Start by marking “The One (The Selection, #3)” as Want to Read:
The One (The Selection, #3)

The One

(The Selection #3)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  314,588 ratings  ·  25,416 reviews
The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how ha
Published May 6th 2014 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The One, please sign up.
Ebony Sometimes she made want to jump in the book and slap her stupid and other times i Loved her to death. Then in the One I was literally on an emotional…moreSometimes she made want to jump in the book and slap her stupid and other times i Loved her to death. Then in the One I was literally on an emotional rollercoaster. I felt like how Maxon felt. I kept screaming "MAKE UP YOUR MIND WOMAN!" at the book over and over.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Danielle My thoughts are that it's probably because this way she got exactly what she wanted. To be remembered as a beautiful young woman. She was worried that…moreMy thoughts are that it's probably because this way she got exactly what she wanted. To be remembered as a beautiful young woman. She was worried that in a few years she would be too old to model and then what? Now she's immortalized at the peak of her career.(less)

·  314,588 ratings  ·  25,416 reviews

Gillian Berry

Originally posted at Writer of Wrongs

Gillian: Hey, Gillian. How are you doing today? You look nice.

Gillian: You don't.

Gillian: We're the same person, so you kind of just insulted yourself.

Gillian: I need to talk to you about The One. You're the only one who understands me.

Gillian: Well, yeah, that's because I am y--

Gillian: I REALLY NEED TO TALK TO YOU CAN YOU PLEASE JUST FOCUS.

Gillian: Sorry. Proceed.

Gillian: So, that was a book. A book that happened.

Gillian: Was it? Was it, though? Or did you hallucinate ninety percent of what occurred? You did read it really late at night.

Gillian: This is a distinct possibility. Though even my fever drea
Fafiliebe ♥ Warner ♥ Raffe ♥

After reading..

I'm just sooo emotional over this,, the sweet sweet sweetness, adorable emotional angsty love .. i love love love love this, i love it...

fangirling.. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Maxon ♥ ♥ ♥

♥ ♥ ♥

“Break my hclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
“Break
Maria
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.8/5 Stars ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

I had the lowest of the low expectations for this book. I wanted to throw The Elite out of the window. I wanted to throw this one out of the window too. But I was less inclined to. I still firmly believe this trilogy could have been a duology, even one book without all the redundant political situations that weren't even portatryed right! I was satisfied with the ending, it was predictable,
J
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dixie Downing
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was immensely proud of America by the end of the Elite, and couldn't have been more happy with the end of the trilogy! We all knew who she would end up with! I was crying the "I'm so lonely!" tears all through the last chapter before returning to my single life. Haha
Caz (littlebookowl)
These books are such easy reads, though dealing with America's... America-ness was not so easy.
I liked that she stood by her beliefs and values, but it drove me nuts how she flip-flopped all over the place with her feelings. Especially since it was very obvious how she felt, a lot of her indecision didn't have much justification.
Throughout the series, I never felt like the rebels were truly threats, they never seemed very dangerous. Things changed towards the last half of The One, which I
Rhea
Jun 13, 2013 marked it as never-ever-read  ·  review of another edition
Wouldn't it be awesome if Maxon turned out to be gay? And then he ends up with Aspen!

Miranda Reads
description

America, my love, you are sunlight falling through trees. You are laughter that breaks through sadness. You are the breeze on a too-warm day.
Cue the eye roll, this is definitely going to be one of those kind of books.
Picking up where we left off, Maxon Schreave (points for having the world's worst last name) has to make a crazy-hard decision.
And there we were, in the background of it all, holding on to one another. The Perdecision.
a
Booknut
Update: 25/9/14 I am officially changing my rating from 2 stars to 3 stars!

Why, you may ask?

The answer: http://unlocktheselection.com/

And with that lovely webpage comes an exclusive bonus epilogue for The One which made me a very, very happy fangirl!

There's even some irony in there:
'I made my way across the floor, sampling some hors d’oeuvres on my way. None of the food seemed terribly appealing, though. Maxon’s favorites weren’t necessarily mine, I just had to trust that everyone else would enjoy the selection.'

From a selection of girls to a selection of food, huhthere:
I
Stacia
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Selection by Kiera Cass

10-2-12; 10:47pm : Team Maxon! :)

9-26-13: W o w. Look at this BEAUTIFUL cover. In my review of The Elite I said I wanted the book green, but I'm COMPLETELY won over by the white. It's gorgeous. I can't wait!

03-12-15

Hey guys! So, I FINALLY got back into reading/reviewing and I'm happy to say that THE ONE is gonna be my first review back!

I read THE ONE when it first came out and I've been DYING to do a review on it because I've been a fan since like... day two of THE SELECTION release. Ha!

Anyway, I know we all talked abouwait!
Jane
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Team MAXON!!!!!!!!!!! Omg the name is out and it is awesome. The c-c-c-c-COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it.... is..... AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *super happy dance*

Update in the middle of book:
The feeelllllsss and OMG

Just finished the book, good ending but the feels, this book made me cry so much. It's killing me!
Belle
Oct 11, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-release
EDIT: May 6th, 2014

Well, The One is finally out today and I'm not sure when I'm going to get to read it, but hopefully it will be very soon! However, I did get a chance read the first 10 chapters at unlocktheone.com and it has made me even more skeptical than I already was, but I guess I'll have to wait see! Also, I would be really grateful if you guys wouldn't post any spoilers for The One in the comments of this review, or if you do at least tag them as such, because I do read all of them and have had books rui/>Well,
Sophie
Rating: 1.5 Stars

SPOILERS. Please read on if you
1. Have no intention of ever reading this book (good for you)
2. Have read the book (my condolences)
3. Just want to see me rant about sleazy men and brainless women (isn't that why we're all here?)

The One. This title can mean so many things, but let me tell you what it means to me. It is the one book in this series that got a higher rating than a 1 from me, mostly because of an ending that completely surpassed my expectations of wtfery. It is a story about one prince who is a huge dick, onehere?)
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Let's pretend this never happened...

Can't believe I read the whole series but I can now move on with my life.

I couldn't stand the main character nor the love triangle. At least in this book, there was less girl-hate. The whole series could have been one book!
Still... I did read them all....
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-standout
Read my full review @A Perfection Called Books It's non-spoilery and gif-filled!

All right. Enough is enough. I need to stop putting off writing this review. Maybe I feel that writing this review will truly mark the end of this series. And you know what? I don't want it to be over. This book gets a five star rating for so so many reasons. Ok so this book was not flawless. There were so
Claudia Ramírez
I CAN'T EVEN---!!!

ALL THE FEELS. I'm crying with JOY!!!

I can't give this book less than 5 stars because I got what I wanted. Sure, the world building is as poor as it has always been in this series, but GOD, the romance was so BEAUTIFUL.

I finished this book in less than one day because it was so easy and fast to read! It has a huge amount of drama and it had me hooked till the very end!

I think I liked America better in this book than in the other books. She was more dec
Lia
I'd give this book a few more stars if I didn't find the main character and most of her decisions and actions extremely annoying and stupid.
Seriously, who even thought writing a heroine like America Dumbhead Singer was a good idea?
The only thing I like about her, is her boyfriend (singular, not plural *cough cough*).
Actually, just pretend this one solitary and miserable star is all for Maxon because he deserves the world.
*mouths desperately* protect him.
Elena
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
man, y'all were right :(
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
5 Absolutely Awestruck ★'s

“The best people all have some kind of scar.”

Buddy read with my, girl Desireé :)

Reread

This. Was. Absofreakinlutely. Amazing! This was one hell of a rollercoaster ride. I am so happy that I decided to reread The Selection series and it will always be dear to me :) I love this book so much! The One was insanely good and it turned me into an emotional mess. In all seriousness, this book really did break my heart over

OMG. I don’t even know where to start with this one. I am an emotional wreck after reading this book. An absolute wreck.

America was herself to the best of her ability again in this book. She did make some stupid decisions at times, but I was nice the way she managed to uphold her integrity, and it was nice to see the way she realised her feelings for Maxon, even if she wouldn’t share them with him!

Maxon, was just, ahhhhh, Maxon ♡ Loved him!

( Although I have to say that continuing to snog other girls when you’ve pretty much made up your mind is infuriating!)

The storyline in this was pretty good, although I did feel like there was a bit of a slow patch in the middle. We had loads going on in this book though – rebel activity, secret bargains, possible moles, death, destruction, assassination attempts, lots of changing of minds, lovey-dovey scenes, angry scenes, ‘why won’t you tell him?!’ scenes, ‘What are you doing?!’ scenes, ‘You’re going to get in trouble for that!’ scenes, ‘will you hurry up and do it already?!’ scenes, and finally, finally, finally – a wedding!!

Overall; I just loved it!
9 out of 10.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have no idea how hard it is to stop myself from reading the epilogue first!

**************************************************************************

I cannot wait any longer HarperCollins! I can't!!

I want it now!!!

Please?!!

Maureen
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I may have liked this the best out of the three. America was still obnoxious, but I've come to expect that, so maybe I got more used to it? I liked Maxon more BUT still obnoxious. Every character in this book is obnoxious to some degree.
The ending was great, for me. I got real emotional at one part and was NOT EXPECTING THAT because I don't really love these characters, but I guess I grew to like them? I don't even know.
I wish more had been done with the rebels and other rela
Lisa RC
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The One (Abridged Lisa's Edition)
BEWARE: This is a very "interesting" plot.
If you're easily offended by fan fiction, don't read this.

American (A): I choose you, Maxon! I really do! Forget about Aspen. I believe that the castes should be eliminated, but I like you. So let's just take it SLOW but get married first because everyone needs to know who you choose.

Maxon (M): Oh, Darling! Let's get married. GO CELESTE. My fiance doesn't want you here! I hate you, Natalie. Now please get lost.

A: Oh I'm getting
Tomoe Hotaru
8 May 2014
You know what the biggest problem is with this book?

It is a little random.

There is no way to explain without going into details and giving out spoilers, so I'll refrain from that. Let's just say that... events and transitions were not as smooth and seamless as they could be. I should give a nod to the author's attempt of improving on her art, though.
While I really appreciate the way Cass tried to remedy the girl-on-girl hate and develop the girls' friendship into a more
Karla
AFTER READ: I'm pretty content with the end of this series. Review to come.

-----------

WOWWW THE COVER! I am so in love.

All I want is a royal wedding between Maxon and America, okay. That's it.

☆ gpineapples ☆
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
 photo index1_zpsf37d314a.jpg

This review is SAFE and SPOILER FREE!

The One is book three in The Selection series by Kiera Cass. I first want to say that I fell in love with this series right away in book one. So, I did not anticipate that I could fall MORE in love with its final book but that is exactly what has happened. As soon as I started reading it, I was pretty much useless for anything else. I tried today to accomplish a few other things but couldn’t concentrate on anything until I finally gave up and just read!

photo index1_zpsf37d314a.jpg

This review is SAFE and SPOILER FREE!

photo tumblr_n02zutcxCE1t0ay8po1_500_zps922efa08.gif

Oh America, how I love you. I might have gotten a little frustrated with you now and then, maybe even wanted to give you a little shake, but I do love you. And I have to say that you have grown and matured into a strong, dedicated woman with a beautiful heart.

photo tumblr_n492f3CfwT1sfsmp5o1_500_zpsd37d3224.jpg

There are four women left, America, Elise, Kriss and Celeste. During the course of The One, we see all four of these women grow and mature. We learn who really loves Maxon and who doesn’t. I think I most enjoyed the changes in Celeste. As we know, she has been pretty vindictive and vengeful. But we do see remorse and friendship grow. I actually liked her by the end of the book.

photo images7_zps4133501b.jpg

Maxon has struggled throughout this process but from the start we saw his preference for America. I think what frustrated me most was both of their unwillingness to confess their feelings. So many problems could have been avoided if they had just told one another how they felt. But also, Maxon constantly felt the obligation to give all the girls a fair chance.

We also learn more about the rebels. The differences between the northern and southern rebels. And this book, I think more than the others, has plenty of intense and gripping scenes. My heart was beating out of my chest so many times.

And Aspen, oh Aspen. It seems like he often is neglected in all of this. Is there still a chance for a future with America? Or has she completely fallen for Maxon?

photo images8_zps1101f32a.jpg

America has all of the true qualities of a future Queen. Her compassion and bravery shine through. But she also makes so many impulsive decisions, many of which don’t go well.

“We were the other’s opposite in many ways but also so very similar. I couldn’t call our relationship fate, but it did seem bigger than anything I’d known before.”

I think one of my favorite parts of the entire book are the letters that Maxon writes to America. I could not help but “sigh” many times while I read them.

Although I rushed to get through this so I could see how it all ended, I now feel kind of sad that it’s over. But, Kiera Cass did bring everything to a conclusion with nothing left unresolved. I want to say again that this is a fantastic series and has a beautiful and heart stopping conclusion. If you have not started the series yet, I hope that these words will inspire you to read it. I don’t think you will regret it.

photo images5_zpsc303661c.jpg
The very pretty cover photograph of The One gives the whole thing away, but that’s alright. This is one of those books where the ending was fairly easy to call, and the journey mattered more than the destination anyway.

(Also, the gowns on the covers are blue, red, and white. Because the girl's name is America. I just caught that).

As the teen drama of the Selection process continues, the Northern Rebels make diplomatic overtures to Maxon and America, whom they believe to be s
Nadia
7.5.14 after reading: So since the first two books (Specially the second one) didn't really talk about much, this one had to be crammed with half assessed information and unexpected (But necessary to get to the end) happy endings.

There are plot holes and glitches I don't agree with, but even then I got to confess that I didn't quite believe that Kiera would be able to get out of the gutter she put herself in the second book.

With some last moment cramming session of post appocalyptic situation here and there (Most of which di
Vince
May 09, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"The One... star Review"

Dear The One,

Why do I hate thee? Let me count the reasons:

The caste system is shit. It's just a fucking mess of numbers, seriously. It was confusing as fuck in The Selection. In The One, it's still confusing as fuck. I remember in The Selection when America said that her being an entertainer makes her a Five. But then we are introduced to a couple of people here who entertain for a living yet they are Twos. What the fuck, Kiera Cass? And basically, when you're in a certain/>The
The Selection 2.0 TV Pilot Script (Has anyone read it yet?) 126 760 Aug 21, 2019 09:37PM
Did anyone really care about King Clarkson's Death 134 445 May 02, 2019 10:44AM
Team Maxon or Aspen 482 1405 Mar 26, 2019 08:25AM
selection oc 1 7 Oct 18, 2018 10:37PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • Other Worlds
  • Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky, #3)
  • Empower (The Violet Eden Chapters, #5)
  • Dance of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #2)
  • Infinite (Newsoul, #3)
  • Rise
  • Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)
  • The Offering (The Pledge, #3)
  • Sweet Reckoning (Sweet, #3)
  • The Goddess Inheritance  (Goddess Test, #3)
  • Endless Knight (The Arcana Chronicles, #2)
  • Divided (Dualed, #2)
  • Rebel (Reboot, #2)
  • Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5)
  • Fox Forever (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #3)
  • Thornhill (Hemlock, #2)
100 Things I Love:

Being married. Cake. The smell of Autumn. Motherhood. Books. Elephants. Back rubs. On demand movies. Actually going out to movies. Faith. Cinnamon rolls. My family. Butterflies. When my kitchen is clean. Crayons. Pink. Tote bags. Dancing. Organizing via color coordination. That my wedding dress was tea length, not floor. Baking. My house. Writing utensils. Paper. India. The s

The Selection (5 books)
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • The Elite (The Selection, #2)
  • The Heir (The Selection, #4)
  • The Crown (The Selection, #5)
“Break my heart. Break it a thousand times if you like. It was only ever yours to break anyway.” 3158 likes
“The best people all have some kind of scar.” 1691 likes