Start by marking “The Bad Box” as Want to Read:

The Bad Box

Sarah Temple hopes to find a bit of peace and quiet when she leaves her abusive boyfriend, but instead she finds a world of horror. It’s bad enough that a sadistic serial killer and another maniac are both trying to murder her, but what’s worse is the mysterious Solitary One who controls both of them, a malevolent entity that the serial killer describes as a living darknes ...more
Published June 23rd 2013 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about The Bad Box, please sign up.
Harvey Click Michelle, I composed the quote myself. Dr. Raymond Brown, whom I credit for translating it from Latin, is a real-life friend of mine who teaches Engli…moreMichelle, I composed the quote myself. Dr. Raymond Brown, whom I credit for translating it from Latin, is a real-life friend of mine who teaches English at OSU (and knows Latin). The lines of the quote form the titles of the seven sections of the novel. I liked the idea of making the seven section titles work together as a mysterious poem that obliquely describes the plot and structure of the novel.
(less)

Start your review of The Bad Box
Angel Gelique
This is the best horror story I've read in a long while. Review to come....

-----

WOW! When I start a review with "wow," you can be sure that I thoroughly enjoyed the book! This one had it all--excellent writing, a unique and imaginative storyline, suspense, action, adventure, mystery, horror and gore.

I was immediately drawn into this incredible story as I met the mysterious young Angel, a little girl who emerges from some sort of underground dwelling. My curiosity was instantly piqued. Who is she
John Monk
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Harvey Click might actually be evil. He probably gasses his car up 6.66 gallons at a time, that’s how evil he might be. If you were to say “Harvey Click” in the mirror 100 times at midnight, on Halloween, nothing would happen because that’s just silly…but it would sure creep you out.

On the advice of Lindy Moone, I eventually got around to reading “The Bad Box”. This novel, hands down, is one of the finest examples of the horror genre I’ve ever read. It certainly stands toe-to-toe with a book I t
P.T. Hylton
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book just before bed last night. At about three in the morning, I woke up and considered going to the bathroom. A scene from this book popped into my head, I considered the dark hallway between me and the toilet, and I decided to go back to sleep.

This book is not for the faint of heart. But if you don't mind a scary and VERY gruesome tale, the Bad Box is hard to beat. It reminded me of Jack Ketchum and Richard Laymon. The story is unique and feels a little pulpy. The writing is
Carol Kean
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't even like the horror genre, but the same theme that led me to that horrible horror story "Demon Frenzy"-a sister who lost a brother-grabs me again here, even though the cover art of The Bad Box is more horrifying {{ buried alive - shudder! }}. Harvey Click, stop tempting me with these lurid, dark, disturbing tales. You hear me? STOP!

QUICK SYNOPSIS: Sarah Temple leaves her abusive boyfriend and moves into an apartment complex in the worst part of town, where her neighbors include a tough
TDCbookreviews
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
By Harvey Click

****Disclaimer: This book gets DARK!! Just about every trigger you could think of gets touched on. You have been warned!****

Sarah Temple moves in the hopes of leaving her abusive ex boyfriend behind. A choice she soon regrets when all it does it put a sadistically evil serial killer on her trail. Finding out that both her stalkers are being controlled by The One- "a living darkness, a man and yet not a man, something that's alive and yet not alive" is the topping on the
Lauren
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, book-club
When starting Bad Box, I was a little reticent. I appreciate horror and gore, but usually I don't find it scary. It comes across as gross, which is fine, but I'm more amazed at what the writer's mind can imagine. With Harvey Click, I am terrified of what he was able to dream up.

The first half of the story, before Baby makes a physical appearance, I could not stop turning the pages. The line between supernatural and real life was blurred to a point where you didn't know where it started. I found
Ramona Plant
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow, where to start with this one! Harvey is an excellent author that skillfully makes your skin crawl in his book " The Bad Box". He captivated me from the very first page and slowly unfolded this nightmare to me. The pace of the book is perfect and has a very unique plot. It is one of those books that are tough to put down! There are so many well developed twists in this story that keep you guessing until the very end.

Sarah is an adorable heroine, who gets stuck in this nightmare, but than
Daniel Barnett
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Let me get two things out of the way before I start. First, I didn't come to the rating of three-stars easily. It's my gunpoint-score. Which is to say that if someone were to hold a pistol to my head and demand a rating, I would end up shouting "3!"

After a considerable amount of sweating.

Second, I'm approaching this review on my tiptoes, a little frightened of it, because I'm worried that my disappointment will lead me to come off too harsh. See, here's the thing. I don't get disappointed by b
Diane
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I hated this novel.

No, the five stars I gave it are not a mistake. Because I kept reading, right ‘til the end. Hated every plot twist, every disturbing scene. But no way in hell was I going to put the thing down. By the time I realized how badly I hated this novel, I realized I would hate not knowing how it ended even worse.

My hat is off to Harvey Click. I don’t read much horror, don’t care for the genre at all. I read this one on the recommendation of a friend who assured me the writing was tra
Charles Ray
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When Sarah Temple left her abusive boyfriend she was hoping to find peace. After moving to a seedy part of town, she finds herself in a building where she knows little about her neighbors, but she has some peace and quiet at last, until, Peter, an egotistical bully, tracks her down. Peter, in an effort to make her jealous, hooks up with her mysterious upstairs neighbor, Angel, and that’s when things start going off the rails. Angel is not just mysterious, she’s deadly, and Sarah gets caught up i ...more
C.W. Thomas
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Horror isn't usually my cup of tea, but "The Bad Box" was recommended to me by a trusted source and it didn't disappoint. The story kept me guessing, the plot was very well executed, and the disturbing imagery was intense, creepy, and toe-curlingly fun!

Author Harvey Click is a noteworthy name among indie authors and he crafts his third person narrative with strong visuals that beg for a movie adaptation. You can see the story happening so clearly with every bloody, shocking, and monstrous descri
Randy
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Straight to my favorites shelf! This was a great horror story, highly recommend. Something I really liked about this book is the way it unfolded. I don't want to give anything away because the unveiling of the plot layers is one of the best things about this but I loved how each act evolved into an almost different story than what I thought I'd get by reading the previous act. A person trapped in a box, a woman murdering strangers, an ethereal spirit, dark magic, demons, etc., etc. it had a litt ...more
Shanna Raymundo
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Remarkably gripping

Had me turning pages way past midnight. I love how good writing can captivate me so much. While i am not the usual avid reader of the horror genre, I make an exception on this one. Thank you Harvey Click!
Ray Litt
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I dug right into The Bad Box from the first page, not only because horror is my preferred genre, but because Harvey elicits from me exactly what I want when I read any genre, time and time again: wayward loyalty.

I don't know who to side with and when, and just when I'm sure that someone is all good, Harvey wades me through artfully crafted gore to the devil within each and every one.

This book is not for the weak, but don't think that that means his imagery is gratuitous; it carries the plot effi
Underground Book Reviews
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gus Dietrick puts his two grandkids in a box when he punishes them. An evil presence in the box establishes a relationship with one of the children. He is a manipulative entity with vile intentions, just waiting for the child to grow up so that she could help him with his plan. The Bad Box is the story of how his evil plan gets tangled up in the innocent Sarah Temple’s life.

Sarah is also a victim of abuse. She leaves her abusive boyfriend and finds a cheap apartment in the worst part of town. T
Ana Meyer
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Harvey Click for preventing me from sleeping last night. This is horror at its finest. I will give nothing away as that spoils the joy of reading horror. You will root for the good guys as they are likable and fear the bad, they are terrifying. The ending was satisfying and fitting with the storyline. If you love a good scare then add this one to your bookshelf. Oh but read it with the lights on.
Elisa
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good horror novel with intelligent characters and a nice twist in the end. It was just a little scattered, really important characters are forgotten in the middle of the book, and some secondary guys you hardly thought about ended up being really important. Still, it was a fun horror book that won't make you roll your eyes at how stupid the characters are.
Cynthia
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Evil abounds from the bad box into the depths of a vindictive grave. Two foes are in the battle of their existence moving the pawns on the chess boards to do their bidding. Incredible journey for the deviant in many. Good suspence in this supernatural thrill ride. This book is not for the light reading reader.
Brian S. Shipe
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story

From the beginning,the story draws you further and further into a well written and complex plot.I have read another from this author and I must say,he hits the nail on the head for horror stories.Marvelous book.
Aly
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great scary book for Halloween!! I loved the book and this is a great author I think. I enjoyed the story and everything about this book. I would read form this author for sure. You should check this book out! * I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*
Skeetor
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fantasy
A great book. It starts out like a common horror story but then evolves into so much more. To me it has slight undertones of fantasy as well. It kept me turning pages into the night. My husband loved it also.
We both look forward to reading more of Mr. Click’s works.
Ronald Keeler
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Starting out with the comment that this is not a spoiler, in The Bad Box by Harvey Click, the bad box is a coffin. It might be a coffin look-alike, such as an abandoned refrigerator. Any material could be used for construction. The only requirement is that there are air holes. The purpose is a sensory deprivation of its inhabitants although some box managers carried this to an extreme. Eva Dietrick had gone a bit far by leaving Angel, her granddaughter, in the bad box so long that she died and A ...more
Christina Petty
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was surprised as how much I liked this one. It started out kind of weird, but as the plot unraveled, I couldn’t quit reading. And bonus points for it taking place in Ohio!
Ron Reese
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Definitely , a little more complex horror , instead of the standard fare . Great book loved it .great writer.
Marjorie
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked how I couldn't see where book was going. It had unexpected twist and turns. Keep my interest though out.
Chris
Nov 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: tumblr-reviewed
First off, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I know for a fact that self-published work has a stigma to it, and my last couple independent reads have left me skeptical as to the overall quality you’re getting sans publisher. Click’s book is tightly written, and the plot is both well thought out and plays fair with the reader. By that I mean the means to the ending are definitely in play well before you get there.

I think the characters, too, were both the strongest part of the book, and t
lynda  dwight
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, owned
at first it seemed a little slow mostly cause I didn't get it at first but as I kept going the puzzle came together and I couldn't put it down. before I knew it I was reading for two hours straight. there are a few editing errors I caught but they don't take away from the story. there is on typo that is confusing and that's towards the end where a character is introduced as an ill sister but the next page she is the assumed daughter. im not sure if that is a mistake or if it is the second charac ...more
Teena Renken
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A thrilling story

A very interesting storyline. A girl leaves her abusive boyfriend only to get drawn into something worst. I found this book very creepy, until the end. I was disappointed with the final battle
Asia Casanova-Cancela
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Page Turner

Kept my attention throughout the entire storyline. It is filled with a balance between both fantasy and reality. I remained intrigued by the action and gore.
Richard Schiver
Aug 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Craven Manor
  • The Twisted Ones
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • The Evil
  • Found Shadows
  • Tokyo: A Certain Style
  • La Belle Fleur Sauvage: Plague of the Womb
  • The Book of Spite: A Collection of Extreme Cosmic Horror Stories
Harvey Click earned an M.A. in English from Ohio State University, using his first novel as a master's thesis. He has written six other novels, four of them in the horror genre, and two collections of short horror stories. He has taught both English and creative writing for Ohio University, Ohio State University, the James Thurber House, and OSU's Creative Arts Program.