Start by marking “13 Days: The Pythagoras Conspiracy (Lynn Dayton, #1)” as Want to Read:
13 Days: The Pythagoras Conspiracy (Lynn Dayton, #1)

13 Days: The Pythagoras Conspiracy

(Lynn Dayton #1)

Energy executive Lynn Dayton thinks her challenge is fixing the troubled Houston refinery her company has just bought. But soon she must save it, and other refineries, from the havoc and deaths directed by a French saboteur, simultaneously fighting off threats to her own life. As Lynn deals with chemical leaks, disloyal employees, a new season of hurricanes, and mounting ...more
ebook
Published September 25th 2013 by StoneThread Publishing

To ask other readers questions about 13 Days, please sign up.
L.A. Starks Amelia, Sorry it has taken me so long to answer. Two different small publishers put this book in e-book editions. Both closed their doors and took my…moreAmelia, Sorry it has taken me so long to answer. Two different small publishers put this book in e-book editions. Both closed their doors and took my e-books offline. I hope to have a new e-book edition out soon--I know these can be more convenient and affordable!

Thanks for your question. It is a good one.(less)

Start your review of 13 Days: The Pythagoras Conspiracy (Lynn Dayton, #1)
PamG
13 Days: The Pythagoras Conspiracy by L.A. Starks is a well-written thriller that focuses on the refinery business. This novel goes beyond the usual thriller in that the reader actually learns a lot about this industry. The novel takes place in Houston, Dallas and Paris. Starks’ knowledge of the industry helped to shape this novel into a thriller unlike most.

Lynn Dayton is an energy executive working to turn around a refinery her company just acquired based on her recommendation. Soon there is a
Annie
A thoroughly enjoyable read and whilst reading, I found out info about the oil industry. I guess many other consumers, like myself, take petrol, diesel etc., for granted and have no idea of all the processes involved in refining crude oil. Some readers may not enjoy all the technical info, but I did. At the beginning of each chapter, there was at least one technical term explained. Starks had obviously done thorough research for other content in the book e.g. the description of the buildings ...more
Donald Grant
Fiction can be educational or at least expose readers to information about a real subject they may not know and when done well, can make that education exciting. Two examples that come to mind are Tom Clancy"s "The Hunt for Red October" that opened the world to the workings of a nuclear submarine, or Michael Crichton's "Micro" which explores the science of microtechnology. It is an art to craft a novel combining facts with a fictional suspense story.

L. A. Stark attempts this blend in her debut
R.
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found the book not only entertaining but educational. L.A. Starks made sure the reader understood all the oil refinery terminology. I liked how the author touched on various topics such as: a woman trying to work in a male dominated industry, money that is made and lost due to the many factors in the oil refinery business and, trying to have a high power job while juggling family and dating. I enjoyed the entire story and liked the tenacity of the main character Lynn! I look forward to reading ...more
Amelia
This thriller is fascinating. It includes loads of technical details about the refining industry, engineering, chemistry, and so forth, as well as a host of characters. The protagonist is interesting and human and female (Yea!). The plot spans two or three continents. It's all good.

It's a fantastic first novel from L. A. Starks, for sure. I read it in a day (we were having an inclement weather day here) and quite enjoyed it. I look forward to reading the next related novel.

Probably the only
Amy Bruestle
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying that I was lucky enough to receive this copy from a giveaway in return for an honest review. If I hadn’t gotten this book from the giveaway, I most likely would have never heard of L.A. Sparks, or have the opportunity to read any of her books for that matter. So needless to say, I am super thankful! I absolutely LOVE finding new authors that fit my interests that are also incredible writers! I entered this giveaway specifically because I have a family member that has ...more
Evelyn
May 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A riveting thriller with an oil refinery setting. I learned a great deal about oil delivery and refining. The conspiracy is as thick and opaque as crude oil and L.A. Starks slips the reader through it on skillfully oiled clues and dialogue.
Tamra LeValley
I really enjoyed this book even though it was just too technical to understand at times.

'13 Days" is a story about Lynn Dalton and her need to find out why the refinery she is running and the surrounding ones keep having malfunctions that are killing people. As she starts piecing the puzzle together she finds out who she can and can't trust.

The suspense novel has so many good qualities to it. The author did a fabulous job of laying out the detailed plot. It flowed perfectly from one set of
Maria Riegger
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting background

A fast paced read. What makes this novel really interesting is it is set mostly in Houston, the main setting being an oil refinery. The author has worked in the oil business and obviously knows her stuff. She explains how the refinery operates, including chemical components, the business side, etc. Those descriptions were fascinating.
Tory Wagner
13 Days: The Pythagoras Conspiracy by L.A. Sparks features Lynn Dayton an executive with an energy corporation. She discovers sabotage at several of the refineries she administers and must determine who is responsible as well as limit any damage. The premise is interesting, but I found all the science jargon took away from the momentum of the story.
Bethany
"13 Days" is a thriller which unfolds within the confines of the cooperate oil industry. Lynn is a woman on the move; its rare to find females in her line of work, but over the years she has managed to prove herself to all her male coworkers. She has just convinced the company she works for to take over an oil refinery, and from day one of the merge, nothing goes right. All around here things are falling apart; literally and figuratively. In "13 Days," we follow Lynn as she struggles with ...more
Tom Donaghey
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
Lynn Dalton, our central character, has many problems. She is a woman in the male dominated world of oil and oil refineries, she has struggled up the corporate ladder and gotten into the position of not only recommending her company buy up a failing competitor, but talking them into letting her helm that ship into better financial straights. She has not only her career to conduct but there is the matter of her father and sister to contend with.
Within days of her taking over the Houston based
Beth
Oct 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Lynn Dayton has a stressful gig as an oil industry executive. She’s a strong heroine, driven to do her job well, and to do the right thing by finding out who sabotaged her refinery.

There is a lot to like about this thriller. Lynn continues to put her life on the line, facing danger, not sure who to trust, as she tries to mend fences with her broken and jealous younger sister. Lynn’s also trying to support her father, who is ill. She’s on the go all the time, but has time for a little romance,
Jonathan Pettit
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Technical oil and gas thriller about a petroleum engineer, now executive Lynn Dalton investigating problems at a recently purchased refinery. Yes, murder and root cause analysis together. The novel takes place primarily in the greater Houston area and in Dallas. Having grown up in Houston and now working in Dallas, there are many places and references I'm familiar with. This adds quite a bit to the story for me. The story has great characters (very Texan, with one from Louisiana) and ...more
Darlene Cruz
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very descriptive and educational when it came to the oil refinery industry. I had no idea how the business worked but now I do. Thriller of a mystery which kept me guessing and still did when it ended. Just enough intrigue to grasp your mind. Lynn what a strong character, how she confronts the many obstacles working in a male dominate environment, not only that but her personal life too. So well written, it made the story move effortlessly. I received a free book that I had won through Goodreads ...more
Marisa Young
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first saw a flow diagram of a refinery process at the beginning of the book, I started to think this book is not for me. I was wrong. A female executive vice president is trying to get a newly acquired refinery working properly only to encounter problems and deaths. As she investigates the cause, more problems mount and not just at her refinery. An unusual action thriller where you also learn about the oil business and Greek history.
Judy Ann
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this as a Goodreads winner. It is a good book. Sometimes too technical but is a good mystery.
Connie
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Problems plague a refinery along the Houston Ship Channel, which has recently been the subject of a hostile merger in the ever consolidating petrochemical industry. The old hands at the refinery know how the place runs, but are only slightly willing to accept the new reign of the female boss placed over them. A horrific accident with the most deadly-deadly component of the refinery process triggers responses from both the new management and the old guard. Neither realize that there is an ...more
Janice
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story. I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review. Wasn't sure I'd like it, but I was pleasantly surprised. Turned out to be much better than I anticipated. Lynn Dayton of Tri-Coast Energy needs to figure out who or if someone is sabotaging local refineries just as she is trying to make profitable her latest acquisition-Centennial. Not only does she have "accidents'? to contend with but she must find out if there is a traitor among her so-called friends ...more
Conny
I was a First Read Winner of this book and I was really looking forward into sinking my teeth into a thriller, but I just could not get into to book and gave up on it about 25% in. I hate when I don't connect with a book since I am pretty picky of the books I choose to begin with, and it was not that the writing was bad or the plot line, the author did a tremendous amount of research on the subject matter but I kept stumbling over all the technical talk which made me loose the rhythm of the ...more
Debra Jeakins
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
13 DAYS:THE PYTHAGORAS CONSPIRACY by L.A. STARKS hits the ground running from page one(day one) when Lynn Dayton executive vp of TriCoast Energy responds to an emergency at a newly purchased refinery. Lynn is a woman in a predominantly mans world of oil refining . For a refinery accident to happen now is not only disastrous and deadly for the workers , but for her career ! Four people have died in this accident and Lynn wants answers and wants them now!

The pace of the book is breakneck. The
Marcia
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book on Goodreads. To me, the action was very slow, especially in the beginning, probably because I have little knowledge or interest in oil refineries. So much time is spend on background that little is left to move the plot. Besides the detailed information, the author relies on dialogue to further the action. This is not the job of dialogue. The characters are interesting and a bit unusual. The action does pick up a bit in the second half.
Jim A
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent tale of industrial espionage and sabotage. Also the author took time to explain a lot of the terminology used in refining oil products and the dangers involved. Learned something new and that is always a good thing when reading a novel.

As this is the beginning of a series, not a lot of suspense involved.
Irene
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Received a copy from Goodreads Giveaways.

Except for all the technical details, I found this to be an enjoyable read. Enjoyed the plot and found it quite interesting. Characters were well developed. Overall a very good read. It took me into a world I know absolutely nothing about. Well worth my time.
Kim Reese
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This was a great read. It was jam-packed with action while the plot and background was unique, engaging and detailed - everything I need from a good thriller. I can very easily see this being converted to a screenplay. I am looking forward to next novel!
Carol Turner
I like techy thrillers, but they must also have protagonists I care about. This one missed that mark. I'm disappointed because I'm picky about the books I start and I really looked forward to this one, which was part of a GoodReads content.
Mike
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a lot of information about the oil industry that I was not aware of. Interesting story that got into the 'thriller' part near the end of the book.
Christi Massey
Really good thriller! I did long for a bit more character development, but overall it was an entertaining, addictive read.
Sheila
Jan 31, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Was not interested in subject matter,so made this book a hard, long read.
University of Chicago Magazine
L.A. Starks, MBA'83
Author

From the author: "Energy executive Lynn Dayton thinks her challenge is fixing the troubled Houston Ship Channel refinery her company has just acquired. But soon she must save it, and other plants, from the havoc and deaths directed by a French saboteur, simultaneously fighting off threats to her own life. As Lynn deals with chemical leaks, traitorous employees, a new season of hurricanes, and mounting casualties, Robert Guillard, a corrupted idealist, plans to manipulate

• Ash (Asher Benson #1)
  • Pilgrimage: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival Story
  • The Room of White Fire (Roland Ford #1)
  • The Shaming Eyes (A Nick Drake Novel Book 3)
  • Shoot to Wound
  • Dead Lawyers Don't Lie (Jake Wolfe, #1)
  • Owl of Death (Owl the Assassin, #1)
  • Hellfire (Hawk Tate, #4)
  • The Power of Three (A Rex Dalton Thriller #2)
  • The Subway: A Suspense Thriller
  • Fiction No More (Vincent Malone Book 3)
  • Miami Chill (Titus South Florida Mystery Thriller Series Book 2)
  • Red Metal
  • The Gray Man (Gray Man, #1)
  • Miami Burn: Volume 1 (Titus South Florida Mystery Thriller Series)
  • Mercy River (Van Shaw #4)
  • Not of This Fold (Linda Wallheim Mystery #4)
  • A Boatload (A Jack McCoul Caper Book 1)
THE SECOND LAW (Lynn Dayton Thriller #3), winner of first place award from Texas Authors for best international thriller, is about attacks through the Internet of Industrial Things (iIOT). Lynn Dayton, who must uncover and stop a multi-pronged plot.

"unremitting suspense throughout...Spirited characters, both good and bad, populate this engaging, often surprising thriller."--Kirkus

Readers who

Lynn Dayton (3 books)
  • Strike Price (Lynn Dayton #2)
  • The Second Law (Lynn Dayton Thriller, #3)