Start by marking “Hail, Hail, Camp Timberwood” as Want to Read:
Hail, Hail, Camp Timberwood

Hail, Hail, Camp Timberwood

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  220 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Dear Mom and Dad, I'll Stay!

For thirteen-year-old Melanie Kessler, going to overnight camp was no way to spend a summer vacation. Right from the start, Melanie knew there was going to be trouble. Getting stuck with the six-year-old Tadpoles in the beginners' swim class was downright embarrassing. So was her horse's decision to take a trot in the lake--with Melanie aboard!
Published 1978 by Little Brown & Company

To ask other readers questions about Hail, Hail, Camp Timberwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hail, Hail, Camp Timberwood

Aimee
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've come to the conclusion that children's/young adults' books written between, roughly, the mid-seventies to late eighties are more enjoyable than the newer ones. They're less desperately edgy, the characters are more likable, and the plots more believable.
Melanie Kessler is a somewhat sheltered only child who lives in New York City with her parents, and she is upset when her aunt urges her parents to send her to camp for the summer. Aunt Katherine thinks Melanie needs time away from home and
AE
Sep 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the poor man's "There's a Bat in Bunk Five".
Kristine Hansen
I absolutely refuse to shelve this book under "vintage" because I remember reading it when I was about ten and I can't possibly be that old.

OK, that said, this book is definitely dated. This is kind of a classic, back when the "summer camp" storyline was pretty popular (a lot in part to "The Parent Trap" - original version please.)

Here you see a girl who is the coddled only child in her family, sent away to summer camp. She agrees to go because she thinks it will be fun, then the reality sets i
Darlene
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in the seventh grade and loved it. That is why I'm giving it the four stars. If I read it for the first time today I would probably give it three. I loved camp growing up and this book inspired me to write my own "camp book" which I never finished. Now that I am an adult, and a parent, I find that one part bothers me. The main character's parents went to a Rated X movie, and mom wrote her to tell her how it embarrassed her. I have no memory of reading that part in seventh grade. ...more
Chris
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young kids or preteens
Recommended to Chris by: Mother's library
I remember reading this book, snacking on stolen, raw, spagetti sticks up in my loft. Reading it outloud until my throat was sore, I tried to share reading with my stuffted animals. This book was fun, a great read to share with your younger children and a quick and easy no thought read for those who do read frequently. I think everyone should read this book, if not just in reading to your youngsters.
MsAprilVincent
Apr 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: pre-teen girls
Shelves: young-adult, 2008
I loved this book when I was younger; I know I first read it when I was in middle school, because I remember getting it from the library.

As with many books read in my youth, this one is not as good now that I've become a mean old lady. I've lost patience with adolescent angst. Instead of siding with the heroine, I find her whiny, clingy, and self-righteous.

What I did like: out-of-date references to phonographs, movie projectors (as opposed to dvds), and transistor radios.
Brenda
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another one from my box of treasures LOL. I liked girls at sleepaway summer camp when I was about 10 or 11 so since I couldn't go - I read about them

This is another decent one from the late 1970's about a girl who learns how to count on herself and make friends while away for the summer. Good for the 11 to 14 set.
Chris
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, a 1970's camp book. I devoured this book and reread it many times over. So relatable to me - going tocamp, dealing with mean girls, doing things you are afraid of, what I wasn't able to relate to back then was boyfriends, so Melanie and her friends seemed so glamorous and grown up to me. This one holds up well.
Kricket
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this popped up when i was reviewing "the pistachio prescription" and reminded me that i should read this again, too. another big favorite growing up.

this one didn't age as well as some of my other childhood favorites. the 4th star is purely for nostalgia.
Kathryn
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book, but anything written by Ellen Conford is great!!! My fifth grade teacher read it to us and we requested that she read it twice more in the school year. I love this book!
Kristen
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I didn't realize how much of this book I had remembered. Reading was like visiting an old friend and I enjoyed it.
Caitlinleah
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I totally forgot about this book. it was one of my favorites when i was a teenager. it was always one where i wondered what happpened to everyone after the summer.
CLM
May 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrensbooks
Melanie goes to summer camp and falls in love.
Mell
Jul 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, ya
Read this in junior high. Loved finding a book where the main character shared what felt like my unpopular first name.
babyhippoface
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-fiction
I remember this being one of my favorites when I was growing up.
I have a feeling it would drive me crazy now.
Erin
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spotting all these books that I loved so much when I was a kid is a treat. I feel all goofy-happy right now.

The triumvirate of Cleary/Blume/Conford ... they were my staples when I was growing up.
Jimmy
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-mg, heroine
innocent '70s fun. looking forward to reading more ellen conford.
meg
Jun 18, 2009
Beth
Dec 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • There's a Bat in Bunk Five (Marcy Lewis, #2)
  • Laura's Luck
  • Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?
  • Waiting Games
  • The Mysterious Disappearance of Leon (I Mean Noel)
  • Yours Till Niagara Falls, Abby
  • The Mystery of the Midnight Marauder (Trixie Belden #30)
  • The Luckiest Girl (First Love, #2)
  • The Secret Language
  • Star Spangled Summer (Penny Parrish, #1)
  • Conrad: The Factory-Made Boy