Start by marking “Angus Macbain and the Island of Sleeping Kings” as Want to Read:
Angus Macbain and the Island of Sleeping Kings

Angus Macbain and the Island of Sleeping Kings

(Angus Macbain #1)

Angus MacBain is unaware that his ancestral roots hail from an ancient sect of Scottish kings. When his dying grandfather gives him a dragon pendant, thirteen-year-old Angus learns of a legacy that will take him across an ocean to the island of Iona and thrust him into a heritage he did not know he had.

He soon discovers that his mother, whom he had believed dead, is reall
Published September 24th 2013 by Clean Teen Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Angus Macbain and the Island of Sleeping Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angus Macbain and the Island of Sleeping Kings

K.C. Finn
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you loved Harry Potter, say hello to Angus MacBain!

I listened to the audiobook of this novel via audible and I am so glad I chose to spend December's credit on it! The American narrator does her absolute best with the English and Scottish accents, though being a Brit myself it took me a while to get used to her BBC style pronunciation. The character's voices are well delivered and it was a thoroughly enjoyable way to hear the story told.

As for the story itself, I was thrilled from start to fi
Amber
When Angus Macbain's grandfather passes away, he is sent to Scotland to live with an aunt he does not know about who treats him like dirt and uncovers a mystery about his family history. Can he find out what happens to his family before it is too late and find out why his aunt's been spying on him? Read this book and find out.

This was a pretty good YA fantasy novel I got for free on Smashwords. If you like Harry Potter and the Secret of Kells, then definitely check this book out.
Ginny  Gallagher
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great title! Great cover! Great story!

With a title like "Angus MacBain and the Island of Sleeping Kings" you know that you're in for a grand adventure when you decide to start reading this exciting coming of age story.

The story begins with young Angus MacBain standing at his dying grandfather's bedside.
"You're thirteen now, almost a man. You've got to be brave. Remember, you're a MacBain." -- "The arrangements have already been made. There will be no funeral. I'm sending you to Scotland."--Dunca
Joood Hooligan
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I'm a fan of Celtic mythology, so I was very interested in reading this book to see how the author used it in her story - and I was impressed. She used the mythical creatures in a way that explained them to those who have no knowledge of them, and kept them enjoyable for those that do.

I was quickly drawn into the story and felt a connection for Angus almost immediately. He was written well and believably, enough so that I wanted to
Heather Terry
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
First, I wanted to say thank you to Juniper Grove Book Solutions and Angela Townsend for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. It was fantastic!

It’s been a little while since I’ve read a YA book and to be honest it took me a little bit to adjust…but once I did…Angela took me on a ride filled with magic, wonder and adventure! When I first saw that Juniper Grove Book Solutions was hosting a blog tour for Angus MacBain and the Island of Sleeping Kings, I immediatel
Melanie
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
**I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review**

Angus MacBain is a beautifully written YA book that will appeal to children and adults alike. Anyone who enjoyed the Tales Of Harry Potter will devour this adventure of a young boy in Scotland that is filled to the brim with magic and intrigue, yet is described in such a way that younger members will appreciate and get swept up in the story too.
The descriptions are outstanding, the characters easy to relate to (not an easy task t
Toni Kerr
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Angus MacBain is a wonderful coming-of-age adventure for young and old readers. It follows two young teens as they explore the magical world of Iona—with all its myths and legends—and do a little growing up as well. It was really hard to put this book down! Not only because of the super fast pace and great characters, but because the Celtic mythology was fascinating and the author has such a beautiful writing style. Loved it!
Boo Vickery
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never read a book with the Main Character being a male before. This book though was amazing. I have never read a book with so many creatures! It made the book very interesting and exciting! I kept waiting for the next creature to pop up to know what it was/what it was like.

I've read all of Ms. Townsends books, and I can say creature/adventure wise, this one nailed it! The ending...... made me wanting the second book! :O Dang it!
Cara
I didn't really care what happened to the characters. I also think the story could've done with a better editor. There were parts that felt pretty unnecessary and the end felt crazy rushed.
Lyndsey
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This is awkward but I kept thinking this was about Magnus from the Cassandra Clare books. Not sure if the author got inspiration from them or what. This book is about Angus Macbain. He ends up being a from a royal family. His father and all those other generations were kings. You can tell he has magic in him. I don't remember if the author came out and said what he was. His mom is a selkie. Of course in all magical stories, there's someone with a greater power who wants to kill you. You need to ...more
Kristen
Sep 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF at 54%, and I don't know why I continued to read that far. Poorly written, this book seems as though it might be YA (is it? I'm not sure), but it's bad even for a younger audience. There's no "showing," only "telling." The sentences are choppy and simplistic, and nearly every noun is preceded by an awkward adjective. It reads as a second grader's first story writing exercise. I really wanted to read it all and love it, because I'm all about Scotland, and I've actually recently visited all th ...more
Susan
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this as an ebook. I didn't have any expectations, and ended up greatly pleased with this first book in the Angus MacBain series. The reader is transported from New York to the Scottish isle of Iona. Angus discovers his aunt isn't who or what he thought. He is quickly transported into the history of Scottish kings, and learns that he has been given a quest to defeat evil and save the world he knows from evil, including his mom who is a Selkie. Excellent read with short chapters. Definitely ...more
Tina
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love finding little known hems like this book. One reviewer said if you love Harry. I have respectfully disagree. This book should stand on it's on merit but if you HAD to companies I would say more Percy Jackson. The author takes you into the world of Scottish lore and does a great job of explaining each new creature without changing the flow of the book. Very child appropriate but still fun for adults. I'm going to buy the second book so I can continue this fun. I see this book rising to the ...more
Sharon Hughson
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a fun middle grade adventure in the vein of Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series.
There were a few "too convenient" moments for me to find it plausible, but it's a fantasy after all. The ending was also predictable.
The writing was strong, encouraging me to pick up other books by this author (but not this series). I just didn't fall in love with Angus MacBain the way I need to if a story rates five stars from me.
Mary Quire
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is such a wonderful tale. I love the mystery which shrouds Angus's family and the author did a great job creating such a fantastic journey. I found myself sucked into it at the first page and I look forward to more of Angus's adventures.
Jazlyn Unbedacht
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Needs some work.
Margot M. Gregory
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fun read

Good story line. Clean free of explicit content. Great read for teens. Would be a good story for a group read.
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Probably great for young readers. Rambling and disjointed for an adult who usually loves kids' books. I lost interest early on and gave up at 81%.
Michele Skinner
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty interesting, a little young for me though since the main characters were younger teens, but I still enjoyed the book.
Liz
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
The plot of this was interesting, but the writing was poor. There was a major lack of description and build-up. It killed any sense of anticipation or excitement.
Jessica Cowgill
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First off.. Love that cover!!
Revka
Jul 11, 2015
Della
Jan 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Starchild: The City of Souls (Starchild, #2)
  • Cerberus (Solace, #1)
  • Second Chances 101 (Ripple Effect Romance #5)
  • Lost and Found (Ripple Effect Romance #4)
  • Silver Linings (Ripple Effect Romance #2)
  • Immersed (Ripple Effect Romance #6)
  • Righting a Wrong (Ripple Effect Romance #3)
  • Jack Templar and the Lord of the Vampires (The Templar Chronicles, #3)
  • Jake & The Gingerbread Wars (The Gryphon Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Cascade Brides (Cascade Brides #1-3)
  • Home Matters (Ripple Effect Romance #1)
  • Fallen (The Transformed, #0.5)
  • Believe
  • Lethal Journey
  • You Belong with Me (Love and Dessert Trilogy, #1)
  • Blood Oath (Gabby Girls Adventure, #2)
  • Egypt Rising
  • Blog This (Tenderness and Terror #1)
Angela J. Townsend is a filmmaker and a traditionally published, award-winning author of gothic horror. Angela is a proud member of the Author's Guild in NYC. Angela is represented by the former Vice President of Paramount pictures, M. Kenneth Suddleson. She has a motion picture, the Forlorned based on one of her books and many others coming soon.

In 2018 Angela won a noteable trademark lawsuit ov

Angus Macbain (2 books)
  • Angus MacBain And The Agate Eyeglass (Angus MacBain #2)
“All greed leads to destruction.” 8 likes
“The first time I saw him I didn’t know if he was wearing a beard or eating a muskrat.” 4 likes