella and I thought I would love this book but it had very little in common with Cinderella and I felt the characters weren't fully developed so overall I finished it with a feeling I had wasted my time. Sorry if that seems harsh but I really wished it was better.
Jul 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-own, kindle
This isn’t the worst book I’ve ever read, but it’s close. I love a fairy tale retelling. I love romance. This should have been a fun easy read. It was awful. I sped through the last half of the nonsensical plot, bizarre actions of mustache twirling (not literally) villains and the even crazier decisions of the hero and heroine.
Kyra Carr
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If The Shoe Fits Was Just the Perfect Book!

I really enjoyed this retelling of Cinderella! I loved the characters, I loved the romance between Charlie and Alex.
She was sweet and warm and funny. He was kind, and fun and very sexy. I love the King's Store and all of the members.
I will be reading more of Laurie LeClair's books.
Pearl Powell
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Reminds me of a Hallmark movie

I searched "romantic comedy" and came across this novel. It was vaguely romantic definitely NOT funny. It lacked entertainment and was pretty much boring.
Lakisha
This modern take on Cinderella is kind of a boring read. The heroine, Charlie, was sassy and upbeat. While her stepmother was somewhat mean, she was not a true villian. Her stepsisters liked her. And the love scenes, what love scenes? I was not satisfied with my reading experience.
Stacey Raymond
May 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
This was pretty cheesy. It wasn't a bad read, I just didn't really enjoy it. The characters are basic stereotypes. The plot was too predictable. It was a clean book as far as sex scenes, but clean doesn't mean the story was good.
Cynthia Wayman
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Simple

Simple, easy to read, nothing new added to an old story. Just needed something quick and distracting to read right now.

• A Tough Case to Crack (Nuts About Nuts Mystery #1)
  • Cooper (Cowboys of Ransom Creek, #3)
  • Brody's Redemption (Small Town Scandals #1)
  • Healing Her Cowboy (Montana Secrets #1)
  • Death on the Range (Target Practice Mysteries #1)
  • Baking Bad (Beaufort Scales Mystery #1)
  • Obsessed With His Curvy Girl (Navy SEAL and BBW Romance #1)
  • Flirty Thirty (Nerdy Thirties. #1)
  • Mr. Pink (The Case Brothers, #1)
  • Come Home Cowboy
  • Reluctant Romance
  • Love on the Cape (Cape Van Buren: On the Cape #1)
  • Crush on You (Bliss Brothers #1)
  • 15 Minutes (A Maizie Albright Star Detective Mystery, #1)
  • The Party (Dear Santa, #1)
  • Dying for a Date (Laurel McKay Mysteries, #1)
  • Miz Scarlet and the Holiday Houseguests (A Scarlet Wilson Mystery, #3)
  • Undercover (Harris Thorn, #1)
Bestselling author Laurie LeClair writes romantic comedies, contemporary romance, romantic suspense, and women’s fiction. Laurie has a not-so-secret love for characters who make her laugh, cry, and who linger in her mind long after the story ends. Laurie’s habit of daydreaming has gotten her into a few scrapes and launched her to take up her dream of writing. Finally, she can put all those stories ...more

Once Upon a Romance (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Waking Sleeping Beauty (Once Upon A Romance, #2)
  • Taming McGruff (Once Upon A Romance, #3)
  • The Reluctant Beauty (Once Upon A Romance, #4)
  • Awakened By A Kiss (Once Upon A Romance, #5)
  • Tangled at First Sight (Once Upon a Romance #6)
  • Finding Mr. Just Right (Once Upon A Romance #7)
  • Making A Splash (Once Upon A Romance #8)
  • Hoodwinked By A Wolfe (Once Upon A Romance #9)
  • Baking From The Hart (Once Upon A Romance #10)
  • Melting Her Heart (Once Upon a Romance #11)
“measures. She’d live up to her part. Once the distraction of getting her eldest stepsister engaged was over, then all Charlie had to do was convince her stepmother that King’s Department Store, the once grand family business started by her late father, was worth saving even in these hard times.” 1 likes
“Under the shelter of the overhang, she caught her breath in the chilly night air. With her free hand, she brushed back the wet tendrils of dark hair from her cheeks. Cool droplets of rain slithered down the back of her neck, making her shiver.” 0 likes