Start by marking “Dead Lil' Hustler (A Loon Lake Mystery #14)” as Want to Read:
Dead Lil' Hustler (A Loon Lake Mystery #14)

Dead Lil' Hustler

(A Loon Lake Mystery #14)

Lew recruits her clos
Published June 18th 2014 by Gallery Books (first published May 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Lil' Hustler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Lil' Hustler

Start your review of Dead Lil' Hustler (A Loon Lake Mystery #14)
Dianna
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
#14 in the Loon Lake series set in small town in the northwoods of Wisconsin.
Another cozy mystery that Victoria Houston does not disappoint.
Fun and charming with a cast of unconventional characters. 3.4 stars
Eileen Lynx
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great story
Joan
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wolves are killing dogs in the woods and Doc's little grandson, Cody, is in the hospital with meningitis and they don't know if he will make it.

A young scientist is killed while practicing the art of tenkara, Japanese fly fishing, and the body of a snowmobiler is found with a bullet hole in his helmet. While he is visiting Cody in the hospital, an obnoxious bank owner is asking Doc a lot of questions about what they found in the woods. Why is he so interested?
Cyndy Warnier
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fun romp, clean humor and good plot. Love the Loon Lake series!

If you live or lived in northern Wisconsin and enjoy a fun mystery without vulgarity, this series is great!! Good plot v abd the characters are always surprising and pretty normal for the Northwoods. I know, I grew up there!!
Julie
Llewellyn Ferris and her team have to figure out what's going on after the discovery of a skeleton in the forest plus a murdered student. Both were found in a section of forest that's a wolf rendezvous site. They also take time to learn Japanese fly fishing from the father of the student.

Good story. When I need to read something comfortable, I pick up one of these. Love the characters.
kristin gearhart
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
great mysteries which take place in and around the great outdoors. Love to fish? Another welcome side story to the novel.
Baglady
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wplc-holdings
summer, can't remember the murder, but the grandson had meningitis! more realistic?
Rhonda
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
My Review:Dead Lil' Hustler by Victoria Houston (A Loon Lake Mystery #14)

4 STARS

I believe this is book #14 in the series. I have only read three of them so far. They have lots of fishing in the books. Interesting characters that I like and want to know more about. Clean read, full of drama, some action and humor.

Police Chief Lewellyn Ferris is one of the main characters. She is single and fly fisherman. Her close friend is Doc Osborne.

Doc Osborne is a retired Dentist. He is a widower. He also h
Annie
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
4 stars, review to come...:)

I really enjoyed this book. I had no idea it is 13th in the series but I had no problem following the story lines. The book is simple, in a good old fashioned way, where family and community matter. This is a low key and sometimes humorous read with no unnecessary violence or sex.
What originally led me to the book was the title, it intrigued me, I had no idea what it meant until about halfway through when I just had to chuckle...:)
There are a few story lines going on
Roxann
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
From the cover: It's mid-July in Loon Lake, and Police Chief Lewellyn Ferris has her hands full with the discovery of the skeletal remains of a missing bank executive and the murder of graduate student. To complicate matters, both victims were discovered on a hidden river deep in the national forest--a place that just so happens to be a dangerous wolf rendezvous site. Lew recruits her close friend and fellow fly fisherman, retired dentist "Doc" Osborne, for his forensic and interrogation skills. ...more
Alan Mills
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
Nice murder mystery from small town Wisconsin. Apparently, this is the most recent in a long series....but it is the only one I've read (courtesy copy from publisher, TyrusBooks TYVM), so I can't comment on how it fits into the series.

As a stand alone, it's great. The key murder happens in the first couple of pages. So we start off with a bang. The author then steps back and establishes the "good guy" characters: Chief of Police, a competent woman who struggles at times for respect in a male dom
Jim
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
I usually enjoy Victoria Houston's Loon Lake series. This book, however, was not anything like her best. It was mildly entertaining, but I found the plot clunkily put together, and the characters seemed to just shuffle through events. Sometimes, when characters seemed confused by things that were obvious, it felt like they'd lost IQ points since the last book. There was also some stuff about wolves as dangerous killers that feeds into a barely believable plot device. [Wolves are very dangerous t ...more
Kimberly
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy
I really enjoy this series for the setting not the mysteries themselves. I could care less about fly fishing myself, but something about the characters, the strong female fly fishing chief of police and 'Doc' the retired dentist with his crazy fly fishing guide neighbor and the rural setting keeps me hooked.
Pat
Nov 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Enjoyable story, mostly because I hail from Wisconsin and have a love for northern Wisconsin where the Loon Lake stories take place. I like the way Victoria Houston is able to convey the language and cultural subtleties of "up-north" Wisconsin. The characters are endearing, especially Ray. The Loon Lake series of stories are very easy, fast reading.
Dianne
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I have enjoyed these books. I knew nothing about fly fishing. I've never been to Wisconsin. But there is such good description of the area that I feel like I've been there now. I even enjoyed reading about the fishing. I like the assortment of characters who inhabit these books. I hate that I'm almost at the end of this series.
Nancy Hansen
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the 14th book in the Loon Lake Mystery Series written by Victoria Houston. I am a biased reader because Victoria and I live in the same town and I see her routinely at one of our local grocery stores. I have read all but the last in the series and have enjoyed them all. Quick reads with murder, criminals, great characters, and a great up north feel.
Patti
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
It is the same story as usual, but with less character development. And where is the editor? In an earlier book we were told in detail several times that Doc had no interest whatsoever in tying flys. Now in this book we are told that he has a room all set up for this hobby, and that he and Lew spend many evenings sharing this hobby. Really?
Dave Ginger
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
A fun, quick read...especially if you have a fondness for the north woods of Wisconsin
Robin Halvorson
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book as I have enjoyed the entire series. My only complaint is that it will be a year before the next one comes out.
Nan Hurley
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, and this series. Victoria Houston is a very fine story teller with great stories to tell.
John Barr
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winner

Another great book. The whole series flows from one book to the next. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Al Stoess
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Houston fans. Ferris fans. Osborne fans.
Interesting low-key book. Worth reading.
Elizabeth
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. I just read the latest of Houston's books. Now have to go back and read the rest
Joann
Dec 04, 2014 rated it liked it
The latest in the Loon Lake mystery series. Easy, fun read.
Glenda
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good cozy mystery
Janet Gasser
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pleasant mystery reading, although a little predictable
Rachelle Knapp
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!!!

This is an excellent series!! I loved this one!!! Although I can't pick my favorite! Because They are all great!!! Can't wait till the next!!!
☺Trish
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Lots about "tenkara", a Japanese-style of fly fishing.
Stacey
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Quick read with fun characters.
Nancy
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I just can't get enough of the folks in Loon Lake!
Woohoo Can't wait for it to come out!! 1 3 Oct 26, 2013 04:24PM

• Flowers in the Snow (The Edenville Series, #1)
  • Murder on Sisters' Row (Gaslight Mystery, #13)
  • Murder on Waverly Place (Gaslight Mystery, #11)
  • Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1)
  • The Golden Egg (Commissario Brunetti, #22)
  • The Body in the Piazza (Faith Fairchild, #21)
  • Elizabeth & Leicester: Power, Passion, Politics
  • Through a Glass, Darkly (Commissario Brunetti, #15)
  • Falling in Love (Commissario Brunetti, #24)
  • Under the Radar (Zoe Chambers Mystery #9)
  • Death at Gills Rock (Dave Cubiak, #2)
  • The Nail Knot (Fly Fishing Mysteries #1)
  • Killing Mind (D.I. Kim Stone #12)
  • The Shrine (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #16)
  • Deep Dish
  • Murder by the Book (Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery, #1)
  • Ruin Beach (DI Ben Kitto, #2)
  • Death by Killer Mop Doll (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery, #2)
She is the author of the Loon Lake Mystery Series -- DEAD ANGLER, DEAD CREEK, DEAD WATER, DEAD FRENZY, DEAD HOT MAMA, DEAD JITTERBUG, DEAD BOOGIE, DEAD MADONNA, DEAD HOT SHOT, DEAD RENEGADE. DEAD DECEIVER, DEAD TEASE and DEAD INSIDER, DEAD LIL’ HUSTLER, DEAD RAPUNZEL, DEAD LOUDMOUTH, DEAD SPIDER, DEAD FIREFLY the 18th in the series, will be published in JUNE 2018 in hardcover, trade paperback and ...more

A Loon Lake Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Creek (A Loon Lake Mystery #2)
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)
  • Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Boogie (A Loon Lake Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)
  • Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)