Start by marking “The Butcher” as Want to Read:
The Butcher

The Butcher

A rash of grisly serial murders plagued Seattle until the infamous "Beacon Hill Butcher" was finally hunted down and killed by police chief Edward Shank in 1985. Now, some thirty years later, Shank, retired and widowed, is giving up his large rambling Victorian house to his grandson Matt, whom he helped raise.

Settling back into his childhood home and doing some renovations
Published July 15th 2014 by Gallery Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Butcher, please sign up.

Robert
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
On the one hand, I could give this book a scathing review, clap my hands together and walk away; on the other, I could do a bit more analysis, delve a bit deeper than its rusty surface, and throw in a few psychobabble terms for my handful of diligent readers out there. Let’s see, I think we’ll go with Option B, Alex, and let’s make it for $600, just to make things interesting. And…here…we…go.

More than a few reviewers have been less than generous, and if I could offer up a deduction, I’d say it s
The Butcher is a standalone thriller written by Jennifer Hillier. The storyline follows multiple characters present day and it has a few episodes of flashbacks as we get acquainted with the horrors The Butcher inflicted on his past victims. Yes, The Butcher is one of the characters this storyline follows, and no, his identity is not a mystery to the reader. He is revealed during an incredibly engaging beginning, and I found the overall plot to be quite creative as we watch an aged serial killer ...more
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
May 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Captain Obvious.
Laughter photo Throwourheadsbackinlaughter_zpsc9227297.gif

Coincidence upon coincidence upon coincidence. Did I mention that the book is chock full of coincidences?
My bullshitometer was off the charts with this one.

Bullshit is calling photo Bullshitiscalling_zps0ad36ce4.gif

Full review to come.
Tim The Enchanter
A Thriller Without the Thrills - 2 Stars

When a book holds itself out to be a thriller, especially one that involves a notable serial killer, I expect there to be some suspense. I can tell you right now who the killer in this book was. It wouldn’t be a spoiler. Read the first chapter and you will know within two minutes. In fairness to the author, I believe she was trying to be bold and take a different approach to the often formulaic telling of crime thriller. Sometimes an author steps out o
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~

Let the eye rolling begin... This was just bad, plain bad. I have read Hillier before and quite enjoyed them. But this was a train wreck. I don't know why I stayed with it so long. I got to about 3/4th's of the way in and NOPE!
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of crime, fans of thrillers
I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review.

You have got to love a good serial killer book right? Well I do anyway, this one was a bit different to a lot I have read and I really enjoyed every single word, it was a fast read for me as it grabbed me from page one to the last full stop.

The Butcher is an aptly named serial killer due to his MO with his killing spree, he most certainly is not a likeable character. This book brings the criminal
Judy Collins
Jennifer Hillier’s THE BUTCHER, is by far the evilest suspense psychological thriller—hooking you from the front cover, keeping you entranced until the last word. You then look up and say, “Wow, what just happened here?” No, he didn't. This is one twisted and sick guy . . . OMG!

• Front Cover: Stunning-drawing you into this intriguing, sick, twisted, psychological mind
• Publisher’s summary: Right on—a book I want to read!
• The Story: THE BUTCHER was totally epic in every way. What a chilling ride
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars

The Butcher is a highly entertaining & addicting page-turner. This not a traditional mystery, but rather a psychological thriller, since the identity of the villain of the story is exposed in the first chapter. The story is a touch unbelievable with so many coincidences that will require reader to suspend their disbelief and just go along with the downward spiral of events.

The villain was the most interesting and well developed character in this story. Vulgar and sociopathic, this i
Patrice Hoffman
WOW!!! The Butcher by Jennifer Hillier is quite a story. I feel like it's been such a long time since reading about a sociopathic serial killer as heinous as the Butcher.

During the 80s, a killer named The Butcher wreaked havoc on Seattle. Many women were afraid to be outside after dark, choosing not to risk the chances of being raped, killed, and missing a left hand. "The Butcher" was eventually caught and killed by the police. Life goes on and eventually the murders stop... or have they?

Before
Erin Clemence
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This review is for the audiobook of “The Butcher” by Jennifer Hillier, read by Dan John Miller, published by RecordedBooks.
Audio: 3 stars Dan John Miller is the first American narrator I’ve heard since starting on audio books. I hope that this doesn’t speak for the rest of the American narrators I will explore. Although Dan John Miller is expressive and clear, his characterization could use some work (especially for the female roles). Although Chief/Edward was performed very well, it would’v
Raven
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book centres on Edward Shank, a retired Seattle police chief, now at the mercy of his health and struggling with his transition into residence at a seniors home. Widely acclaimed for halting the career of serial killer The Butcher 30 years previously, Shank is a highly respected figure, and a man who still affords a great deal of respect in Seattle society. Having passed the ownership of his home to his grandson Matt- an up and coming chef on the cusp of TV celebrity status- we see Shank adj ...more
Desere
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing

This was by far one of the best thrillers I've ever read. It was so bone-chilling I could actually feel the killer slicing into his victims, and you can bet I looked around more than once thinking I heard something!

The book's focus is mainly on the killings but also of the people directly related to the killer, of course they have no idea they are related to him, but this of course just added to the thrill of it all.

I will say that I felt slightly disappointed that the author revealed the killer
Jimmmunchel
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
KICKED MY ASS AROUND THE BLOCK AND BACK!

THE BUTCHER

By Jennifer Hillier

Anyone that knows me has some idea about my obsession with Jennifer Hillier’s past thriller. In my humble opinion both FREAK and CREEP are the sleepers that ‘creep’ into the recesses of your mind and nestle there and fester way after you are finished reading them. Not a pretty description but appropriate.

I cannot tell you how thrilled I was to receive an arc of her newest stand alone-sih thriller THE BUTCHER. The ‘ish’ is ther
Cassie-Traveling Sister-
Wow where to begin... what would you do if your grandfather the chief of police is moving into a retirement home and gives you his old house, but while having a deck added on to the house you discover a huge crate with dead woman’s left hands, pictures locks of hair and a vhs video hat shows your grandfather raping and murdering young woman??! That’s the dilemma Matthew finds himself into! To add fuel to the fire his grandfather supposedly had solved the serial murder case they called the butche ...more
Mike Patrick
This would be a straight to Red Box movie starring Ian Ziering as Matt and a Clint Eastwood wannabe as The Butcher. Very "As The World Turns" with its clunky plotting and sleazy character development! I feel like taking a long shower to wash the story away with it's disturbing imagery. Take care y'all!
Sue
I wish to thank the author and the publisher, Simon & Schuster, for a free download of "The Butcher" by Jennifer Hillier via NetGalley.

In 1985 police chief Edward Shank, tracked down and killed a serial killer nicknamed as the "Beacon Hill Butcher", a psychopath, who operated out of the Seattle area. Now thirty years later, Shank is retired, living in a retirement home, and gave his grandson, Matt, his Victorian house.

Matt, a young chef and restaurateur, while making renovations to the house
Wendy
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sep-14
I just love discovering a new mystery/thriller author and Jennifer Hillier is the one! I now must read "Creep" and "Freak" after thoroughly enjoying "The Butcher".
The author creates a monster, The Butcher, and although we know the identity of this horrific villain at the beginning of the story, this doesn't take away from the shocking and spine-tingling gruesome events that follow.
A wonderful cast of characters and a truly unpredictable plot make "The Butcher" a top-notch psychological thriller
Erin *Help I’m Reading and I Can’t Get Up*
4 stars. Great!
I really enjoyed this one! You know everything up front (which was a welcome change from my last read, one of those where it's all confusion and misdirects for 200 pages and then 50 pages of slapdash conclusion), and you get in fairly deep with the characters. I loved Sam, and I even felt a creepy connection to the Chief. Matt was fleshed out fairly well, too, but now that I think about it, Jason could have used some more background/depth (why did I feel like he was getting set up
Dita
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved the concept, and so often a great idea doesn't materialize into a good read. Fortunately, this is not one of those times. Hillier has developed as a writer; this one grabs you by the gut from the first few pages and doesn't let go until the last page. It's not a whodunnit, the publisher gets 1 star for making it seem so, but rather a ride-along with a psychopath, and I was happy to be strapped in.
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
This book was a mess.The characters are unlikeable,at best."Sam" is a mealy-mouthed dishrag,her reaction to one scene in this book is just criminal.The male characters are so creepy,and not in a good way,that I feel the reader has a hard time getting past it. It was also a little too "romancey",again in a creepy way, for me.
Overall, I had a hard time finishing the book and I will be giving this author a skip in the future.
Brandie
Mar 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Where's the suspense in know the killer at the very beginning. It started out interesting but then I got bored and lost interest. Especially when I knew what the outcome was going to be. Disappointing because I really liked this authors previous book.
Yzabel Ginsberg
(I got an ARC through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. Quotes liable to change upon publishing.)

From now on, I'm going to maintain that this book was classified in the wrong genre.

Let's be upfront: as a thriller, I'm giving it 2 stars, and that's being kind. It didn't keep me on the seat of my edge. It didn't give me, well, the thrills. The mystery wasn't so well-done, and rested upon a lot of coincidences, such as people stumbling upon others in the middle of a conversation. I see w
Ryan Dejonghe
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Sorry for the crude analogy, but this book climaxed before the foreplay. What book reveals the killer in chapter 2? Seriously! I was happily reading along, then BAM, here’s a video of the killer doing disturbing things to his victims. The remaining contents of the book teased along the characters in all-too-convenient plot points that lead to a predictable and ordinary conclusion. Shouldn’t we have been guided along by clues before the big reveal?

Speaking of conveniences—wowzers. Where do we beg
Erin
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm ashamed to admit I had no expectations going into The Butcher. I'd never heard of Jennifer Hillier and while I was vaguely interested in the premise, the deciding factors in my reading the book were that it'd recently been made available to me via Netgalley and it wasn't historic fiction. An in-between read, it wasn't supposed to be a compulsive page turner nor was it supposed to completely overwhelm my imagination for the two days I spent reading it. It wasn't supposed to, but it did.

Some
Paul Pessolano
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
“The Butcher” by Jennifer Hillier, published by Gallery Books.

Category – Mystery/Thriller Publication Date – July 15, 2014

If you have read Jennifer Hillier’s first two books, “Creep” and “Freak” you know that you are in for a treat.

Matt Shank is a very ambitious man, so ambitious that his three favorite things are his restaurant, the Seahawks, and his girlfriend. Yes, his girlfriend is number three on the list and he treats her as his third love. Matt’s grandfather was the Chief of Police for th
May Fungi From Yuggoth
Tremendously disturbing, psychologically profound, unstoppable, implacable, unforgettable. Jennifer Hillier is a first-rate author. I am changed by this book in profound and unexpected ways.
Maureen DeLuca
Giving this a 3 star --- maybe 3.5 -- I first discovered Jennifer Hillier when I read Creep and then followed by Freak both of these books were a solid 4 star rating from me- ( If there were a 1/2 star rating - I most likely would have rated the both of them 4.5)

This book was listed as a psychological thriller--- to me it was more of a 'drama'
This book is a bit different- right off the bat we know who the Butcher is- so we know the who, the how and the why. So while reading this book - you are
Suspense Magazine
Sam and Matt have been together for three years, but Matt is still reluctant to move past the status quo. He is really busy with his new food truck, he’s about to star in a cooking show, and he has his grandfather’s house to renovate. Sam is a true crime writer that is obsessed with the “Beacon Hill Butcher” because she thinks he is the man that killed her mother. The problem with this theory is that “The Butcher” was already dead when her mother was murdered.
Matt’s grandfather, the former chief
Crime, Mysteries ...: Butcher, The - November 2014 11 81 Dec 29, 2014 01:16AM

• Through the Cracks
  • One of Us
  • Lonely Graves (Pieter Posthumus Trilogy, #1)
  • Letters From a Murderer (Finley Jameson & Joseph Argenti #1)
  • By Any Means (Detective Ash Rashid #3)
  • The Catch
  • Bone Dust White (Macy Greeley, #1)
  • The Memory Killer (Carson Ryder #11)
  • Øjesten (Lars Winkler #1)
  • The Goddaughter (Gina Gallo, #1)
  • Unite (Project Integrate, #1)
  • The Murder Code
  • The Whispers (The Hollows - Short Story, #1)
  • Deadly Obsession (Brown and de Luca, #4)
  • Silent Partner: The Graphic Novel
  • Soho Slasher: Jack Is Back: A Harbinger Crossover Novel to International Hunters, Inc.
  • Snapshot
  • The Hidden Girl
Jennifer Hillier writes about dark, twisted people who do dark, twisted things. Born and raised in Toronto and a proud Canadian, she spent eight years in the Seattle area, which is where all her books are set.

She loves her son, her husband, the Seahawks, and Stephen King. Not equally, but close. She's the author of five novels. Her newest psychological thriller JAR OF HEARTS, is available now from
“He didn’t know whether to kill himself, or someone else.” 4 likes
“Maybe there was no rewind button for life, but surely Matt could change the channel.” 3 likes