Start by marking “The Night After I Lost You (The Lynburn Legacy, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Night After I Lost You (The Lynburn Legacy, #1.5)

The Night After I Lost You

(The Lynburn Legacy #1.5)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  1,150 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
A Lynburn Legacy present for you, my petal darlings.

Set the night after the end of Unspoken, before all the action of Untold. You have to keep moving in a Gothic mystery. But sometimes you can take a night to be sad.

Ferdy
Meh. A shorter and less entertaining version of Ash, Jared, Kami and co's usual teen angst, melodrama and self-pity.
Sandra
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Heartbreaking.

Of all the beautiful things authors do, one of my favourite is when they're not shy to explore their character's personalities; granting them complexity and depth in order to help you understand them.

Characters like Ash are often thrown into a story but rarely explored deeply. Thankfully, Sarah Rees Brennan allowed us to get to know him better and it was truly emotional.

Ash wants to please his father and therefore does questionable things; he's a confused guy but a good one, deep i
Sami
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well, now that I'm well and properly depressed, I suppose it's time to jump right into Untold.
My gosh, and I thought I was sad when I finished Unspoken. Sarah sure does know how to write the lost and lonely ones.

So hop on the sad train for a quick foray into the aftermath of Unspoken. Surely, you didn't think everyone just went to bed that night, right?
Saruuh Kelsey
Shh listen! What's that noise? It's close ... really close ... what is it?

Oh yeah, IT'S ME SOBBING.
Ails
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it
It could've been better if it was from Jared's POV. I really really really wanna know what's on his mind after that heartbreaking scene at the end of Unspoken. In this novella, we could only see how Jared had acted that very day from Ash's POV. Still, I'm sending Sarah Rees a big thanks and e-hugs and e-kisses for giving us a glimpse of what happened after the first book. I love iiiit but I just really wanted something from Jared's POV. :P
Teresa
4 Stars

I started reading this series two days ago. And I have already read everything but Untold, the third novel coming out sometime in 2014. 2014... WTF!!!

Okay,okay, uhhhh(deep calming breath).
It is a sad but true fact I have read:
The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
The Summer Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.5)
Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)
The Night After I Lost You (The Lynburn Legacy, #1.5)
Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
And now I have to wait until SOM
Dani
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-story
Upon discovering the existence of this short story, I was a tad over the moon. Upon discovering that it was from Ash’s POV, I was possibly a little less so.

Ash. Not so much my favorite character upon finishing Unspoken. No, not at all.

But upon reading the short, walking through the fallout of Unspoken’s conclusion in Ash’s shoes, I began to feel… dare I say it? Sympathetic, maybe a smidge understanding, even. But before I get too spoilery as to why, I’ll limit myself to this: The Night After I L
Ceecee
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I AM SO MAD AT JARED. UGH I WISH HE WOULD STOP ACTIBG SO EMO.

But anyway, this short story is written in Ash's POV and i must say that i feel deeply for him, after i doubted him in Unspoken. Brennan managed to develop ash into a character you could care for, who is not 2 dimensional. We meet him as this gorgeous and charming young man in Unspoken, albeit a suspicious one, but even though my suspicions were confirmed, in this little ebook, we find out that being the "bad guy" isn't all he is.

Brenn
Tatiana
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Вроде бы рассказ не о чем, но все-таки прочитала с удовольствием. Всегда интересно так сказать "залезть в голову" каждому персонажу. Мне стало жаль Эша :')

Огромное спасибо девочкам из bookish_addicted, не перестают нас радовать :)
Louisa
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh, so good, yet so sad, enjoyed it so much, and now the wait for the new year to read the rest of the series begins!
mith
The Lynburn mothers seem to have a knack for not liking their offspring.
Rebecca ♥ Warner, Kishan, Magnus ♥
I thought this would be about Kami, and that the title was referring to Jared. But it was about Ash, and I have no idea who he lost. Everyone?
Smartinella
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
She gave him a smile that was too much effort for her to make and too much generosity for him to deserve, and waved to him after all. Ash wanted to keep the smile, press it in a book like a girl might with a flower, to take out and remember how sweet it had once smelled and think of her beloved. He wanted to ask Kami for another chance and promise that he wouldn’t hurt her again. Even if that was an empty promise, in a world where it seemed everyone hurt everybody else.
The girls turned away, wa
Leigh Louise
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this short story!

Okay, so I have literally just finished reading the first book and have come straight to this story (trying to read it all in order). And, before this story, I can honestly say that I actually despised Ash and didn't see any retribution for him because I generally thought he wasn't a good sort - (dude, if you're going to go off and kill animals just for a power hit, and go along with your father, fully knowing that he was demanding human sacrifices, then you have some s
Arie ☂
Ash reaaaaally needs a hug.
Ash had always wanted someone who would be kind to him, because kindness felt like approval or something close to it. Someone who would smile when they saw him, be easily pleased by him because he was so tired of people being disappointed. Someone who would be glad he was there.

Nicole
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I hate (love you) so much Sarah. Great insight into Ash. I wouldn't say Ash is one of my favourite characters, but I do feel very sorry for him. I hate that he thinks of himself as better than the non-sorcerers but then again that's not really his fault, brainwashing by his parents (well Rob) so ~ The main thing that stuck with me after this story was Jared's lines ugh no stop making him hate himself and mock himself and just no stop it
Nikki
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Crystal Elizabeth
A short and simple exploration into Ash's head after the events of Unspoken. We meet a vulnerable, lonely boy seeking out something he's never had, and coming up short. Ash is such a lonely character, and this was quiet surprising. His relationship with the characters around him, including his parents, are limited in what they offer him, and I did feel very sorry for him.
Giovanna
Feb 19, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5

Damn, now I feel like I have to like Ash. He is like a lost puppy with big, sad eyes and now it's impossible not to pity him. So now Surly is being a jackass in excruciating pain and Blondie is a little bit broken. Well. I don't even know how to feel anymore I can't imagine what little will be left of me after Untold.
kimber
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i loved this so much. a perfect (albeit depressing as hell) stepping stone from the first to the second book, which is currently waiting for me at the library. i just want to hug both ash and jared until the end of time.
Risa
Loved it.
Oh Jared.

“Good!” Jared shouted. “I want to be hurt. I
want to be in so much pain that I can’t think and I
can’t remember why. That’s what I want. That’s all
I want.”
Anastasia
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it
В этом рассказе мы влезаем в голову Эша. Честно говоря, нового мало, зато самокопаний и жалости к себе много. И да, я так и не поняла, кого именно он потерял...Кэми? Или всех?
LuanaRainbow

may I say it? I love Aunt Lillian so much ♥
Rashika (is tired)
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I still love Jared but Ash deserves a huge hug.

And please don't make Lilian a bitch like Rosalind.
Alexa
I love the title so much.
Shirley
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ash just annoys me so much SIGH I JUST DON'T FEEL SORRY FOR HIM.

okay maybe i feel like a tinge of sympathy but otherwise it's just no.
Julieta
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: extras
I don't really agree with Sarah Rees Brennan's choice of PoVs for her extra stuff from the Lyburn Legacy.
It wouldn't be THAT hard to write this one from Jared's PoV!!!
Lots of angst and heartbreak in this one.
Lyra de Vríes
It's Ash POV, and so far, Ash is my least-favorite character, so I didn't enjoy it excessively. But Sarah Rees Brennan can be a really fantastic writer when she wants to be, and I was surprised to find that I liked this story more than I thought I would—I even liked Ash in parts of it, because he was finally more sympathetic than he was annoying.

Overall, this has been a good series, and I'll be sad when it's over!
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Sarah Rees Brennan is a really strong writer, but she is also one of those writers who I think does a better job with short stories than novels. It took me a really long time to get through Unspoken because it didn't hold my interest completely, but I am determined to finish the series because I had already purchased the second book in the series and don't want that money to go to waste.
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Praying For Rain (The Lotus Wars, #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)
  • The Tailor (Grisha Verse, #1.5)
  • Starcrossed City (Starcrossed, #0.5)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #1.5)
  • The Secret Journal of Beatrice Hassi Barahal
  • Stopping Time (Wicked Lovely, #2.5)
  • Portrait of a Donor (Starters, #1.75)
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • The First Midnight Spell (Spellcaster #0.5)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Among the Thorns
  • Ruled (Birthmarked, #2.5)
  • Going Dark (Blackout #0.5)
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
Sarah Rees Brennan is Irish and currently lives in Dublin. For a short stint, she lived in New York and became involved with a wide circle of writers who encouraged and supported her, including Holly Black and Cassandra Clare. She has developed a wide audience through her popular blog, mistful.livejournal.com, where she writes movie parodies, book reviews and some stories.

The Lynburn Legacy (3 books)
  • Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Six Scary Stories
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Rite of Passage
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Jilo (Witching Savannah #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Line (Witching Savannah, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Void (Witching Savannah, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
“I wanted to talk,” he said.
“I don’t want to talk,” said Jared. “And I won’t want to talk. Ever.”
“Can we just—”
“Talk?” Jared asked. “All right, if you insist. Let’s talk about the many definitions of the word no.”
5 likes
“She looked defeated, a castle stormed, torn down, with no one living inside. She looked like a hollowed-out creature, only shell and no soul.” 4 likes