Start by marking “Heartless” as Want to Read:
Heartless

Heartless

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  114,743 ratings  ·  18,897 reviews
Long before she was the terror of Wonderland—the infamous Queen of Hearts—she was just a girl who wanted to fall in love.

Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland, and a favorite of the unmarried King of Hearts, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, all she wants is to open a shop with her best friend. But according to her mother, such a goa
Published November 8th 2016 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Heartless, please sign up.
John YES! And this is coming from middle a aged man who doesn't read YA, Sci-fi or any of that type of stuff. I was hooked on the first couple chapters of …moreYES! And this is coming from middle a aged man who doesn't read YA, Sci-fi or any of that type of stuff. I was hooked on the first couple chapters of Cinder. It's action, adventure, romance and SCI FI all rolled into one. (less)
Laura Heff I just finished it, and it ends without any loose ends. If Marissa Meyer were so inclined, she could continue with the Kingdom of Hearts, but I'm glad…moreI just finished it, and it ends without any loose ends. If Marissa Meyer were so inclined, she could continue with the Kingdom of Hearts, but I'm glad I don't have that "I have to wait a WHOLE YEAR?!" feeling I was anticipating. I'm a middle school English teacher and am excited to use this book as my next book recommendation for my classes. Marissa Meyer does an amazing job appealing to both girls and boys - I do wish the marketing were better towards both genders. I have to "trick" a guy or two into reading her by putting them into a Cinder book club for class and then all of the sudden they are off and devouring the Lunar Chronicles as if it were their own idea - what more could a teacher ask for? Thank you, Marissa!(less)
YA Novels of 2016
1,130 books — 9,715 voters
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
1,341 books — 6,851 voters

More lists with this book...

·  114,743 ratings  ·  18,897 reviews

Start your review of Heartless
C.G. Drews
It started off well with immense amounts of baking and the promise of the bizarre and creative nonsense that every Wonderland retelling should hold. But then...disappointment.

I had high expectations due to my love of Lewis Carroll's Wonderland. Sadly, Heartless fails.

LIKES
• There is literally so much cake and dessert.
• There IS quite a bit of the goodness of Wonderland's nonsense. Not enough though, which is annoying to me.
• Jest was actually a gift. He's the love interest, in a sort of "forbidd
Emily May
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
“These things do not happen in dreams, dear girl,” he said, vanishing up to his neck. “They happen only in nightmares.”
His head spiralled and he was gone.

This was so good. Meyer's writing and stories just seem to keep improving, and her latest foray into the world of Alice in Wonderland was exactly the right combination of prophecy, romance, Victorian-style female repression, and weirdness. It was unputdownable.

Also: I really really want macarons right now.

I mentioned this before, but I'm st
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Cheshire’s yellow eyes slitted as he held her gaze for one beat, two. Then he began to unravel from the tip of his tail, a slow unwinding of his stripes. ‘These things do not happen in dreams, dear girl,’ he said, vanishing up to his neck. ‘They happen only in nightmares.’

Honestly, I didn't have high expectations for this book after reading the "...she was just a girl who wanted to fall in love" blurb. Fortunately, I was wrong. This book was great. Don't get me wrong, it was unexpectedly dar
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Kindle US $2.99 today 11-27-17

OMG! I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND THE WHITE EDITION OF THIS BOOK TO GO WITH MY BLACK ONE AND WHAT A WONDERFUL SURPRISE TO FIND THAT IT CAME IN MY NOVEMBER OWL CRATE BOX! IN THE PICTURES I PLACED THE BLACK ONE NEXT TO THE WHITE ONE THAT WAS AN OWL CRATE EXCLUSIVE, JUST SO YOU COULD SEE WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE TOGETHER! I LOVE THEM BOTH. ALSO GOT OTHER GOODIES IN THE BOX AS USUAL! YAY! OWL CRATE FOR GETTING THE SECOND COVER (white) AND ME GETTING IT TOO. LOL

Lets freaking do
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, owned, retellings
Review/discussion: https://youtu.be/YSd8MDc98_0

Reread January 2017
Bumped rating up to 5 stars.
I decided to reread this in a 24 hour period because I want to write a paper on it (which is of course due in a couple of days). I loved it even more the second time around!

Original reading October 2016
4.5*
I loved this, but I did have a couple of issues. I was sent the audiobook to review (and do a giveaway on my channel soon!) from Macmillan so a big thank you to them! My video review will be up soon b
emma
UPDATE: I think...oh god...I think this book put me in a reading slump.
-------------------------------
At a certain point, I really have to start blaming myself. Do I have no idea of my own interests? Because I truly thought this would end up on my all-time favorites shelf, my first add to an as-yet-nonexistent 2017 favorites list. Is that not a fair expectation? After all, Alice in Wonderland is my favorite book, Marissa Meyer one of my favorite authors. This came in the best Owlcrate subscripti
Mikee (ReadWithMikee)
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing

❝Now mine eyes see the heart that once we did search for, and I fear this heart shall be mended, nevermore.❞

A big thanks to Macmillan and Fierce Reads for giving me the opportunity to snag a beautiful box and ARC of Heartless at YallWest!

(Review will be posted once we are closer to release day)

Heartless was beautifully tragic. I have no words to describe just how broken this book has left my heart.

That ending... Ugh. HEARTBREAKING.

FANS OF THE LUNAR CHRONICLES:
Beware. You might ha
Nat
Dec 23, 2015 marked it as dnf
Shelves: arc
Source

This review contains *spoilers* for the first half of this book.

Heartless is an epic retelling of Alice in Wonderland, with the focus being on The Queen of Hearts.

All Catherine wants is to be declared the office tart baker of the kingdom. She and her best friend, Mary Ann, dream of launching their very own bakery. Even their friendship hit it off upon discovering one another's mutual love for food:

“One wouldn’t know it to look at Mary Ann, but she had an appetite to rival Cath’s own.
Gillian
Sep 24, 2013 marked it as to-read

I REQUIRE THIS BOOK IN MY LIFE IMMEDIATELY.

Marissa's announcement
Natalie Monroe

“When pleased, I beat like a drum. When sad, I break like glass. Once stolen, I can never be taken back. What am I?”

Slow clap for Marissa Meyer for another amazing fairy tale retelling. Looking at the blurb, it's hard to imagine Catherine, who just wanted to open a bakery and fall in love, would ever become the short-tempered, unpredictable Queen of Hearts we all know.

The transformation is incredibly well-done. You know it's coming, that there isn't a happily ever after, but that sh
Miranda Reads
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
description

Seven of my favorite Bookish Villains in one BookTube Video!
Onwards to the written review!
description

Why is a raven like a writing-desk?
Catherine of Wonderland - the famed Evil Queen - but she was not always the maddeningly cruel creature who ruled the land with an iron fist.

Once...once the Evil Queen was a young girl with a pure heart, a bakery dream and far too many marriage proposals for her liking.
The easiest way to steal something, is for it to be given willingly.
Cath has always drea
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”It had been a hazy, beautiful dream, and in it there had been a hazy, beautiful boy. He was dressed all in black and standing in an orchard of lemon trees, and she had the distinct sensation that he had something that belonged to her. She didn’t know what it was, only that she wanted it back, but every time she took a step towards him he receded further and further away.”

And so it begins! The transformation of Lady Catherine Pinkerton of Turtle Rock Cove into the Queen of Hearts! When I started
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

With all due respect to the hatter, I am so mad, that's not even funny. That's what being trolled by a novel feels like, I guess. Above that, I am so, so disappointed. Indeed, it's no secret that my reading time has been seriously reduced over the previous months, making me wonder if I should stay on GR, because what's the point?! Heartless, though? It sounded so amazing that I made room for it, school and politics be damned. I wish I would have loved it, but apparently it wasn't meant to be. Si
jessica
i picked this up because i had seen a fair amount of reviews telling me this was a book that would make me sob and ive been wanting to feel emotionally invested in a story lately. but i must be as heartless as the title implies because this didnt even make me sad.

and i think it has to do with the pacing, because the characters are fine. i think i could have been more engaged with cath and jest if there was a better flow to their story. its extremely drawn out and slow with very few interactions
Bibi
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Arrrgggh... I can feel the knives being sharpened. *gulp*

So, can we talk about this book first before you send the knife my way?

Heartless is an imagined prequel to Alice in Wonderland but with its main focus being the "Queen of Hearts", she of the famous "Off with their heads" quote.

photo 26926e15-1b5c-426b-8489-6b0e19db04fa_zpslsykouv3.png

Alice in Wonderland is a fantastical story written in 1865 by Lewis Carrol, who created the glorious dystopian world of Wonderland replete with a talking cheshire cat, a bumbling rabbit, knaves, Jabberwocks and muc
Melanie
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melanie by: Mary
Heartless blew me away. If you've been following my reviews for a while, you will know that I wasn't the biggest fan of The Lunar Chronicles. Yes, I know, I can barely believe it either. So, I went into this book not expecting much, and maybe that helped, because this book blew me away. It surpassed every expectation I set for a five star book, and it was nothing short of perfection.

Also, regarding The Lunar Chronicles, Fairest was my favorite installment in that series, and the book I gave the
Simona B
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5

"She would not allow fate to trick her out of this dream."

I almost didn't read this. I thought, Oh well, another retelling. It can wait. I've got more promising things to read at the moment. But when I saw how stunning this hardback was, the shallower half of me immediately decided she had to read it like yesterday.
Have I mentioned how much I love Shallow-Me?

•First of all, I think Marissa Meyer showed great wisdom in the choice of the story. Retelling the Queen of Hearts gave her the possibil
mxa ☂︎
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Red Roses

"A finely crafted hat makes a person ... bolder."

This is my first novel from Marissa Meyer and I have to say that I'm very happy with what I got. I pretty much went into it with no expectation. I only knew that it's somehow a retelling of Alice in Wonderland but really, it's the villain's story before she became the notorious Queen of Hearts and that was intriguing enough for me. Yet, Meyer managed to fill it up with a beautiful and fast-paced story that I was hooked from start to end
Elena
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
They were all a little mad, if one was to be forthright.

BUDDY READ WITH SUNNY, MY FAVORITE CHILD.

Okay so, it's a big surprise I enjoyed this. I knew I would simply because it's Marissa Meyer and she did not disappoint me with her Lunar Chronicles series, so I knew this would happen. Marissa is the only author that is able to write novels that captivate me from the very first sentence. To be honest, I dislike retellings a lot. I won't say I hate them, but we aren't very good friends.
Anne
Feb 10, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF 53%
I almost never give up on a book, but...
Yikes. Um. Yeah, no.
Sorry this one just isn't for me. I tried. But, it was just too boring for my personal taste.
I should probably mention that I'm not an Alice in Wonderland fan. I've never read it, and I never plan to. In fact, I've never even made it all the way through the Disney movie. I know it's a classic and all, but even the animated version bores me.

description

I'm not saying this story is boring, just that it's boring to me.
Catherine is the daug
Tiea Martin
Sep 24, 2013 marked it as to-read
ANOTHER BOOK BY MY ULTIMATE FAVORITE AUTHOR?!!!??
excited photo: SNL - Excited Trek fans gif STSNLTrekkiesExcited.gif

pouting photo: goaway.gif
P
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
“Roses are red, violets are blue,
I would even trim my moustache for you!”

This book is magic. I could feel it everywhere when words were recounted, when songs were chanted and when hearts were broken. Other than that, the book made me giggle continually. Catherine has the great development since the beginning. Her character is played out an exact direction as a good girl constrained by traditions. And then she meets Jest, her heart is conveyed out of the path of marrying the King of Hearts.
Sophie
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I cried.

IN DEPTH VIDEO REVIEW COMING SOON.

I... am speechless.
Debra
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books

A Heart, once stolen, can never be taken back.

Oh how delicious this book was!

Catherine loves to bake. She dreams of owning her own bakery one day. She would love to just bake and bake and bake. It makes her happy and gives her purpose. Her parents, on the other hand, have other plans for her. For you see, the King fancies her. One cannot be Queen and bake delectable pastries at the same time! Not here, Not in Wonderland!

At a Royal ball where the King is expected to propose to her, she m
Charlotte May
“These things do not happen in dreams, dear girl,’ he said, vanishing up to his neck. ‘They happen only in nightmares.’

This was great! In the beginning, I wasn’t sure - it was rather cutesy, and I found Cath slightly irritating.
But as I carried on, this book grew darker and darker! I loved being immersed in Meyer’s version of Wonderland, with many characters to be recognised; including the Caterpillar, the White Rabbit, the Hatter, March Hare, Doormouse, Cheshire Cat and even Mary-Ann for any
Joelle (Throne of books)
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-reviews
   *3.5 stars*
Heartless by Marissa Meyer is an Alice in Wonderland prequel set long before the infamous Queen of Hearts was the terror of Wonderland. Back when she was just a girl who wanted to fall in love.

While being one of the most beautiful girls in wonderland and a favorite of the King of Hearts, as a talented baker all Catherine wants is to open a bakery with her best friend.  Unfortunately, her parents such a dream is absurd for someone who could be the next queen.
  Not reciprocating
demi. ♡
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-physical
❥ 4.5 / 5 stars

I’m heartless now because this book has just broken my heart❗️

- Deducted 0.5 stars for my love-hate relationship with Catherine. -
alexandra
May 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: macmillan, read-2016
***FULL REVIEW ORIGINALLY AT www.twirlingpages.com!

marissa meyer twisted together a tale that is different, and yet familiar.

i had high expectations going on HEARTLESS. marissa meyer is one of my favorite authors and ALICE IN WONDERLAND is one of my favorite stories. naturally, the mix would be amazing. but this book is nothing like THE LUNAR CHRONICLES, and this story is not your ordinary retelling. i came to love the story and its characters, but i do have some minor complaints.

before beginni
Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒

My Rating:

Synopsis:

“It was impossible, and she absolutely believed it.”

Catherine Pinkerton lives in Hearts. She is the only daughter of Marquess and Marchioness. King of Hearts fancies her to be his wife and Queen of Hearts. But Catherine has other plans. The throne of Hearts does not appeal her. She is a baker at heart and has a dream of opening her own bakery where she could make delectables that no one has ever tasted. But that is not the only thing she dreams about.

Both her dre
Drew
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
“If ever I get married, I want there to be romance, and passion. I want to fall in love.”

4 1/2 stars. This book broke my heart. What a cruel ending. And yet, I saw it coming the whole time, which probably made it even harder to bear.

Oh my goodness, this book! I loved it so much and I think I'm in danger of becoming a hardcore Marissa Meyer fan. Like, I want to go to her house and demand she write a sequel. And bring a certain character back to life. *sobs*

Heartless is an evil, torturous addi

• Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
  • To Kill a Kingdom
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Legendary (Caraval, #2)
  • How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air, #3.5)
  • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
  • Daughter of the Siren Queen (Daughter of the Pirate King, #2)
  • A ​Court of Silver Flames (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #4)
  • The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1)
See top shelves…
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my husband and beautiful twin daughters. Represented by Jill Grinberg. Learn more about me and my upcoming books at http://www.marissameyer.com.

Articles featuring this book

Whether it’s magic schools, dystopias, paranormal love stories, or contemporary explorations of important real-life issues, young adult books...
“But hoping," he said, "is how the impossible can be possible after all.” 613 likes
“It is a dangerous thing to unbelieve something only because it frightens you.” 544 likes