Start by marking “Salt” as Want to Read:

Salt

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  15,327 ratings  ·  1,559 reviews
salt. a literary work.
Published September 24th 2013 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Salt, please sign up.
Lori Jenessa Nelson The collection is a beautiful expression of black culture, the darkness, the light, and all of the colors in between black and white. It is edgy,…moreThe collection is a beautiful expression of black culture, the darkness, the light, and all of the colors in between black and white. It is edgy, profound, and unapologetic in its brutal honesty. (less)
Hailey Bianchi it's mostly put her pain and suffering into words. Yes, it is hard to follow but just letting the words sink in and thinking about what each passage…moreit's mostly put her pain and suffering into words. Yes, it is hard to follow but just letting the words sink in and thinking about what each passage could mean helped me.
(less)

·  15,327 ratings  ·  1,559 reviews

Riley
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I decided to pick this up on a whim for #DiverseAThon and I am beyond happy that I did. This was extremely powerful and moving. Many of the poems brought me to tears. This is without a doubt the best poetry collection I have ever read.
I am amazed at how in just a few short words, Nayyirah can invoke so much emotion.
I will definitely be reading this again many many times.

I am going to insert a few of my favorite poems, but seriously every single one is a gem.

I am the line.
on both sides
Nicole
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
These poems prove how powerful words are, most of them are only 3 lines long, but they hit me like a 1000 page novel.
Nat
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
salt. is a journey through warmth and sharpness. This collection of poetry explores the realities of multiple identities, language, diasporic life & pain, the self, community, healing, celebration, and love.

This was one of the most important poetry collection I’ve read to date.
In the short amount of pages that I got to read, I felt like I got to know both myself and the author so well. Nayyirah Waheed captivated me from start to finish.

Here are a few (...too many) of my favorites:

“even the s

pain and anger
over being stabbed
making you sad.
"white guilt"

And that is just from the last 20 pages of this collection.
Whitney Atkinson
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2017
4.5 Stars

I was highly anticipating this, and I wasn't disappointed! Really eye-opening about race and gender, especially from the eyes of a woman of color. I definitely think it's a valuable read.

I'm super picky with writing style in poetry, and I was pleased with this. Most of the poems ended up being shorter than I expected, but they were short without being pretentious or overly-simple. The writing is imaginative and clever enough to let the short pieces stand for themselves, but the longer p
Thomas
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A powerful and heartrending collection of poetry about identity, race and racism, the difficult yet fulfilling journey to self-love, and more. I so appreciate how Nayyirah Waheed makes her writing both powerful and soft, identifying the cruelties that come from prejudice and discrimination as well as the healing that accompanies therapy and self-compassion. As an Asian, more feminine individual who has gone through a lot of trauma in his life, these poems speak to me on a really personal level ( ...more
Anish Kohli
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
“My whole life I have ate my tongue. Ate my tongue. Ate my tongue. I am so full of my tongue you would think speaking is easy. But it is not. Some words build houses in your throat and they live there. Content and on fire. There is a phantom language in my mouth. A tongue beneath my tongue. Will I ever remember what I sound like? Will I ever come home?”
I admit to not knowing of this author. I admit to not even knowing she had a book. Or two! I only followed her page on FB recently, content w
may ❀
i mean, the poems are nice and touching and important and all that
but
im kinda getting tired of this sort of poetry. (•_•)

it's
...annoying.
Giulia
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Salt. is a collection of poetry by Nayyirah Waheed. I wanted to know more about her and her life, but I didn't find anything. I guess we get to actually know her through her poems.
I wouldn't even call it a book because it is more than that. It isn't just a story told through written words. These poems speak to your heart. They invite you inside yourself and let you discover quieter moments and unspoken thoughts. Nayyirah gives a voice to thousands of stories while telling us just her own. She d
Kate (GirlReading)
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
stunning. simply stunning.

Salt is without a doubt the best poetry collection I've read and I know I will not only be rereading it many times throughout my life, but also recommending it to as many people as possible. I was almost moved to tears multiple times (if I didn't have such a tin man heart, I'm sure I would have been...) I couldn't recommend this more highly. I don't think I will ever tire of reading this and I'm almost certain, each time I read it, I will find else more to admire. After
Mari
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2016

I talk about rereading this book in this reading wrap-up!

This is such a brilliant collection, filled with heart and meaning, all in such a limited amount of words. I'm amazed at how much Waheed can communicate on a couple of lines and in a handful of words. She captures entire experiences and complicated emotions with a sentence and a title. It left me in awe on a number of occasions.

I didn't always understand the formatting choices. Sometimes, she breaks up lines in such a way to emphasize spe
Salt. is a beautiful and inspiring book. It will take you on a journey to explore what is it like to be a woman of color, a mother in the African diaspora and a human being.
The book was greatly blunt & straight-forward and absolutely beautiful & alluring. It was both heartbreaking and breathtaking.

I read it four times and I am pretty sure I will be re-reading it again and again. you just don't get tired of reading these words.

Here are some of my favorite parts:

my
enter
and fullstops.
⊱ Poppy ⊰
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Shelves: poetry, 2016
It still amazes me that how can words have such an effect on us. Words, "Such a simple word yet a complicated one. Some words can destroy you, some can heal you, some can change you, some can break you"

This book was utterly beautiful, yeah it is Beautiful, Amazing I must say. Because never once Poetry played with this force with my heart and mind. I am not a huge fan of poetry. But yet this book, this gem made me a fan of it. I was always wary of picking any Poetry book but now whenever I found
Fareya
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Words need not be plenty to pour your heart out. In Salt, Nayyirah Waheed has spilled out her heart and soul in brief, succinct poems. I stumbled across one of her poems on Instagram and can't say enough on how glad I am to have found out about this book.

The words in here are inspiring, enlightening and simply stunning. They would make you reflect and yearn, would make you angry but would also make you love yourself a little bit more and maybe, just maybe, hit you right where you least expect i
Fiderly
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
you.
are your own
standard of beauty.

–mirror work

One of my many favorite parts of this beautiful, powerful, moving poetry novel.
Caitlin
May 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not really my thing 🤷🏼♀ ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Wow, I did not expect this. This type of poetry isn't really my thing, but some of these were so powerful they almost brought tears to my eyes.

Some themes present in this book:
colonisation
writing
heartbreak
love
CAM ♔
Not my cup of tea. I've set the bars too high for this book because of its numerous positive reviews and for its interesting subjects such as the African culture, love, motherhood, race, self-empowerment and womanhood. I must say, there were a handful of pieces that were good, but most of her poems were lacking deeper meaning. It did touch others hearts, but not mine...
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
A good collection of poems about love, healing, harsh realities, self empowerment, feminism, travel etc. The poems are in variety. They're complex, deep, raw and heartfelt though some of them are quite hit or miss to me. Still, it's a good poetry book.
Rianna Jade
heard the name
charles bukowski.
finally,
a proper education.
— the order affects us, nayyirah waheed
Samir
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
leaving
doesn't mean that
you've left

-Nayyirah Waheed (Salt.)

There is so much of unadulterated heart in Salt. that it actually feels like a blood filled fist sized organ pumping pain in the pages of this collection. Nayyirah Waheed writes fluidly as if she is not writing in any particular language but poetry itself is a language she chose to express her thoughts on various topics. An Exquisite Read...
Aycan
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
descriptioni am a quiet singer.

belki bir yılı geçmiştir, instagram hesabıma nereden gördüğümü bilmediğim ama çok beğendiğim bi' dizenin fotoğrafını koymuştum. Onu nereden bulduysam artık, dizeleri kimin yazdığını falan öğrenememiştim. O gönderiye sürekli bakarım ve her bakışımda bana daha anlamlı gelir...
Ve roman okumaya sınır koymuş olan ben artık sıkıntıya girmişken bir şiir kitabı buldum ve bulduğum bu şiir kitabı var ya... o dizeler bunun içindeydi. Benim için ne kadar önemli bir andı, anlatamam.
sraxe
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to sraxe by: Aoi
i do not feel
i need a name or a movement
to legitimize the defense of myself.
i am a woman of color.
my bones have been
bought and sold every morning.
so, now i carry a machete in my
mouth.

–– ivory

I loved it. There were so many poems in here that I connected so strongly with, especially a good chunk in the last quarter. I wanted to update my status every two seconds and include every poem that I absolutely loved, but I had to stop myself. Some of my favourites included african american ii, ivory, runa
Ammara Abid
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, poetry
Undoubtedly, I adore this book.
What a gem!

Absolutely
Brilliant
Beautiful
&
Breathtaking.

°•●○•°°•●○•°°•● The End ●•°°•○●•°°•●•°

Obviously Not, this is my favourite and I can't let it go without adding my favourite poems ^_^

~my
mother
was
my first country.
The first place I ever lived.
__ Lands

~As a child
there was either
books
or
pain
I chose books
__ how I became a writer

~She asked
'you are in love
What does love look like'
to which I replied

Eh.
Jolien
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2017
Wow... I think this is the first poetry book I've ever read. Or at least, it's the first one I've completed. I adored it. I highlighted so many of the poems, so I can revisit them later. I bought a free Kindle copy, but I'll definitely get a physical one at some point in the future!
ellie
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, made-me-cry
salt. is incredibly well-written. I carried the phone with me to the bathroom and I swear I read like 10 more pages just standing there in the shower because I did not want to put it down. It felt so personal, and I think that's why you could really connect to the poem, because I too am a woman of color and ive felt that before. When you feel like your mother country would be so disappointed in who you have become...it's a heavy burden. But I don't know, it was weirdly heartwarming, in a way. I ...more
Ena Rusnjak Markovic
Jul 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ugh. I really need to read some good writing after reading this and milk and honey. This slightly better than m&h, but not by much, it has more integrity and conviction, at least.

The two are similar, I can see why the plagiarism claims exist. But honestly, they're mainly similar because the ideas are really superficially worked out, there's no metaphor, there's confusion, lots of feelings and no mastery.

They both fall back on using poetic imagery that makes no sense and has no discernible r
Book Riot Community
This collection of poetry is spare but still rich and nuanced. The beauty of waheed’s words illuminates her searing composition as she examines race, ethnicity, beauty, intersectional identities, and culture. This book is full of fire.

–Andi Miller

from The Best Books We Read In January 2017: http://bookriot.com/2017/02/01/riot-r...
http://leptigentry.com/lumella-eyes-serum/ 1 8 Aug 16, 2016 11:24PM
  • B
  • Questions for Ada
  • Born Palestinian, Born Black
  • After the Witch Hunt
“i don't pay attention to the
world ending.
it has ended for me
many times
and began again in the morning.”
655 likes