Start by marking “Of Scars and Stardust” as Want to Read:
Of Scars and Stardust

Of Scars and Stardust

After her little sister mysteriously vanishes, seventeen-year-old Claire Graham has a choice to make: stay snug in her little corner of Manhattan with her dropout boyfriend, or go back to Ohio to face the hometown tragedy she's been dying to leave behind.

Published October 8th 2014 by Flux

To ask other readers questions about Of Scars and Stardust, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Brooke Fugate
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Unicorn
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kelsey Macke
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads
I was lucky enough to read an early version of this story and as I told Andrea at the time, this book kept me up at night. I didn't want to sleep. I wanted only to wrap myself in the anxiety and tension and beautiful words that Andrea put together in this wonderful story.

I do know Andrea personally, but I assure you, this book is one that I will personally buy MULTIPLE copies of to give as gifts to friends who love gorgeous, poetic prose mixed with pacing that doesn't quit and imagery that made
Alexandra Christo
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, contemp

There are some books that are just so gorgeously bizarre, that you become lost in a world of fantasy and madness. And then there are books like this: which try to achieve that and just leave you feeling confused and disappointed instead.

It's not often I ask 'what's this book about?' after I've read it, but I finished Of Scars and Stardust feeling like I wasn't sure what I'd read. Was it about mental illness, or was it actually a paranormal book with wolves? Was it both? I don't even know any mor
Kelli
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 stars.

I have no words.

I am so utterly confused and mindblown.

I don't think I've ever felt as I did after completing this book. Wow. The same word keeps repeating itself over and over again in my head--HOW?!

"Because everything I had ever let myself love withered here, in this cornfield, under the weight of the stars and the sky and the wolf's snapping, yellowed teeth."

I feel like Hazel from The Fault in Our Stars after she completed her favorite book and had so many unanswered questions t
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

excuse-me-gif

Seriously, this was me for a good hour after I finished this book. Then I developed a theory about the book, but it is riddled with spoilers, so I will save that for the end.

So, our main character is Claire. Claire has a sister named Ella, who she positively adores. Some stuff happens to Ella. Claire ends up in New York, where she ditches school on the regular to do drugs with her loser boyfriend. As per the synopsis (so I am not spoiling anything, you see), Claire goes back to her backwoods, me
Finally a good book!

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Flux and NetGalley.)
15-year-old Claire is devastated when her younger sister is attacked and she finds her bleeding in the snow the next morning.
Claire is convinced that the wolves in the woods surrounding her town are the culprits, but nobody else will believe her.
Are the wolves to blame? And what can Claire do to stop them attacking again?

This was a really good mystery story, and I
Rachel
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: An e-galley copy of this book was sent to me by Flux in exchange for an honest review. I received no compensation for this review other than the book itself.

Title: Of Scars and Stardust by Andrea Hannah
Published by: Flux
Publication Date: October 8, 2014

What's Of Scars and Stardust all about?
Seventeen-year-old Claire Graham left Amble, Ohio, two years ago, but the tragedy she tried to outrun still haunts her, even in New York City. Now, following the news that her sister Ella has sud
Karissa
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it

I got a copy of this book through Netgalley. I was intrigued by the title and decided this would be an interesting read after scanning the synopsis. It was a quick read that started out amazing. It’s mostly a mystery of sorts with some ambiguous elements of paranormalcy and mental illness.

Claire lives in a quiet town with her family. Her best friend Rae always teases her about the wolves in the cornfields, the wolves that are drawn to the color periwinkle and the taste of cherry. This all seems
Faye
You know what really pisses me off? When mental illnesses are an excuse for someone's behavior in a book.

I can take it as an excuse in real life, but it really makes me mad, when in a book, the main character has all these hallucinations and such, but it's all because her brain's messed up.

So this mental illness excuse is used for Claire Graham. Back in the day, her sister and her were really close, but after this sister, Ella, was found in the cornfields looking like she was attacked by anima
Abbie
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actual rating - 3.5

I felt sorry for some of the characters in this at times, but I didn't connect with them enough to love them.

This was an interesting read, although it could be very confusing! It made me feel utterly lost at points.
It was an enjoyable read overall though.
Alyssa
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
I think the most enjoyable part of OF SCARS AND STARDUST was that I knew absolutely nothing going into it. It had been sitting on my kindle for ages (whoops) and I started it on a whim.

It quickly hooked me, but the story itself fell flat when I discovered what the resolution was going to be, the reason for the mystery is pretty much revealed in the synopsis, which takes all the fun out of the story in my opinion-I’m glad I didn’t read it before I read the book. (view spoiler)
Farrah
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Thrilling and delightfully unpredictable, Of Scars and Stardust was a wonderful YA read. From the constant threat of danger, to the compelling mystery, the shocking secrets, and the sweet romance, this book was fantastic. I really liked this book.

Claire was a lovely heroine. I liked how protective she was of her sister and how determined she was to keep Ella safe. Her character harbored some truly surprising secrets that made her very interesting. I thought she was great.

Grant was a sweetie. I l
Megan Whitmer
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh. I have no words. Right up until the last chapter I was like- "Ok, I know what's happening. No I don't. Yes. No."

I LOVE books that keep me guessing. The love between Claire and Ella is so clear and real, and that's about the only thing I'm sure of--that love was real. I'm uncertain about nearly everything else, and now I want to read it again to look for more clues. The way this story was told was perfect. Andrea is a master.
Kristen Jett
I need to wipe my face, dry my tears, and pull myself together before reviewing. But I'm fairly certain this will be my best read of the year. Which is a ballsy thing to think in February.

Full review to come. <3
Zack
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Best Book I've ever read
Megan  (YABookers)
4,5 Stars
I received this free from the publisher via NetGalley

Release Date - 8th October (I think, Amazon says 8th Oct, but Book Depository says November 5th?)

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD.

The two most important things I took with me when I left Amble: Ella’s periwinkle bird and a mountain of guilt. I took the same two things with me when I came back.

Claire Graham is sent to New York after an attack on her sister Ella when walking home at night. Claire blames herself, as do the town Amble. Claire can’
Holly
May 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Words Fueled by Love

Unfortunately I had a lot of "life happens" interruptions while trying to read this book and that resulted in me putting it down and picking it up for short snippets here and there over a month long period. 336 pages in a month?! That's ridiculously slow for me. My interest level never really grew enough for me to want to come back to the story. And because of that my overall rating dropped some. I couldn't seem to get deep enough involved with the story line or the character
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-galleys
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

After reading the blurb for this story this book promises a really mysterious and rather dark story with a main character that has a lot to deal with and I'm happy to say that it delivers. Not only that, but I found books that are somewhere in between reality and paranormal really interesting and they always turn into a great reads. Of Scars and Stardust did too.

It all starts in winter, one winter many years ago when Claire witnessed a really shocking moment
Elle
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. And I never lie about books...

Of Scars and Stardust really gets 3.5 stars. It was a departure from my usual reads, but I quite enjoyed it. I will admit that I was a little lost and confused for a good portion of the book, which probably cost it a little in terms of rating. I understand that it was on purpose, but a little bit of clarity could be a good thing. There was a bit of choppiness present wit
Kimi (Geeky Chiquitas)
It was extremely frustrating reading this book because I had no idea what was happening. I'm not the type of reader who likes surprises or speculating about things, so there were times I wanted to tear my eyes out. I found Claire to be a very unreliable narrator but the writing was nice enough. Overall, book was fairly decent, had some nice twists and turns and left me mindblown at the end. Would recommend to fans of paranormal or psychological stuff.
Ariel
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: standalone
Disappointing. Unsatisfying. None of the promise the book showed actually amounted to much. I'm hovering between giving it an extra star just for the excellent title and concept, so sure. Two stars. Do not recommend.
Jolene Haley
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reads
Review to come!

But let me just say, WOW! This is a fantastic read! Debut author Andee has really set the bar high for everyone else. This will be a tough book to beat in 2014! Love love love.
Isis
Review shall be posted closer to the review dateI would like to thank Flux and NetGalley for granting me a copy of this e-ARC to read in exchange for an honest review. Though I received this e-book for free that in no way impacts my review.

Goodreads Blurb:
Tyler Deren
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
Some editing issues aside, I enjoyed it!
Cassie
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
4.5 Stars

What a great book! So many twists and turns during this book. I was kept on my toes the whole time while reading this, and it was hard to put down. Claire Graham was a fantastic character, and the evolution of herself throughout the book was thrilling to read. This book was soooooo good. The writing, the plot, the characters, everything was amazing! I can't even put my thoughts into words. I think it is best to go in not expecting anything other than the synopsis on the back. I recommen
Larissa
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
You can also find this review at : YA Midnight Reads

Of Scars and Stardust was an unexpectedly engrossing read that had me flipping pages throughout the night and gasping once reading that crazy confusing but plot changing ending.

Though I did find Of Scars and Stardust to be a truly captivating read, it wasn’t like that from the very start. It actually did take some time for the action to develop and I did find it to be on the slow side. Yes, the writing throughout the entire story was beautifu
Holly
*eARC kindly provided by Flux via NetGalley*
*Review can be found at The Fox's Hideaway.

My Review!
Before the start of this, I was hoping beyond all hope that I'd love this because the author is a Michigan native (which I think is so cool). And I'm so happy to say that I did love this! While I wasn't sure of my feelings in the beginning, that quickly changed once the pace picked up and all of the mysteries are unraveled.

I really liked the main character's voice, Claire Graham. At first, I wasn't r
Stacie (Shy Book Nerd)
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Of Scars and Stardust looked like an intense psychological thriller that would keep on my toes, but the overall story turned out to be a drag for me. I just couldn't get into it sadly. It reminded me of mix between the Shiver series by Maggie Stiefvater and Complicit by Stephanie Kuehn. It was bizarre, choppy, slow, and that ending was seriously depressing. I guess these kinds of stories aren't my thing. I certainly know other people would enjoy this book, so I'm not discouraging anyone from rea ...more
Mieneke
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Andrea Hannah’s Of Scars and Stardust was a compelling read, but also one that is hard to review. Saying too much might spoil Hannah’s careful build-up of the narrative and the story’s suspense, but at the same time it’s hard to talk about it without touching upon anything that might give hints about how the story ends. So, be warned, I’ll try to review the story without spoilers, but there might be some.

The narrator of the story and its heart is Claire. I loved her voice, but she is a completel
Rayne
Of Scars and Stardust is a dreamy, unpredictable and beautifully written story of two sisters and the mystery of the thin line between reality and fantasy in one girl's mind.

I had no idea what to expect when I first started this book, but right from the start, I was mesmerized by it. Granted, this is a sort of slow book, one that takes its time setting everything up and developing, but there's a very poetic beauty to the way the author weaved her story. I was completely enchanted from beginning
Ruthsic
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it

But the memories of that night still haunt her in the city, and as hard as she tries to forget what her psychiatrist calls her "delusions," Claire can't seem to escape the wolf's eyes or the blood-speckled snow. Delusion or reality, Claire know
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Blackfin Sky
  • Creed
  • Evidence of Things Not Seen
  • Sweet Unrest (Sweet Unrest #1)
  • The Last Changeling (The Last Changeling, #1)
  • Six Feet Over It
  • A Murder of Magpies
  • Wordless (Words Made Flesh, #1)
  • Follow Me Through Darkness (Boundless, #1)
  • Kiss Kill Vanish
  • Mayday
  • Damsel Distressed
  • Pendulum (The Neumarian Chronicles, #2)
  • Wicked Games (Wicked Games, #1)
  • Inland
  • The Chance You Won't Return
  • Feral
Andrea Hannah is an award-winning author, essayist, and workshop leader. She teaches on living a healthy creative life at her Wild Heart retreats and writes about making art on Twitter and Instagram (@andeehannah). You can also find her at www.andreahannah.com
“Sometimes you ignore the bad things about the people you love because you love them so much.” 2 likes